Fringe Exclusive: Joshua Jackson Talks Tech Twist, Warns 'Peter Is Rapidly Slipping Away'

Get More: Exclusive, Interviews, Video

Fringe‘s Peter Bishop has put himself on the train to “Observerville,” as Joshua Jackson puts it, by installing one of the chrome domes’ piece of tech into his own head — and in doing so has basically betrayed his loved ones.

“He’s not in a good place,” Jackson shares in the exclusive video below. “He’s doing exactly the thing he promised both Walter and Olivia that he wasn’t going to do, to abandon them and be hell-bent on avenging the death of his daughter.”

RELATED | Fringe‘s Series Finale Date Is Revealed!

What’s more, his timing could not have been worse. After a period of estrangement, “Olivia finally decided to reach out,” Anna Torv notes. But with Peter now a bit of a hybrid, “That little journey is going to be a tough one.” As Jackson previews, “You realize that Peter, as we know him, is very rapidly slipping away.”

John Noble says the tragic twist paves the way for Jackson to finally do what all of his castmates have done in seasons past — basically inhabit a second character — and hails his TV son’s performance.

RELATED | Fringe Star ‘Didn’t Want to Die,’ But Praises the Final Season’s ‘Brave’ Twist

Press PLAY below, then tell us: What do you think of Fringe‘s latest final-season wrinkle?

Comments (61)

• Awesommmmmmmmmmme…

Comment by Really – November 8, 2012 06:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know it basically means “screw paradox,” but is it possible Peter is “Patient X,” a.k.a. the original Observer?

Comment by bamabunny – November 8, 2012 06:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Awesome theory!!

Comment by Giada – November 8, 2012 07:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Intersting theory! I’m thinking always that Peter is patient 0 of Walter and Belly’s Experiment

Comment by Silvia Azzaroli (@SilviaAzzaroli) – November 8, 2012 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • pretty sure the original observer is the little boy that looks like the observers from the first season i think.

Comment by ohlala – November 8, 2012 08:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s not the first observer, it’s September as a child. I told the gf that Peter was the beginning of the observers when he went into Septembers mind and saw the universe. Still holding out that I’m right. :)

Comment by JK – November 8, 2012 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Hey, what makes you think that he is September as a child?

Comment by Alexis – November 8, 2012 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I saw a photo in which there was Nina (in wheelchair) and Olivia with her hand in the shoulder of someone that I believe was a child… I said “believe” because I just saw his back, but unless Peter or Walter have shrunk…It could be related to what you are talking about. (sorry my english!)

Comment by flor – November 8, 2012 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • that’s exactly what I thought!!

Comment by Rachel – November 8, 2012 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excellent article. Excellent video.
    Even more Brown Betty foreshadowing revealed!
    Thanks, Matt :)

Comment by fringeobsessed – November 8, 2012 07:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • what’s the Brown Betty forshadowing?

Comment by Sandy – November 8, 2012 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • In Brown Betty, Peter had a mechanical heart that nearly killed him. Olivia was there for him and pulled him through it. I guess the foreshadowing is that Peter has some sort of mechanical thing in him that could kill him or make him lost to the bad side and it will probably be Walter and specifically Olivia that will resurrect the old him.

Comment by Joanna – November 8, 2012 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Ah yes that’s what I thought you were referring to. I like

Comment by Sandy – November 9, 2012 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Actually Peter *needed* the mechanical heart in order to survive, so it doesn’t really match.

Comment by Tyk – November 9, 2012 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Are they in make-up b/c they are both sporting some cuts…wonder what they’ve been filming…

Comment by Lindsey Lyons (@lindseylyons) – November 8, 2012 07:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show is so good I can’t stand it!

Comment by The Kaibosh – November 8, 2012 07:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aww god! i hope he’s not the first Observer, it would be great for the story, but i would feel quite sad for Peter and the rest of the (good) characters.
    I think this season Josh is going to kill it big time. He’s a great actor, though he hasn’t been able to shine among the others because of his “normal” roll. He was awesome the other day.

Comment by Lovin' it – November 8, 2012 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Was iffy on the last season until this recent twist. I’m now excited to see what Peter will do with the Observer tech in his head.

Comment by 1234 – November 8, 2012 07:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • where on god’s green earth is nina sharp? this is some BS! i miss her so deeply it’s ridiculous. i loved her as olivia’s “mom” last season!!

