Exclusive: Southland Elevates C. Thomas Howell to Series Regular in Season 5

Get More: Casting News, Exclusive

Southland C. Thomas Howell Season 5Officer Dudek’s workload will soon be as big as that chip on his shoulder.

Southland has promoted C. Thomas Howell, who plays abrasive cop Bill “Dewey” Dudek on the TNT drama, to a full-fledged series regular, TVLine has learned exclusively.

RELATED | Spoilers on Supernatural, Glee, Revenge, Happy Endings and More in Ask Ausiello!

His new status will take effect in Season 5, which premieres Feb. 13.

Comments (21)

• I think I write for everyone who watches “Southland” when I say, “Huh? Wasn’t he already a series regular?”

Comment by Robert Taylor – November 8, 2012 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yea, I thought he was a regular as well. Wasn’t he in almost every episode last season?

Comment by Mick – November 8, 2012 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now I remember why I should watch the show. After it changed channels I stopped.

Comment by Malia McGoldrick – November 8, 2012 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Lou Diamond Phillips is in Season 5.

Comment by Kyle – November 8, 2012 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the show immensely, but have mixed feelings about this. C. Thomas Howell is great, but the character of Dewey has always been obnoxious to me, even after he went to rehab.

Comment by Andrew – November 8, 2012 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with Andrew. Dewey is obnoxious and am somewhat disappointed when he shows up. Maybe they’ll tone him down a bit this coming season.

Comment by Kat – November 8, 2012 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I find myself skimming through his scenes and Southland is one of my favorite shows. I hope they change the character a bit.

Comment by Sam – November 8, 2012 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s impossible to pick a favorite scene from Southland, but one of my favorite Dewey scenes is the “Hung or Hanged” scene. “Google it Boot”. Haha. Find it on YouTube, its classic.

Comment by Sterling Hallbrook – November 8, 2012 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ive always liked C Thomas Howell. His character Dewey is scarcastic and annoying. Happy for him he’s been promoted, but would like to see a more rounded character and not so abrasive.

Comment by Cathy – November 8, 2012 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Most annoying character on the show. Do not like.

Comment by daviduter – November 8, 2012 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I couldn’t agree more!!!!! I fast fwd when he is on… an ass!
      Where is Chickie as I like her character bunches?

Comment by VC – November 8, 2012 05:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait for this show to return. I’ve been a fan since the beginning and while I wish the seasons were longer, I’ll take whatever TNT will give me! I love C. Thomas Howell, but I hate to say it…I think Dewey is better off as a recurring character. That being said, I trust that they have an awesome season planned and I look forward to it no matter what.

Comment by CJ – November 8, 2012 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m more curious to see who is going to replace Lucy Lui.

Comment by T – November 8, 2012 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am thrilled to be seeing more of Dewey on Southland. Such an amazing cast, but Dewey is my favorite. Yes, Dewey can be an abrasive, but he’s got a heart too. He amuses me.

Comment by Kelly Polark – November 8, 2012 06:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love the character because it makes it even more realistic cause we all run across these kind of people in life lol especially cops!!

Comment by tiffanie – November 30, 2012 06:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • picky picky.., obnoxious?? you want all the characters to be good, nicey nicey guys?

Comment by Kush Kuria – November 8, 2012 09:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dude, PonyBoy is getting OLD.

Comment by Curly Girly – November 9, 2012 05:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dewey is, next to Cooper the most seasoned cop on SouthLAnd. I look forward to Season Five, watching Dewey work his shifts. Going to be fun.

Comment by Tracy – November 9, 2012 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • its about darn time

Comment by William – November 9, 2012 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sure is abrasive. But if they weren’t in the show you’d have nothing to reference the others off of.

And who hasn’t had a Dewey in your class or workplace ? Does this not add another element of realism instead of typically plain vanilla cop shows we DON’T watch?

Lastly he does have a heart. Remember the messed up prostitute he tried to help?

Comment by Gdn – November 16, 2012 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As a police officer, my department has a Dewey type character. Yes, he is rude, obnoxious and abrasive, but its true to form what his character brings to the show.

Comment by Mike – April 5, 2013 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post