Louis C.K. Hosts Saturday Night Live: Watch Our Picks for Best and Worst Sketches

Get More: Late Night TV, Recaps

louis ck snlThe middle portion of this week’s Saturday Night Live may have dragged like a Neanderthal’s knuckle, but thanks to a one-two punch of hilarity to kick things off, plus an absurdly perfect final sketch, host Louis C.K. should enter Sunday morning with his head held high. Heck, even the comic’s worst moments on the episode eschewed chichéd setups in favor of weirder, more experimental stabs at humor.

Without further ado, here are my picks for the week’s best and worst sketches:

Best: Opening Monologue
If anyone can think of a funnier bit of standup by an SNL host in the last five years, please leave your nominations in the comments section. As for me, I’m at a loss to remember laughing harder at anything in recent SNL history than I did during Louis’s story of coming to the aid of an elderly woman who’d fallen at the airport. From the bit about acquiring knowledge of “lingerie in the ’20s” to his speculation that she’d already been a refugee on eight separate occasions, I could barely catch my breath between guffaws.

Best: Last Call at Donnellys
Louis’ makeout session with Kate McKinnon in this sketch about a drunken couple looking for love was grotesque, brave, outlandish, and so so funny. I particularly enjoyed McKinnon’s abandon delivering zingers like, “Red Rover, Red Rover…send that mouth right over,” as well as “I don’t care what he looks like; I have massive needs.” Tell me I’m not the only one whose tongue hid behind his uvula as Louis and McKinnon went at it.

Best: Mayor Bloomberg Press Conference
Newcomer Cecily Strong has a major breakout moment as NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s jazzy sign-language interpreter, and Nasim Pedrad was equally strong in the corresponding role of NJ Gov. Chris Christie’s administration. By the time Fred Armisen’s Bloomberg got to the Spanish-language portion of his speech — asking for patience with regard to white people who’d missed this week’s Homeland because of the Hurricane Sandy-related power outages — this one had become an SNL classic.

Worst: Waiting for Zog
Zog wasn’t the only link missing from this piece about Louis’ ye-olde-times messenger dude attempting to summon a local man for a Godly delivery. The punch lines were pretty much nonexistent, too. At least it was something different, I guess?

What did you think of this week’s SNL? How would you rate Louis C.K. as host? Sound off in the comments!

Comments (59)

• ok..I will be that guy..but I thought the monologue was blah…but I will admit I am one of the ones that does not think Louis C.K is the that funny. Do not hate him or anything, but I also do not think he is the greatest thing since sliced bread

Comment by Terry – November 4, 2012 05:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • absolutely!!!! i mean, he seem like a nice guy and all, but he’s not as funny as everybody says. or maybe I’m just the only one that doesn’t get it.

Comment by Marschie – November 4, 2012 05:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I didn’t laugh one time during the monologue, so it wasn’t only you two.

Comment by Mig – November 4, 2012 06:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • So glad it wasn’t just me. I thought the opening monologue dragged on forever, unfunny.
          The Bloomberg sign language interpreter sketch was definitely the highlight of the evening.

Comment by Morgen Pittman – November 4, 2012 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I cackled like a fool during that monologue, and I can’t remember the last time I laughed at any other monologue. I don’t think of LCK as being an acquired taste, but not everyone will like him.

Comment by Kate – November 4, 2012 12:51 PM PDT
          • I also did not chuckle at all during the monologue.

Comment by Stephen – November 4, 2012 10:09 PM PDT
        • I didn’t laugh once during the monologue, either. I’m glad to know it wasn’t just me!

Comment by Gwen – November 5, 2012 04:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Funniest comic in America, people. If that wasn’t funny to you, you’re still in the 20th Century when it comes to stand-up. Not being mean, but he’s pretty much every comedian’s favorite comedian. Except for Dane Cook, which is further proof of his excellence.

Comment by KevyB – November 7, 2012 04:04 AM PDT
    • Slezak, my nomination for best monologue goes to Zach Galifinakis. It’s the only time I can really remember completely cracking up during an SNL monologue.

Comment by Brandon – November 4, 2012 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Good call, that was hilarious!

Comment by haukmoor – November 4, 2012 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Zog sketch made me laugh, especially because the cast couldn’t keep it together.

Comment by Diva08 – December 27, 2012 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you watch the show Louie, you have to think the best sketch was Lincoln.

I thought Louis CK killed it pretty much the entire episode.