Comment by ohlala – November 8, 2012 08:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t forget the tortured Observer’s words to Peter. I’m betting that what he meant was the fact that Peter’s the first Observer and he doesn’t even know it. He lost hope, his emotions give him pain, so he’s going to get rid of them & become more machine like. A soldier, deadliest to the bone… I’m also betting that he will kill Olivia. The director once said that Olivia might die again, and I’m guessing that this time around, Walter’s not the guilty one. I’m honestly not trusting on a happy ending, they promised us a Fringe-ending and we all know how those are…

Comment by anakl – November 8, 2012 08:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re right, hmmm.

Comment by Watty – November 9, 2012 03:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “He will kill Olivia.” (?!) Not a chance. Besides being sci-fi, this is a show about family; everyone involved always says that in interviews. Walter’s admission to Peter about how he senses that he is becoming his old, bad self again looks to me like that message won’t be lost on Peter and Peter will somehow be reeled back in from the brink from becoming an observer…or if he does, paradoxically, he might set things right anyway…and my other theory, hopeful as it seems, goes even further: that if indeed these characters come to some bad end this season, they will do so only to reboot themselves in a different time line or reality- I’m betting they go right back to the “original sin” when Peter was taken from Walternate, or thereabouts. (When-abouts?)

I say this hopefully because I want to see Peter and Olivia and Etta and everyone in a non-dystopic observer-ruled future…I believe the Observers coming to rule earth in 2016 was an error, another alternate future that should not have happened.

Also, as a rule, “TV” loves happy endings, or bittersweet endings, but never likes hopelessly bleak endings..

I have never liked the fact that this timeline does not include Olivia’s sister or niece. In fact, Olivia as a character has been diminished season after season- outshone by the flashier redhead Faux-livia (who, incidentally, also lost her child by Peter before that timeline/reality got junked by Peter’s disappearance!), having her original family taken away, all she does she does for Peter and Walter, and then to lose her daughter in this future? Somewhere, a science fiction-loving feminist is writing a PhD dissertation on this, I am sure!

No. I may be wrong and a sentimentalist, but I’m betting this all goes back to “square one” and this time the characters (or their iterations, more succinctly) get a fresh start down a much rosier path.

PS: I do love this show!

Comment by B9000 – November 10, 2012 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • B9000, I agree with you, this should come to a reboot, a fresh start, but I truly believe, since I read one of many producer’s interviews, that Olivia could die again this season, this doesn’t mean however, that somehow she couldn’t be alive at the ending. September also said that in every version of the future Olivia must die. She died at least what? 2 times? In both times, it was Walter who killed her (first Walternative & then Walter) and she came back (reboot by Peter in the machine & cortexiphan effects).

The producers said we would also know why there isn’t any women Observers, and that made think that maybe it meant that in some version of the future, Peter chose to be bad & eventually in killing the woman he loves, that brings up all the pain, all the good memories & a reboot.

We still don’t know Walter and September’s plan. I loved this show since day 1 and there was nothing that I wanted more, along with the great & perfect sci-fi episodes, that Peter and Olivia together as happy couple. They’ve always loved each other, they were destined to each other & I still hope they end up happy with each other as a family with Etta. So please don’t get me wrong when I say that maybe Peter will kill Olivia.

Have you ever wondered who Windmark really is? And why he’s always several steps ahead of his on team of Observers & why is he so thrilled that Walter’s following the plan? There’s more to him that it meets the eye… maybe a connection to Walter or Peter?

I’m so sad that Fringe is almost ending, they have an excellent cast & a good story to pursue, I wish we fans had more time an a happy ending, but let’s keep in mind that we’re still expecting another death on the team whether it is Olivia or Walter’s, I don’t know but if we’re having a Fringe happy-ending, that means that we’re not going to be fully satisfied by it.

Comment by anakl – November 11, 2012 03:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • What about the doomsday machine and some of the remaining Cortexifian subjects Tessa E., Rich N., Annie P., Susan L., Lisa B. & Ken T.. I think there is much more to come. First of all why there is two universes. Or are there only two universes? Was only one at the beginning? From where/when the doomsday machine came from, and where is it now?

Comment by va – November 16, 2012 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love this show and the direction that they are taking Peter in.

Comment by GeoDiva – November 8, 2012 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This all portends for a dramatic ending, with – dare I say it? – no closure for us as viewers. I absolutely love this show, have been riveted since day one, and I’m in mourning that it will be over with soon. Brilliant writing and acting… each week is just so fabulous!

Comment by Liana in San Diego – November 8, 2012 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • no closure = a movie? would love that!

