How I Met Your Mother Hot Shots: Joe Manganiello Is Back and He's (Gulp!) Chunky

How I Met Your Mother welcomes back an old friend when True Blood star Joe Manganiello returns as Brad in the Nov. 19 episode (CBS, 8/7c). But the following sneak peek suggests that Marshall’s law-school pal, who’s packed on some pounds and gone scraggly, has not been doing so well.

(Don’t worry, folks; Manganiello’s only sporting a fake gut. Underneath, those washboard abs are still laundry-ready.)

RELATED | How I Met Your Mother Gets Schooled by Covert Affairs‘ Peter Gallagher

To help him out, Marshall sets him up with an interview for a gig at his firm, but the meeting goes awry.

Meanwhile, a single Barney heads back to the strip-club circuit — a return negotiated by his best bro, Robin.

Check out the gallery below, and then hit the comments with your thoughts.

1. Jesse says:

Nice. Liked ‘Brad’.

2. wordsmith says:

What does Ted say that gets the triple-spit-take in that fourth pic?

3. justsomegirl says:

Maybe this is just the B/R fangirl in me, but LOOK at how close Barney and Robin are sitting next to each other. Her elbow is practically resting on his thigh. I saw someone post a tweet about Barney and Robin sharing a “special” moment in this episode. Can’t wait to see what it is! Can’t it be next monday already?

• Chiara says:

She´s sitting as close to him as she is to Lily.

• MellissaaStinson says:

Yes I agree I really want to see them getting closer I love them and it does look like they’re sat really close on the sofa so who knows gah I just want it to be on (and one episode airs on my birthday ‘November 19′) so please hurry up I live for my Monday’s!!!!!!!!

4. Ella says:

WHY would they get Manganiello on and give him a GUT?! Are they stupid?!

• april-ann says:

No, they’re not stupid. They just desperately need to find ways now to make the superlative cinq look less like losers after all this time. Let’s face it, it’s been quite a while and they are now in their mid to late thirties. Please don’t get me wrong here. I love this show and would like to see it bow out with dignity, and soon, while there may still be a shred of dignity left.