Once Upon a Time's Eion Bailey Joins TNT Pilot

Get More: Casting News

Eion BaileyNo lie — Once Upon a Time‘s Pinocchio has found a new gig.

Eion Bailey, who plays the fairytale character/August on the ABC series, has landed the male lead in TNT’s drama pilot Trooper, our sister site Deadline reports.

RELATED | Brendan Fraser Exits TNT Drama Pilot Legends

The project, from producer Jerry Bruckheimer (CSI), stars Mira Sorvino as a recently divorced state trooper who is as unconventional at work as she is at home raising her three kids. Bailey will play her partner on the job, a widowed dad with a much more by-the-book approach to policing. (The role was originally played by Jay Hernandez when the pilot was in development at CBS last spring. The Eye network passed on the Warner Bros.-produced pilot, but TNT ordered a new incarnation in September.)

In addition to his recurring Once gig — he appeared as August in flashbacks in last Sunday’s episode — Bailey’s credits include Covert Affairs, ER and Band of Brothers.

Comments (40)

• Well, I hope he can keep his recurring role on OUAT.

Comment by Anonymous – November 8, 2012 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So do I :)

Comment by Anonymous – November 8, 2012 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Or be bumped up as regular again. I LOVE AUGUST!

Comment by Redge – November 9, 2012 02:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe this is why he was downgraded from series regular?

Comment by Nerwen Aldarion – November 8, 2012 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think you have your causation backwards. Rather, he was free to get the role because he was downgraded.

Comment by ben – November 8, 2012 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Maybe, unless he made it clear that he wanted to be free to pursue other roles.

Comment by Nerwen Aldarion – November 8, 2012 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That means he is leaving OUAT for good? Or he will only show up less on the show?

Comment by berialima – November 8, 2012 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh god I hope not. I want him to stick around forever. Plus it’s just a pilot so there’s a chance it won’t get picked up. Since TNT shows are usually summer maybe he has time to do both. Chris Meloni did it when he was a lead character on 2 shows (SVU and Oz) for 5 years and never had a problem.

Comment by Redge – November 9, 2012 02:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wasn’t really feeling his character on OUAT, but I liked him a lot on Covert Affairs. I’m glad he’s got a role as a male lead. Hopefully this series works out for him. I’ll definitely have to check out the pilot!

Comment by Aims – November 8, 2012 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • haha, I was the opposite. Hated Ben on Covert Affairs, but I LOVE August! I really hope this doesn’t keep him from OUAT.

Comment by Rachel – November 8, 2012 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Same. I’m happy to never see him again on CA, but really liked him on OUAT. Happy for him getting a lead role, but I do hope he’ll still pop up every now and then as August.

Comment by Kristina – November 9, 2012 08:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Speaking of Covert Affairs/OUAT: I’m hoping now that he’s off of CA, Sendhil Ramamurthy can show up in OUAT as Aladdin.

Comment by Templar – November 9, 2012 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOOO!!! I love him as August/Pinocchio

Comment by tp – November 8, 2012 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Credits also include “Buffy The Vampire Slayer”!

Comment by Dwight Supremacy – November 8, 2012 06:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And “Dawson’s Creek” (2eps)… And “CSINY”, “Numbers”, “Criminal Intent” (1ep each). Filmwise, he was in “Fight Club”. I had watched Eion in tv/film long before he played August, but it was OUAT that really introduced me to him… and I’ve been a fangirl ever since.

Comment by Platy D (@platys5startome) – November 9, 2012 04:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Uh oh, this puts him in the unruly spot of maybe being the casualty this season( if there is one)

Comment by Mike – November 8, 2012 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Unruly?

Comment by Tess – November 9, 2012 08:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Darn autocorrect, unlucky**

Comment by Mike – November 9, 2012 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is really upsetting. I’m going to miss him on Once Upon a Time and I was really rooting for August/Emma.

Comment by Ruby (@oncenewgleek) – November 8, 2012 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too but let’s hope they don’t kill him off and still keep him around.