Comment by Sg.Grant – November 4, 2012 05:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Lincoln, Lincoln, you’re gonna die…”! Inspired! :-D

Comment by TV Gord – November 4, 2012 07:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Oh yeah, so they’re just gonna let you in. Like, where does it stop?” “It stops at the president!”

Comment by dude – November 4, 2012 07:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve never seen his show, but I figured it was a take off on his show. The sketch still cracked me up!

Comment by Sunny Mc (@mcdeallover) – November 4, 2012 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Louis CK can do no wrong

Comment by MM – November 4, 2012 05:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved the Lincoln sketch, and the makeout was horribly entertaining. It was so creepy-hot that I feel I must be a sicko.

Comment by GeekFurious.com – November 4, 2012 05:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you were legit turned on by it then yes, you’re a sicko.

Comment by dude – November 4, 2012 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad to see you back Slezak!

Comment by Maj – November 4, 2012 05:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yep, I agree!

Comment by lisakay – November 4, 2012 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Lincoln sketch was the best. Awesome.

Comment by ES – November 4, 2012 05:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This episode was just okay. It had funny moments and it had lame moments. I was disappointed in that I thought this episode would be funny from start to finish. Weekend update was good, the Mayor’s Press Conference was funny and the monologue was just okay. I thought the Bruno Mars Episode was better.

Comment by Leigh – November 4, 2012 05:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All of the sketches were entertaining, even the Zog sketch. Louie made that one great by screwing up the timing on his horn blowing.

If you don’t “get” Louie CK’s humor, there’s something very wrong with you, SOCIOPATH!!

Comment by A Wulff – November 4, 2012 05:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like that you “get” him and yet can’t spell his name correctly. Good job.

Comment by tripoli – November 4, 2012 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • for being the episode before the election, i thought that it was a really weak week. sorry, snl…

Comment by prettyinpinky – November 4, 2012 06:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Been a very weak season…missing the characters people like…horrid host…He is just NOT funny at all!

Comment by A.D. – November 4, 2012 06:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Zog Sketch comes from the game Skyrim.

Comment by Adam – November 4, 2012 06:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really thought the entire show was great, and this was the best one in a very long time. I actually liked the Zog sketch – it was Pythonesque and just silly. The Lincoln sketch was the standout for me, but I was happy to see that he could act as well as do stand-up.

Comment by Diane – November 4, 2012 06:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The monologue and the Lincoln sketch were, to me, the most entertaining. Perhaps I’m biased on the latter, because I’m a Louie fan. People who haven’t seen the show probably wouldn’t get it.

That makeout scene was cringe-inducing but I couldn’t look away. Good skit.

Other than that, a fairly weak episode. I hate to say that, because I love Louis C.K. I hope they invite him back and give him better material. This episode was maybe a touch below the Seth MacFarlane and Bruno Mars episodes, but definitely above the Daniel Craig episode.

Comment by Eric – November 4, 2012 06:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lincoln sketch was the best…the Zog was just plain awful

Comment by KND – November 4, 2012 07:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The best episode of the season.

Comment by Aljosa – November 4, 2012 07:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought it was an above-average show. I’ll toss in the hotel checkout sketch, which was funny because it’s true…kind of…

This season has been much better so far, with half of the six episodes so far being better than average (Seth MacFarlane, Bruno Mars and now, Louis CK). The other three even had their moments. I’m getting back to looking forward to seeing SNL again!

Comment by TV Gord – November 4, 2012 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Slezak, even though Louis’ opening monologue was hilarious, he has so many amazing bits. Just look through ‘em all on YouTube (but prepare for more cursing). Theyre all brillaint

Comment by Karen – November 4, 2012 07:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best SNL in a long time.

Comment by GOLCK – November 4, 2012 08:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Louis CK is incredibly funny on his own with his material (hence opening monologue). Last night though for a lot of sketches he was just the result of some really bad writing. The makeout was hilarious though.

Comment by Melanie – November 4, 2012 08:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael’s back! Thank goodness.

Comment by Crystal – November 4, 2012 09:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Zog wasn’t the worst. The worst was that awful Australian movie star tribute. Ugh….

Comment by PFitzDC – November 4, 2012 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • kate mckinnon very nearly broke a smile a few times, but she really channeled cheri oteri in that sketch i thought. and Lincoln sketch was obviously the BEST sketch come on now!

Comment by cjeffery7 – November 4, 2012 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best- girl at a party you regret talking to on Weekend Update. Hilarious.

