Grimm Preview: Claire Coffee on Adalind's Schade-y Return to Portland, Plans for Renard

Claire Coffee -- credit -- Roger SniderAdalind brings her brand of hex appeal back to Portland in Friday’s Grimm (NBC, 9/8c), and the shrewd Ms. Schade more than makes up for time missed.

“After losing her powers, instead of using her forces for good, she decides to use her forces for even more evil,” Claire Coffee, who plays the former hexenbiest, says with a laugh. “She’s on a path of revenge.”

She previews that her character gets to work the moment she arrives in town. “She’s avenging her mother’s death a bit, but I think for Adalind, it’s more [about] the shame that the captain put her through after she lost her powers,” Coffee says.

Hence her partnership with Renard’s half-brother Eric, which re-establishes the purpose she lost after being jettisoned from the prince’s employ. Adalind’s mission is simple: Recover the key – which ultimately leads its owner to world domination – at any cost. (The joy she gets from ruining people’s lives is merely a bonus.)

RELATED | Grimm Scoop: Claire Coffee Promoted to Regular

“Nick, more or less, is just in her way. It’s necessary to get to him because he has the key, and she needs the key… in order to be the most powerful that she can with the royal family,” Coffee says.

But that doesn’t mean Adalind won’t have the time or inclination to visit old pals like Hank (whom she duped into obsession with some potion-laced cookies) and Juliette (who fell into a coma after getting scratched by Ad’s enchanted cat). In fact, one of the new returnee’s side projects involves Nick’s girlfriend and her new crush.

“I would imagine that becomes something [Adalind] can work with,” Coffee teases.

And though at one point in the episode Coffee’s character finds herself in what seems like a rough spot, don’t worry about the globetrotting lawyer for a minute. “Adalind is very much in control of her return to Portland,” the actress says with a hint of pride. “She’s calculated all these moves very carefully.”

RELATEDGrimm Gang Talks ‘Shocking’ Renewal, Nick’s ‘Badass’ Ma, Juliette’s Fate and Deeper Mythology

But what about her endgame? Adalind returns the key to the royals and then… is reinstated as a hexenbiest as a reward? Can that even happen? Where are Monroe and his books when you need them?!

“I don’t know if it’s possible. We’re all wondering that, too,” Coffee admits. (Fans, at least, won’t learn more until the mystical drama returns after the new year.) “I think that’s the fun thing about being on a show that has such an involved mythology. The supernatural element to it – the rules of the world are kind of yet to be shown.”

In the meantime, she adds, “It’s fun just to wonder.”

1. tp says:

I hope they don’t focus on her too much. I really don’t like her character. I won’t give up on Grimm because her her, well at least not right away. I can ff through her parts but if I find myself ff through most of the episodes …..another one bites the dust.

2. xav says:

Yay! She’s my favourite character so this is exciting.

3. Mayela says:

I actually like Adalind, I’m glad she is back. I think she has a lot of potential on the show to not only be a villain type character but play both sides. I really like her interaction with Nick also.

4. tvdiva says:

I was hoping the show would get more into the battles between the royal houses rather than bring back a character that whose storyline should have ended last season. I will wait and see where her story arc goes before I give up on Grimm completely.

• Kristina says:

I’m hoping her new connection to the royals will provide the basis to expand the story in that direction, cause I’d like to know more about that too.

5. Preetha says:

I love love her. Claire COffee is awesome as Adalind.She has good chemistry with the cast.
    Can’t wait for her interaction with Nick!

6. I don’t like her Charakter either

7. jenn says:

I think her and nick have great chemistry I would love to see that go somewhere.

8. partisan says:

I just hope they get rid of Juliette. She was annoying as the cluesless girlfriend now it’s just nauseating to watch the whole bit with her and the captain. Kill her, lose her, hve her run off with someone whatever, just get rid of her.

9. chris says:

Adalind – should have been written out and stayed written out. I hate her charactor that much i would like to see her skined and dowsed in vinegar whilst still alive……maybe the same for the wirters bringing her back in. Juliette needs to remember Nick and quickly so the two of them can be happy. Cant wait for the Captain & Nick show down. Good show but ffs the writers are dragging their heels with some areas

10. Kellie says:

This show is one of the best on network TV! I love Jane espenson! Shes great and has been since Buffy! Adeline is a great picture baddie! Juliette is pretty boring though and I love Monroe!

11. james logsdon says:

I love the show keep it coming!!!!!

• Sonja Norris says:

The only character that interest me is Monroe. He is quite an actor and is very convincing in his portrayal as someone from another world trying to cope as a human being. I am happy that NBC have included Rosalee in the cast, she is a natural. Now, I have 2 characters to watch for. I don’t like the character of Juliette because she seems pretty dumb and bland. The network can get rid of her.! She and Nick are actors that have difficulty emoting. They have no facial expression. Angry, sad, confused … their faces look the same.

12. I totally disagree. David Giuntoli, who plays Nick, is a master with his expressions. In fact I think he is best. Stand assign Brad Pitt, their’s a new kid in town!