Comment by Dark Defender – November 8, 2012 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the twist, its so interesting. But of course my first priority is a happy ending for Peter & Olivia. So i hope either he does everything he has to, to succeed at Walters plan and the timeline fixes (bad observers never show up) so they are back together with Etta. OR, after a few episodes Walter and Olivia find out about what Peter did, that they are losing him, and forceably operate on him, removing the Tech.

Comment by M3rc Nate – November 8, 2012 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • did anyone noticed the wedding ring in peter`s finger?

Comment by kholood – November 8, 2012 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes. Peter’s not wearing it at the moment, he has had it around his neck. So, maybe that’s a good sign that he pulls through, further down the track.

Comment by Joanna – November 8, 2012 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OK, I don’t want to mistaken for the crazy Josh fan who posts all the time, because I am not her… but I have never understood why the writers/producers of this show were inclined to put him and his character in the background all the time. The sad truth is that the male 18-49 audiences just don’t like to watch genre shows that feature female characters front and center. No slam on the talented Anna Torv; it’s just that she’s female and no matter how sexy they are – young male viewers want to see characters like themselves. Ask yourself why Dollhouse, Sarah Connor Chronicles, and ultimately Alias went out with a whimper.

Not that I necessarily think Joshua Jackson is the greatest potential action hero ever, but it’s sad that we had to wait until season 5 to see him kick some ass. He kicks ass very well. Maybe the ratings would have been a little higher if Fringe had highlighted **the only well known TV name in the cast** a little better.

Love the show, love Anna Torv, love Joshua Jackson, can’t really complain… just wondering what might have been.

Comment by Marta – November 8, 2012 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just because something is a certain way doesnt mean you should stick to it or not fight it. Movies with Black leads (that isnt a Madea movie) dont get ticket sales, hence why it was so hard for Lucas to find people to back “Red Tails”, in the end him doing it himself. And i watched it and loved it and didnt care that everyone on screen was black.
      Second i would say the Fringe story has always been mixed. The events and the worlds are revolve around Peter, hes the cause, hes the effect, hes everything. But the show is somewhat from the point of view of Olivia. But so very lightly from her point of view that i would call this a ensemble cast the majority of the time. I think what you said about the other Female leads shows is fact, but that it doesnt really apply here. When people think “Fringe” they dont think “Olivia” or “Anna Torv lead star”. If they dont think “ensemble cast” then they think “Peter and Olivia”.
      This show has way bigger reasons why it isnt watched by enough people. Its smart deep sci-fi, its on a main network, (I bet if this had been a SyFy or USA show, it would be more successful), also its audience are more apt to watch the show online/torrent/DVR it which we all know isnt the same as live viewership. Also this show as “procedural” they tried to make it, really is about the season/series long plots and mysteries…that if i introduced someone to the show by having them watch a season 2-now re-run..i bet their head would be spinning. To get this show you really need to have at least watched the pilot.
      IMO the best way to get more fans to your shows like this, is to put up all the seasons that have been on TV, online somewhere people watch. Like HULU and Netflix. Im a huge TV nerd but even i cant catch every show, and when they pop up on Netflix Instant, i watch it all, get fully caught up, and bam they have 1 new viewer for the live shows. I cant specifically think right now of any shows iv done that with, but for example i have a female friend who is newly becoming nerdy, and i introduced her to Alphas S1 on Netflix, she LOVED it, i gave her S2 torrent eps to watch, and once done, when S3 roles around, she will be live viewing them, a new fan/viewer for Alphas.

Comment by M3rc Nate – November 8, 2012 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thought of some, though some not nerdy. Revenge S1 i watched on Netflix and now DVR live. I believe Parks&Rec i watched S1 on Netflix then started live. Doctor Who is all because of the seasons being on Netflix and i now watch Live. Hell On Wheels i watched on Netflix S1 then started live. Those are just a few examples.

Comment by M3rc Nate – November 8, 2012 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Amazon Prime has all seasons for streaming

Comment by Irish13 – November 8, 2012 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You and Marta both have valid points, I love Anna and Josh and at times would have loved to see Peter a little more in the forefront. However that would have been hard to do because all previous seasons shows foundation was the FBI, hence Olivia.That being said I believed the show is mostly balanced,there are times when each character takes the lead according to the circumstances, so I would say calling it an “ensemble” is not wrong.

Now that the FBI no longer exist in this 5th season,then Josh(Peter) can really shine as the lead character which is what he is doing so far. Whenever I think “Fringe” I think Peter and Olivia, I believe it is their deep love for each other,their emotions that drive this show,every thing always comes back to Peter and Olivia. After all that have been invested in these two characters i just cannot see the writers not having it end well for both of them been happy together at the end.

