Exclusive

Exclusive Glee Photo: Blake Jenner and Melissa Benoist as Grease's Danny and Sandy

Grease was the word on the lips of Glee fans Thursday night as the cast list for McKinley’s production of the classic ’70s musical was announced.

Snagging the lead roles of Danny and Sandy were rookies Ryder (Blake Jenner) and Marley (Melissa Benoist), and we’ve got a first look at the pair channeling their inner John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John in next week’s episode.

RELATED | Glee Shocker: A Big Comeback Looms — Who Do You Think It Is?

The following image, captured during a performance of “You’re the One That I Want,” also features a glimpse of Jenna Ushkowitz’s Tina as Jan and Jacob Artist’s Jake as Putzie.

Check out the image below and then hit the comments with an answer to this question: Is this cast the one that you wanted?

Glee Season 4 Grease Danny Sandy

1. Anna says:

God, I wish they’d done Grease with the original cast. This just makes me sad for what could have been.

2. Jen says:

Is this the casting I wanted? Nah. Jake and Kitty blew both of them out of the water in hand jive, especially Marley.

3. mel says:

Blake’s cute but he doesn’t have that certain quality it takes to pull off Danny Zuko.

4. Di says:

I am kinda sad that they are doing the movie version, NOT the musical. :(

• Jaime says:

Oh my gosh me too! When they were doing the hand jive I was like “Why would Sandy need to know the hand jive? She doesn’t even go to the hop!” But then I remembered in the movie she does. Sigh.

5. Irene says:

no one cares about these people

except for tina

• Kay says:

this. IA Tina should have been Sandy but instead they got out of nowhere a reason for her “not wanting” of all things, to be in the same room as Mike but in the end would have to be in the same room anyway if she had a part. I have how they are forcing these new people on us. I don’t care about them at all.

6. Jess says:

OMG I HATE this Marley character. So terrible. Her voice grates me and her acting is terrible (blinking wide eyes 24.7)… Ryder is already more enjoyable than all the other newbies so far and that’s saying a lot coming from me since I hate the rest of the Glee Project rejects (dread guy, Unique- OMG terrible)..

I agree. I wish Grease was done with the original cast. So sad it’s wasted on the talentless. Last nights episode was boring and flat. I think Glee has lost it once and for all. Cancel it already.

• I am not a fan of Marley either. I think she tries too hard and she’s boring. And the HAT – get rid of that stupid thing already. I realize that the other people had to move on after graduation, but I think they have a complete spin off with the older cast members. They already have a good start on it with Rachel and Kurt!

7. Holly says:

I dislike this Glee so much. It was a make it or break it season and it’s broke!! Last night had NO Santana, Kurt or Rachel??? Seriously?? The WHOLE episode was about the new cast, who frankly, I have not found a connection with. I’m not invested in Marley’s “struggles” or the new love triangles they are trying to make us care about. It’s like rewatching Season 1, but this time it is horrible because the cast sucks. And throwing Finn under the bus all the time, fantastic. It’s heartbreaking to see someone wish they were crushed by a bus.

• Lori says:

I agree, An entire episode about all these new kids who are bland and boring (or in Kitty’s case mean, but without anything to make me like her) was a bad idea. Why would they do that right after a hiatus when they want to keep fans.

• Sui says:

For me after a long hiatus Glee needed their big guns and big story to propel and entice viewers into the next hiatus. They failed with this episode using the new characters doing the best musical ever IMO. I won’t watch Unique as Rizzo or anything else nor listen to mean Kitty. Glee has always written Finn as the their escape goat to throw to the wolves. I can’t see how Finn could get or feel any lower about himself. I thought the episode was OK but only so. I don’t like Marley or Kitty at all. Jake can sing but is no bad ass or comes close to the character that Puck was. I like Ryder sort of he has a lot more going for him.

