New Spoiler Alert!: Fringe 'Observations,' Grey's Death Takes a Toll and Gossip Girl Finale Twist!

If I had to pick three words to describe this week’s edition of Spoiler Alert!, they’d be “no,” “holds” and “barred.”

Not only do Matt Mitovich and I dissect the the highs and lows of Fringe‘s final season, check the vitals of two bubble dramas (666 Park Avenue and Last Resort) and contemplate the long-term impact of Dr. Thomas’ death on Grey’s Anatomy (and, in particular, on Cristina), we also get to the bottom of Anne Hathaway’s “mean-spirited” Claire Danes parody and reveal what Gossip Girl has planned for the moments after its “technical” ending.

All that and more is just a click away!

1. Kristina says:

Nashville would be a perfect follow-up to Revenge and Once Upon a Time–much better fit than Park Ave.

2. Kara says:

Must stink for a troll like Ausiello that Chuck and Blair will be the ones getting married with kids. Poor ,troll.

3. Considering you just told a Serena/Nate fan that there was no hope for the and to get over it like you did Dair maybe you should take your own advice, hmm?

4. shay says:

Yeah we know they”l be married, everything is spoiled but I think there are a twist at the last minute I don’t talk about dair but maybe chair will not be endgame ftaer all and Blair will be free, single, powerful without needing a man (for once)

• G says:

Women don’t have to be single to be powerful & being in a relationship doesn’t mean you ‘need’ someone in order to keep up.You can have both.Unless if your mind lives in the 50’s of course

• Tara says:

You can have both, and have it be healthy and wonderful and great. No one should say that deciding to choose love and career is a negative. It’s more or less problems with the characters themselves at this point. I’ve more or less accepted the only way I’ll be pleased with the finale is if rocks fall and everyone dies. No shipping preference I’ve just really come to loathe the characters and it’s all the writer’s fault. They aren’t even trying anymore. :/

5. shay says:

he said to dair fans the same thing to serenate one so before talking for nothing read!!

6. tvaddict says:

I hope Nashville gets another season. Its been really good, maybe a move to Sundays will improve ratings

7. John says:

Great Fringe Observations :D Loving the Peter storyline this season! it’s more interesting now!

• Emy says:

But i agree with Matt that pretty much nothing happened in the last episode. I didn’t think they would produce one of “those” with only 13 episodes left.

• Lewis Jones says:

Last episode was a yawn for the most part. We went from having one of the best episodes (An Origin Story) to one of the worst. It had its moments, but I worry for Peter. Thanks for making him a liar, Fringe writers… as if certain people didn’t hate on him enough… There had better be an explanation for it, because grief does not make a person turn into such a jerk towards the people he or she loves…

• Joanna says:

Yes, it does when you put observer tec into yourself and then start to change into somebody different. Grief can have a profound affect on people and when people are trying to cope they can revert back to coping mechanisms they have had before. For Peter that’s going it alone and hellbent on revenge. He’s reverted back to how he was when we first met him in the pilot.

• Ken says:

Joanna- In season 2 when Walter said to Olivia “You can’t no whats its like to loose a child”, Walter statement then, now applies to a lot of the people on these blogs who cannot understand what Peter is going through, and the action he has taken.Olivia is mourning the loss of her daughter,her only child,no mother should have to go through so much pain.That being said,think of the burden Peter is carrying alone,memories that only he has. He as seen the love of his life (Olivia) died twice,even buried her once,and now he as lost his second child, the first one unknowingly by his own hands(When he went in the machine to save the universe and was erased in the process) so with all this kind of burden he as to endure, people should try and understand why he has taken this kind of action.I also think it will work out in the end with Peter and Olivia.

8. Jenny says:

No Dair No Care =)

9. I love 666…. I really hope they keep it!

10. JKR says:

I love Nashville, but not on Sundays…between Revenge, Walking Dead and Homeland, my plate it full. Yes, my life is just so hard…

• Britta Unfiltered says:

LOL. You speak the truth. I just can’t take on anymore Sunday shows. I have such a hard time getting around to the ones I do watch, and my DVR can’t record all the ones I want to see, which makes me have to find them online later. And sometimes I forgot to do that, like I am pretty sure I am 4 episodes behind on Amazing Race right now.

11. Anna says:

I HAVE NO IDEA! PROBABLY DAN AND BLAIR MARRIED AT A LIBRARY WITH THEIR 170 KIDS!! THEY HAD A SCENE IN THE LIBRARY! WE KNOWWWWW THEY DID!!! URGHGH. Lololol

12. Sandy says:

Don’t think you’re being fair to Fringe. Yes, this past weeks episode should have been more eventful but the 2 eps before it , especially An Origin Story were so strong.
    Yes, I miss the dynamic between Olivia and Etta and Etta and everyone else but the switch to Peter putting the Observer tech in his neck was pretty damn good.

