The Voice Top 12 Results Recap: Did the Right Contestants Get the Boot?

melanie martinez amanda brownThey’re getting marriage proposals, photo ops in public restrooms, and the chance to colaborate with country star Jason Aldean. They’re even scoring front-row seats to collaborations by pants-phobic Christina “nice skivvies, gurl!” Aguilera and her comrade Cee Lo Green. But the one thing The Voice‘s Season 3 Top 12 no longer have is a safety net from their respective coaches.

Indeed, thanks to a righteous rule change, from Top 12 week forward, the lowest two vote-getters are being sent to the guillotine — regardless of which coach’s team they call home. No more of Xtina coming to the rescuse of that team member who just hasn’t had a chance to show her greatness. No more of Adam rescuing the contestant most likely to ping his bro-o-meter. Here’s how Top 12 results night played out:

Sent to Safety (in chronological order)
Bryan Keith
Sylvia Yacoub
Nicholas David
Dez Duron
Trevin Hunte
Cassadee Pope
Terry McDermott
Amanda Brown

Final 4 Left in Jeopardy
Cody Belew
Melanie Martinez
Adriana Louise
Michaela Paige

In a gracious exit statement, Adriana called coach Xtina everything she’d wished for and more, while a tearful Michaela declared that the moment Blake turned his chair for her in the Blind Auditions, “I knew that I’d won.” Personally, I thought Michaela’s “Blow Me (One Last Kiss)” — and her prior work on “Everybody Talks” — had earned her a Top 10 placing over Cody, Sylvia, and Cassadee, but it’s never easy to score votes when you’re batting in the leadoff position.

As for the evening’s other shenanigans, Jason Aldean (with Bryan and Dez) rocked out on a fine version of “The Only Way I Know”; the members of Team Blake joined their coach for a not entirely scintillating cover of “Life Is a Highway”; Cee Lo’s vocalists collaborated with him on a visually and aurally hideous rendition of “Stayin’ Alive”; and Xtina brought a mighty holleration to “Make the World Move.” I won’t lie: That last jam is gonna have 50 plays on my iPod by the end of the weekend.

And now it’s your turn: What did you think of this week’s results? Whose ouster made you maddest? Who dodges a bullet? Sound off in the comments, and for all my reality TV news, interviews, and recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Carly says:

How does Melanie keep being spared?? Over Michaela? Ugh. Agree with everything else though

2. D says:

What is your beef with Cassadee? Why do you hate her so much?

• pete says:

this so much… every chance he gets he takes a shot at her

• Lyria says:

I don’t find Cassadee interesting at all either. Her voice is average. And who cares if Slezak doesn’t like her? Recappers are allowed to have opinions too.

• Nomo Stew says:

No reason to hate her, but you can find that girl in any reasonably sized city in the country.

• ETG says:

I agree. I don’t dislike Cassadee, but I find nothing in her that is interesting. I could say the same for Cody. I would rather EITHER of them had gotten the boot instead of Michaela.

• Phill says:

IKR!!! leave Cassadee alone! haterz

• Jo March says:

Grow the bleep up. Just because someone criticizes someone doesn’t mean they “hate” her. You sound like 6th grade. I’m so sick of posters calling other posters “haters” for merely having a negative opinion of someone or someone’s performance. You didn’t call Slezak a hater, but you questioned why he hated her so much.

• D says:

Yes I questioned why he hates her so much because she is constantly being attacked by him in twitter posts and his tv line artists. So please don’t tell me to grow up when I’m simply questioning why in an obviously bias review week after week he singles her out. I’m not the only one that has noticed this either.

3. Jennifer says:

Melanie and Cody should have been the ones to have gone! Michaela blew them out of the water!! She showed such amazing poise!! It’s hard to remember she’s only 16. I do agree with Blake, we haven’t seen or heard the last of her. I still think this is Trevin’s to lose.

• Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

I fear that The Voice is going to become the opposite of Idol. Instead of white guy with a guitar it will become black dude that isn’t even mildly entertaining winning each year. I agree he has a nice voice but there is little about him that brings any kind of entertainment value. Destined to be a backup singer his whole career.