• Kay says:

I don’t know if to call this a bold move or a dumb one. To not have Rachel, Kurt or Santana (if even for the briefest of glimpses, like sometimes happen) and focusing on trying so hard to showcase the new kids who so far have not shown anything new other than being boring as none of the original characters ever were was impressive, if tiresome to watch.

• Lindsey says:

The point of glee is to show the kids that are ACTUALLY in WMHS. The only reason they follow Kurt and Rachel is because they know no one would watch the show without them. But the point of the show is to show them while they’re IN high school, it’s like degrassi. People graduate, and then they leave the show. No one is in high school forever.

• Courtney says:

Look the old cast had to leaveat some point!! Just get over yourself and give the new guys a try. They aren’t that bad.

• Clawwish says:

totally agree with this! The old cast had the ‘WOW’ factor, but the new cast is just dead boring. It’s like they’re trying to recreate the old cast with the new cast, but the new cast is just (no offense) rather pathetic. I only watch glee for the old cast now.
      I mean, why do everyone like Marley? She’s not pretty, her voice isn’t that special and she’s weak. She’s nowhere near Rachel. The only performance I actually enjoyed for the new cast was “everybody talks”.
      Not to mention I feel like punching Unique everytime I see him. I have nothing against people dressing up as another gender, but it’s the fact he thought he could compare to Blaine, Tina, Britt in ‘The New Rachel’ and he has a horrible and proud attitude.

8. Josie says:

Why couldn’t they have done this with the original cast. I would have loved to see Finn as Danny and Rachel as Sandy. Puck could have been Kenieke and Santana as Rizzo. Oh well.

9. Marina Sabino says:

ARGH!

10. j says:

Actually I love this casting because Santana is gonna be Rizzo!!!

11. Julie says:

I like Blake and the new mean girl but I agree not a fan of new female lead Marley. And I miss Santana and Britney was missing from this past episode, she is so funny and we only got a snippet with her. :(

12. Aud says:

Dear RIB. Marley and Ryder MUST go. Blake and Kitty can stay.

13. Jon says:

Bland and Blander

14. Mercedes says:

Can someone tell me if the next episode would be devoid of the annoying presence of Kurt & Rachel? If it is so, then, for sure, I will watch it.

15. Sara says:

I’m so lost. Why does everybody like Kitty? She’s a horrible person, and honestly I didn’t think her singing for Everybody Talks was that good. I wanted to skip the entire song – Jacob Artist was great, but she was irritating.

Santana & Quinn were always b*tchy to some extent but I find Kitty to be far far more unlikeable than Santana & Quinn combined. Like yay, lets keep calling a skinny girl fat to see if she can develop an eating disorder! Lets shove religion down everybody’s throats! Lets see her make fun of Marley’s family some more, that sounds just oh so fun to me!

Not.

And why does nobody like Marley? Yeah her story is a little played out, but I like her. 10x more than Kitty. She’s the only new character I can stomach (besides Brody of course)

• kavyn says:

Her voice sounded very radio, which wasn’t so bad. But I agree, I still need more time before I can like Kitty because so far she’s just a sour, petty girl. And I also agree, I personally like Marley and her backstory, and I’m hoping we see more of her mom. I thought her first episode was great.

• Sui says:

You’re not alone. I don’t like Kity at all. Mean to mean just like Sue. Malicious and condescending. Not funny in the least. I don’t like Marley either. As for Kitty’s singing voice, it was tinny and shrill. I liked Jake’s voice.

• Terri says:

I personally love Marley. I guess it’s the same as real life…nice people finish last. I love all the characters, including Kitty. I think she is fresh and I hope they keep her evil. I did not enjoy one bit of Quinn’s bounce from being evil, to nice, to evil, to nice, etc. I also feel that Jake the best male voice the Glee club has ever had, so I like the chemistry between him and Kitty as well as Marley. Just watch and see how things play out. Every character has some redeeming qualities and things that make them special.

