Dancing With the Stars Week 8 Results: Did the Right Couples Go Home?

After electing (or should I say re-electing) a president and enduring a brutal hurricane, who can feel guilty about pressing the “pause” button on serious business for a little while and relishing the prospect of a juicy double-elimination on Dancing With the Stars’ Week 8 results show?

A quick, pre-show review of the confusing array of combined scores over the past couple weeks hinted at one clear heave-ho from the All-Stars roster — yes, it looked like time was up for my beloved Kirstie Alley — plus a second, more unpredictable adieu. (Leaderboard be darned, anyone remains fair game at this point.)

Of course, no results show would be complete without the requisite musical performances (the legend that is Kylie Minogue, the Broadway cast of “Newsies”, and Ne-Yo, who were all uniquely dazzling), and of course, some drama-inducing behind-the-scenes clips (including Derek’s requisite slow-motion shirtless-ness).

But without further ado, it’s time we cut to the moment of truth — tonight’s double-whammy results:

ELIMINATION 1: FINAL TWO COUPLES LEFT “IN JEOPARDY”
Kirstie Alley and Maksim Chmerkovskiy
Kelly Monaco and Valentin Chmerkovskiy

ELIMINATED
Kirstie Alley and Maksim Chmerkovskiy

“The second time around just, it was very special to me … to be asked to come back first of all was an honor,” said a composed Alley of being the latest All-Star to lose out on Mirrorball glory, before graciously adding, “ I just love dancing, I want to thank the judges, because your critiques really helped me…I love you!” We love you too, Kirstie!

ELIMINATION 2: FINAL TWO COUPLES LEFT “IN JEOPARDY”
Gilles Marini and Peta Murgatroyd
Apolo Anton Ohno and Karina Smirnoff

ELIMINATED
Gilles Marini and Peta Murgatroyd

“I felt it, because of those community scores for the last two weeks … it was a bit iffy,” said a dejected Gilles of losing his Mirrorball dream. “I tried my very best, Peta was an angel out there, teaching me,” he added, before throwing some love to his wife in the audience. “Without her, I’m really nothing,” the Brothers & Sisters star added. Now that is the definition of a gentleman, Gilles!

And with that, it’s your turn. Did the right couples get booted? If not, who should have really gone home tonight? Which couples are looking strongest going into next week’s semifinals? Is Len really the grumpy old judge, or a misunderstood love bug? Sound off in the comments! –Mitch Rustad

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Dancing With The Stars, Reality TV, Recaps

1. brian nussbaum says:

They were wrong it should have been Emmit and Cheryl And Kelly and Val shuld have been eliminated

• Laquisha says:

No way did Kirstie and Maks deserve to be there over Kelly and Val.

• TheFactsR says:

Exactly Kirstie should of been gone weeks ago or better yet should not be on the all stars it was way over her capabilities. Emmett is way better than Giles

• Tess says:

I would’ve been much happier with that too…

Much as I love Kirstie and Maks, I can accept that they were not up to the same caliber as the others at this point and sad as it is to see them go I can deal with that better than losing Sabrina last week when I couldn’t even see it (due to the hurricane coverage bumping the show here in NY). But Gilles and Peta, like Sabrina and Louis, deserved to be in the final 3. I am really shocked that Gilles didn’t have enough fans voting to keep him around. Now that Gilles’ gone, I cannot see any remaining contestant snatching the mirrorball away from Shawn. She’s the only one left truly deserving for the win. I’m now hoping for Melissa to come in second…not sure who of the other 3 I’d rather see in the final 3 with them now.

• JJSask says:

Exactly. Emmet is the worst dancer. He just stands there and moves his hips while Cheryl dances. He shouldn’t have won his season and he should have been long gone this season.

• Rosemary says:

My sentiments exactly. Gilles was robbed the first time he was on. He has always been one of the premier contestants who gives his all and performs difficult choreagraphy to achieve his routines. Emmett doesn’t even come close.

• Are you on crack? Kirstie deserved to go home weeks ago.

• Unfair says:

You are really abrasive! You say someone is on crack because they don’t agree with you on a topic! Yes Kirstie deserved to go home but to acuse a poster of being on crack is rude and abrasive.

