Ratings: The Voice Lifts Chicago Fire to Season High, Arrow Surges to Match High

Get More: News, Ratings

Chicago Fire Hits Ratings HighThanks to a special Wednesday night installment of The Voice, NBC’s Chicago Fire roared to series highs this week, rising 27 and 44 percent to deliver 7.1 million total viewers and a 2.3 rating.

Admittedly under special circumstances (and declining 8 percent in audience by the half hour), ChiFi now stands as this season’s only freshman drama to beat its premiere rating (1.9) with a subsequent episode.

As for The Voice itself (10.4 mil/3.7), it handily outrated rival The X Factor (7 mil/2.6), yet was down 18 percent from Monday’s Playoffs Part 1.

The night’s other big superlative goes to The CW’s Arrow, which surged 23 and 30 percent week-to-week to 3.7 million total viewers and a 1.3 rating — its largest audience since the series launch and tying its best demo delivery. In turn, Supernatural (2.3 mil/1.0) rose 28 and 25 percent. (Compared to last season’s Episode 6, which of course aired on a Friday, The CW notes that Supernatural is up 34 and 43 percent.)

In fact, every piece of programming this Wednesday was on the upside versus last week’s Hurricane Sandy-impacted numbers — save for The X Factor (down a tenth) and CSI (which dipped a tenth to tie a series low).

A few more notes, going hour by hour….

8 pm | Survivor (10.3 mil/2.7) was up 4 and 8 percent. ABC’s The Middle (9.1 mil/2.8) and The Neighbors (7 mil/2.1) both saw gains.

9 pm | Modern Family (12.3 mil/4.7) was Wednesday’s No. 1 program in viewers and in the demo, rising 16 and 12 percent week-to-week; Suburgatory (7.9 mil/2.9) surged 21 percent. Criminal Minds (12 mil/3.0) ticked up a tenth.

10 pm | CSI (10.3 mil/2.3) led in total audience and tied Chicago Fire for the demo win. ABC’s Nashville (6 mil/2.0) rose 5 and 11 percent.

Comments (56)

• I got back into it last night and am now catching up on Hulu! Great show I really didn’t try too hard to watch but will now!

Comment by Beth – November 8, 2012 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • To my surprise I am really liking Chicago Fire, it started so so but slowly each episode it’s getting better in my opinion. I think I’ll stick with this show if they decide to give it a go

Comment by GIL – November 8, 2012 08:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • agreed! it just keeps getting better.

Comment by Elyse – November 8, 2012 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree…each episode is better than the previous one…and given the promo for next week’s, it looks like next episode is gonna be even better!

Comment by Gaia – November 8, 2012 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Absolutely agree…with each Chicago Fire episode I’ve become more and more invested with the characters — and last night’s ep was intense! Love the show, and I’m happy it’s doing better in the ratings (even if it’s due to The Voice’s lead-in). Hopefully most of the new viewers will stick around next week…

Comment by Trent – November 8, 2012 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YEAH! Go Chicago Fire! My favorite newbie show by far :)
    Fingers crossed it can retain some of that The Voice boost audience..

Comment by ddutchie88 – November 8, 2012 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what is with your guys sudden hatred for reporting on AHS?! I understand the ratings come out later but you haven’t updated on us on the ratings (even later) for the past two weeks. and the recaps have completely disappeared :/ i’m disappointed

Comment by Lisa – November 8, 2012 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy for Arrow, the only new (drama) show that captured my attention this year. Everything else just didn’t cut it for me, very disappointing TV season.

Comment by jimbo – November 8, 2012 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chicago Fire is getting better & better. I really like the dynamic between Mills & Dawson, I don’t want her to just be pining after Casey, that’s so cliché.

Comment by Maggie – November 8, 2012 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree! Mills is such a sweet guy, and I could be happy with the two of them together. Chicago Fire is one of the only new shows that I am still watching this season.

Comment by Em – November 8, 2012 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I absolutely love Chicago Fire. It’s my favorite new show this season.

Comment by wrstlgirl – November 8, 2012 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah Arrow, Modern and a huge YEAH for Chicago Fire, it is a great show and I hope more people realize that so that it will be able to stay on the air for many years!

