Exclusive

Exclusive: Arrow Targets Fringe's Seth Gabel to Play Big Bad 'Vertigo'

Seth Gabel Arrow Season 1 VertigoThis is sure to make fanboys and girls everywhere dizzy with excitement: Fringe alum Seth Gabel is joining Arrow as a “scary and nightmarish” super-villain modeled after the DC Comics character Vertigo, TVLine has learned exclusively.

PHOTOS | First Look: Arrow Meets the Huntress

As we reported earlier this month, The CW hit’s version of Vertigo will be vastly different from the Vlatavan count in the comics. First off, his name won’t be Vertigo. Secondly, Not-Vertigo will exude a darkly grounded, Christopher Nolan-esque vibe.

On the other hand, the deadly new drug that becomes all the rage in Starling City in the Big Bad’s introductory episode (slated to air in early 2013) will be called Vertigo. (It’s safe to say Not-Vertigo’s superpower — the ability to disorient and unbalance his victims — will remain intact.)

RELATED | Farscape Vet Joins Arrow as [Spoiler]

An Arrow source describes the evildoer as “Oliver’s deadliest adversary to date.”

The gig reunites Gabel with his former Dirty Sexy Money boss Greg Berlanti, who is an EP on Arrow.

1. shuayb says:

Awesome awesome news. There’s only two people who I thought could do justice to this role. One is Seth Gabel the other Sebastian Stan. Seth Gabel will be awesome and frightening in this role. He has the capability.

• murley says:

both great choices! i too would have been thrilled with either one but am very excited to have seth gabel back on my screen.

2. Donna says:

Awesome news! Can’t wait to see him play a bad guy.

3. Shaun says:

Why can’t characters just be named what they are?!Why bother changing Vertigo?

• Tanner says:

A character named Werner Vertigo/Count Vertigo, who just so happens to have the power to induce a a Vertigo-like state in people is fine for a sci-fi/fantasy based comic book setting. It doesn’t work in a more realistic story. First of all, no one’s last name is actually Vertigo in the real world. And it’s way too convenient for your name to be the same as your ability.

• Delirious says:

What about Deathstroke? And we’ve seen several others announced, like The Huntress, or Firefly. And do we know the name of this week’s baddie, who is referred to as “the King of the Royal Flush Gang”? Or, is China White’s name real or just an alias/coverup? (in the original comics, or should I say comic, since it’s Green Arrow Year One where she appears, it’s Queen who calls her that, it’s not her name) It’s a fictional world, with a hooded vigilante having superhuman skills, and they call him “the hood” (will he eventually called Arrow, or Green Arrow? Clark was never called Superman in Smallville, so who knows), and it’s just natural that heroes and villains have aliases, as weird/dumb as they might be. And a high level criminal covering his real identity by calling himself “Vertigo” (or being called that by others) doesn’t seem so ridiculous to me, anyway.
        Anyway, I’m more worried about is the part of the “powers”. If they just make it so that Not-Vertigo can use a modified drug, like Bane or Scarecrow, to induce those effects, I guess it’s ok, but if they go into actually giving him proper powers, I’m not sure how it would fit in this moderately-realistic world they’ve created for the series. It’s not like Smallville, where there’s people with crazy powers, may they be natural, artificial, or meteorite-based. Up until now, it’s all been within certain limits of normality, where no-one has “unexplicable powers”, just heightened regular skills… Hope they don’t screw the general tone of the show by suddenly jumping into the purely sci-fi pool :S

4. Michelle says:

Hell yes! So excited to have Seth Ganel back on my screen.

5. Amanda says:

Love it!! What a great casting choice!

6. Rachel says:

So happy I can get my Seth Gabel fix back – I absolutely LOVED him on Fringe and have sorely missed him since they dropped the 2 universes story line. I’m liking Arrow ok so far, but this just guaranteed my continued watching :)

7. Julie says:

This makes for another to reason to keep watching the show. Loved Seth on FRINGE. He’s such a great actor and I can’t wait to see him play the villain!!! FINALLY!!

8. Ainav says:

In one word: YES.

9. Emily says:

Get John Barrowman and Seth Gabel on screen at the same time and my life will be complete.

10. Hibsta says:

I’ve always wondered why they don’t have a villain stick around for a few episodes for a story arc, now I can’t say that anymore. But a villain that I would’ve liked to see stick around is Deadshot

11. Dominique says:

I love this casting news, Seth Gabel is awesome!
    But what is it with this show casting people as “kinda Vertigo” or “kinda that one guy”. Why not just cast them AS Vertigo or who they model them after. I’ve been annoyed with this ever since they made Mia, Thea/Speedy, etc.

12. katrina says:

I like seeing Seth Gable hot and sweet, not evil! :(

13. Samantha says:

Don’t read the comics, so not familiar with Vertigo yet (although that sounds like it might be a good thing, I won’t be wanting to compare the two), but I am absolutely loving Arrow so far and I LOVE Seth Gabel, so the combination of the two on my television screen will feel like a belated Christmas present from DC Santa.

14. Mara says:

Stephen Amell and Seth Gabel on screen at the same time… OMG!!!
    He was a psycho in Nip/Tuck, and he was AMAZING!!! He was a really sweet, good guy in Fringe, and he was AWESOME!!! I’m pretty sure he’ll be INCREDIBLE in Arrow!!! Really good choice!!!

15. Nina says:

Yay! Great news! Can’t wait to see Seth Gabel on my tv again!!!!!!

16. Beth says:

YAY!!!!!!! Yet another reason to keep watching my new favorite show of the year!!!

17. were123 says:

YES! YES! YESSSS! I love Fringe and Arrow is my favorite new show, so seing Seth Gable on it will be awesome! Please make him a recurring character, PLEASSEE!!

18. Tallulah says: