Exclusive

Exclusive: Southland Elevates C. Thomas Howell to Series Regular in Season 5

Southland C. Thomas Howell Season 5Officer Dudek’s workload will soon be as big as that chip on his shoulder.

Southland has promoted C. Thomas Howell, who plays abrasive cop Bill “Dewey” Dudek on the TNT drama, to a full-fledged series regular, TVLine has learned exclusively.

RELATED | Spoilers on Supernatural, Glee, Revenge, Happy Endings and More in Ask Ausiello!

His new status will take effect in Season 5, which premieres Feb. 13.

1. Robert Taylor says:

I think I write for everyone who watches “Southland” when I say, “Huh? Wasn’t he already a series regular?”

2. Now I remember why I should watch the show. After it changed channels I stopped.

3. Kyle says:

I hope Lou Diamond Phillips is in Season 5.

4. Andrew says:

I love the show immensely, but have mixed feelings about this. C. Thomas Howell is great, but the character of Dewey has always been obnoxious to me, even after he went to rehab.

5. Kat says:

I agree with Andrew. Dewey is obnoxious and am somewhat disappointed when he shows up. Maybe they’ll tone him down a bit this coming season.

• Sam says:

I agree. I find myself skimming through his scenes and Southland is one of my favorite shows. I hope they change the character a bit.

6. It’s impossible to pick a favorite scene from Southland, but one of my favorite Dewey scenes is the “Hung or Hanged” scene. “Google it Boot”. Haha. Find it on YouTube, its classic.

7. Cathy says:

Ive always liked C Thomas Howell. His character Dewey is scarcastic and annoying. Happy for him he’s been promoted, but would like to see a more rounded character and not so abrasive.

8. daviduter says:

Most annoying character on the show. Do not like.

9. CJ says:

Can’t wait for this show to return. I’ve been a fan since the beginning and while I wish the seasons were longer, I’ll take whatever TNT will give me! I love C. Thomas Howell, but I hate to say it…I think Dewey is better off as a recurring character. That being said, I trust that they have an awesome season planned and I look forward to it no matter what.

10. T says:

I’m more curious to see who is going to replace Lucy Lui.

11. Kelly Polark says:

I am thrilled to be seeing more of Dewey on Southland. Such an amazing cast, but Dewey is my favorite. Yes, Dewey can be an abrasive, but he’s got a heart too. He amuses me.

• tiffanie says:

I love the character because it makes it even more realistic cause we all run across these kind of people in life lol especially cops!!

12. Kush Kuria says:

picky picky.., obnoxious?? you want all the characters to be good, nicey nicey guys?

13. Curly Girly says:

Dude, PonyBoy is getting OLD.

14. Tracy says:

Dewey is, next to Cooper the most seasoned cop on SouthLAnd. I look forward to Season Five, watching Dewey work his shifts. Going to be fun.

15. William says:

its about darn time

16. Gdn says:

Sure is abrasive. But if they weren’t in the show you’d have nothing to reference the others off of.

And who hasn’t had a Dewey in your class or workplace ? Does this not add another element of realism instead of typically plain vanilla cop shows we DON’T watch?

Lastly he does have a heart. Remember the messed up prostitute he tried to help?

17. Mike says:

As a police officer, my department has a Dewey type character. Yes, he is rude, obnoxious and abrasive, but its true to form what his character brings to the show.