Bones Preview: Booth and Brennan Grow 'Closer' in a 'Moving' 9/11-Related Episode

Bones David BoreanazFox’s Bones takes a very dramatic turn this Monday at 8/7c, with an episode that tackles not only 9/11 but also the plight of war veterans.

When the Jeffersonian team attempts to identify the remains of a homeless man, they find that there’s much more to him than they first thought. He actually died as a result of the terrorist attacks.

VIDEO | Bones Exclusive: An ‘Intense’ 9/11-Related Case Makes Brennan Emotional

“That’s the culmination of the whole episode, that we honor this man,” previews Emily Deschanel. “As we put together his story, we realize that he was a hero and a veteran and that he needed a proper military burial. Booth gives him that. It’s very moving. The guy’s gone, but you can’t help being touched by something like that.”

Adds David Boreanaz: “It’s an intense episode. When you read [a script] of this magnitude, it just becomes a bit overwhelming. There’s a fear level to it because you want to get it right. And there’s a bit of you that says you don’t want to do it, because it’s too soon.”

In the end, the episode’s attention to the issues facing veterans earned the show special recognition from the L.A. City Council last Friday. Watch a fan-furnished video of the ceremony here:

“It’s a great honor to have the show recognized,” says executive producer Stephen Nathan, who also wrote the hour, titled “The Patriot in Purgatory.” “Sometimes we forget the impact [television] has on people at home who just turn on the TV for an hour to get some entertainment. You realize that you could do a little bit more than that sometimes.”

RELATED | Bones: 10 New Season 8 Spoilers, Including Finale Intel and a Near-Death Experience

Nathan has wanted to do more – in particular, tell a 9/11 story – for a long time. “[It was previously established that] Brennan was at the tower site afterwards identifying remains as a forensic anthropologist,” he explains. “Cam was a coroner [in New York]. She was working, as well. These are characters who are profoundly affected by that day.”

But while the seeds of the idea were there from the start, the challenge lay in figuring out how to “not exploit the events [and] the horror so much as the human cost that continues to present itself. [The victim] brings up the event, the emotional cost and the human costs in a new way.”

Bones

With each member of the team having their own connection to that tragic day and Booth’s history as a solider, everyone is deeply moved by the investigation. The memory of her involvement in the aftermath of the attacks and what could have been hits Brennan particularly hard now that she’s in a relationship with Booth. “[It] affects them very deeply as a couple,” says Nathan. “They found something between them that they had never discussed. They had never opened that wound — a wound that they both have.”

VIDEO | Bones Bosses Revisit Brennan and Booth’s Biggest Unsolved Mysteries

For Deschanel, who got emotional just reading the script, it revealed a new, more vulnerable side of her character. “She could turn off her humanity, in a way. And now she can’t,” says the actress. “Having a partner in her life makes her feel things she couldn’t feel before. She opens up to [Booth] and that brings them closer together.”

Amid all the weighty issues, there’s some humor thrown in as Temperance assembles an “all-star” team compromised of her five best squinterns: Clark, Arastoo, Wendell, Fisher and Finn.

“It’s like bringing The [Miami] Heat together — Dwayne Wade, [Chris] Bosh and I’ll be LeBron [James],” jokes Eugene Byrd, who plays Clark. Adds Michael Grant Terry (Wendell): “The chemistry was there immediately, and we’ve all become so much better friends for it.”

1. Margaret says:

i’m really intrigued to see this episode. it sounds like it will be very powerful & i’m excited to see the 5 squinterns together :)

2. Jon says:

So Cam was cowering in a corner? or was she working as a Coroner?

3. Lena says:

Sooo excited for this episode!!!

4. kentucky says:

We have been waiting for this, a serious Bones episode is what we have been looking for with a great story and good acting. Looking forward to it, when Bones is “on” they are really “on.”

5. Ashlyn says:

I still miss Vincent Nigel Murray. :( I loved him and all his facts.