13. cuius says:

Money is still on the double – Sedan Chair

14. Jared says:

I really loved the Nashville pilot but it’s moving way too slow for my taste. Not sure if I’m going to stick with it or not because there isn’t enough drama worth tuning in for.

• Whatevah says:

I totally agree! It is moving really slowly. I thought maybe I was used to Grey’s Anatomy & Scandal which move at a much faster pace. Good to know it’s not just me.

15. gdv says:

I don’t think Anne Hathaway’s impression of Claire Danes was mean spirited. Claire Danes’s character is pretty over-the-top on that show, and SNL had to push it farther to make it funny. I felt like the skit was purposely going for the “ridiculous” parts of that show. (A CIA agent sleeping with her suspect, even after she KNOWS he was a terrorist, and the fact that the CIA would let Carrie do ANYTHING after she screwed up so many times).

• alice says:

Plus, Claire Danes really does have an over-the-top fake cry. I remember it making me laugh out loud during the end of Romeo and Juliet, it was so bad. It’s the exact type of thing that is ripe for exaggerating.

16. Rose says:

i love ausiello. i wish i had a job like yours. watching your favorite shows as a job. thats awesomeeeee…

17. G. says:

Anne Hathaway perhaps is realizing that even though Claire Danes is on television, Claire in this role has become THE actress of the moment, the American actress of that generation.

Anne is very good in Rachel Getting Married, but she hasn’t hit it out of the park like Claire does every single week. I definitely got the vibe from her that I am going to try to knock this girl down a peg by making fun of her amazing work on Homeland. NOT SUCCESSFUL.

Bill Hader=Mandy Patinkin

• Lydia says:

The skits are written by the writers. If they told her “Hey, she does this really, really ugly cry, can you do an impression of that?” Than she does it. If she was talking crap about Claire Danes in an interview or something, than I would get potentially interpreting her performance as a personal attack on Danes. But she was just in a skit. So blaming the whole thing on Hathaway seems like a ridiculous and unwarranted character attack.

• pete says:

G & TVLINE writes, Anne Hathaway is not worried about Claire Danes. Hathaway did Shakespeare in the Park’s Twelfth Night to rave reviews ( she is already getting Oscar buzz for Les Miserables) , and she is that rare triple threat talent ( Danes is not). Hathaway is one of the best SNL hosts, my favorite impression of Anne’s was Judy Garland & Mary Poppins, and of course Katie Holmes. Now if a male actor did a comedic impression of another male actor, we would say anything about jealousy or being mean-spirited.

I agree with GDV & Alice comments above, Danes’ dramatic acting is extremely over-the-top with her trademark fake ugly cry, her eye-popping, mugging, and her crunched up face. And, Anne ran with it for comedic purposes. Many people love Claire Danes, and they are mad that Hathaway imitated her. Anne was even kind enough to thank Caire & Katie Holmes,at the end of the episode. But, people don’t have a problem with Anne imitating Ms.Holmes, only because she is not well-liked and well-respected. Give me a break.

18. Ryan says:

What if ABC moves “Last Resort” to Tuesdays at 10:00 PM once “Private Practice” ends? “Sons of Anarchy” – a male-skewing show – will have completed it’s run and “Parenthood” has a predominantly female audience. What will it be up against? “Vegas?” I wonder if it’ll be worth a shot. “Last Resort” is phenomenal. I sat down and watched all of the episodes just the other day and was on the edge of my seat the entire time. Writing’s fantastic, acting’s amazing, directing’s great….I think it’s just the Thursday at 8 deathslot doing what it does best. Still wish they had moved “Private Practice” there because it’s an established show and keeps with the Shonda-theme – but it’s too late now, obviously.

19. Fernanda says:

I love the idea about having Kristen Bell only for reading Gossip Girl blog but not like she is the real Gossip Girl. My guesses: Dorota, Eleanor Waldorf or even Jack Bass. She could be the narrator but not the mastermind behind the blog. The only thing that I’m pissed is about Serenate, they won’t end up together. Now I look for the books for the real ending of GG

20. Anon says:

I’m not surprised Last Resort and Nashville aren’t doing amazing despite the critical praise for it. Nashville is very soapy (while not being as satirical as say Revenge), and while entertaining, many people don’t want to get caught up in that because they were expecting something else. And as for Last Resort there are a lot of images in the show that could have turned many people off in relation to America and soldiers. I don’t think it will matter what time the show airs, it is not going to connect with a lot of people. I don’t want to watch an American soldier kill another American soldier in uniforms we know and recognize. And that’s not about politics. It just is an image I don’t want to see. I doubt I’m the only one who feels that way. Especially having family and friends who wear those uniforms. So after the first two episodes I decided it wasn’t for me no matter how well acted or produced.

