Louis C.K. Hosts Saturday Night Live: Watch Our Picks for Best and Worst Sketches

louis ck snlThe middle portion of this week’s Saturday Night Live may have dragged like a Neanderthal’s knuckle, but thanks to a one-two punch of hilarity to kick things off, plus an absurdly perfect final sketch, host Louis C.K. should enter Sunday morning with his head held high. Heck, even the comic’s worst moments on the episode eschewed chichéd setups in favor of weirder, more experimental stabs at humor.

Without further ado, here are my picks for the week’s best and worst sketches:

Best: Opening Monologue
If anyone can think of a funnier bit of standup by an SNL host in the last five years, please leave your nominations in the comments section. As for me, I’m at a loss to remember laughing harder at anything in recent SNL history than I did during Louis’s story of coming to the aid of an elderly woman who’d fallen at the airport. From the bit about acquiring knowledge of “lingerie in the ’20s” to his speculation that she’d already been a refugee on eight separate occasions, I could barely catch my breath between guffaws.

Best: Last Call at Donnellys
Louis’ makeout session with Kate McKinnon in this sketch about a drunken couple looking for love was grotesque, brave, outlandish, and so so funny. I particularly enjoyed McKinnon’s abandon delivering zingers like, “Red Rover, Red Rover…send that mouth right over,” as well as “I don’t care what he looks like; I have massive needs.” Tell me I’m not the only one whose tongue hid behind his uvula as Louis and McKinnon went at it.

Best: Mayor Bloomberg Press Conference
Newcomer Cecily Strong has a major breakout moment as NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s jazzy sign-language interpreter, and Nasim Pedrad was equally strong in the corresponding role of NJ Gov. Chris Christie’s administration. By the time Fred Armisen’s Bloomberg got to the Spanish-language portion of his speech — asking for patience with regard to white people who’d missed this week’s Homeland because of the Hurricane Sandy-related power outages — this one had become an SNL classic.

Worst: Waiting for Zog
Zog wasn’t the only link missing from this piece about Louis’ ye-olde-times messenger dude attempting to summon a local man for a Godly delivery. The punch lines were pretty much nonexistent, too. At least it was something different, I guess?

What did you think of this week’s SNL? How would you rate Louis C.K. as host? Sound off in the comments!

1. Terry says:

ok..I will be that guy..but I thought the monologue was blah…but I will admit I am one of the ones that does not think Louis C.K is the that funny. Do not hate him or anything, but I also do not think he is the greatest thing since sliced bread

• Marschie says:

absolutely!!!! i mean, he seem like a nice guy and all, but he’s not as funny as everybody says. or maybe I’m just the only one that doesn’t get it.

• Mig says:

I didn’t laugh one time during the monologue, so it wasn’t only you two.

• So glad it wasn’t just me. I thought the opening monologue dragged on forever, unfunny.
          The Bloomberg sign language interpreter sketch was definitely the highlight of the evening.

• Kate says:

I cackled like a fool during that monologue, and I can’t remember the last time I laughed at any other monologue. I don’t think of LCK as being an acquired taste, but not everyone will like him.

• Stephen says:

I also did not chuckle at all during the monologue.

• Gwen says:

I didn’t laugh once during the monologue, either. I’m glad to know it wasn’t just me!

• KevyB says:

Funniest comic in America, people. If that wasn’t funny to you, you’re still in the 20th Century when it comes to stand-up. Not being mean, but he’s pretty much every comedian’s favorite comedian. Except for Dane Cook, which is further proof of his excellence.

• Brandon says:

Slezak, my nomination for best monologue goes to Zach Galifinakis. It’s the only time I can really remember completely cracking up during an SNL monologue.

• Diva08 says:

The Zog sketch made me laugh, especially because the cast couldn’t keep it together.

2. Sg.Grant says:

If you watch the show Louie, you have to think the best sketch was Lincoln.

I thought Louis CK killed it pretty much the entire episode.

3. MM says:

Louis CK can do no wrong

4. I loved the Lincoln sketch, and the makeout was horribly entertaining. It was so creepy-hot that I feel I must be a sicko.

5. Maj says:

Glad to see you back Slezak!

6. ES says:

The Lincoln sketch was the best. Awesome.

7. Leigh says:

This episode was just okay. It had funny moments and it had lame moments. I was disappointed in that I thought this episode would be funny from start to finish. Weekend update was good, the Mayor’s Press Conference was funny and the monologue was just okay. I thought the Bruno Mars Episode was better.

8. A Wulff says:

All of the sketches were entertaining, even the Zog sketch. Louie made that one great by screwing up the timing on his horn blowing.

If you don’t “get” Louie CK’s humor, there’s something very wrong with you, SOCIOPATH!!

9. prettyinpinky says:

for being the episode before the election, i thought that it was a really weak week. sorry, snl…

10. A.D. says:

Been a very weak season…missing the characters people like…horrid host…He is just NOT funny at all!

11. Adam says:

The Zog Sketch comes from the game Skyrim.

12. Diane says:

I really thought the entire show was great, and this was the best one in a very long time. I actually liked the Zog sketch – it was Pythonesque and just silly. The Lincoln sketch was the standout for me, but I was happy to see that he could act as well as do stand-up.

13. Eric says:

The monologue and the Lincoln sketch were, to me, the most entertaining. Perhaps I’m biased on the latter, because I’m a Louie fan. People who haven’t seen the show probably wouldn’t get it.

That makeout scene was cringe-inducing but I couldn’t look away. Good skit.

