CBS Pulls the Plug on Partners

CBS Cancels PartnersCBS has cancelled Partners after a half-dozen episodes.

The freshman comedy, starring David Krumholtz and Michael Urie, premiered to 6.5 million total viewers and a 2.4 demo rating, demonstrating just 75 percent retention out of How I Met Your Mother from the get-go. The numbers ebbed and flowed from there, with the show this past Monday hitting a series-low rating of 1.8, while drawing 5.6 million viewers.

VIDEO | How I Met Your Mother Exclusive: Joe Manganiello Chows Down, Screws Up

CBS comedy repeats — beginning with Two and a Half Men on Nov. 19 — will fill the Mondays-at-8:30 void effective immediately, with Rules of Engagement Season 7 or the midseason newbie Friend Me likely to eventually claim the time slot.

Why do you think Partners failed to catch on?

1. Leah Rodriguez says:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo! It was so funny.

2. slizabeth says:

Aw I thought it was hilarious! And had a great cast!

• Nickey says:

Totally agreed. Best sitcom since will&grace… I loved the characters and the chemistry. I laughed so much, i will miss it…

• davej says:

I thought they were just finding their rhythm. The Sklar brothers were a great addition and I wish they had been there since the beginning.

3. Joe says:

It took them long enough , I tried to like it watched it Many times wasn’t funny

4. Chris says:

Will you let us know if they place unaired episodes online or anything? I actually enjoyed this show and thought it had some hilarious moments. The cast chemistry was pretty great.

I hope we’ll be able to see the unaired stuff.

5. Emily says:

I was really enjoying this show! So funny and the cast had such great chemistry. I wish they’d at least let it finish.

6. Kate says:

I’m really sad about this! The first few were rough but I really grew to like the guys. Sophia Bush was still a little wooden, but I felt like the rest were developing a nice chemistry!

7. Thilia says:

So they kill a good show that had decent ratings and the horrific Mob Boss still hasn’t had a hit put on it. What is wrong with these networks.

• Brooke says:

Comparing shows on Fox and CBS isn’t useful though. Different business plans, different baselines for success. Partners was NOT getting decent ratings compared to other CBS sitcoms. Who knows what Fox is doing holding onto Mob Doctor, but the next option must not seem like a smart business move to their execs.

8. Diane says:

Poor Michael Urie. I loved him on Ugly Betty I hope he finds work again soon. :(

9. Steve says:

Certainly tens of people will mourn the passing of this show…

10. jennifer says:

nooo i loved this show! :( i thought it was so funny

11. Rebecca says:

Such a pile of crap!!!!!! This was awesome and hilarious! Filed under another show canceled prematurely..

12. Jon says:

Michael Urie was too way over the top. He was a cartoon instead of a character and pulled focus away from all the other cast members.

13. Ashley says:

I was just gonna start watching this show too. Caught a bit of it the other day and thought it was pretty funny. Oh well… :/

14. Patrick says:

Good premise, but the casting was off. This would have been more believable with Routh as the strait guy. Sophia Bush and David Krumholtz was completely unbelievable. Urie and Krumholtz as the Partners in love would have been way more believable.

• Kristina says:

I agree. I loved the show but it took them way too long to figure out what to do with Wyatt, and as much as I like Brandon Routh he would have fit Krumholtz’s role much better.

15. Polly says:

nnnnoooooooooooooooooooooo
    i really liked it!

16. Amanda says:

I really tried to like it, but couldn’t. Hope Urie and Routh get new shows soon though.

17. Don says:

I thought the show was awesome… so there are no new episodes????
    COME ON MAN! Dont do this to us -.-

18. Jim says:

CBS is a network for the elderly and the uneducated. A show with such a premise was never even going to get sampled by their audience.

• whisperintherain says:

CBS airs The Good Wife, which is probably the smartest network show currently on air, so I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss its audience as uneducated.

• Sg. Grant says:

Even the Good Wife caters to a less intelligent audience, which is a shame for network television. Let’s face it… The smartest shows on are HBO and Showtime.

• Oh, not one of these people who only watch *those* channels again. TV hipsters who cream all over a show that’s “in” at the moment like Homeland, but scoff at actors’/writers’/directors’ earlier works on network TV despite never having seen them. I’ll take The Good Wife over True Blood, Six Feet Under, Tell Me You Love Me and Arliss any day.

• Lisa says:

I never understand comments like this. People can’t change the channel?

19. Mathew Platzer says:

Dear TV Line Reporter:

Wrong use of terminology:

“The numbers ebbed and flowed from there”

ebbed and flowed means to spread out/widen channels, not decrease!

LOL! Stupid TV Line Writer!

• Seriously? To ebb and flow means to waver between fast and slow. It’s a term about rivers. Look up the individual words in a dictionary. You’re not convincing anyone that you’re smarter than anyone.