• Kenneth says:

ITA, Chuck. Jermaine’s win surprised me last year, but Trevin has been pimped TO DEATH on the show this season. (Clips of him aired throughout every single audition round episode, usually accompanied by a Carson voice-over along the lines of “We’ve seen contestants with AMAZING talent” etc. etc.) Yes, he can sing overwrought ballads — but, commercially, I really don’t think the world has been anxiously awaiting a black Michael Bolton.

• courtney says:

thank you! completely agree to everything you just said. while trevin has a great voice, i think a. he needs a few more years of training and experience, and b. i just can’t see him being successful on the radio. while there are people with much weaker voices (bryan, cassadee), i have a feeling they’ll be much more successful post-show.

• JalaHyacinth says:

THIS. Yes, yes, and yes. He has an awesome voice, but he’s untrained and inexperienced and doesn’t know what to do with it. Pretty sure the final 3 will be Amanda (big voice), Dez (because teenagers are sheep), and Trevin (because he fits the mold of the previous 2 winners…)

• Malia says:

Michaela’s performance wasn’t good, she is not mature enough to do the song justice. She deserves the boot over Melanie and Cody.

• FreeHaley says:

yeah but Cody was really, really drab last night, and Melanie hasn’t been interesting in weeks. It definitely was not Michaela’s best last night and she really only caught me, so far, last week, but this week she deserved to stay still.

• Niko says:

Cody has been more interesting than Michaela. Jolene and One More Try are right up there among the best. Why do you hate him SO MUCH?

Also Melanie’s Cough Syrup was good, so she deserves to stay another week.

• FreeHaley says:

I guess it is more that he started really weak at the very beginning and then was really weak last night, so I felt he had a weaker base to survive at this point, but yeah he was very good last week and as I’ve even said I was very glad that CeeLo used the save last week on him. Lots better than Diego and better than MacKenzie at that point.

Maybe you are right and he will come back strong again next week and have been worthy to continue on.

• FreeHaley says:

I guess Michaela didn’t have all that strong of a start either.

• Sara says:

Michaela has great stage presence, but her vocal performance last night was terrible. If you listen to it without watching, you’ll realize you can’t hear most of the lyrics and she runs out of breath a lot, so I wasn’t shocked to see her go home. However, she was on pitch, which was more than I could say about the worst performance of last night, Amanda Brown. Pretty surprised she’s still here after picking a song no one knows, singing the entire thing off key, and flapping her arms like crazy bird wings the entire performance. She was the best last week, but WOW! Just awful last night…

• FreeHaley says:

I’m not surprised Amanda stayed. Yeah it was the worst of the night, but you send someone home who just three of the better weeks including the single best week anyone has had just for one weird night, come on. If she had been average all along then sure without a doubt, but that was not the case. The Voice tends to be too capricious as it is, especially before the top 12 rounds.

Josleyn had just one solid but not holy cow night and was gone despite having had two great prior weeks (and she did hit the power part better on the itunes track and then you say sure in the studio, but she has already proven to no be just a studio singer, look what the did the prior two weeks, all live, no way you do that if you aren’t mad capable live, and listen to all of her other live recordings from elsewhere and she routinely hits everything live all the time with full impact, no difference compared to the studio stuff, maybe just a little nerves of the grand stage this one time, a shame. Also too bad Christina didn’t set her battles up differently. It made no sense. If she wanted Sylvia so badly which is seems Christina simply really did, she should have paired Joselyn with any of her other pop singers. Most people, if not every last one, think she out sang Sylvia in their pairing as it was and she would easily made it through any other pairing. Part of me thinks Christina wishes she had done the pairings differently too since she seemed to really support Jos a lot even after she left her team. But the way she set it up she had to lose at least one her two best pop voices.). I think she would’ve blown people away had she stayed just to the top 12 and maybe done even better overall working with Christina.

Suzanna merely picked a song with no singular wow moment and was gone.

Nicole had a solid performance but hit someone else’s revelation one single time and was suddenly gone.

Prior to top 12 it is awfully capricious.

• FreeHaley says:

And DeBorah left even on one of her best.

So I don’t think we needed to carry such capriciousness even into the top 12 voting and knock Amanda out just for one single disaster when she was so great last week and strong the prior two weeks.