21. I say leave Nashville where it is. A move would kill it. I’d put Red Widow on SUN@10, and I’d move Last Resort to Fridays @ 10. Shark Tank has a similar target audience, and Blue Bloods isn’t really doing that well anymore, so there’s not a lot of competition there.

I think ABC should just call it quits on THU@8 like NBC did with THU@10 and put Wipeout there like they did last year. Maybe try out Zero Hour there, but I doubt it’ll work.

• Alex says:

Staying where it is is not likely to save Nashville. While a move probably won’t either, at least it would give the show a better chance of making it.

22. cjeffery7 says:

eh, i think ya’ll are over-thinking the SNL skit. sure, they could have gone to something a little more clever, but claire danes’ performance has become just as renowned for its gravitas and sincerity as it has for its over-the-top-ness. frankly, it’s a performance that should be over the top because that’s the character that’s been written. i thought the skit was hilarious because i am one of those obsessed fans, but recognize that if the skit is insulting to anyone its probably more the people in real life dealing with mental illness, rather than simply to claire danes’ performance.

i miss etta too. she was fresh and new and likeable and it really hurt my feelings! ;-)

23. so what you’re saying is that on the verge of a Boy Meets World revival, William Daniels is available.

24. I REALLY want to like Nashville. Believe me I do. But it’s really not pulling me in. As much as I love Connie, the only interesting and likable character is Juliette and the show just moves at a snails pace. Every episode is decent enough that I feel like I want to watch the next but it’s always the last thing to get viewed on my DVR. There’s nothing about it that screams “must-see TV” the way Revenge does.

25. bobbie says:

I want to be surprized

26. Britta Unfiltered says:

I’m still not big on the Homeland sketch. I’m not sure I picked up on the mean-spirited vibe, I just thought it wasn’t a funny skit overall, though it did have a couple moments I liked, for example, the corkboard and when she was having sex with the terrorist suspect. They could have done more funny stuff with the Brody character, like make fun of his facial expressions and the way he and Carrie stare at each other. They should have toned down Anne’s performance, it seemed like she was playing her more like Jodi Foster’s character from Nell than playing it like Carrie. And personally, I don’t think they really needed to play it over the top for people who don’t watch the show. Playing it a little more subtle and close to the bone to please the fans of the show would have been just fine. Also, maybe they could have just saved the sketch for when a Homeland star was hosting? I think the TV show parodies are funniest when they do that. I do agree they need to do more show parodies though. You guys are 100% correct on that.

27. LH says:

GG Flashforward will show Chuck&Blair HAPPILY MARRIED along with their first-born, Henry Waldorf Bass, and possibly Baby Bass #2 in the Waldass oven!!! They will attend a party of some type (possibly Dan/Serena wedding)!!! We always will get a good look at CHAIR’s new digs–an upscale UES Waldass Townhouse!!! #CHAIRFamily RULES UES!!! #CHAIRIsEndgame!!!

28. BL says:

Ok, it drives me crazy every week: Is that Jesse Plemmons on the set of FNL with Ausiello in the picture frame behind the couch (brhind Matt this week)???? I need to know!!!!

29. lara says:

I don’t think that Anne Hathaway was making fun of Claire Danes’ acting at all – I think it was all making fun of the character. And, I definitely agree that it went over the top to a point where it was not funny, but I think it’s too much to think that there’s any bad history there. Especially b/c I can’t imagine that CD would have gotten any part that AH wanted in the recent past.

I kind of think that making fun of Brody’s mouth was much worse, since that’s Damian Lewis’s physical trait and not anything he can change. Also, now when I watch the show, I can’t stop starting at his mouth and how small it is!

30. onlyakb says:

yes people please watch Nashville such a good show!! it would be a shame to not last longer than one season!! Excellent music, great acting, good plot its starting to pick it up now!! go and watch!! and for the girls, great greaaaat looking male cast!! =)

31. SERENATE says:

SERENATE PLEASE ;(

32. Sarah says:

Claire Danes always had that massive “lower lip quiver” in any crying scene. Didn’t critics used to love her acting? What was that crack about Hathaway’s “caliber” as an actress compared to Danes?

33. Me222222 says:

I think Nashville would be much better on Sunday night. I almost never watch TV except on Sunday nights. I don’t like 666.

34. klaus says:

Nashville is junk tv, (which is too bad because I love Connie Britton), just like half the other crap on tv. The Walking Dead, Sons of Anarchy and Revenge are the only shows worth watching.

35. cherryd says:

I think Kirten Bell will be Serenas daughter in the finale, reading back on her mothers past. no idea who gossip girl is though

36. A says:

I would be thoroughly amused if Kristen Bell were to appear as Veronica Mars, hired by the NJBC to uncover the true identity of Gossip Girl.