Comment by Ken – November 13, 2012 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @ Marta
      I don’t really see your point. Most really good genre shows have a life span to them, and that’s around 4 to 7 seasons. I’m sure that there were plenty of reasons why Dollhouse and SCC didn’t take hold but to blame it on 18-49 year old males not wanting to watch women in the lead is ridiculous in my opinion. Your own example of Alias proves it. That show lasted 5 seasons and had a full run to it. Why it didn’t stay strong at the end has more to do with the writing than who the lead was. 5 seasons, over 100 episodes and a chance to end it with a legitimate series finale is about all you can hope for with genre. What about Buffy? 7 seasons and a chance to end on their own terms, which by the way is two more seasons than Angel lasted with a male lead, and even people associated with Angel felt that the end was a little rushed. Xena had six seasons and a solid ending. Also, the show we’re talking about now, Fringe, gets 100 episodes, including a fifth season which was pretty much given because of fan loyalty. We have a chance to see Fringe end on a high and definitive note because fans care and wanted it. If people were apathetic then a fifth season wouldn’t have come.

I can personally say that you aren’t right because I am one of those males between 18-49 and I love watching genre shows with female leads. Maybe you should ask yourself why networks would green-light genre shows starring women if they didn’t think people would be interested in them?

Terra Nova got cancelled after ONE 13 episode season and starred a male. Firefly, as great as it was and still is, got cancelled after One 13 episode season and starred a male.

Chuck, which starred a male, had to fight tooth and nail for about 3 seasons to not get cancelled.

The bottom line is there are plenty of examples where genre shows starring women have succeeded, and genre shows starring men have failed. Also, there are plenty of genre shows starring women that have failed and ones starring men have succeeded. So what does it all prove? I don’t know! I think that genre shows over the years have hit or miss for a variety of reasons: writing, concept, theme, time slot competition, network etc… And I’m sure that some men want to see exactly what you suggest they want, or don’t want. I’m sure that there is a lot of women who would rather watch a genre show starring a man and not a woman. But I’m also certain, that there are a lot of men out there that want to see genre shows starring women, or at least have a strong woman as a co-lead, and I would be among those who do.

Comment by Wesley – November 8, 2012 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The X:WP ending was not solid. There few endings to a series more hated than that finale.

Comment by Albion – November 9, 2012 01:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • joshua jackson fans are limited sexist, racist,this must be the same person who said:”actor gay playing a gay character isn’t acting ” referring to Chris Colfer

Comment by fa – November 9, 2012 12:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This is the stupidest comment ever.

Comment by Sam – November 9, 2012 06:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • For the record, I am female, and it is not sexist to point out that genre shows with female
        leads *typically* do not get “seven seasons and a movie.” (And I have no idea where racism comes into my comment, but you are free to read in whatever weird things you want.)

Comment by Marta – November 9, 2012 06:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Marta- I’m a bi-racial man so I can be totally objective, I read your comment and I have no idea where that person (fa) saw racism in it. It boggles the mind what comes out of peoples mouth at times just to make a point, an invalid point at that.

Comment by Ken – November 13, 2012 08:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ooooooops, rreeeeaaalllly shouldn’t have watched/read this yet! D’oh!

Comment by Julien K-Boogie – November 8, 2012 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Refreshing to hear you say that. These days it’s all “WTF why did you guys post this I haven’t watched it yet I should be able to read your site without you guys spoiling everything and ruining my life it’s all your fault I hate you forever and ever!” (etc.)

Comment by Emily – November 8, 2012 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I have no sympathy whatsoever for those people. If they are too lazy to watch Fringe when it’s on, or before the weekend is over, TOO BAD. The world isn’t going to come to a stop just because they never got around to watching the episode in a timely manner.

And for international viewers, also too bad, because they should know very well that the American entertainment media isn’t going to grind to a halt until every last person in Narnia gets to see the episode, which could be years from now. Don’t read these websites. They should read their own country’s entertainment websites.

Comment by cat – November 8, 2012 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Sorry to jump in here, folks, but what’s the issue? Are we at a point where interviews with actors talking about what’s to come need mega-vague headlines and 10 spoiler warnings in a rainbow of colors?

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – November 8, 2012 05:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Don’t worry, Matt! They’re sticking up for you this time.
            It’s just refreshing to have somebody (Juilien) admit it’s their fault it was spoiled for them by readng the article instead of blaming the article for spoilers!

