American Horror Story Renewed for Season 3, Jessica Lange to Return... But Who'll She Play?

American Horror Story RenewedAmerican Horror Story is far from done haunting FX.

The network Thursday announced that Ryan Murphy‘s scary drama will be back for a third season next year.

Even better, Jessica Lange — who played Southern mama Constance in Season 1 and is Asylum‘s Sister Jude — will return in the show’s next incarnation.

RELATEDAmerican Horror Story‘s Sarah Paulson on the Big Reveal and What Comes Next: ‘It Gets Worse’

Asylum ends its run on Jan. 23; the new 13-episode season will begin production this summer and bow in Fall 2013.

There are no details yet on Lange’s role or where the series, which switches location and era each season, will take place. Hit the comments with your suggestions/predictions about where Murphy’s gang of ghosts and ghouls should end up!

1. MJ says:

90′S ESQUE SLASHER!!!!!

2. smalltownboy says:

An ambiguous retired teacher, with a loving husband, who looks for her missing family..

3. Yasin says:

YAY! I liked that the first season was more of a scary dramatic feel to it, this season is just terrifying, so I hope they go back to the first season route, but if they don’t I’ll still watch with my eyes closed.

4. Scott says:

They need to look at the era of the serial killer…the late 70′s early 80′s This is great news!

5. rachelle says:

great news indeed!! i love this show. i like the different levels of terror in the different seasons. and Jessica Lange is just a superb actress!

6. Rawr says:

A maid in a creepy motel!

7. Nicotine says:

I don’t care what or who Jessica Lange returns as because she is just amazing! I hope Lily Rabe and Evan Peters return too. I’ve become big fans of theirs through this show. This is the best news I’ve heard all day!

8. Parker says:

Haunted traveling Carnival. The big bad could be an Evil Killer Clown.

• Caro says:

I love the idea of a haunted traveling carnival, but evil clown is too predictable, I think.

• Kimmie says:

OMG I love that idea…I can see this going along the line of the movie Freaks…that to me is still one disturbing movie and that how I describe AHS it is so disturbing yet keeps me coming back

• Ellen says:

It’s pretty much been done already-Carnivale-traveling Circus, creepy people, weird powers, murderers, psychics, it’s been done, I HOPE they don’t do that.

• Kristine says:

Love this idea but not a clown it has to be someone unsuspected…

• Madeline says:

It would be interesting to see a whole side-show act situation with grotesque characters and such. Maybe there would be a ‘hidden love’ between the ring-leaders daughter and a circus visitor or something, since that’s what Murphy seems to want to reenact from season 1 according to his recent interview.

• Alex Gray says:

Alternatively, it could be a regular carnival, and instead focus on the desperation of performers and the bloodlust of an audience. But hey, maybe add a Killer Clown to keep things in American Horror Story tradition.

9. iMember says:

Jessica Lange is the glue that will connect every AHS season, and I would like that very much! Then in the final season, it’ll be revealed that all of these characters she’s played have been reincarnations of each other. Hehehe

• damian says:

Evan Peters should stay as well, great actor.

• nikki says:

Zachary Quinto and Evan Peters should on season 3. That can bring back Violet from season 1. I will always love Tate and Violet.

• Peyton says:

That is a great idea!! I loved violet and tate they should bring them back together in season 3. Their relationship was so intense to me. And in the end of season one, they leave me empty handed about what happened. So im curious to see it.

10. Jeremy Gable says:

Last night gave me chills. It was so good. Jessica Lange earned her next Emmy last night, so I’m happy she’ll be back next year too.

11. Viv says:

Time to start that twitter campaign to get Sarah Paulson back for season three.

12. Antonio says:

As long as Jessica Lange..Evan Peters..Sarah Paulson and Zachary Quinto are on board so am I!. AHS mixes campy over the top fun with stellar acting from everyone involved.

13. Rob says:

Big Edie from Grey Gardens.

14. nguber says:

Reblogged this on iwatch2much and commented:
    Add your thoughts here… (optional)

15. Joe says:

I guess I’m one of the few who are against Jessica Lange returning. I love her and think she is amazing, but if they want the series to not be dependent on Lange, they need at least one season without her. Bring her back S4, but for S3, have a whole new cast, with an amazing story, just to keep things fresh.

• Jinjeon says:

Yeah. I’d like that. If Murphy resurrected Lange career he should also resurrect careers of other movie actresses who need it i.e. Sissy Spacek, Winona Ryder or Debra Winger.

16. xoxojk says:

They should a sci-fi horror story set in the future. Lange can play an android or alien goddess.

17. Jinjeon says:

Who’ll she play? Knowing both Murphy and Lange she’ll play another over the top character because she has never missed an opportunity to overact in her whole life. Seriously, does she know what subtle acting is?

