American Horror Story's Evan Peters: The Only Thing That Can Save Kit Now Is [Spoiler]

American Horror Story, Evan PetersAfter playing a rather vile (if slightly romantic) lad during the inaugural run of FX’s American Horror Story (airing Wednesdays at 10/9c), Evan Peters is finding comfort in switching things up to portray the hero of the piece, as a resident of Season 2’s asylum.

“He’s not a psychopath, so that’s different,” Peters notes with a chuckle, echoing series cocreator Ryan Murphy’s resolve to give returning players new mindsets to inhabit. “He’s a good guy, and not the villain.”

Most unfortunately for Kit, though he has testified that a band of extraterrestrials are responsible for the death of his wife Alma and the decapitation and head-to-toe skinning of other women, he thus far is presumed to be a serial slaughterer dubbed “Bloody Face.” And proving this particular negative will form much of the character’s journey.

RELATED | Chloe Sevigny Says Shelley’s Horror Story Gets Even More Tragic (!)

This week alone, he has a perhaps pivotal consult with Zachary Quinto’s Dr. Thredson, who reminds us of Kit’s dire dilemma: Be found sane and be put to death, or “stay” crazy and keep residence in a loony bin lorded over by the distinctly domineering likes of Sister Jude and Dr. Arden.

Coming out of that session with the shrink, Kit has a heartbreaking meeting with Sister Jude. “He’s trying to find redemption,” Peters says of the intense exchange. “If he did these things, he doesn’t want to go to hell for it. So he tries to seek forgiveness from none other than a nun.”

RELATED | American Horror Story Lures Dylan McDermott Back For Asylum-Set Season 2

As Kit navigates this seemingly impossible odyssey, he has found two kindred spirits. First, there’s Lana (played by Sarah Paulson), the newspaper reporter who was committed against her will when she was caught poking her nose where it shouldn’t be. Although “she did screw Kit over,” Peters notes, alluding to how Lana foiled his first escape attempt, “She was just looking out for the general public. And we’re both sane people stuck in an insane asylum, so we have the same goals.”

Kit’s connection with Grace (Lizzie Brochere), meanwhile, goes much deeper and this week is taken to a new level. “He’s kind of losing his mind a bit — everybody’s telling him he’s crazy and he’s starting to believe it, which is pretty sad — so he reaches out to Grace and she’s there for him,” Peters previews. “It’s a cool moment that I can’t wait to see on screen.” Of his new scene partner, a newbie to the Horror Story franchise, Peters raves, “Lizzie is awesome. You find out that Grace has done some things, but you still root for her because Lizzie is so sweet and vulnerable in her scenes.”

RELATED | American Horror Story Taps Deadwood‘s Ian McShane to ‘Tussle’ With Jessica Lange

Kit, though, is the one the audience should definitely be rooting for to escape this nightmare scenario — though only a truly out-of-this-world bit of evidence could possibly vindicate him. Meaning, it’s up to the aliens to show their scaly faces and deliver irrefutable proof of his innocence. “If they don’t, he’ll be condemned. And if they do, redemption,” Peters surmises.

Then again, Sister Jude caught a millisecond glimpse of one ET just last week, during the storm/her bender — yet she makes no mention of it anytime soon. That, Peters says, raises the question of “whether the aliens are figments of the characters’ imaginations when they get to a certain point of confusion in their lives and their minds snap. Or are they real, and they [show up] at these incredibly stressful moments?”

And for that answer, he teases, “You’ll just have to keep watching!”

1. Melissa says:

He is so great! I am loving his character, although i loved Tate too! I never really expected aliens to play a big part in an asylum story, but Ryan Murphy keeps me guessing! Love this show!!!

2. Billy bob says:

I hated Tate… The character of Kit is much better.

3. I think Kit is going to turn out to either have multiple personality disorder or Grace is and one is going to kill the other…. could happen, right? Their relationship is just too easy right now. We need more of Grace’s story.

4. I all I have to say is Emma Roberts is looking to have him as a boyfriend and I am loving season 2 way more then season 1

5. DavidSask says:

The alien crap was huge mistake for show!!

6. Naty says:

I think first Season was better than second. Aliens were too much.

7. Tara says:

I get the alien thing because if you look back through history this was a time frame that aliens sightings were widely reported! Can’t wait to see what’s next and just who the real Bloody face is!!!

8. Kristy says:

Fantastic show! I loved last season and definitely loving this one too, aliens or not! Both Tate and Kit were/are interesting characters and Evan Peters is phenomenal as both a sadistic lost soul, and the complete opposite, working his way to being a sadistic lost soul… Please keep up the good work, I look forward to my Wednesday night indulgence!!

9. Steven says:

So far I am loving this season. I am curious why some folks think the alien ‘crap’ was a huge mistake or ‘too much’… We are only a few episodes in so we don’t even know what part, how big of a part the aliens play in all this in the first place. I’m also not sure I understand how aliens can be too much in a show like this… It’s supposed to be weird, creepy and all over the place, so aliens should fit right in, right?

• Marie Brouillette says:

I agree the alien touch was very much a part of that period. My aunt talked about seeing a UFO and they were also in the news much more than they are today. I have known people personally who very much believe they were abducted by aliens and returned to Earth.

10. Shaina says:

I love this Tv show! Evan Peters is my favorite. He was on the first season and he still is this one. Hes a great actor and Sister Jude is my 2nd. The aliens are a nice touch. Alittle confusing at times but nice. I think hes telling the truth…….the doc did find something in his neck right? Not sure, Starting to think the crazy doc is the one killing women. Then again so far its showed the sadistic things hes done. Can’t wait to find out!

11. Rhonda Marie says:

Does anyone else think maybe Dr Thredsen could possibly be another crazy patient??? Just sayin!

12. Anna says:

Wow This show just made me feel like I was witnessing a disturbing crime\event i felt as if i was taking advantage of, took it to the next grotesque level! I am a huge fan of the first season, the 2nd is making me feel extremely uncomfortable, well I am guessing that would be the point. Amazing cast and mind blowing creative creepy story plot. Makes me feel horrified just like the title. FX Puts HBO to shame and all of the premium Channels lol

13. robbin says:

Ummm I loved Tate and kinda miss him but I love kit to .. Evan is a great actor and personally I would love to see him in movies! I love the show this season and last season and at first I thought aliens were taking the weirdness to far but really this season is all about the insane right so bring on the aliens and crazy smeagal lookin characters in the woods and the mess of horny people that are supposedly criminally insane this show is the best part of my Wednesdays so thanks

14. Marie says:

This is by far the most entertaining and interesting show on TV right now. I missed the 1st season and hope to see it on DVD (hint, hint). Great story line and really not to far off from reality in a mental hospital for the criminally insane. I’ve worked in one, and aliens, the devil, and sadistic doctors were everywhere.

15. DL says:

Love Evan Peters! Really rooting for his character. Will he actually be the one who brings redemption for Sister Jude in the end?