The X Factor: Ranking the Season 2 Top 12

If Election Day 2012 didn’t satisfy your hunger for civic duty, then tonight’s Top 12 edition of The X Factor will give you another chance to get your vote on.

To prepare for two straight hours of screaming teen audience members, aggressive light shows, writhing backup dancers, and Mario Lopez’s overreliance on the word “sweetie,” we decided to rank the remaining acts from worst to first.

Check out the photo gallery below, then hit the comments and tell us which rankings we got right, where we went wrong, and how you’d remedy our errors. And for all my reality TV recaps, news, and interviews, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Comments (31)

• Love Jennel and especially Beatrice. There’s something speacial about Beatrice, she looks older, more mature and i definetely prefer her over carly something, even if the latter has the better voice…

Comment by diego – November 7, 2012 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with your number 1. She is clearly the best overall. There are some that are good vocalists, some that are good dancers or performers, but I think she’s got it all. I am only 27, but I always feel so old when I watch this show because of the dang screaming girls. It’s one thing for them to scream when they are performing, but to scream at every moment that the judges are giving their critiques is absurd. I get their fake enthusiasm, but I’d kinda like to hear what the judges say once in awhile. It’s just incredibly difficult to watch. There are a lot of downfalls to X Factor but the volume is one of, if not the biggest.

Comment by Stacie – November 7, 2012 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You comment about the volume is spot on. It is like no one is air checking the show to see if the mix is OK for the home audience. Most of the time I can’t hear the singer because of all the other stuff going on. Dancers. Flashing lights. The shower of sparks. The fog machine. And worst of all the audience who are encouraged before every live show to be loud!

Josh lost last year because of this. His “First Time Ever I Saw Your Face” at the judges house round was the last time we really heard his great voice. The live shows just blotted him out with all the overdone arrangements of his mentors terrible song choices. Josh didn’t need anything but his singing voice, but they ruined his chances with their terrible audio mix.

If I was the producer I would fire whoever was in charge of the mix. It is just terrible.

Comment by Ted Sutton – November 7, 2012 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I Agree!!! Jennel is my favorite and i love 1432 !

Comment by mariah – November 7, 2012 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I didnt’t have her on my radar until last week! It’ll be interesting to see where she goes!!

Comment by Simon – November 7, 2012 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lyric 145 ruined their performance with the gangnam song. Personally I think Carly Rose should be ranked higher considering her performance was the most vocally pleasing of the bunch last week.

Comment by kavyn – November 7, 2012 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay, here’s hoping that this live Show is going to be a Big improvement over the first one, otherwise i’m going to end up on youtube, OCCASIONALLY checking Out performances. Love carly Rose, but seems like i’m the only who doesn’t like lyric 145. also, i think paige has a great tone to her voice, somewhere deep down. They just need to stop overproducing her and trying to make her Rihanna 2.

Comment by Simon – November 7, 2012 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry, but Beatrice is NOT #2. And I’d take David Correy over any of the “Over 25s”.

Comment by brandon – November 7, 2012 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love you Slezak but I don’t get your problem with Emblem 3 I loved their performance. Also while I loved lyric 145′s judges house performance their top 16 performance was utter garbage. Also Tate Stevens is kinda boring and this is coming from a huge country fan. Agree with the rest of your list though Jennel deserves first.
    On an unrelated note, so bitter that Sister C didn’t make it.

Comment by tht19 – November 7, 2012 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Beatrice is indeed the one that I’m more excited to see tonight. Her voice tone is different. I’m rooting for her.

Comment by Mari – November 7, 2012 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

8. Lyric145
    9. Vino Alan
    10. Paige Thomas
    11. Jason Brock
    12. Arin Ray

Comment by Callum – November 7, 2012 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t like Emblem 3 as 1 of the member comes of as a douche, but to me they had the best performance of last week’s show. Perfect song choice, well sung.
    Jennel is the other one who really impressed me.
    Then there’s beatrice and carly rose, who have the strongest voices.
    I liked Diamond White… Can’t believe she’s out.
    All the others were really bad last week! Hope Vito gets a nice song cause I think he has something.