• Josh says:

Yes. If you aren’t familiar with her acting career, that’s on you, not her. Ryan Murphy is the one who has no time or use for subtleties. Just look at AHS, Glee, New Normal, or the last few seasons of Nip/Tuck.

18. Blake says:

Wow I’m very surprised she’ll be back. I heard she was reluctant to do a second season. She must really be enjoying herself…and/or Ryan made her an offer she just couldn’t refuse lol.

• denis says:

she gets play along side her girlfriend, sarah, and she’s genuinely having fun with the show. the cast is tight. it’s literally a dream team.

19. kate says:

this is good news. Lange’s incredible, best part of the show by far, even though her characters are unsympathetic in a lot of ways.

20. Caro says:

I don’t mind if Jessica comes back, but it’d be nice if she spent one season as a character that wasn’t remotely villainous. Zachary Quinto, however, should play the villain forever.

21. njdt says:

I really hate this season! Last season was so much more intruiging and suspensful and watchable. This season is all about shock and I’m over it.

22. erick says:

A continuation through the Holocaust? But haunted by a vengeful female Jew played by Lange… With black hair!!!

23. RobMF says:

Needs more Evan Peters.

24. I’d love to revisit the rumor bandied about last year that it could take place at the colony of Roanoke – as it’s about to become lost…

25. Kate says:

What about doing something in the south with voodoo?

26. Ashley says:

Don’t care as long as Evan Peters is back

27. Boris says:

I hope Lily Rabe comes back for third season!

28. lisa says:

They must bring peters and rabe back too please! And taissa farmiga wouldn’t hurt either

29. Brad K. says:

How about being based on the witchcraft trials of Salem.

30. Amanda says:

I would like to see the setting be a southern plantation, possibly New Orleans. the voodoo and ghost aspect of that area would be great. they could flash between civil war era and possibly earlier then back to modern times. could do a lot of creepy with that. Jessica would make an awesome evil old school southern Belle

31. wahidroket_ says:

I want story on a haunted boarding school. Jasicca Lange as a headmaster of that school (or a teacher). And maybe Evan Peters and the actress who played Violet can be students on that school.

32. Lexie says:

A boarding school would be awesome, especially if Jude, Kit, Violet and Grace (who HAS to come back next year) were being terrorised by a really young child.

The circus one sounded cool as well – maybe in the 1920s.

33. Teag says:

I think a LOST homage would be awesome. A plane crash on a crazy island. That would be so good!

34. hipper says:

Season 3 of a Ryan Murphy show… is this when his shows usually fall over to the point where even fans can’t bear to watch.

35. ohlala says:

drugs and rock and roll in the 80s. no musical numbers, just sad washed-up addicts.

or maybe the settlers vs the native americans with native american ghost magic or something. i could see puritan lange in a second!

36. Sammy says:

Witches! Id love to see a season about a swampy town full of voodoo and Adina Porter (who plays Tara’s mum in True Blood and was in season 1 of AHS) could play the ringleader of the witches! And Jessica can play her adversay. And there should be a mer-alligator-maid in the swamp. And the historical figure can be Pocohontas! And there should be cake! Lots of cake!

37. Ben says:

North Dakota! I’d love to hear Jessica Lange with a Fargo accent!

38. Ripper story says:

Great to know that she will be back but expectation bit high this time after a long wait. She should do some different thing as compare to last performance.

39. dude says:

I feel like Jessica Lange should always be a part of this show in some form to kind of tie the seasons together.

40. jess says:

They need next season to really go back in time! Late 1800′s, small village as somebody else said.

41. Ethan says:

Can we go with “gypsy”?

42. Lisette says:

I was thinking 19 century when inventions came alive, I’m talking about Edison and Tesla. Telling the difference from science and magic. Or Salem witch trials is cool.

43. Philipp says:

The ma’am of a sick and twisted brothel where the customers miraculously disappear and the prostitutes are zombies Death Becomes Her style.

44. Ben Emerick says:

I hope they decide to revisit season ones storyline as it left a lot of unanswered questions.

• Ellen says:

I don’t think that’s going to happen, what’s left to be told? No one’s going to last in the house because the ghosts are going to scare them away and the ghost/human baby is obviously evil. End of story.

45. Louis says:

3rd season should take place on either a traveling carnival or a teen summer camp

46. Kay says:

I’m thinking Donner Party type scenario. Or New Orleans in the Victorian era. The ghost stories are endless!

47. It’s going to be a prison. Wish I knew what kind of…

48. Raven says:

Circus, creepy school, abandoned amusement park, village, old farm house, church…
    As long as Evan Peters and Lily Rabe return as well, the third season should kick ass. No other shows compare to AHS, perfectly portrayed.

• Kevin Nienhaus says:

The setting should be an old Hotel like The Stanley Hotel with parallel story lines of current residents and the old deadly residents from the origins of the hotel alive and well