ABC Cancels Last Resort and 666 Park Avenue

Last Resort CancelledABC has done what the U.S. Armed Forces could not: It sunk the Colorado.

The network is choosing not to move forward with Last Resort and 666 Park Avenue, TVLine has confirmed.

RELATED | ABC’s Nashville Gets Full-Season Pick-Up

Despite a recent order for two more scripts apiece — traditionally seen as a vote of confidence — neither series will receive a back-nine pick-up, meaning both series will end after 13 episodes.

An ABC rep tells TVLine the network is planning to air the remaining hours in their entirety.

Both freshman dramas had struggled to maintain an audience. Thursday’s Last Resort, which reportedly was an important factor in whether or not the series would receive a full-season pick-up, saw a slight ratings drop to 5.8 million total viewers and a 1.3 demo rating.

Similarly, last Sunday’s 666 Park earned only 4 mil/1.3, matching the previous episode’s series low.

1. Scarlet says:

Last Resort was the only new show I was watching this season. Sorry to see this one go…I was just starting to like a few of the characters. No more ABC shows for me. Back to CBS full time!!

2. cate says:

Why ABC? Whyyyyyyy?

Hopefully someone will pick up Daniel Lissing’s Aussie goodness and Abs ;)

3. Amy says:

I really like Last Resort, so I’m not thrilled that it’s being cancelled. It took Scott Speedman WAY too long to get back on my TV and I only get to enjoy him for 13 weeks?!?!?! Not acceptable!

4. I just started watching Last Resort 2 days ago and have been ranting and raving to all my friends about how great it is. So of course this happens. Of course.

5. Nero theTVFiddler says:

We knew this day was coming – Friday before the Thanksgiving holiday….ouch. I was unhappy about Partners cancellation earlier today – now ABC’s turn. A shame – these shows had promise, but TV is a business, and the numbers were not there.

As I noted on the ‘Partners’ posting, the silver lining here is that there are a tremendous amount of talented actors/actresses/crew involved in these shows, and with the early cancellations, this frees all of them up to work in upcoming Fall2013 pilots that will be staffing up after the new year. We’ll see many of these fine actors/actresses again in the fall [if not sooner].

So, what will ABC do now? I think we’ll see Body of Proof at 10pm Tuesdays (replacing Private Practice), Zero Hour at 8pm Thursdays (replacing Last Resort) and Red Widow at 10pm Sundays replacing 666). Time to try out these new series and BoP’s return to see if ABC has better luck in the second half of season. I expect ABC to make there scheduling announcements asap.

To be honest, ABC is having a tough season so far – Nashville is really the only new series that is surviving, and it is not doing all that well either. ABC needs a hit from their new batch of series – a lot riding on Zero Hour and Red Widow – and comedies Live w/Parents and Family Tools.

6. Ryan says:

So is ordering additional scripts a ploy to make people think it will be around longer?

7. Britta Unfiltered says:

666 was on Sunday, right? That’s a pretty terrible night to premiere new shows this season. There are just way too many high-rated established dramas on Sundays to compete with. I think people feel overwhelmed with so much to watch and process. Personally, I need at least an hour break after Walking Dead where I can just go read stuff about the episode and talk with my friends about it, and sort of come down from it. And then it’s off to Dexter and Homeland, and by the time those are done, I’m pretty much finished with TV for the night. I wonder if it could have done better on another night?

• Spencer says:

Actually, putting 666 there was pretty ingenious. It came right after ABCs two other highest-rated dramas, so it was a smart move to put it after them.

8. James says:

Oh GD that really pisses me off, Last Resort was one of my favorite new shows if it weren’t for Arrow (Yeah I Know I’m a nerd) Last Resort would be it it is hands down better than Revolution. it goes to show how ignorant most americans are they simply couldn’t take watching something that was complex and and thought provoking. this really sucks, another network should pick it up.

9. Amy says:

Oh yay, I guess this means MORE reality tv. Can’t wait for that

10. Diz says:

This saddens me. I watched both shows every week and really liked 666. I thought 666 was very unique for what else is on today. This sucks.

11. Jennifer says:

Last Resort cancelled now maybe Danno can get his girlfriend back!

12. CJ says:

I tried 666, but couldn’t get into it. I do like Last Resort – I just don’t really think the early time slot did this kind of show any favors.

13. TMW says:

Serrat had better be dead by the end of Last Resort’s season finale. Just saying.