• Ashlie says:

I agree with you! Yeah Marley is no where near as good as Rachel but she;s still a good singer, Kitty’s voice just irritates me so bad! I love Ryder and Jake though <3 And I've only heard Brody sing a few times but so far he's good too!

• Lori says:

A lot of us don’t like Marley because she’s boring. It’s not just Marley, that’s how I feel about a lot of the new cast.

16. Lori says:

I’m more excited for the part of the performance where the original cast takes over. The second verse of You’re The One That I Want where they start singing is so much better. The new kids are too bland compared to the originals.

17. Melissa is absolutely amazing!!! I see a lot of envy in the posts here!! Ok guys the old characters graduated!! Get over it!! New fresh faces are goooooooooooood for the show!!! and Marely is… what does Sue say? “absolutely stunning kind-faced blue-eyed girl”?? EXACTLY!! And she can sing and she can act (how can people say she can’t?? Envyyyyyy) and she can dance!! And she’s DAMN BEAUTIFUL!!!

• Boiler says:

Totally agree! I like the new cast. Are people just mad because the old are gone. Didn’t miss Rachel and Kurt at all last night although do like them. Give the newbies a break and a chance!!

• Kay says:

I did not miss Kurt and Rachel either. I think they are going to be in the next episode though. But in NYC – they will be in Ohio for the musical (audience members, and possibly in a song too). Hopefully next week’s episode will be better than this one was. We can only hope.

• Kay says:

It doesn’t have to do with envy. It has to do with how boring Marley and all the new characters are. They didn’t made the effort to create new characters, they copied or made the most boring mary sues they could. We didn’t even need MORE main characters of all things. Artie and Tina have been waiting for decent story lines since s1. Sugar and Sam could benefit of some screen time too, but no, we have these basic new group.

• Sui says:

Yes to everything you’ve said! They had characters who are quirky, different, exciting and very talented going to the back of the drawer. RIB have gone with new blood that are bland and IMO less talented than who have remained at McKinley. This is the prime example of the waste of talent Glee does. What they have done is reissue characters in new form but who are clones of their predesseors. Quinn/Kitty. Actually, Kitty is a combination of Santana, Quinn and Sue. Marley/Rachel. Unique/ Kurt. Jake/ Puck. Now Ryder/ Finn. I mean really, Ryder has trouble in school and a goofball? Exact clone to Finn. Jake is a half brother to Puck? He is supposed to be a delinquent? Unique as different trying to fit in? Unique doesn’t have the attitude or charisma as Kurt. Blaine should be the forefront now, but NO, he is in the background again. Sam and Brit are like fringe on a scarf, bearly noticable. If Glee intends to keep with the Ohio and NY premise as equal, then they need to balance each episode and storyline better. As of now, IMO, it is so far of kelter, so unbalanced to the point that the entire episode is edited weird, choppy with unfinished story telling at either place. I for one don’t have a connection or care to for the new ones. If McKinley is to stay and have a story worth tellng use Artie( talented sage and go to guy), Tina( whom is the leading lady with talent), Sam( whom is a leading man type guy), Baine( whom is the leader with wisdom and charisma), Sugar( whom is awesone as a single character/ quirky and out of this realm like a beatnik), Brit( whom is the quirky and funnybone of Glee). I definitely miss them being the head of the class. Marley is as exciting as lint. Kitty is so mean that I don’t watch her at all. At least Quinn had the beauty to back up her snark. Santana had the attitude to be exhilerationg and funny at times. Jake is bland doesn’t have the screen presence as Puck. Ryder new guy, haven’t made up my mind yet. But another love triangle? So much potential but so little reward as of now. NY Rachel and Kurt with their half baked stories, they can’t by themselves command the audience’s attention. Santana needs to there to keep them in line. Or, have a guest in Bette Midler as a meddling neighbor, who once was a Broadway star. Then Kate Hudson be the adversary for Rachel. But, Kurt needs to have his own story, not be a support beam for Rachel and her roomate only. The writers haven’t thought out the details thoroughly. To me, they’re winging it week by week. Glee is not that interesting. I was looking forward to the NY half of the show too. But NY is right now dull and lagging with Rachel wanting and feeling insecure and lonely needing a guy again, who a Brody? To me he is like cardboard. He’s not even like bubblewrap. At least Rachel could pop that. NY NEEDS Bette Midler so badly. Glee bring her on, please.

