Ratings: Whitney Returns Down With Season 2 Opener, CSI Inches Up as Nashville Dips

Get More: News, Premieres, Ratings

Whitney Season 2 Premiere RatingsNBC’s Whitney opened Season 2 with 4.3 million total viewers and matching its series low rating of 1.4, down in the demo from both its first-season Wednesday premiere (5.8 mil/2.0) and its freshman finale (4.1 mil/1.6).

Compared to its time slot predecessor, Whitney matched Animal Practice‘s official Wednesday launch (5.2 mil/1.4) in the demo while drawing a smaller audience, and improved on the short-lived laffer’s last-aired episode (3.7 mil/1.2).

Elsewhere on the night, going hour by hour…

8 pm | Survivor (slipping a hair to 10 mil/2.6) led in total audience while The X Factor (up from its last Voice-less Wednesday telecast to 8.1 mil/2.9) was tops in the demo. ABC’s The Middle (8.7 mil/2.5) and The Neighbors (6.7 mil/1.9) both dipped week-to-week. Leading out of Whitney, Guys With Kids was flat with 3.8 mil/1.3. Arrow drew its second-largest audience to date (3.8 mil) while ticking down a tenth in the demo (1.2).

RELATED | Michael Slezak’s X Factor Recap: Better the Diva You Know…

9 pm | Criminal Minds (steady at 12.1 mil/3.0) led the hour in total audience, while Modern Family (11.9 mil/4.6) dominated the demo (albeit down 4 percent week-to-week. Suburgatory in turn slipped 17 percent in the demo to 2.4.) Law & Order: SVU (5.7 mil/1.6) returned down a tenth. Supernatural was flat at 2.3 mil/1.0.

RELATED | Nashville Recap: A Total Score and a Minor Snore

10 pm | CSI easily won the hour in both total viewers (10.8 mil) and in the demo (2.4, up a tenth). Nashville followed with 5.9 mil/1.8 (down two tenths), while NBC’s Chicago Fire — which last week was buoyed to series highs by a special Voice — returned to normal levels (5.7 mil/1.6).

RELATED | American Horror Story’s Sarah Paulson on the Big Reveal and What Comes Next: ‘It Gets Worse’

What were you tuned into this Wednesday night?

Tags: ,

Comments (28)

• Yeah Arrow, Modern and Chicago Fire. I Pvr’d Nashville. It is quite interesting that the show was said to be the best new show and it was just picked up for a full season (Chicago Fire was picked up before it was, yes they are on different networks but still) and the number for Nashville are dropping….I actually do not think it will last.

Comment by sarah – November 15, 2012 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Arrow continues to impress. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s audience continues to grow throughout the season as more and more people seem to be giving this show a chance. One of the best dramas this season.

Comment by Antonio – November 15, 2012 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Funny, with those ratings, I’m hoping Chicago Fire will be picked up, and it’s got good chances, but Nashville has considerable less chances since it’s on ABC.

But, like last year, I sacrifice every Bubble show I like for the soul of CSI:NY <3

Comment by Barbie Furtado – November 15, 2012 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chicago Fire and Nashville have already been picked up for full seasons.

Comment by Antonio – November 15, 2012 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When will NBC realize that they need to cancel both Dick Wolf shows? The fact that they give it a back-9 order when it had The Voice as a lead in is completely stupid. Mind you, NBC is DOA throughout Wednesday with those pathetic comedies and SVU.

Comment by Mark – November 15, 2012 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s a sick world when more people tune into The Neighbors instead of Guys With Kids. smh Glad to see that Arrow is still doing good.

Comment by Dave – November 15, 2012 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sorry I think both guys , and the neighbors suck

Comment by Joe – November 15, 2012 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Guys With Kids is a TV Land original that got lost and somehow ended up on NBC.

Comment by Oliver – November 15, 2012 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Very true – I hadn’t thought of that – lol. If Scott Baio suddenly turns up on the show, then we’ll know for sure.

Comment by Nero theTVFiddler – November 15, 2012 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like The Neighbors. Little Dick Butkus cracks me up every time!

Comment by Tenney – November 15, 2012 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I keep the neighbors only because its between the middle and midden family don’t watch it though

Comment by Joe – November 15, 2012 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love CHICAGO FIRE. It gets better each week as stories unfold. I also love CSI:N.Y. Great writers this year. I hope both shows are renewed for next season.