Comment by YowzaPowza – November 4, 2012 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best-Hotel, Girl at the party on WU, Lincoln
    Worst-Fox and Friends, Mitt Romney on WU, Zog,

Comment by Eli – November 4, 2012 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How do you review this episode without mentioning one of the greatest bits in recent SNL history? Lincoln was unreal, I was dying laughing. Simply brilliant

Comment by Patrick – November 4, 2012 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lincoln skit was great and so was the makeout thing at the end. Kate McKinnon is better than any of the regulars lately, she should be promoted up from a feature player.

Comment by Paul – November 4, 2012 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Welcome back Michael!

Comment by halien – November 4, 2012 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I forgot to watch. [Cry, cry]. It sucked, I never watch SNL, but I was really looking forward to that one. A friend did show me the clip from Lincoln though, and I died laughing. I’m sure I can find the whole episode online somewhere.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – November 4, 2012 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lincoln was amazing and so was the make out at the end. Girl from the party was hilarious. My problem with the opening monologue is that if you have seen his latest stand-up, this was word for word out of his act. I think he should have given his loyal fans some new material. Then again, they have been working without power all week. I would love to see him host again with better circumstances.

Comment by CD – November 4, 2012 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Lincoln” had me laughing so hard I could barely breathe. SNL hasn’t made me do that in quite some time. I’m willing to forgive the “Zog” sketch simply because “Lincoln” was so brilliant. “Last Call” was pretty great too.

Comment by CJ – November 4, 2012 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The best episode this season, although that Zog sketch was pretty awful.
    And I thought that “Abie” would be a better title for the made-up Lincoln show.

Comment by Sarabi – November 4, 2012 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t watch the show last night but I just watched the opening monologue vid here and laughed so hard I cried. Watched the Lincoln sketch on another site a few mins ago and that one was really good too.

Comment by maryploppins – November 4, 2012 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked waiting for Zog. It was way better than the crappy Austrialian film thing they did. Other than that sketch the whole show was great. My fav was Louis as Lincoln.

Comment by Josh – November 4, 2012 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last Call at Donnellys was well acted, but I feel like it’s a skit that’s been done a thousand times before on SNL. Otherwise, it was a pretty good show – they had so much material to work with, though, it would have been really sad if it wasn’t.

Comment by fiyero – November 4, 2012 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved Waiting for Zog!and the Austrailian movie award sketch

Comment by Jackie H – November 4, 2012 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Louis CK was great, hilarious monologue and he was good in the sketches when he was playing other characters. All in all one of the better shows of the season.

Comment by Terry – November 4, 2012 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As an American who lived in Australia for a couple years, Louis CK was the most hilarious bit of the entire episode. If you ever hear an Aussie trying to do an American accent, they accentuate it the best they know how, and McKinnon totally rocked it the best any seppo could! There aren’t that many Aussies with that thick an accent, but it was so quintessential, I absolutely loved her!

Comment by Michael – November 4, 2012 10:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=772980&ocid=rr-tv-news Marlee Matlin upset over ‘SNL’ sign-language skit

Yes it was a humorous riff on a pop-culture phenomenon, but it was still insulting to a language that many hold dear.

Comment by ncmacasl – November 5, 2012 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Relax & take a chill pill. SNL wasn’t making fun of sign language at all; it was making fun of that particular interpreter – she always stands out in all the hurricane sandy press confs for being hyper-animated. She’s totally awesome & funny, as was her sendup in that skit.

Comment by chill dude – November 5, 2012 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Slezak, you liked these skits for the same reason I did not. It’s the kind of humor where your brain laughs but your mouth stays still.

I did like the press conference skit, but that was much more about impersonation & current events than thought. The Lincoln skit was cool concept but was a bit too collegiate in its script.

Gotta say, the best thing about the episode is I hadn’t heard of Louis CK, so I checked out his vids on YT – man this guy is hilarious doing his own material. He’s got a new fan.

Comment by my thoughts – November 5, 2012 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That opening monologue was one of the worst in SNL history. I didn’t laugh once. The old lady bit was vulgar, not funny, The only part of the show with anything going for it was the Bloomberg press conference.

Comment by Leela – November 5, 2012 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lincoln was the funniest skit I have seen in a long time.

Comment by murley – November 5, 2012 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gosh Louis is so above this crappy material. He did what he could with the bar scene and made it tolerable but that Zog scene made me hate myself. Sometimes I wonder if the garbage was just too far so they didn’t feel like getting up to throw a script out.

Comment by Stephen – November 6, 2012 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post