6. Blake says:

Look at all the squinterns! :) Could we please get to see Zack again someday though?

• suzi says:

The character is still missed by many of us who watched from the very beginning.

• Lisa says:

I’ve also watched from the beginning and people should resign themselves to the fact that Zack is not coming back. Even if they find out he didn’t actually kill anybody he’s still an accessory to murder. He will only go from the looney bin to jail, not the lab.

• Carmen says:

I agree 100%. I liked Zach but he’s gone. Has been for years. It’s time to let him go.

• suzi says:

He doesn’t have to come back to the lab. He doesn’t even have to help on cases (which he did in a past episode). He could be visited occasionally, or seen through some kind of correspondence.. He was a huge part of their lives, and to have all these life-changing events occur with out even mentioning him is wrong. IMO of course. To which I’m entitled.

7. Bonesfan47 says:

It’s not all the squinterns becuase Daisy is not there and I love Daisy I am so sad that Sweets and Daisy broke up I loved them as a couple it’s all the male squinterns. and I am so excited for this episode!!!!

8. Maureen says:

I am excited about tomorrow’s episode of Bones. It looks like it’s going to be an awesome episode although I am sure it will be emotional. Will have plenty of tissue at hand because I think this will be a real tear jerker. Congrats to the Bones team for tackling the aftermath of 9/11 and veterans. We owe a lot to these people who have fought for our freedom. Bless each and every one of them.

9. adrienne says:

That”s it bones, keep looking deeper into this evolving relationship, it’s beautiful.

10. Reminds me of the West Wing episode where Toby took it upon himself to see to the Arlington burial of a homeless Koran War vet. One of the most emotional shows, next to when Mrs. Laningham died.

11. ANNE DAVIS says:

Why is Vincent Nigel-Murray back when he was killed last year? I can never understand that! I like him, it broke my heart when he was killed, but how can he come back? They sent his ashes to England while singing and that was the night Bones and Booth got together! or is it one of those unexplained things that happen on TV??

12. daniel says:

It shoildnt take a dn tv show to open peoples eye about this countries homeless veterans i served 5 yes and knew about our homeless veterans before i served i only wish there were more i could do for them they are my brothers

13. Peg says:

Does Temperance assemble an “all-star” team COMPROMISED or COMPRISED? I’d say if they’re compromised that that might be an issue.

14. daniel says:

I know i have some typos but damn this isnt a new problem its been a problem for yrs so wtf

15. mrs monica says:

why bones is nt telecasting on starworld?

16. Bob Hahn says:

I just saw the episode. WOW!

17. It was a Great Show last night. The whole cast was amazing. Good Work!

18. It was very touching,also to see all five interms work together made more exited to watch.i hope bones keep them on it makes the team complete.hey what was theslap on the asses about?

19. Sergei says:

I watched this episode and cried almost the entire time. As both a Veteran and an Flight Attendant – I was there when it happened. This was one, if not the most powerful episode I have seen. To see the vulnerability of Cam and Brennan brought me to my knees or tears and Booth’s tribute at the end at the gravesight did me in. My hat is off to the writers, Hart Hansen and the cast. AWESOME TRIBUTE AND JOB………

20. Lorraine Leckie says:

My son in law came back to us safe and sound only there is a change in this young man I see it behind his eyes.
    We also offer respect those families who have lost loved ones Scotland grief for her lost sons and daughters runs deep.
    Respect to all soldiers and let’s not forget the dog’s and animals bold and true.
    throughout the UK US and all service members, to play the part is one thing but doing the jobs is another.
    It’s time to send our children home so they can be with their families and we will once again hear the laughter and see the joy in their eyes.
    We will never forget.

21. Nikki says:

Just saw the episode, it’s one of the best, touching, beautifully written, and it still had a bit of humor. Plus I LOVED all the interns together.

22. bbritee says:

You do realize this is all bullsh*t tv and the masses aren’t buying it?