• Terri says:

I don’t understand why it has become a war between the old characters and new. They are all good (yes, some better than others) and it is ludicrous to think that you can’t have both and enjoy both. In the words of Charlie Brown I have to say, “Good Grief!”

18. Sandy says:

Hopefully the next episode has Kurt, Rachel, and Santana. The show was so boring without them. The newbies are just so bland.

19. Heather says:

I LOVE RYDER!!!

20. gary says:

Keep trying to push these people into the new Rachel,Finn,Puck and Quinn Ryan Murphy its never gonna happen

21. ash says:

They keep on trying to make Marley happen, but Jake and Kitty were head and shoulders above these two, tbh. They should have gotten the leads.

22. Tori says:

Kitty is way to evil and Ryder was in only one episode, cut him some slack people!

23. No acting skills says:

This new characters are a waste of screen time, I didn’t bother to watch the whole episode because of the amount of time that was wasted on them

24. Sib says:

I am actually more excited with the second verse of you’re the one that I want since it’s feature lea, Cory and Chris

25. kavyn says:

Can they please kill off Unique? (S)he’s very unlikable and unrelatable as a character, and Alex’s acting is not good enough to carry the character. The comedy doesn’t work either.

• kavyn says:

I like the other new characters though, including Ryder. I hope they can give Ali and Aylin an episode or two as well since I personally think they deserve it.

• Kay says:

Why would you want them to kill Unique? That is a pretty cruel thing to say. They could have him transfer back to his old school, but to kill him is pretty drastic, don’t you think?

26. David says:

It’s so sad…the show has fell off my radar since the original cast is all separated and there are just too many newbies and jumping around. I miss the show the way it was.

27. blah says:

I personally like the new cast a lot better than the older ones. We’re only five episodes into meeting the new cast and they’ve already hinted more character development than the first three seasons total. That’s the reason I loved Puck, he was the only one that was a three dimensional character. To be honest, it’s comments like the ones I’ve read on this story that have made me lose hope in much of the human race. People like the girl that’s supposed to be the new villain, but they can’t stand the girl that’s willing to love her mother openly despite what people are saying about her? That’s some pretty messed up priorities, people

28. Susanna Millson says:

I don’t miss Rachel or the other characters that ‘graduated’ so much. I mean I felt the episode had too much Finn. Personally, I don’t like the fact that Tina and Britney are left out all the time – give them some screen time and songs because they are good, and “seniors”. They should have more leading characters in the show and in the school musical – like they would in any real high school. Kitty is way too nasty and unlikeable. I did like the song she sang with Jake and thought it was the best done song in the episode. I agree that most of the new characters are not interesting or compelling – too much like the original characters without the characteristics that make them distinct or likeable. Snooze fest most of the time, I prefer to fast forward over the ineptly written dialog and watch the songs.

29. Ashley says:

I don’t like Blake Jenner he’s cute and all but something about him I just don’t like. The people who make Glee might think they have a creative resurgence but the viewer don’t agree. Nobody likes the new cast and it was a huge mistake to graduate them. I predict Glee won’t be around much longer maybe another season. The ratings have been at a all time low

30. Kay says:

May raitings speak.

31. Remo The Gleek says:

Relax, you people obsessing that the original cast should do Grease. They really will be, in a dream montage I think. So, chill. Btw, I love Marley & Ryder for Sandy & Danny respectively.

32. Karin says:

Urgh, these 2.0 characters needs to go away and never come back.