Comment by sarah – November 8, 2012 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Simon and Fox face reality and start making changes to X-factor after being trounced by The Voice. Watching XF right after Voice made the comparisons even more dire for XF.

Comment by Alienate – November 8, 2012 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • warms my heart to see Simon’s ego take a puch to the gut, hahaha

Comment by Terry – November 8, 2012 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Voice RULES! The talent on The Voice is crazy good this year. Cody Belew FTW

Comment by Sam – November 8, 2012 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Cody was amazing! He’s gotten better and more confident every time he sings. He’s sort of a country-style Adam Lambert, and I love it! Trevin and De’Borah were also terrific. Great Voice season this year…

Comment by Trent – November 8, 2012 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on TV Addict.

Comment by Aaron M Zaffuto – November 8, 2012 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad about “Supernatural” & “Suburgatory”. Both great shows. Too bad they’re on at the same time. I wish ABC would move “Suburgatory” back to its old time slot.

Comment by Carrie – November 8, 2012 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just can’t get into Nashville. Teddy’s political career and soon to be blackmail story are so boring. I love Connie Britton and Hayden but the writing for Juliette and Rayna is just awful causing me to not enjoy the characters at all. I’ve decided to removed it from my DVR :-(

Comment by wrstlgirl – November 8, 2012 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy to see Supernatural up for the 2nd week in a row. :)

Maybe the reason X factor isn’t doing as well as The Voice is because it sucks? I never saw I’d see the day when talent (The Voice) trumps flash (X factor) … I’m not a big an of either show and I didn’t watch either last night. However, I did watch the individual performances on YouTube and it was painfully obvious that X factor was outclassed in terms of talent. That’s not to say the contestants on the X factor aren’t talented, most of them are. But the way that talent is being handled by the production is just sad.

Comment by Max – November 8, 2012 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Weird. Mark Berman shows SPN as ticking down. Perhaps in the 18-49 it went down?

Comment by rowan77 – November 8, 2012 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad I have all the episodes of Chicago Fire on my DVR. Based on the comments here, I will really enjoy watching it in a few weeks when everything goes in to holiday repeat mode.

Comment by Sg.Grant – November 8, 2012 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s a good idea, wish I had thought of that, LOL :-)

Comment by wrstlgirl – November 8, 2012 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m staying with Nashville. A show like this takes a while to develop all the characters and find its footing. The music is great, and last night’s episode was the best yet. It’s definitely worth saving on the TIVO.

Comment by Amy – November 8, 2012 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree!! Its nice to have something different. How many CSI’s, NCIS’ can we have?? Hopefully people give it a chance. Looks like a big DVR show.

Comment by Boiler – November 8, 2012 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah for Arrow and Chicago Fire!

Comment by Renee – November 8, 2012 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So so happy for Supernatural. I hope it gets its numbers up, so we get another season. This season so far is great.

Comment by Mikaylah – November 8, 2012 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Barrowman comes in, ratings explode. You’re welcome, America.

Comment by Morgan – November 8, 2012 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • HAHAHA, He’s actually the main reason why I decided to watch in the first place. I don’t particularly care for Amell. Haven’t watched last night’s yet but was happy to see JB at the end of last week :-)

Comment by wrstlgirl – November 8, 2012 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hahahaha, I totally thought the same thing! I think Ben Browder will do something similar to the ratings when he comes on as well. Very smart of the producers of Arrow to bring on such fan favorite actors.

Comment by Sara – November 8, 2012 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow. I really thought Arrow would drop because of the canadian airing yesterday. Good, very good news.

Comment by lilys87 – November 8, 2012 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • People really overestimate the impact of On Line viewing. It has been proved over and over again that it has little effect on a shows ratings.

Comment by April – November 8, 2012 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think the early word of mouth about its awesomeness actually helped Arrow.

Comment by John – November 8, 2012 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When I watch network shows on the network websites the day after they aired on tv, am I counted in any ratings? If not, how can I sign up to be counted?

Comment by KCC – November 8, 2012 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, the Networks do collect information on how many people watch online but since they get no demographic information it is basically useless. In other words, it’s not going to help the show. Also, you can’t “sign up” to be counted. Nielson picks you not the other way around.

