Exclusive

Exclusive: NCIS Enlists Greg Germann to Play Vance's Deputy

NCIS Season 10 Casts Greg GermannThe NCIS hierarchy will be fleshed out some when viewers meet Jerome Craig, the deputy director who serves under Vance.

And playing the potentially recurring role, TVLine has learned exclusively, will be Greg Germann, whose myriad TV credits include Ally McBeal and most recently, Showtime’s House of Lies.

RELATED | Matt’s Inside Line Has Scoop on NCIS‘ ‘McAbby’

“I’ve been a big fan of Greg’s going back to Ally McBeal and [the mid-'90s legal drama] Sweet Justice, and he’s a gifted actor with incredible timing and a wonderful sense of humor,” NCIS showrunner Gary Glasberg tells TVLine. “Playing the NCIS Deputy Director means carrying a lot of weight on his shoulders. He’s really going to bring the character of Jerome Craig to life.”

Germann — whose other recent guest-starring gigs include Common Law and Drop Dead Diva — will make his first NCIS appearance sometime in January.

RELATED | NCIS Exclusive: Alex Kingston Cast in ‘A Very Disturbing’ November Episode

NCIS fans, what do you make of Deputy Director Craig’s introduction? Think Gibbs will appreciate another layer of supervision?

1. SJ says:

Oh my god, it’s Richard Fish!

2. Mena says:

I thought Granger from NCIS: Los Angeles was the deputy director. Is there more than one deputy director? Anyway, I’ve been a fan of Greg Germann ever since FOX’s ‘Ned & Stacey,’ so I look forward to seeing him on NCIS.

3. Melody Paris says:

I’m confused. NCIS already has a Deputy Director, not that I like him all that much, the universe of NCIS introduced us to Deputy Director Granger through LA.

4. ninamags says:

OMG! Ned and Stacy! I remember that show :)

5. Tom D. says:

I could be mistaken but I believe Granger is Assistant Director. Now what’s the difference between Deputy Director and Assistant Director is anybody’s guess.

6. Gibbs definatly wont be happy. He has more than enough people above him he has to listen too.

• Isabelle Frankenfield says:

Instead of a new Deputy Director to annoy LJ Gibbs, I would much rather see veteran guest stars like Charles Durning who was so magnificent in 2004. Gibbs doesn’t need more red tape to fight through! Just let Gibbs and his team do what they do best. Catch the bad guys or girls as the case may be!!

7. tvdiva says:

I have lots of questions. What is the agenda of this character? Is he after Vance’s job, or is he just there to dish out Vance’s orders? Is he trying to make a name for himself with the other agencies and SecNav, or is there a bigger threat in the second half of the season where he is truly needed to support Vance? And what is the impact to Gibbs and his team? Too many layers of supervision is never a good thing.

8. Lyn says:

Last saw Germann doing a hilarious turn on “Raising Hope.” Kind of hate to see him in a role in which (I presume) he can’t be funny.

9. Mike Villar says:

There is no need for another layer of supervision over the team. Vance has no problems getting his message across. Getting his orders followed by Gibbs is another story.

10. Mel says:

Another boring recurring character.I’d rather the show devote more time to it’s regular cast. For some reason Glasberg loves to drool over the guest stars and ignore his talented and under-used cast. More team focus please.

11. lizzie says:

If there’s a deputy director, where’s he been for the last ten years? I don’t see the point.

12. Carol says:

I love that guy. Hopefully he will be funny and not too much drama although he can play that we’ll too !

13. shirley says:

Stay with the main stars…guest stars are fine but…the true stars are the cast!! Whoohoo Mark Harmon!!! Been watching him since the 70’s! And David McCallum since the 60’s!!!

14. Zorkel567 says:

Anybody else think this could be Vance’s final year on the show? The last time a deputy director was intorduced on the show (Vance, Season 5) he replaced the director at the time at the end of the season. And now we have another Deputy Director.
    Also, Rocky Carrol only renewed his contract for one year, rather than 2 like the rest of the cast has/does. Also, it’s been said Vance will have a big story in the second half of the season. Will Vance retire/resign after his family comes close to harm or is harmed? Thoughts?