Comment by liddad – November 8, 2012 06:45 PM PDT
  • It’s tech… Olivia can turn it off if she really wanted too…

Comment by sanford – November 8, 2012 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Her abilities are gone, and if she could do that to him, dont you think she would have tried that on regular Observers when they were after her, peter and etta?

Comment by M3rc Nate – November 8, 2012 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think they didn’t know the Observers’s skills owed to that tech on their necks… They found out about it in the last episode…. (sorry my english)

Comment by flor – November 8, 2012 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pure Awesomeness as always. this show is so ahead of everything else on tv its sci-fi yet so utterly human. i totally agree with M3rc Nate I too am a tv nerd but just don’t have the time to watch everything live especailly on friday’s so i end up watching it online. it is a belabored point but everytime i see stuff on fringe i think of the travesty that it isn’t allowed to run its course, i never pictured it going on for a decade even if i wanted it to because the story would suffer but i did expect what Abrams expected which was like 7 seasons. i cherish the fact we’re getting this last season but its bitter sweet because i can’t help think of what could of been. knowing the writers of this show i suspect peter will go down the rabbit hole and hurt a lot of people he cares about in the process but at the very end we’ll see a glimmer if not vague spec of hope. I really Hope JJ and crew take this to a feature film franchise cuz it would be sweet and id pay whatever they asked to see Walter and the Gang on an Imax screen.

Comment by James – November 8, 2012 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Be a better man than your father”
    That’s what it’ll come down to.
    Peter and Olivia have to have a happy ending. I think Wyman is no the type of writer to end them not together

Comment by Sandy – November 8, 2012 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Joel W said that all three characters show’s arcs would be addressed and finalised in this last season. So, I’m guessing “Be a better man than your father”, is that going to happen for Peter, will be the conclusion to Peter’s series arc. I’m really looking forward to seeing how the writers are going to finish this for Peter and if he will in fact make any impact on the observers at all, with the observer tec now at his disposal.

Comment by Joanna – November 8, 2012 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Prediction:
    After defeating the observers in our time, Peter gets sent forward in time and gives the observers the technology by accident. He gets the opportunity to save Etta by stopping the observers from going back, but it would cause a butterfly effect (since the observers have been there at every important point in time). After a large amount of consideration, he then realises about the “Be a better man than your father” and decides not to.

Comment by liddad – November 8, 2012 06:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe season one, episode one, 11/20 @ 6pm, MST, science channel!

Comment by Azul – November 8, 2012 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I do NOT want Peter to become an Observer – I hope Olivia can save him! Also hope they are able to somehow bring Etta back! Love this storyline!

Comment by AngelMoon Girl – November 8, 2012 08:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I believe Peter will be the one to save the world and because of her love for him, Olivia will be drawn out of her mourning after funk and save Peter from self destruction.

Comment by Icon – November 8, 2012 09:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • after considering all possible conclusions i must say that its obvious we are not gettin a totally happy ending. i almost cried watchin olivia reachin out to Peter too late, but i kno sumthin big is about to happen now. either peter wl destroy th pple he loves but save the world, or hes gonna die trying

Comment by Emilia Mandaza – November 9, 2012 02:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m still wondering who that weird t-shirt guy from the cartoon eps was, who Olive said is probably the one who’s going to kill her…

Comment by AggeSWE – November 9, 2012 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was already answered. It was just a manifestation of William Bell.

Comment by Tyk – November 9, 2012 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • my guess since that episode was aired, is that X is a future Peter… the cartoon characters even look a like… he must be patient X and the first observer & since X was going to kill Olivia & the producers warned us that Olivia could die again, I say that Peter kills Olivia in S5. By the end of the episode she said that she wasn’t afraid of X and dying anymore. She knows, she must know. Even September was always concerned with Olivia’s future and her most needed death. When she died and came back to life, pregnant with Etta, by her reaction before telling Peter about the baby (even the producers confirmed that there was a pause/doubt), maybe she went inside September’s head (as Peter did before) and was debriefed about the future or some parts of it…

what do you think?

Comment by anakl – November 9, 2012 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Up till yesterday i thought he was still in play. But “Tyk” is right. The showrunner answered after S4 was done, that the emblem (X) on this shirt signified the W. Bell signature on the things (nanites?) in Olivia’s blood that caused her to become over charged and why she was destroying the 2 universes, hence why she had to be killed like she was in S4 finale. So technically it was all correct, the X shirt guy was a manifestation of W. Bell kiling her.

Comment by M3rc Nate – November 16, 2012 01:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post