33. Carmen says:

Speaking as an older viewer,the focus of this episode on high school dramas without the strong storylines of earlier seasons just did not work at all. I thought addressing Blaine’s problem with his break-up could have brought more depth and wider appeal to the episode; I missed Kurt,Rachel and Santana’s reactions to their changed circumstances after last week’s rather sudden developments. Good singing and dancing were just not enough to fully hold my interest this time.

34. Terri says:

I think the casting of Marley as Sandy, and Ryder as Danny, was right on the money. Kitty, however, should have been Rizzo. Kitty, as the character, could never have pulled off the innocent, nice girl Sandy (even as early as episode one, I described Marley to someone as a “Sandy like” character, so that makes a lot of sense to me. Casting Unique as Rizzo with the very limited acting ability of Alex, I think will lose something in the whole Rizzo character intensity, but I guess we’ll have to wait and see next week.

35. Terri says:

I am amazed at some of the comments here. Some say they don’t like the new characters because they writers are just rewriting the ones from S1, others that they don’t like the new characters because the new characters are too bland. Some never want to see the graduates again, others don’t think it’s worth watching if Rachel and Kurt in not in the episode. The epidome of “you can’t please everyone.” I can’t see how these comments can be justified considering we have only seen the new characters for a total of mere minutes until episode 5. I think the mistake the writers made in season 1 was that they developed the story too fast, so then they were struggling to fill in story lines. I think they are taking a slower approach to develop these new characters to avoid that problem. After the intensity of episode 4, this last episode was right on the money. And the comments about Finn being thrown under the bus? He has the only realistic storyline here, the one that is most enjoyable because it feels real. Much more real than asking your girlfriend to marry you in high school, or getting in the most prestigious school after blowing your audition and inviting your professor to come hear you sing (like that would happen) or Kurt getting a job at Vogue. Be happy Finn has a real storyline this year that looks like it will be exciting. I don’t believe for one minute that he will want to be a teacher…it will be something related to Arts for sure, but not that. This is just a fun show to watch when you are bored…not some literary masterpiece. So let’s stop all this negativity and just sit back and watch. The only criticism I have of the show is that they put it as the same time as Grey’s Anatomy and now I have to DVR them both.

36. Ella says:

I much prefer these two as a couple than Jake and Marley. Jake just doesn’t have Puck’s likeability…only his flaws. I too wish they had tackled Grease with the original cast. And Sandy should be blonde dammit.

37. Chiara says:

So many people who only complain. Just stop watching the show if you don’t like it!

38. Amy says:

love the old cast and the new keep glee going people x

39. Linda says:

I THINK GLEE NEEDS TO PUT IN ALL THE FIRST GROUP OF “GLEE PROJECT” KIDS!!! & ACTUALLY GIVE THEM GOOD STORIES, SONGS & PARTS!! MORE INTERESTING THAN WHATS THERE NOW & JUST AS TALENTED, EVEN MORE SO!!! LET’S GO DAMIAN, HANNAH, CAMERON, LINDSAY, and REST!!!

40. Kimi says:

I think they should have done this before and I think Santana should have played rizzo than alex

41. Georgina says:

It could be much funnier if Ryder was a ‘gay character’. Someone who is not into fashion like Kurt (even if I adore him) or like Blaine. It could be nice to see an ordinary, little crazy boy who likes other boys.

42. Jessica says:

Marley kind of looks like Michelle Pfeiffer there

43. dre says:

I love how you guys are saying Marley is “bland” when Ryan Murphy said in a few episodes she’ll be dealing with Anorexia. Bland enough for ya?

44. Ashley says:

I think they can pull it off as sandy and Danny. And I love their personalities. They are quiet people but great kids and once you get to know them they are fun. Thats how i was in high school myself, i wouldn’t call it boring.Kitty is too much like Sue and bugs the crap out of me. But that’s just my opinion. And if you don’t like the new season because not all the original cast is in it, then DON’T WATCH THE SHOW. And don’t post rude things about it, all they are doing to bring new people with new stories and dreams, the show can’t always have the same characters over and over again, yeah I miss the old people but I am enjoying this new season with the new cast, each and one of them are very talented people, with unique voices, not all of them are the same, so stop comparing them. Some of them have a jazz feel to their voice or classical or rocker. Not everyone voices are going to be the same. But then again that’s just my opinion.. And I probably get some comments with what I said. But I’m just voicing out something that I felt like that needed to be said.