• Richard Garb says:

JUDGES SHOULD BE ALLOWED ONE SAVE.Giles is one of three best. KELLY &3 EMMET SHOULD GO FIRST. Giles has been. Cheated twice!!!

• Unfair says:

NOPE he wasn’t that good. I didn’t care for him the first time he was on the show and he was worse the second time with that sub standard pro.

2. Stephanie says:

Kirstie, great she needed to go. And while I don’t think Gilles was gonna win, there were some other people that should have gone before him. Cough cough Emmit!

3. CC says:

I expected Kirstie to go home but I really thought either Kelly or Emmit should have been the other contestant to go home.

4. TheFactsR says:

FOR SURE! weeks late but at least those two are gone NOW.

5. jesse says:

Would’ve much preferred Kelly and Apollo to go home. It would be nice if a non-champ wins the all star season, but I’m not sure if Melissa has enough to pull it off. I thought Gilles deserved to win it all this year – and what Kirstie lacks in dancing, she makes up for in spades with being so entertaining. Bleh.

6. Angela says:

Not bothered about Kirstie leaving, but poo to Gilles leaving. I wanted him to stick around.

7. Riah says:

Kirstie yes……Gilles HELL NO!!!!!!!

8. TheFactsR says:

What a release of pressure when those two were out! Long over due for both to leave.

9. I loooooove you Chelsie. Knocked the competition OUT!

10. jules says:

Who cares. After that show all I can think about is the newsies and how much I want to do each and every one those very flexible boys.

11. bobbye says:

In what alternate reality is Emutt considered a dancer? What a travesty.

12. Linda says:

Does Kelly ever smile? She needs to pull that stick out of her @ss 90% of the time.

• Mary says:

Yes she does, maybe not a fake smile plastered on like Melissa and Sabrina all the time. She was nervous waiting for the results, sorry I wouldn’t have a smile on my face. I am happy with the results, Gilles was getting on my nerves but I will agree he is a better dancer than Emmitt

13. Ben says:

I like Kelly and Val, and I’m glad they made it another week. I think Emmitt should be the next to go; he’s great and all, but it’s time.

• Unfair says:

Keep up 2 will go and I am thinking Kelly could be next, very possible for she has the lowest over all scores of all who are left and that doesn’t set well in Kelly’s favor to say she is a better dancer when clearly the judges are saying NO SHE IS NOT!

14. wordsmith says:

Interesting that about half of the comments thus far on this article are from just one poster. Clearly a very opinionated lady or gentleman…

15. Allison P says:

I thought Emmitt was overscored by the judges and should have gone home instead of Gilles. I’m so sad that Gilles won’t get a second chance at the trophy, since he deserved winning in his first season.

16. JDuro says:

Glad Emmitt made Top 5 which was my hope at the beginning of the season.
    I REALLY hope Melissa and Tony win this season. Melissa is amazing and Tony deserves to win. He’s gotten such crap partners season after season and I adore his partnership with Melissa that he lucked into a couple years ago.
    The worst result for me would be Derek winning again with another ringer celeb dancer. I doubt it will happen but I would love he and Shawn leaving in a shock elim.

17. Liz says:

So very happy with both of tonight’s eliminations. I hope Melissa, Shawn, and Apolo make the finals with Melissa winning this time.

18. Sara says:

Kirstie was right to go home. Sad to say. I love her, and I adore Maks, and their relationship is really a joy to watch but at this point unfortunately she had to go. Gilles should not have gone home. I think Emmett should have gone before him. I didn’t understand Emmett getting a 30 for his trio dance – all he did was shake his butt. Others deserved 30’s and he did not. Hoping to see Kelly, Shawn, and Melissa in the finals. Would loooove it if Kelly or Shawn won (although I don’t fancy seeing Derek win AGAIN, and I’d be a little sad to see Val win already and Maks hasn’t lol)

• Dancing queen says:

Gotta say it, I think little bro Val is a better dancer, and he got lucky with a better partner. While Kelly needs to quit being so uptight, her dancing has been a huge surprise to me this time around. And Kirstie’s popularity and humor can only go so far.