• FreeHaley says:

Yeah it should have been Melanie and Cody.

4. Blivins says:

These exits were incredibly easy to predict. All you have to do is go to the iTunes store the day of eliminations and look at the charts.

5. Samantha says:

Pretty predictable. I could have taken Michaela over Cody but both don’t stand a chance of making it much further. Cassadee needs to gtfo though.

6. Hannah says:

Just culling the heard until Amanda and Trevin face-off for the win. All cuts until that point are fine with me. Although I would have liked to have seen Michaela stick around a while. I also think The Voice needs to consider how much pre-existing fan base to allow. Does seem to tilt the table once audience voting comes into play.

• David says:

Amanda, Trevyn, Terry, and Nicholas will face off. The only possible exception I see is Cassadee over Nicholas. I do think Michaela deserved to stay over Cody. I liked him in previous episodes, but not enough to overcome the travesty he perpetrated on us this week.

7. kavyn says:

So it looks like I can’t really read the Voice recaps on TVLine without tons of bias. Leave the bias to Reality Check, give unbiased opinions in the recaps (or at least stop informing us of how much you want X contestant to go home, it’s very annoying).

• Missie says:

Alternately: if you don’t like it, stop reading it. Ever heard the saying “insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results”?

• JalaHyacinth says:

If you want a ‘then this happened’ recap, check out the Entertainment section on nbcnews.com. I LIKE having opinions because I can compare and contrast what I thought and what I heard.

8. gailer says:

I was fine with the two. Not surprised all the men were safe. Just like Idol.

• GMom says:

The only good performances were the guys! The only girl performance I liked was Melanie’s and that was because I liked the song although I had never heard it before. With the exception of Trevin’s overwrought performance, all the guys sounded good. The girls are either too screechy or squeaky! And I agree with the person who said Blake should have picked the country girl. MUCH better voice.

9. marge says:

Honestly, though, Blake should’ve kept the country girl over Michaela and Christina De’borah over Adrianna. Michaela and Adrianna’s styles are too much like their fellow group mates/contestants Cassadee and Sylvia – who have much more steam.

10. Elizabeth says:

Just what I had predicted, but I’m bummed that Michaela left so soon. She and Amanda are my favourites of the females.

11. C.J. says:

I figured Michaela would be going home but I still don’t like it.

12. Debbie says:

I am team Terry all the way but did anyone ever notice that Nicholas has a little Joe Cocker thing going on?

13. Ronnie says:

The big difference from Idol is that the votes are limited to 10 online and they are also take into consideration sales from iTunes. Teenagers can’t vote with their pocketbooks over and over so that at least shows fans are putting their money behind the artist. That said, it just reminds everyone that song choice is very important and they all need to pick better songs if they want to break the Top 20. Only Amanda was able to do that with “Dream On.” None of the others broke the top 30.

• Danny says:

Excellent post. I think that while someone might not like their favorite going home, but at least whoever goes, it’s a lot more fair than Idol.

• gregk says:

Do not agree with the new voting “enhancement” regarding iTunes sales, which BTW has not been discussed by recappers. What can non-iTunes subscribers make of this? Obviously they (like my wife and I) would feel there is unfairness going on in such a system. When (and why) Should “buying” votes here and possibly in future reality competitions become the norm?

• FreeHaley says:

You don’t need to subscribe to iTunes, you just go to the iTunes store and download. No subscriptions involved whatsoever. It is just a click on album or song place.

14. Nomo Stew says:

Any show that would cut Michaela and save Dez is clearly appealing to a talent-optional demographic. I’d had fun enjoying the substance of this show until tonight, but now I’m done until maybe the end. If that’s Sylvia, Amanda, and Trevin, then I’ll be back in.

• Sam says:

Yeah but then this SAME show saved Nicholas who’s AMAZING and I wasn’t sure would be voted through by America due to on his look/age. Dez wasn’t that terrible to be voted off in the first week you know 0_o

15. Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

If anyone needs to go it’s Melanie Martinez, Dez Duron, and Cody Belew.