Other than that, a fairly weak episode. I hate to say that, because I love Louis C.K. I hope they invite him back and give him better material. This episode was maybe a touch below the Seth MacFarlane and Bruno Mars episodes, but definitely above the Daniel Craig episode.

14. KND says:

Lincoln sketch was the best…the Zog was just plain awful

15. Aljosa says:

The best episode of the season.

16. TV Gord says:

I thought it was an above-average show. I’ll toss in the hotel checkout sketch, which was funny because it’s true…kind of…

This season has been much better so far, with half of the six episodes so far being better than average (Seth MacFarlane, Bruno Mars and now, Louis CK). The other three even had their moments. I’m getting back to looking forward to seeing SNL again!

17. Karen says:

Slezak, even though Louis’ opening monologue was hilarious, he has so many amazing bits. Just look through ‘em all on YouTube (but prepare for more cursing). Theyre all brillaint

18. GOLCK says:

Best SNL in a long time.

19. Melanie says:

Louis CK is incredibly funny on his own with his material (hence opening monologue). Last night though for a lot of sketches he was just the result of some really bad writing. The makeout was hilarious though.

20. Crystal says:

Michael’s back! Thank goodness.

21. PFitzDC says:

Zog wasn’t the worst. The worst was that awful Australian movie star tribute. Ugh….

22. cjeffery7 says:

kate mckinnon very nearly broke a smile a few times, but she really channeled cheri oteri in that sketch i thought. and Lincoln sketch was obviously the BEST sketch come on now!

23. YowzaPowza says:

Best- girl at a party you regret talking to on Weekend Update. Hilarious.

24. Eli says:

Best-Hotel, Girl at the party on WU, Lincoln
    Worst-Fox and Friends, Mitt Romney on WU, Zog,

25. Patrick says:

How do you review this episode without mentioning one of the greatest bits in recent SNL history? Lincoln was unreal, I was dying laughing. Simply brilliant

26. Paul says:

Lincoln skit was great and so was the makeout thing at the end. Kate McKinnon is better than any of the regulars lately, she should be promoted up from a feature player.

27. halien says:

Welcome back Michael!

28. Britta Unfiltered says:

I forgot to watch. [Cry, cry]. It sucked, I never watch SNL, but I was really looking forward to that one. A friend did show me the clip from Lincoln though, and I died laughing. I’m sure I can find the whole episode online somewhere.

29. CD says:

Lincoln was amazing and so was the make out at the end. Girl from the party was hilarious. My problem with the opening monologue is that if you have seen his latest stand-up, this was word for word out of his act. I think he should have given his loyal fans some new material. Then again, they have been working without power all week. I would love to see him host again with better circumstances.

30. CJ says:

“Lincoln” had me laughing so hard I could barely breathe. SNL hasn’t made me do that in quite some time. I’m willing to forgive the “Zog” sketch simply because “Lincoln” was so brilliant. “Last Call” was pretty great too.

31. Sarabi says:

The best episode this season, although that Zog sketch was pretty awful.
    And I thought that “Abie” would be a better title for the made-up Lincoln show.

32. maryploppins says:

I didn’t watch the show last night but I just watched the opening monologue vid here and laughed so hard I cried. Watched the Lincoln sketch on another site a few mins ago and that one was really good too.

33. Josh says:

I liked waiting for Zog. It was way better than the crappy Austrialian film thing they did. Other than that sketch the whole show was great. My fav was Louis as Lincoln.

34. fiyero says:

Last Call at Donnellys was well acted, but I feel like it’s a skit that’s been done a thousand times before on SNL. Otherwise, it was a pretty good show – they had so much material to work with, though, it would have been really sad if it wasn’t.

35. Jackie H says:

I loved Waiting for Zog!and the Austrailian movie award sketch

36. Terry says:

Louis CK was great, hilarious monologue and he was good in the sketches when he was playing other characters. All in all one of the better shows of the season.

37. Michael says:

As an American who lived in Australia for a couple years, Louis CK was the most hilarious bit of the entire episode. If you ever hear an Aussie trying to do an American accent, they accentuate it the best they know how, and McKinnon totally rocked it the best any seppo could! There aren’t that many Aussies with that thick an accent, but it was so quintessential, I absolutely loved her!

38. ncmacasl says:

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=772980&ocid=rr-tv-news Marlee Matlin upset over ‘SNL’ sign-language skit

Yes it was a humorous riff on a pop-culture phenomenon, but it was still insulting to a language that many hold dear.

• chill dude says:

Relax & take a chill pill. SNL wasn’t making fun of sign language at all; it was making fun of that particular interpreter – she always stands out in all the hurricane sandy press confs for being hyper-animated. She’s totally awesome & funny, as was her sendup in that skit.

39. my thoughts says:

Slezak, you liked these skits for the same reason I did not. It’s the kind of humor where your brain laughs but your mouth stays still.

I did like the press conference skit, but that was much more about impersonation & current events than thought. The Lincoln skit was cool concept but was a bit too collegiate in its script.

Gotta say, the best thing about the episode is I hadn’t heard of Louis CK, so I checked out his vids on YT – man this guy is hilarious doing his own material. He’s got a new fan.

40. Leela says:

That opening monologue was one of the worst in SNL history. I didn’t laugh once. The old lady bit was vulgar, not funny, The only part of the show with anything going for it was the Bloomberg press conference.

41. murley says:

Lincoln was the funniest skit I have seen in a long time.

42. Stephen says:

Gosh Louis is so above this crappy material. He did what he could with the bar scene and made it tolerable but that Zog scene made me hate myself. Sometimes I wonder if the garbage was just too far so they didn’t feel like getting up to throw a script out.