• Lauren says:

Seriously. I just found this, too:
        “ebb and flow
        to decrease and then increase, as with tides”

So if the ratings decreased/increased here and there. Wait, why is this a topic again LOL?

20. Sampersan says:

It was a great cast but they all seemed to be trying too hard. I really wanted to like it, but got bored quickly.

• Daisy says:

Exactly this. As actors they are great. The characters failed me even though the premise was decent. But as much as I wanted to like it (and as much as I loved seeing Brandon Routh), I just never felt that they were real people.

21. CK says:

:( I really liked Brandon Routh on this show.

22. Anna says:

So unfair!!! I really liked that show…it had a lot of potential…so sad! :(

23. Alex says:

Thank God…. This show was a travesty and I am glad to be able to cancel my DVR pass. The cast had no chemistry, the jokes were trite, and the whole affair was painful.

24. Babybop says:

Sad day! I loved this show. It cracked me up every episode. This is Mad Love all over again…

25. bree says:

good. the show was so terrible.

26. Karrah says:

This one is a bummer. I laughed out loud at this show a lot. My favorite part was actually the cute friendship chemistry between Michael Urie and Sophia Bush. I’m gonna miss this one and I hope Sophia gets another show at some point because I love her.

27. I’m sorry!
    I really loved the show. Brandon Routh always made me laugh. it sucks. .

28. Lisa says:

Yet 2 Broke Girls continues…..

29. Jill says:

So sad. This show had finally found its rhythm. It has been much better than this season of 2 Broke Girls. Must say, I am not going to watch the Two and a Half Men reruns put in its place.

30. DebLG says:

How is 2 1/2 Men still on?! And this funny, smart, sharp show is canceled? I loved this show – they all had great chemistry. That’s too bad….

31. Rob says:

Damn. Really sad about this. Really felt it was starting to find its voice the past few weeks, too.

32. Agi says:

I liked it a lot! So sad :(

33. Why do you think Partners failed to catch on?

Because Will & Grace was canceled 10 years ago.

34. CrimTV says:

Does anyone know how many episodes had been shot before the cancellation? Answer appreciated! :)

35. Chris says:

Laugh track. Turned me off from the start.

• Lauren says:

Yes. I can’t do a laugh track anymore. The only show with laugh track I still watch is HIMYM.

• Sue says:

Yes, yes, yes…the laugh track was loud and distracting. I tried to stay with the show, but I couldn’t find enough good moments to keep going back. I’d love to see David Krumholtz find a great new show.

36. Salad23 says:

Looks like everyone that watched this show is in here. I like to give shows two episodes to see if I like it and I made it thru one. Can we just stop thinking the annoying gay guy is funny. Being annoying isn’t very funny just like this show.

37. lisa says:

so bummed. loved the show. this and vegas are the only two new shows i watch.

38. I would wager that the failure had as much to do with viewer satisfaction (I have no idea if it was any good or not) as it was with viewer awareness as to what the show was supposed to be about. I watch a fair amount of CBS programming (if 3.5 hours or primetime qualifies as such), but all the ads and promos for the show that reached me seemed to either assume that people either knew the set-up of the show — which should never be assumed for a freshman show with less than 12 episodes aired — or would watch because changing the channel would be burdensome.

39. emily says:

they show was finally getting good! the first few episodes were sub-par, but the last few were actually funny. so sad to see sophia bush leaving my television screen again so soon.

40. Anissa says:

So no Mennonite Thanksgiving episode then? I was looking forward to it based off of some interviews I read :(

41. Julie S. says:

This makes me sad :'( I like this show. It is funny. Another reason to watch a different network. What a bummer.

42. 0penny0 says:

It was the best new show of the season both my husband and I loved it. So sas :( -Penny

43. RobMF says:

I was very critical of Michael Urie & David Krumholtz after the first episode but I have to be honest, it got so much better and I thought both were doing a terrific job. At least hopefully this will make my dream of Sophia Bush being The Mother on How I Met Your Mother a little more possible.

44. Ann VerWiebe says:

I really like this show – which is probably what doomed it.

45. Angela says:

Why cancel a great show? Partners is hilarious!

46. Tom says:

The part that’s crazy is that they were just nominated yesterday for a bunch of People’s Choice Awards…you would think CBS would wait until those were over…does this mean they’ll be pulled from the categories? I love Sophia Bush and I fully expect to see her on my Television very soon.

47. Stephanie says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! This was my favorite new comedy!! Everyone was great. That glasses gag with Brandon Routh almost made me pee my pants. I think the fans of the show should mobilize and vote it favorite new comedy for the People’s Choice Awards and stick it to CBS.

48. Ant says:

Sophia Bush was terrible.

49. Tedi says:

Loved this show!!!! The chemistry of the prinicpals was great! Totally loved it :D Hope Micheal Urie and David H find success elsewhere..

50. Diana says:

PARTNERS WAS THE BEST 2012’s SHOW EVER!!!