16. Josh says:

Just like GUY Idol all the men are safe screaming teenage girls who vote with their horomones are a menace to Idol X factor and The voice keeping overrated attractive men long past their due though it is fitting Dumbo Blake lost one tonight Liz is better than Micheala!

17. analythinker says:

I would have switched Michaela with Cassadee as I agree with Slezak here. I just do NOT get what’s so special about this little Miss Hey Monday. Sure she has a previously-established fanbase who will power-vote for her and the fact that she HAS a fanbase means there’s interest in her somehow but that doesn’t always mean the person has talent (*cough*Kesha*cough*). It could very well be her personality, which I’m sure is nice.

She needs to seriously step up her game, big time, if she is to prove she’s fit into today’s music industry. Do a stripped down acoustic, show vulnerability or emotion, maybe like Melanie? (and I don’t care that much about Melanie but she seems to know what direction she’s aiming for by her song choices)

Maybe I kept waiting for Cassadee to surprise me by doing great but it just never happened. I still have hopes though.

• Samantha says:

Nope, she’s not nice. I have a friend who works with a band and that band played with them last year and she said she was a major bitch and thought she was way better than everyone else!

• Kristin Mackay says:

I have seen Cassadee Pope way too many times and not by choice. I did love her band, especially Jersey and Mike Gentile. I have always called them Hey Menday. (I even have a little tattoo of Jersey’s autograph) I have met Cassadee more times than I can think, not once was she nice. And the girl cannot sing! I mean, she can’t sing! What do they see in her? I know a lot of stuff about her and I know she is not a good person, she is very selfish. Done with my rant now

18. Teeny Bikini says:

Glad Cody is still around. Melanie is one lucky chick – can’t wait for her to go. I am growing tired of Cassadee’s tin-y voice. I definitely mute every time she’s on. I don’t care who wins – unless it’s Nicholas. He is the only one I find remotely interesting or “new.”

19. Anna says:

Frustrated about Michaela. Done.

• ETG says:

While I think that Michaela left WAY too soon, I am not about to stop watching; there are still several really good contestants left. I DO hope that Cassadee and Cody get sent packing next week, though!!!!

• Nomo Stew says:

A voting system that dumps Michaela before Dez (not to mention about 4 others) will do other stupid things. No point wasting time on that kind of silliness.

20. Raven says:

Surprised Cassadee is still there. She may win…because I never saw the last season’s winner coming. I was sure it would have been the rock girl, but the black version of Tom Jones won. go figure.

• FreeHaley says:

Yeah it was a travesty that she didn’t take the win last season! It’s almost impossible for a female to win The Voice or AI.

21. Templar says:

I’m just glad Trevin is still in it.

22. jenn says:

Adriana: Deserved to go. Lovely girl, but had serious issues with pitch
    Amanda:deserved it for sure. Last performance wasn’t perfect, but she still is a strong contender.
    Bryan`: Love him, love his rasp and loved his take on Amy’s classic.
    Cassadee: I can’t deal with her fanbase. She’s not as good as the others and if she makes it beyond the top 8, the Voice will lose credibility.
    Cody: Like him, love his personality, wish he picked something like hard to handle
    Dez: So pretty. Getting better but still not the best
    Melanie: I just didn’t care about her until Cough syrup, won’t win, but will get a fanbase.
    Michaela: Heartbreaking to see her go, but her pink performance was subpar.
    Nicholas: Cool dude. Love him, though needs more modern songs!
    Sylvia: Stay away from Celine and you’ll go far!
    Terry: Love him, needs to do 60s and 70s rock, leave the 80s hairbands
    Trevin: Killer voice, killer emotion.

• FreeHaley says:

Hey don’t knock 80s hair bands! hah. But since when is Boston a hairband??

• jenn says:

Agreed about Boston, my mistake. Nothing against hair bands (Except that horrid song we built this city) but he’s more The Who, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones than Journey, Kansas and Foreigner.

• Snsetblaze says:

We built this city was a 80s song but by a band around since the 60s I believe – Jefferson Airplane though at that point theay have been Jefferson Starship. And the band was not a hair band. Also wasn’t the Boston album out in the late 70s before hair bands?