45. Sakura says:

I see of lot of complaints, but I actually like what’s going on with glee now, and i actually like Marly

46. I can’t wait! I’m sooo adicted to Grease…. And now, Glee Cast will FOR SURE do a great job with this classic! Go on, go on! Plus, I love Lea’s and Melissa’s voices. Can’t Wait!

47. Melissa Benoist is incredible as Marley. The character hasn’t really been developed yet, so I understand if you don’t LOVE her yet, but to say that she doesn’t have talent is just wrong. Her voice isn’t as showy as Lea Michelle’s but thats not a bad thing! Everyone got SO sick of hearing Lea sing by season two, thats why she stopped having solos in every episode. IT GETS OLD! All of you haters are just missing the old cast. THEY GRADUATED! THE SHOW HAS EVOLVED! Either embrace it or stop watching. And personally, I find it much more annoying when they try to focus on the old characters. ANd btw, THEY DO NOT LOOK LIKE KENIKE AND RIZZO. They are wearing the same costumes that every sandy and danny has worn for “You’re the One That I Want” since as long as the show has existed!

48. Cath says:

I don’t really care about Marley for now but I know her storyline will get really interesting(anorexia) so ppl stop staying she has no talent, she is not like Rachel at all but I see that the writers are ish replace Rachel place in our heart by Marley. For Marley i hope the writers will not messed up her anorexia storyline (like t to be 2 ep long) At first I really liked Kitty, I taugh she could be the cliche mean popular cheerleader and put some drama into the show and not fail like Quinn (she fell pregnant, trying to find bf,) Santana was doing the mean part but it was quick and funny and just Santana, but In the lasts episode Kitty just went to far and to Marley like it was bullying not even mean jokes, plus she was taking to much time trying to same something funny and mean NOBODY in the glee club likes her, so i dislike her. Jake was supposed to be a badass(ep.1) and then he turn more nice, a nice in the glee club, he is not a badass and will turn to be anoter finchel thingy with Marley. So for now I wait to see what the writers will do.I love Ryder !! Yes, he is similar to Finn but he is not scared to show that he likes performing and he is always goofing around he is Ryder I can’t compare him to a old character I look forward to see him with Marley. PS I disliked Unique since the first time we saw him/her, in my opinion it was “too much” putting Unique in glee and I don’t anythig against transvitite. He trys to much, I really tried to like him but I can’t. Wish I was a glee writer lol

49. GabrielaRod says:

BLAINE was the Perfect Danny Zuko! Too bad he is in deep depression. But really when Brittany was in trouble and she wanted to shave her head everyone was there for her, they should at least cheer Blaine a bit(Even when im convinced he deserves to suffer for what he did to Kurt) i want a little compassion, but just a bit.

50. Raya says:

Why does everyone keep hating on the new kids? Yes, I get it, you miss the old cast, but that would’ve been a lot worse if they just stayed there.

Marley’s great! She’s no Lea Michele, but I like her voice. It goes with a lot of songs. Unlike Rachel, who sounds really out of place when she sings pop songs. She may seem like a goody-two-shoes now, but her character will develop over time like the rest of the old cast.

Yes, Kitty may be super bitchy, but who else will replace Quinn AND Santana? I’m fine with the Grease casting. Do you really want Kitty singing You’re The One That I Want?

Regarding Rachel and Kurt’s absence, well, it was nice to have a break from all the post break-up drama. Besides, it’s more important to focus on the new characters than the old ones that already left. I love the new cast, but it’s been 3 years. I love it that they’re still there, but they should move aside and make room for the newbies.