• How can you compare apples to oranges, answer you, you can’t! Maks has had who Kirstie Alley a 61 year old cougar 2 times, a older woman with spine surgery, a crying maniac news reporter, a new mom of 6 weeks, a female prize fighter, a neurotic Charlie x-wife, a neurotic actress from Italy.

Val gets a former champion!

Duh apples to oranges!

• Carezy says:

Wow, did you even watch Kelly’s first season? She was terrible and had the clear disadvantage coming into this season. She only danced 6 dances, and the bar was set so low. She is by far the most improved from her first season to all stars. Val is the reason she can dance the way she dances now. Go check Kelly’s dances with Alec and then your opinion on how god Val is may change!

Maks had brandy and Mel B… Don’t forget. Mel should’ve won though.

• Unfair says:

your comment makes NO sense. What was said by LePrimm was that Kirstie, Tia, Air head Richards and others couldn’t be compared to Kelly so to judge 2 brothers with completely different partners is not possible.

I do believe if you look at Maks world wins and Vals world wins you will find that you are WRONG! Then that Maks help teach VAL to dance when Maks had his first dance studio at age 16 or something of the age, so you are trying to compare apples to oranges and that won’t comput

19. amylee says:

Im so sick of people trashing the contestants!! its supposed to be fun. while im slightly biast Kelly works her ass off on the show and on GH.. its not the easiest occupation and she comes every week and does her best. she listens to the critique and doesn’t always talk back.. and i must be seeing things all those people who say shes always all over him – ive always thought it was the other way round! kudos to Kelly for putting up with all the crap.

20. Ella says:

Would love to see Kelly make it to the finals. Unfortunately, Len seems to grade her lower than she deserves. I tend to think Melissa, Shawn and Apollo have the advantage over the competiton – sports stars and dancers all. Kelly has made it farther and done more dances than she did in her season and has the disadvantage of learning some if these dances for the first time this season which makes her performance even more impressive IMO.

• Mary says:

I agree, I thought she has improved tremendously since her season. It’s not easy working all day and then learning new dances. I enjoy her dances and thinks she is underscored more times than not. Sorry Emmett did not deserve a 30 for his dance and really he should of left before Gilles, even though I am glad he is gone. I do not know why everyone thinks she should always have a smile on her face. I do think most of the time it is because she is nervous that she will be eliminated. I am rooting for the three girls in the final.

• Nichole says:

I’m with you. Not only is Kelly my fave this round, she’s the only one left that still has me tuning in. All the judges have been underscoring her, or at least overscoring some others to the point that it seems she’s being underscored. I also love that she’s not really into “playing the game”. She gives it her best every week but isn’t begging for votes. Love that about her. Team Kelly all the way!

• Unfair says:

She has the lowest total scores of all who are left to dance and her vegas odds are 1000, doesn’t sound as though things are shaking out in Kelly’s favor this go round.

• She also makes people SICK with the kissy routine of chasing her younger partner Val. COUGARS a go go the C boys got this season. THAT IS the sick part.

• Meg says:

36 years old is not a cougar.

• Mary says:

It might bother you but it doesn’t faze me in the least. I judge the dancing and I believe she is better than the two guys left. I don’t know Kelly and Val exact age, but I don’t believe there is a big difference.

• Ella says:

That’s for show. Kelly’s boyfriend sits in the audience next to Nancy Lee Grahn every week. It’s a flirtatious act from an actress. I agree with Mary and also like that she doesn’t play the game so to speak. She’s doing her best but doesn’t kiss butt. She’s an extremely direct woman which can turn some people off. At the same time, it garners respect from others.

• Angela says:

Well, maybe I’m weird, but I generally don’t pay attention to that stuff when I watch the show. I focus on the, y’know, dancing. Any flirtations or personal romances or whatever that go on behind the scenes really aren’t any of my business. Nor should they be anyone else’s.