14. Riah says:

I really liked both those shows, So sad. I actually watched 666 live, and it was horrible in the beginning but I stuck with it and it’s now getting really good. I hope they wrap things up unlike other shows that get cancelled. I guess I’ll just stop watching freshman shows. This is the 3rd year in a row I’ve found shows I’ve liked to have them ripped away. Networks just don’t understand viewers anymore and I believe that more and more people are going to start doing that as well. No use getting invested.

15. Shelby says:

Not really surprised by either one. And not upset about 666 Park Avenue. It had such potential and I kept waiting for it to reach it but it never. I thought maybe it’d get better as we got into it but it actually got worse.

But I am quite sad to see Last Resort go. It’s a great concept, and while it has had a few not-so-great episodes/elements, I think it was one of the best ones this season. It definitely kept my interest, even though I kind of wished they’d just cut the whole storyline/view of D.C. I was really starting to get into it and just hope it draws some conclusions before the end of the 13. I really wish a cable network, like TNT or FX, would pick it up because they could do so much more with it, but that’s just wishful thinking. :(

16. Denise says:

Damn it… I loved Last Resort. I bet we don’t get a proper resolution to the series either. Hopefully, another network, can pick it up.

17. kavyn says:

They were both my favourite new shows on ABC. I don’t understand why they were doing so poorly :(

18. Linda Lou says:

REALLY gonna miss last resort.

19. Sara says:

I am SO MAD about Last Resort. This show had such great potential. I will miss having Andre Braugher and Scott Speedman on my tv again. There goes my dream of them getting Kyle Secor on there as a guest star in a scene with Braugher. Sigh.

20. Are you (insert cuss word here) kidding me, This is some straight up (insert cuss word here), These (insert cuss word here) wouldn’t know a quality (insert cuss word here) show if it bit them on the (insert cuss word here) (insert cuss word here), I am sick and (insert cuss word here) tired of getting into good shows, just so they can snatch it up. (insert cuss word here) ‘em, (insert cuss word here) in their (insert cuss word here)!!!! Somebody call TNT, maybe they’ll pick it up!

21. Elyse says:

that sucks :( 666 was getting better with every episode and I love last resort.

22. cj says:

If its cancelled why would we watch the rest of the episodes. It’s dumb to even air them.

• A says:

so because it was cancelled there was no reason for me to watch, and re-watch, those too few episodes of firefly which aired? seriously, if you enjoy it just watch it, show the network they made the wrong decission

• Elyse says:

I probably won’t finish watching either.

23. djmadlogic says:

The wife and I love 666 Park Avenue, Last Resort was okay, but we lost interest.

24. Corie says:

Very happy about this! Triedto watch last resort it I mad not an ounce of sense! And 666 park ave was a AHS rip off that sucked

25. Maria says:

666 Park Avenue would have been better on a different day and time. Taking Last Resort off really sucks, how about taking off some of these so call “reality ” shows off. I hope they reconsider on keeping 666 Park Avenue and Last Resort on they both have substance and suspense.

26. Amy says:

666 Park Ave was my new favorite show of the season. I liked the characters and thought that it was good suspenseful fun. Sucko

27. Spencer says:

No!! I loved 666. It was a perfect ending to Sunday nights… And Henry was so cute….

28. Mich says:

666 getting cancelled gives Rachael Taylor the perfect opportunity to go back to playing Lucy on Grey’s. That way Karev can have his grownup lifestyle after all.

29. Buddy Glenn says:

Jeers to ABC for not giving Last Resort a real chance. This drama is intelligent, high quality, and has some fantastic production value with a stellar cast. Unfortunately, the Disney network gave the show the worst time slot — opposite highly-rated The Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men on CBS and part 2 of The X-Factor on Fox. With that against you, there’s not too much hope, unless the audience find it on on-line. The serial and current storyline is deep and is something that’s not easy to follow if you don’t watch weekly.

Here’s what ABC should have done: finish up the current storyline in 13 episodes or so. Then restart the show with another journey; maybe make the stories more adventurous with the crew and sub. Also, move the show to possibly Sunday at 9PM or a later time slot on another day at 10PM.

Give it a fighting chance. There is something to work with here that could easily be retooled. Australia had a multiple season run with a high action and adventurous series called Sea Patrol (watch on Hulu). Last Resort doesn’t deserve to die … because of lousy time slot.

• John says:

Last Resort doesn’t deserve to die … because of lousy time slot. It deserved to die for having lousy writing and thinking the audience wasn’t smart enough. I liked it, but these comments make me think that the show is way too overrated.