Comment by Gigi – November 15, 2012 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lets be honest… The way the ratings are going these days for broadcast anything above a 1.5 looks decent. 1.5 is the new 2.0, 2.0 is the new 2.5, 2.5 is the new 3.0, and 3.0 is the new 3.5. Each year the threshold keeps going down, and maybe in a couple of years time 1.0 might start to be considered acceptable.

As Variety reported recently, 51% of 18-49 viewers are now using the DVR to watch tv. Those numbers just keep growing each year, and as they grow the overnights will not truly reflect what people are actually watching…

Comment by eridapo – November 15, 2012 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Supernatural was absolutely fantastic! It deserves higher ratings! It even featured the awesome Amanda Tapping! Cas was awesome! The whole storyline is looking really strong!
    Arrow made many of the characters endearing and expanded Oliver’s horizons believably.
    So glad these shows did well.

Comment by POIFanatic – November 15, 2012 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wholeheartedly agree.

Comment by tp – November 15, 2012 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m surprised Supernatural didn’t do better. It was a fantastic episode. It’s really the only show I care about on Wednesday. I’ve been watching Arrow, usually a day or so late, because I’m still not sure how I feel about it.

Comment by Mikaylah – November 15, 2012 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CSI is CBS’ top 10 PM show. Elementary has been tracking a close second, except that Elementary doesn’t have real competition. Nashville has been a bomb. CF is doing really well considering. NBC should think about moving CF to Tuesday (it will easily beat Vegas) and Parenthood is kind of tired.

Comment by Chicago Dan – November 15, 2012 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • NBC should have put CF on tuesdays from day 1. i mean did they really think CF would do well out of SVU? why pick up a show if your just gonna put it on a straight path to cancellation.

Comment by ed – November 15, 2012 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whitney has low ratings? WHAT A SHOCK! It’s almost like people realize it’s not a good show. Now if only it, The Neighbors, and Guys with Kids would go away like they should

Comment by Tom Charles – November 15, 2012 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yep, you’re right – ‘Whitney’ has been given a ‘second chance’ and retooled significantly – now a multi-camera filmed-in-front-of-audience comedy – but are the results any different? We’ll see what NBC makes of these ratings and numbers. I actually think Whitney herself has got some TV-charisma – given the right vehicle, I think she could make something work (2 Broke Girls). But this storyline for her doesn’t seem right – it’s almost like they have slowed it down – not allowed her to cut loose. An ‘angry-grrrl-Whitney’ type format would be a lot more fun to watch.

Regarding Neighbors and Guys w/Kids – again, I agree. I assume ABC wants a family-type comedy in that slot, and Neighbors hits that mark. I still can’t figure out how anyone over the age of 11 likes the show, but that’s okay – I’m happy for Jami Gertz.

Regarding Guys w/Kids, the reason NBC keeps it around is the Jimmy Fallon factor. If he wasn’t involved, that show/pilot would have folded up like a tent before a frame of film was captured. That said, I do like seeing the ‘TV Land’ factor of Tempest and Jamie Lynn back on TV, so there is a silver-lining. If Jimmy was involved in the casting process, I do thank him for that ;) Let’s hear it for Jimmy! [the new parlor-game: when will NBC pick up his next pilot-produced effort?!]

Comment by Nero theTVFiddler – November 15, 2012 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Whitney is hilarious! I hope people tune in. Guys with kids & neighbours are both pathetic!

Comment by JJSask – November 15, 2012 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve really been enjoying Chicago Fire and last nights episode was the best one yet. I didn’t want it to end and now I can’t wait for next week!

Comment by Steph – November 15, 2012 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One of the best shows on TV is SUPERNATURAL! which continues to deliver terrific episodes after 8 seasons.

Comment by ChrisCross – November 15, 2012 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought the Whitney season opener was pretty funny, I enjoyed it and laughed out loud several time.
    I only started watching last season after there was so much hate on the show so I was curious about it.

Comment by mia – November 15, 2012 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Nashville but is moving too slow.

Comment by Forwarddad – November 15, 2012 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whitney should have been cancelled last year, so there should be no surprise that it not doing well.

Comment by c4 – November 16, 2012 06:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post