• FreeHaley says:

Yeah it was and they were definitely Starship during that more 80s pop time when they released that song and it was even close to mid-70s than even late 70s for MTAF although it became famous again right around the very start of the 80s when it was the theme song or at least a major song on Foxes.

23. Raven says:

Hoping Trevin win, but with my luck Cassadee will take this thing.

24. Raven says:

Actually I wouldn’t mind if Terry or Nicholas won…I love them both too

• FreeHaley says:

yeah Trevin, Nicholas, or Terry I could live with, heck more than that celebrate, even though it would mean a female winner would truly be on the official endangered species list for these shows.

25. FreeHaley says:

“Of course, after Carson Daly asked Cee Lo how he felt about Cody’s chances, and then engaged both Cody and Melanie in conversation while treating Adriana and Michaela as if they’d just arrived from a leper colony, the results weren’t much of a shocker.”

Yeah I was surprised he telegraphed it so much, even back to when he asked CeeLo if he thought his entire team might survive.
    But when he only let two of the four speak you just knew Adriana and Michaela were goners.

• dan says:

I’m not a Carson hater, but last night he was terrible. The flow of the show was awkward (not his fault) and he had to constantly shift from one weird moment to the next. I hope the producers clean up the results show for next week. In terms of the actual results, I though Michaela should’ve stayed while Melanie needed to go home (I just don’t get her). Anybody else notice that the final four were the four who were saved by their coaches the week before? I’m surprised that Carson didn’t mention it (you know the producers had it set up that way in deciding the order that the contestants were saved). I’m sure that “drama” was built into the order of announcing names. No way were Amanda and Terry that far down in the vote totals.

26. FreeHaley says:

No, the right two didn’t go home (although they did not have their best performances of the season), I don’t think. Probably should have been Cody since he has had no truly amazing moment yet and had a very flat night last night and Melanie has grown tiresome (still badly wishing Adam had saved Joselyn all the more now, he may end up with Bryan going against Trevin and Dez and Terry in which case, if Amanda doesn’t rise up again, he may have played the game way better with a Joselyn as it turns out….).

They didn’t say whether or not those were actually the bottom four or not, it almost seemed like they may have been. I bet they were at least the bottom vote getter from each team at the very least.

• Rain says:

I have to respectfully disagree about Cody. Yes, this week wasn’t his best but that was due to CeeLo’s terrible song choice. His cover of Jolene was definitely amazing and made me a true fan of his. I just wish he’d get to sing another song that actually shows the real talent he has.

• Sara says:

I agree with you! Jolene was definitely the moment that I think the judges really started to see him as a legit talent instead of a fun personality.

• FreeHaley says:

Yeah he was pretty good then. I guess I was just thinking since someone had to go and since it was such a weak, vocally drab performance this week it might be him. He did have a couple of pretty good weeks before. I guess just between this week and his audition…. I don’t know. I was very glad that he was the one Cee Lo had saved of the remaining three choices last week.

27. Jamey says:

Also agreed he telegraphed the first two saves too – ridiculous!

28. FreeHaley says:

Overall I had Trevin, Nicholas, Terry, Dez as my top four from last night. Then Bryan and Sylvia. Then the next bunches: Then Adrianna,Michaela and Cassadee. Then Cody. Then Melanie and Amanda. But Amanda had been so awesome she was not at all my bottom two overall. It was a hard call but I was thinking Melanie and perhaps Cody.

• Alex says:

I thought Cody doing Jolene was one of the top 3 performances this year. That and Dream On and the Scotish guy doing Wings. Cody is just too inconsistent.

29. Niko says:

Boot Cassadee A.S.A.P, America. She’s consistently the worst in the live shows.

30. Sara says:

I am so glad that Cody is still around. I love his voice, I love his personality, I love his bam-bam moves. He will keep getting the majority of my votes as long as I can give them to him, which will hopefully be for a while.
    I also really love Nicholas, Terry, and (although she had a weird night) Amanda. I hope that one of these 4 win.

31. Titina says:

I was sooo happy Cody was safe! He totally deserves to be there.
    Sorry but Michaela was awful flat this week doing a Pink song will never do any favors.
    Cody has an amazing talent but sadly Ceelo gave him an awful song choice. Cody IMO is the best natural performer of them all.. He just needs another great pick.
    Hope he makes a comeback next week. I am still rooting for him!
    America picked the right people to go home for sure..