21. sofashimmier says:

I dunno. I’ve found Gilles personality and intensity a bit of a turn-off. He’s just struck me as a little too cocky, like he’s doing America a favor by dancing for us each week. Not saying he wasn’t a good dancer. Boy did he try hard. But I just get a lil vibe he may not be the easiest person to work with. And now maybe I’m thinking I’m not the only one. Happy Apolo’s still in. He’s been improving lots. And glad Shawn didn’t get Sabrina-d for that awful bromance bro-dance Derek and Mark made her do.

22. Maria says:

At last the right couples went home! It was time for Kristy to go, although I love her dearly, it was obvious that she was struggling. Gilles was just insufferable this whole season (and I really liked him in the first one and on both In Plain Sight and B&S)- not in terms of dancing, he can dance with the best of them, but the attitude was grating. This mix of arrogant self-promotion and fake humility proved to be a potent turn off combo. Plus it seemed like half of the time he wasn’t really aware of what show he was on, kept thinking he was doing open heart surgery and not dancing. Super glad he’s gone!

23. Chloe says:

Emmitt was definitely scored too high for his salsa, he seems to be Carrie Ann’s favourite! Sad to see Gilles go as he wasn’t the worst dancer. I like Apollo but he doesn’t seem as good a dancer this year, I think its down to the partnership.

24. Mary says:

I want an all girl finale. I think the two guys standing are the weaker dancers. The girls have more chemistry with their partners than the guys and that makes the dancing more enjoyable to watch. The judges need to score appropriately, Emmitt did not deserve a 30 to shake his butt. It is not fair that they get graded on a curve. I would be happy with either Kelly or Melissa winning the whole thing.

25. Melissa says:

Kristie and Maks – Yes, it was their time to go.

Giles and Peta?? – HELL NO. Was sooooo not their time to go. It should have been Apolo and Karina, Emmet and Cheryl or Kelly and Val. Giles is above all of them when it comes to skill.

Now I relaly hope Melissa and Tony win since my pick was Giles and Peta

26. Melissa says:

Even though he’s the weakest dancer of all the ones left, I’d say Emmet is gonna win because for some reason people vote like crazy for the football guys….I don’t get it.

27. Andrea says:

Really rooting for Melissa and Tony!

28. GeeMa says:

Just don’t understand all the Giles negativity. I think all the stars do the best they can. And, have to admit, he was easy to watch.

29. gailer says:

What a horrible picture of Kirstie up above..lol
    We soap opera fans are trying to keep Kelly in the competition, so far so good.

30. GingerSnap says:

Five couples left.
    Athletes: Emmett, Apolo, Shawn
    Nonathlete: Kelly
    And Melissa, who has enough in her background to almost qualify as an athlete.

The show is progressing true to its history. Odds are one of the athletes wins. My guess is Shawn, but I would love to see Tony & Melissa win. He rarely is partnered with someone who is athletic and can dance. Go Tony and Melissa!

31. Linda F says:

As much as I liked Kirstie and Maks, she just didn’t have the skills of the others, so she should have gone a couple of weeks ago. But Gilles? He should have been in the final 3. I don’t care about personality, just about dance skills, and he’s got them. I think Emmett or Kelly should have gone before Gilles did.

• Mary says:

Emmett yes, but Kelly has more dance skills I believe than Gilles. She looks graceful on the dance floor. Gilles hands just seem wrong when he danced. I believe most people who likes him probably didn’t notice due to the fact he was half undressed most of the time. Chemistry and personality does play into the dance routine. If you aren’t in sync with your partner I don’t care how good you are, you look off.

32. Donna Strach says:

I am sorry kristie is gone, but it was her time. I cannt belive that giles is gone, it should have been apolo or emmet. I am rooting for melisa and tony.

33. Elizabeth says:

I’m so glad that Kelly Monaco is still on DwTS. There has been a noticeable decrease in her airtime on General Hospital since she started and it makes GH a lot more watchable.

• Unfair says:

HAHA so funny Elizabeth, I thought oh no here goes that long drawn out spill again about how good Kelly is at dancing when I know her total scores are lowest left on the show and then to get you enjoy your soap watching more now from the fact that Kelly is gone more during DWTS I laughed until I cried.

34. Unfair says:

So funny to read some soap fans actually want Kelly on DWTS to keep her away from the soap they love to watch more while she is off the show much more often. HAHA