30. Juan says:

Noooooo I’m so sad, last resort was the best and my fav new show of the season, I hate people for not watching this Invreadible show instead watching freaking procedural, WTF

31. Ali says:

I’m guessing the cancellation of Last Resort may be due to the upcoming Michael Bay produced project,”The Last Ship” that TNT is working on. With Eric Dane from Grey’s Anatomy as the Captain and Adam Baldwin from Chuck and Firefly as the XO this sounds much better. It is based on a very good novel by William Brinkley and this show should be able to do what Last Resort could not. Hold an audience’s interest. Last Resort was getting silly and losing focus and the premise was hard to believe. I’m really looking forward to “The Last Ship” and hope it airs sooner rather than later. TNT seems to be more careful about scheduling their shows and not moving them around so that should help as well.

32. S says:

That sucks, I thought Last Resort was a good shoe

33. Katie says:

Is there any word on whether the 13th episode of either series ends with a cliff-hanger or with any degree of resolution?
    I wish that TV cancellations would come with the attached commissioning of 2-3 episodes series finales (Summer Spectaculars! Cemetery Season!).

34. Nichole says:

Was feeling good about TV this year, the networks knee jerk reaction to canning a show after 3 episodes if it wasn’t an instant success seemed to have changed, but this week has been worse! Partners, Last Resort and 666 Park Avenue have been on long enough to get more into the shows, be more invested in them, so these cancellations burn worse for that. It’s a shame every year to have good concept shows that don’t fit the typical police procedural or medical drama get cancelled before really getting to find their place. And yes, I know many police and medical shows have been cancelled before a full season, still miss Trauma :(

35. Nicole says:

And I was just catching up and getting into these shows. Bummed that they didn’t get a full season to give the full story and show their full potential.

36. Eric says:

NOOOOOOO!!!

I enjoyed both of these shows, thoug “Last Resort’ in particular. Oh well. New shows will come along next year, I guess…

37. sladewilson says:

I’m sick that Last Resort got cancelled. I had a feeling about 666 but I was hoping against hope that Last Resort would get their back nine. I’m hoping Nashville survives…

38. DeeKayTee says:

I was really enjoying 666 Park Ave. The cast was great and I thought that it was going in a really interesting direction. Pretty upset by this news.

39. Sandra says:

I just watched 666 park ave a few days ago I have no tv but my friend had it on hulu LOVE IT!!! this sucks not many shows I get into and that one I could definately get into

40. Lord Byron says:

I know that abc have a lot of midseason series in the wings but I would have loved it if they commissioned Gothem. Too bad about last resort, really enjoyed the pilot. haven’t seen other episodes yet

41. zxc123 says:

Does anyone know if they had the chance to plan the end? I don’t want it to end on a cliffhanger :(((((((((((((((((((((

42. Kalee says:

A shame. I liked both shows enough that I’ll be sad to see them go. Low ratings this time justified cancellations more so with 666. Poor Last Resort had a deathslot but maybe post FX time and budget didn’t justify ABC’s waiting game. A shame to see the most critically acclaimed new show of the new season get the axe so quickly.

43. PIQ says:

It seems that people are more interested in Jersey Shore than great television :( It’s saaaaaaaaad ABC, it’s very saaaaad :(

44. I don’t know Last Resort (I’m from Italy) but I found 666 Park Avenue appallingly boring, although I like the actors. So I won’t miss it, I think it deserved to be cancelled

45. angelstorm says:

Nooooooooooooooooooooo !! Last Resort was awesome ! One of the shows I looked forward to every week. I’m sad now :(

46. Sarah A. says:

Out of the new shows this year, Last Resort is one of my favorites. It really sucks to hear that it has been canceled! Noooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

47. A.D. says:

I watch both shows…666 is fun, but something was always missing….Last Resort is also very fun and different with compelling plot and acting….but everyone remember if it isn’t Dancing with the Bachelor while swimming in the Shark Tank it isn’t good tv…people have no taste or attention span and it costs those of us who do…(See all the great shows FOX has cancelled over the last decade due to 200 hours of American Idol) World is slowly degrading…yet ABC keeps scandal??? The Neighbors?????? wtf???? The better not cancel Happy Endings or APT. 23….ABC is becoming FOX Part II….any wonder why most great shows are on cabe anymore???

48. tvdiva says:

After investing my time in Awake and GCB last season and watching them both cancelled, I changed my viewing habits. I do not watch a show unless it is renewed for a second season. Then I go back and watch the first season. Networks are not going sucker me into a bad TV relationship ever again.

49. Leo says:

I gave up on 666 after the first two episodes, it is just a bad try of having an AHS type of show that does not work. But Last Resort really grew on me from the pilot, the story is interesting and the plot has potential, too bad.

50. Patricia says:

Ohh no the last resort was my favorite new show ( besides Arrow), I saw maybe 20 min of 666 it wasn’t for me