• tvdiva says:

You bring up interesting and valid points, especially about the one year contract. Either Rocky Carroll could not negotiate two years and only gone one, or he plans on being available for other TV series and movie roles. That and NCIS has never shied away from killing off major characters.

• ine says:

Thought Rocky Caroll signed for two yrs but he does have or had an other project running due wiich he was not much to see the first episodes.

Do not really think Gibbs and the rest of the team will appreciate it but then, they do not have a choice I guess. Wonder what the purpose is from his caracter

• Gee says:

I hope not! I like Vance.

15. sladewilson says:

what happened to Granger on NCIS LA? I thought he was the deputy director?

16. arial2 says:

Maybe the character is going to be a SecNav “plant.” Each SecNav we’ve seen to date has been a shady character who seems to feel the Director and the teams have too much integrity. Perhaps he wants someone with a similar lack of character keeping close tabs on the workings of NCIS?

• nanichick_5 says:

Not really the first Director (season one and two) was very close to Gibbs and let Gibbs have free reign over his team. Jenny did have ulterior motives, however, Jenny and Vance both “played politics very well.” Something that Gibbs does not like but understands.

17. Maria says:

Why?
    Instead of giving us more characters, how about giving us some more character development with the existing cast?

18. Daniel Lucas says:

Ok folks!!! There is multiple Assistant Director. Owen cover California District (Headquarters in San Diego).
    And is this a back-door plot, to bring a A.D., and Leon Out?? Or is Leon taken Owen place??
    Hope that help.

19. Gigi says:

I heard that GERALD MCRANEY was going to play someone’s father? Anyone know about this? I would like this IF he had a big enough part.

20. Suncatcher says:

Vance was notably absent for long stretches last season. Not sure if Rocky Carroll has a renewed one year or two year contract. If one year – why? If NCIS is teeing up Greg Germann to replace Carroll, OK. If Carroll is onboard for 2 years, I am not happy at all that NCIS felt they needed to muddy up the show with a new, superfluous “regular”. Carroll’s Vance has been excellent. If it ain’t broke…

21. Marty says:

No, no, no… I’ve watched ‘House of Lies’ and Germann is a hack, he won’t add anything to the show… Glassberg should put the money into a contract for Diane Neal, bring her over into the NCIS franchise (both as a special agent and xferred from CGIS), and let her be part of the upcoming spin off… name recognition and quality actress that would draw viewership based on the positive responses from her guest appearances.

22. Isabelle C. zfrankenfield says:

A new Deputy Director isn’t necessary. Gibbs has enough red tape to cut through now. Let him and his fantastic team do what they do best – solve crimes. My philosophy is if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. I fervently hope Team Gibbs graces our tv’s for many more years!!!!

23. Isabelle Frankenfield says:

I have watched NCIS since it first aired. The chemistry is magic between the main characters. Adding new actors does nothing to enhance the show. Team Gibbs is perfection personified. Leroy Jethro Gibbs is the glue that holds it all together. Instead of a new Asst. Director isn’t needed. Mote red tape isn’t necessary. Instead, bring on more vetern actors like Charles Durning, season 4 , Ralph Waite recurring as Gibbs’ father and more in the same vein like Robert Wagner, Tony’dad.. This takes advantage of their expertise and enhances the show. Long live NCIS!!!!!!!

24. Roderick Mills says:

I like the new assistant director. Part of Vance’s clout was his tie to Ziva’s father and he is dead. Vance’s wife is dead, and he is emotionally compromised. He can’t simply take revenge like Gibbs did as he has his kids to think of and his wife’s memory. This show has one more year after this one and they are leading up to a nice closing season, and that actually includes real life development like death unfortunately. If this show continues after next year, I think it will be with Gibbs and Vance making cameos or special episode appearances. Things change. This idea is popular, and Harmon is great, but he is getting older, and they will have to give this to Tony at some point or let it go.