Comment by Redge – November 9, 2012 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • widowed father? loved his scenes with henry. CA—purposely undeveloped character.
    august—-love him to bits. but both shows turned his character into some kinda creep so the audience would sympathize with the lead actress. sad because both shows would have benefited, especially as august….he was wonderful. CA got so boring–stopped watching. glad he’s moving on……really talented actor.

Comment by jen – November 9, 2012 01:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope he’ll stick around as August though! TNT shows are usually aired in the summer so maybe he has time to do both shows. That or I hope the people at OUAT sign him on quick or give him a contract already because his character has SO MUCH potential and it’ll be a shame if it’s wasted.

Comment by Redge – November 9, 2012 02:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They’re not gonna sign him on. They’re too busy with their new toys and they already have too many characters as it is. I liked August, but I think for Eion it’s better when this new show gets picked up. OUAT is only jerking him around and keeps adding characters instead of wrapping the stories of the ones they introduced last season.

Comment by Louise – November 9, 2012 06:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh man your last sentence: I COMPLETELY AGREE. This season has been oversaturated with new characters and plotholes. It’s starting to really turn me off from watching now…

Comment by Redge – November 9, 2012 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved Eion on Covert Affairs…the chemistry with Annie was smokin’. I absolutely love him on OUAT!! I love Pinocchio/August! They already let go of Graham so they cannot not let go of August. I want August/Emma to happen! We need more Geppetto/Pinocchio.
    I don’t know what is happening to OUAT this season…it started out good but I don’t like the direction its going. The storylines are very choppy and don’t flow each week. Out of nowhere this Sunday there will be an episode about Red/Ruby. There isn’t enough of Regina and Rumple/Mr. Gold. They haven’t even shown Geppetto since he saw the b&b room was empty. All the characters we already know needed more time to develop before bringing in new ones. I hope they work out these kinks.

Comment by Rae – November 9, 2012 06:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. The show is losing its focus and it doesn’t feel as compelling anymore. I look forward to the Red episode because she is one of my favorite characters, but I don’t care about the new characters they introduced for season 2. They are only eating up time I would like them to devote to the core characters and first season recurring characters.

Comment by Louise – November 9, 2012 06:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree and I also wish Eion was still a regular on OUAT! August is my favorite character on OUAT! :)

Comment by Jessica Coffaro – November 13, 2012 07:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wouldn’t mind if he left Once. He doesn’t add much and his involvement in the last episode made him much more villainous than I expected.

Comment by xav – November 9, 2012 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They butchered his character, that’s what happened. If I was Eion I’d be upset too–what they did made the fandom hate it even more and that’s just sad.

Comment by Anne – November 9, 2012 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Completely agree…At the end of season 1, they set his character up for redemption, now it just seems impossible…How the hell is Emma going to react when she finds out that he kinda screwed with her life…..
        I loved his character, he seemed so flawed and somehow it was enticing to watch.. now i’m not so sure.

Comment by Shahid – November 10, 2012 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nooo. He’s already barely on OUAT!!!

Comment by Cam – November 9, 2012 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Filming down the street from my house today

Comment by Tom – November 9, 2012 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Great day for it !!

Comment by Tom – November 9, 2012 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What really? Is he on the Once set?!

Comment by Redge – November 9, 2012 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Once is turning into Heroes very quickly. too many characters and not enough development on the ones that they have that made me love the show last year (ie Jiminy, August, Red ect)

Comment by Arlene – November 9, 2012 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, this sucks.. I hope he stays on OUAT. Although, he hasn’t been in it much this season so far.

Comment by Sam – November 10, 2012 02:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • august always made me laugh. popping up now & then with his meddling. that sarcasm (you want me to get u drunk?). who else would try to pull that stuff on gold? just a great character. haven’t seen any humor this season—-except with august’s scared straight approach with emma. (she cleaned up her act). and the conversation with neal in vancouver –so funny. love august to bits. yeah…this sucks

Comment by jen – November 10, 2012 06:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post