Comment by Jeremy – November 8, 2012 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • What Jeremy said is true but I would also add that ratings are really for advertisers. They want to know if you are watching their commercials. Since on line viewing doesn’t have commercials (or at least not the same ammount) then the advertisers don’t care. Therefor you don’t count.

Comment by Beth – November 8, 2012 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Supernatural deserved the views I mean the show just keeps getting better and better after 8 years! Hope that they some day reach 3 mil per episode that would make me glad haha! :)

Comment by Kresh – November 8, 2012 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hooray for Arrow, Supernatural and Suburgatory!!!!
    Arrow had its best episode to date and Supernatural was fantastic! The Winchesters throwing punches is what I’ve been waiting to see all season! Pure awesomeness!
    Now we know that Revolution’s success isn’t a fluke. Chicago Fire’s numbers will drop hard soon enough.

Comment by John – November 8, 2012 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Chicago Fire’s numbers will drop hard soon enough” And you basing this on what?

Comment by wrstlgirl – November 8, 2012 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No, I’m not. I’m just being realistic. Even I watch the show sometimes, but am not invested in the characters.

Comment by John – November 8, 2012 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh basing*. I thought bashing! Well, I’m basing this on the quality of the episodes and history – it’ll always drop after a high rated first episode (in this case, first episode for many of the Voice fans). It’ll hover around 1.7-2.0 the rest of the season if it gains some loyal viewers imo.

Comment by John – November 8, 2012 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Oh I see. I can see it going down some but I don’t see it crashing and burning. Seems to be quite a lot of people enjoying the show, myself included, most more than the highly anticipated Nashville.

Comment by wrstlgirl – November 8, 2012 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Like Arrow a lot, usually watch CSI and Nashville on VOD on the weekend, but hearing so many good things about Chicago Fire, I’ll catch up on VOD this weekend

Comment by intelliwoman – November 8, 2012 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love that Arrow gets better ratings than Vampire Diaries. I know Thursdays are tougher, and I do like TVD, but I’m getting really annoyed with the emphasis on that love triangle. TVD could use more action and story like Arrow and less about a girl who can’t make up her mind about who she wants to be with.

Comment by Mikael – November 8, 2012 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Cannot disagree. In addition, there was the awesome promo of intense Oliver/Laurel going down. Helped for sure. I’m very pleased this show is doing well. Wish Beauty and the Beast would step up!

Comment by Naazneen – November 8, 2012 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. I hope Beauty and the Beast steps up as well. The show is SO much better than the pilot and the procedural just gets less and less which is a good thing. It definitely needs the ratings.

Comment by Amber – November 8, 2012 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have to say that I am very pleased with the writing and acting in Arrow, it has quickly become my favorite series and has replaced TVD for me. I got so tired of the overly mushy story lines on “TVD” and I can hardly buy Elena as a vampire…kinda pathetic. I have to say that I have never been a big fan of Nina Dobrev, she’s not that great of an actress IMO.

Comment by Jake – November 8, 2012 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I couldn’t agree more with your assessment of TVD and Nina Dobrev. I’ve never really understood why everyone is so gaga over her. I find myself laughing at her scenes most of the time they’re so bad.

Comment by wrstlgirl – November 8, 2012 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Survivor’s ratings deserve to go up! This season is the best in a long time. Players who have actually watched the show, know how to strategize, yet still do the dumbest things possible (I’m looking at you Pete). Lisa Welchel is awesome despite her Facts of Life pedigree. And former baseball player Jeff Kent? Good riddance!

Comment by dan – November 8, 2012 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Arrow continues to impress as do Stephen Amell and Katie Cassidy. The action sequences are bad ass and the storyline is tight. I can’t wait for Wednesdays to come each week.

Comment by Jared – November 8, 2012 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Arrow, yay!!!!!!!

Comment by AlbTrex – November 8, 2012 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why have’nt you put Novembers calendar up yet.

Comment by Aidan Williams – November 8, 2012 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why did you say that Supernatural aired on Friday? I watched it last Wednesday. I’m confused.

Comment by Melody Paris – November 8, 2012 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was compared to last season when it aired on Fridays.

Comment by tp – November 8, 2012 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There are TWO reasons Supernatural’s ratings have gone up this season – Wednesday and Jeremy Carver.

Comment by Ella – November 8, 2012 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post