• Sam says:

I agree! And he’s also the most likeable out of everyone in my opinion.

• mdutchone says:

I find Cody very likeable as well – don’t get the hate towards him. I also think he has a lovely tone to his voice, unlike Sylvia’s (strident), Dez (mediocre and flat), and Cassadee (thin and helium-filled).
      I think everyone would benefit if the band didn’t overpower the vocals – I think a lot of bum notes happen because the singers are trying to be heard over the music.

• Owen says:

The hate comes from him being an exuberant, fabulous gay man. Of course that’s where the love comes from too.

• mdutchone says:

Haha! True, I suppose, but he backs it up with an excellent voice, which is what got my attention first – the rest is the bonus that actually makes me pick up the phone for him. Without him there would be a lot of sterile performers left (not everyone, but most of them).

32. brandon69 says:

Am I the only one who feels the crowd here is way too hostile towards Dez?? I mean just because he is a pretty boy does not mean that his performance lfrom last night should be overlooked.Singing a song made popular by lauryn Hill is never easy.

• dan says:

His looks play a big part in his appeal. Blake mentions Dez’s good looks just about every time he talks about the guy. I’m sure it isn’t just the teenage girls voting for him. He did a decent job on Monday night and will probably last a few more weeks. He also did a good job with Jason Aldeen and I was impressed with the country twang in his voice (he is from Louisiana, after all). Maybe he should go country rock next week and make Blake love him more!

• Rain says:

I don’t mean to be hostile about anything, however the only thing he has going for him on this show is his looks. His singing is no where near the talent of most of the other performers on the show and he’s soooooo boring to watch. He has no stage presence. I feel bad saying it because I think he seems like a nice kid – I just don’t think he belongs in the competition.

33. Julio says:

Adrianna leaving was the right choice. Pleasant girl, but she was outmatched by several people that left last week — not the least of whom was De’Borah.

Michaela leaving was not. She was the strongest contestant left on Team Blake — yes, stronger than Terry, too. Terry keeps missing high notes. I haven’t heard Michaela miss a single note and she has great stage presence. I don’t hate Cassadee, but you had to look no further than tonight’s performance of “Life is a Highway” to see how much better Michaela is than Cassadee.

But I’d actually have kept all three of Team Blake and dumped Dez from Team Christina. Yes, he was better this week than he’s been in the past, but he hasn’t overall been as strong as Michaela, Cody or Melanie out of the last four. All three of them deserved to stay more than the pretty boy.

But I surprised myself in that as much as I have liked Melanie and Cody, when it came down to the final four, I would have been OK with any of them BUT Michaela leaving.

All of that said, Carson Daly is about the worst at building suspense in the entire world. Every save was telegraphed by which contestants got spoken to or featured. Pathetic.

34. Aria says:

No real surprises here. Adriana was touted as a frontrunner early on, but her last few weeks of performances sank her ship. Michaela was truly screwed over by lack of airtime. Yes, she went first, but we also never really saw much of her until the battle rounds. Loren Allred was the other one who made the live shows and got this treatments, except Loren’s was worse in that we didn’t really see her until Knockouts. Perhaps Blake should have taken that into account when picking Michaela over Liz or Julio, both of whom got plenty of airtime and chances to build a fanbase. Michaela deserved to stick around, but she really did get the short end of the editing stick.

35. Michael says:

Michael…your inexplicable hatred of Cassadee has now gone beyond making me snicker. It has reached the point of being unnecessary and in my opinion is truly starting to hurt your credibility. We get it. You hate her. The bottom line, though, is that she has talent. Is she the best singer on the show? No, however, she is far from the worst. Please get over it and, at least, try to be objective without taking unprovoked shots in the process. As annoying as it is to hear Blake gush over her unnecessarily, it is equally annoying to hear you do the opposite.

• Johnny says:

Dude, he didn’t even hate on her at all here. He just listed her as one of several performers that Michaela did better than, which I tend to agree with despite being a Cassadee fan myself. Grow up and hush up, or search elsewhere for recaps.