Comment by Sophie – November 7, 2012 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I also much prefer Beatrice over Carly. Carly’s got a great voice but the gimmick of the “little girl with the big voice” only lasts so long. It strikes me that as she grows up, she will probably find much more success in musical theatre than the pop world (particularly since she seems to disdain contemporary pop music). Beatrice’s voice is versatile and I sense that she has more market viability. I sense that she could have a big career not just as a teen artist but that she has the potential to be able to transition will into adulthood as a pop star.

Comment by Kate – November 7, 2012 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Beatrice should have been had to sing for her life last week, but should have stayed over Arin. Cece is close to the best singer, but I get why she probably won’t win. I think that 1432 could be the best in this group, but I do like Jennel as well.

Comment by chrisjroof – November 7, 2012 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I absolutely agree with this ranking.. (It’s how I would place them), but I still think it will be a toss up between Beatrice and Jannel for the win, depending on who overcomes the bad advice from the mentor the best.

Comment by DarkDefender – November 7, 2012 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Im biased loving in St. Louis, but Vino and Tate are both Missouri guys so Im pulling for them but in reality i know neither will win i just hope they last awhile.

Comment by robsaysreally – November 7, 2012 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nope, your choice for #1 didn’t surprise me. Janell is the only viable star I see on this show right now, though Lyric145 has potential if they get the right songs. Everyone else would be in the middle of the pack at a community center talent show.

Comment by Kate – November 7, 2012 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Emblem 3 will win for sure! Diamond white probably should have won. Has she been hired by Glee yet?

Comment by Jason – November 7, 2012 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seeing as how she’s 13 years old, my money is on “no” for the ‘Glee’ thing.

Comment by Futurea – November 7, 2012 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am still pissed….Diamond White was robbed!

Comment by llws88 – November 7, 2012 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the individual girls of the girl group, but they really need to learn to harmonize, and quickly. If they don’t, they might be out sooner than expected. I also have a sinking feeling that America won’t get Beatrice, and that she’s actually closer to the bottom of the pack than you suspect. Carly seems to be the favorite in the teens section, and likely the favorite to win it all.

Comment by Aria – November 7, 2012 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good rankings. I think I would have Lyric 145 above the Lylas, but all in all I think its basically spot on.

I gave up on this show because they still don’t have their balance right and it’s hard to watch a vocal competition where the voice is not the star. I really wish Jennel and Beatrice well, though.

Comment by ben – November 7, 2012 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So I guess no summary from last week’s show with Ms Doolittle this week huh?

Comment by Tusk – November 7, 2012 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Uhm… but CeCe IS The best singer, vocally she has a stronger voice than any other of the girls. Specially Jennel and Paige.

Comment by Joe – November 7, 2012 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That makes no sense this top 12 you made. Paige is nowhere near the bottom of the pack. Cece is annoying, Emblem 3 might be douchy but they’re fun, and sing really well with energy. And Vino is easily the best of the Over 28s

Comment by Nikos – November 7, 2012 05:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree that Emblem3 is better than #6, but Astro was hyped like crazy last season and went in 7th place. Paige can’t sing, and Vino really can’t either (he growls instead), so I sort of agree with their placements in the rankings.

Comment by Futurea – November 7, 2012 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • By the way, the mention of Astro was supposed to be a way of showing that attitude can affect the voting public. Regardless of talent, if someone is obnoxious, they may not get the votes.

Comment by Futurea – November 7, 2012 08:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • @Tusk. Heard of Hurricane Sandy? Slezak had no power for a week

Comment by Forwarddad – November 7, 2012 09:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thnx forgot Slezak was located in NY…hope the damage was minimal

Comment by Tusk – November 7, 2012 09:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My ranking:
    1. Emblem3
    2. Jennel Garcia
    5. Beatrice Miller

The rest were all forgettable. :/

Comment by T_T – November 8, 2012 07:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Today, I went to the beach with my kids. I found a sea shell and gave it
    to my 4 year old daughter and said “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.” She placed
    the shell to her ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear.
    She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is entirely off topic but
    I had to tell someone!

Comment by muscle factor x reviews – April 19, 2013 02:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post