36. Danny says:

Where on Itunes can ya find the top 200? I’ve found the top 100, but not top 200.

37. Debbie M says:

Not pleased to see Michaela not go through. I’m still hating on Xtina for picking Adriana over Deborah. That’s the real tragedy!

• FreeHaley says:

It is a shame that some like DeBorah and Suzanna and Nicole and Joselyn are gone before top 12. But that is the whims of reality and life as well I guess.

But looking forward to what those who remain do. Hopefully Amanda knocks it out of the park again next week as in the weeks before this one. Nicholas just keeps rolling. Who knows maybe Melanie gets me interested again as I was at the start.

38. Danny says:

I tunes sales (from top 100)
    30- Trevin
    33- Cassadee- like her or not, if she’s selling, she deserves to be in
    37- Terry
    45- Bryan
    50- Melanie- same as Cassadee, sales say she should be in.
    63- Dez
    65- Nicholas
    99- Sylvia

That’s 8 out of the top 12. Not bad for the Voice.

I liked Michaela quite a bit. I’m not crazy about some of the ones listed above. I certainly liked Michaela more that most listed. I have no qualms w/ the results though if these are how the sales are. It’s a good mix of voting and how they’re doing on the charts.

A few years ago I blew my top when Haley didn’t win Idol. She was leading in not only obvious talent, but YouTube hits, I-tunes sales, and general water cooler talk. Water cooler talk I know is subjective, but there was a lot more buzz about her than any of the others. Had she lost because a bunch of the others sold more than she did, it would have been easier to accept.

On the Voice here, I may not like the results, but I can accept them if this is how the voting system works.

• FreeHaley says:

Yeah the Haley thing still sticks in my craw. I lost most of my respect for AI after that. Especially since not only did she not win, which is one thing even, but the whole production and most of the judges blatantly ran the bus over her and played editing tricks. I didn’t appreciate that sort of dirty pool and to do it to what could have been the best story of the season and to fight it all the way just to stick to plans, so bad. Too bad she hasn’t gotten quite the full notice from pop radio play. At least she has caught attention below that sort of radar though and had some big guns invite her to Carnegie Hall and other amazing things.

• FreeHaley says:

Still not sure why it won’t show you all top 200 anyway from the latest on the top 200:
      Obvously they all peaked much higher than this but at this moment:
      52. Trevin
      59. Cassadee
      75. Bryan
      79. Melanie
      81. Terry
      111. Dez
      116. Nicholas
      164. Amanda – but from last week (so to still chart above some from this week ain’t bad)
      168. Sylvia
      all the rest are below 200 now

39. spongebob says:

Mixed emotions about the result. I felt like Adriana’s improving. Michaela blew it with the vocals.

Top 12 (cumulative)
    1 Terry 3
    2 Bryan 5
    3 Trevin 6
    4 Dez 8
    4 Adriana 8
    6 Cody 9
    7 Cassadee10
    8 Melanie 11
    9 Sylvia 12
    9 Michaela 12
    11 Nicholas 13
    11 Amanda 13

• FreeHaley says:

Amanda and Nicholas worst two over the entire course of the competition or am I confused in what you are doing there?

40. Ann VerWiebe says:

Stayin’ Alive was awful. Enough to switch over to the infomercial channel.

41. Leela says:

I just don’t buy that “singing first” is a disadvantage. Don’t people have favorites, or write down the one or two names they want to vote for? It’s like going to a restaurant & the waiter reads the specials – don’t you mentally say No, that one has eggplant, no, that one has beets, YES I love the 3rd special with spinach? How hard is it to weed out stuff you don’t like? And aside from a select few there’s a lot not to like in this final 12. Michaela & Cody so deserved to stay (along with De’Borah) but instead we’ve got tried and true bland pop girls.

• analythinker says:

It could be the disadvantage, specially for those casual audiences who tune in late or who only watch the recap at the end of the show (I know there’s Tivo and all, but still). Fans of certain contestants who watch from the beginning can find contestants other-than-they-plan to-vote-for appealing and might throw some votes their way. This kind of votes might not contribute percentage enough to keep some contestants safe, but it certainly is an advantage. In the end, it helps to be memorable, IMO.