Ratings: ABC's Friday Sitcoms Have Strong Start, Shark Tank Hits New Highs, Nikita Rises

Get More: News, Premieres, Ratings

Amanda Fuller and Tim Allen, Last Man StandingThank god it’s Friday sitcoms! ABC’s new line-up of week-ending comedy fare fared very well in its first foray, as Last Man Standing opened its sophomore run with 7.84 million total viewers and a 1.9 demo rating — down sharply from its series launch, sure, but up 19 and 12 percent from its freshman finale and delivering its best numbers since Feb. 7 and March 20, respectively.

Leading out of that, Reba McEntire’s Malibu Country debuted to 8.9 mil and a 2.2, building on Last Man‘s numbers and almost matching the audience of fellow newbie The Neighbors‘ launch. ABC notes that Malibu Reba scored the network’s best numbers in the time slot in almost five years.

All told, ABC’s sitcombo performed 23 and 14 better than Shark Tank‘s most recent Fridays-at-8 outing.

Speaking of Shark Tank: It rose 8 and 28 percent to net all-time highs in its 9 o’clock perch — 7.3 mil and 2.3. So, win-win for ABC.

Elsewhere on the night:

8 pm | CBS’ Undercover Boss opened its new season with 8 mil/1.5, down 26 and 37 percent from last cycle’s Friday premiere but up more than 30 percent from its May finale. NBC’s Hurricane Sandy telethon drew 6.3 mil/1.5. Kitchen Nightmares (3 mil/1.0) ticked up a tenth in the demo, while Top Model (1.25 mil/0.4) was flat.

9 pm | CSI: NY led the hour in total audience with 10 mil (while scoring a 1.5 rating, flat versus last week). Grimm (5.7 mil/1.8) dipped 10 percent, Fringe (2.6 mil/1.0) ticked up a tenth and Nikita (1.17 mil/0.4) rose two tenths from its scary week-ago low.

10 pm | Blue Bloods was Friday’s most watched program with 10.9 million viewers while netting a 1.3 rating, slipping just a bit week-to-week.

Comments (67)

• The new daughter on LMS looks so much older than the girl she replaced. Didn’t care for her but still like the show. Good numbers for a Friday.

Comment by Chuck Finley (AJ) – November 3, 2012 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That is probably THE main reason that the older sister from last year was replaced. The girl who played the teen mom older sister was 4 years younger than the middle sister – and looked it.

That and the fact that it was hard to tell the 2 older sisters apart last year.

I guess with the decision to make the kid 5 years old(er), they felt they had to make the mom look older also.
      It’s true, last years older daughter would have been a hard sell to have a 5 year old kid.

With all that said. I liked last years daughter better.

Comment by J. Norman – November 3, 2012 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The decision to make Boyd older was confusing, it added nothing to the show. and ageing the characters due to how closely age the daughters were seem pathetic, instead of a teen mom now you have a mid 20′s mom who shouldn’t be living at home (i wont be surprised if they’ve made a ep on her moving out). at the least they should have found a better actress to fit the Kristen Baxter role. Amanda Fuller is more heavier set and has a deeper tone then the rest of the Baxter cast members.

Bring back “Alexandra Krosney”

Comment by Bring back "Alexandra Krosney" – November 3, 2012 09:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • With the decision to replace the older daughter and up the age of Boyd, I feel the show has already jumped the shark…

Comment by Craig – November 10, 2012 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • So sad to see terrible management decisions on LMS. I thought the new daughter was going to be Tim’s sister-in-law, then she called him dad! Terrible casting, terrible choice. Jumped the shark for sure. What a waste of a perfect vehicle for Tim Allen!!!

Comment by Adam – December 8, 2012 04:41 PM PDT
  • Malibu Country was fun, I think it could work. However the gay – not gay storyline felt really tired. Can we get some bisexual characters on TV?

Comment by Midori004 – November 3, 2012 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just wish they could have brought back the old Reba and continued that story. It just felt SO similar, but not quite as good. I kept wanting Van/Cheyanne/Barbara Jean to walk through the front door.

Comment by brandon – November 3, 2012 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes! Why can’t they just move that family to Malibu?? It would be hilarious. I miss me some Van. He was so funny. And Barbara Jean.

Comment by Kim R – November 3, 2012 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed and agreed!

Comment by Ana – November 3, 2012 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Having Nikita at the 9pm friday time slot, ESPECIALLY after ANTM, is going to continue to give the show bad ratings. I love Nikita, and I’d really love it to come back for a third season…I hope the CW doesn’t screw this up, because Nikita is one of the best shows on air right now.

Comment by isabelmonca – November 3, 2012 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sorry, FOURTH season

Comment by isabelmonca – November 3, 2012 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They need to prop Shane West’s role in Nikita ALOT more and send him out to primetime talk shows to promote it because i think it went up partly because he was live tweeting with the fans during the show.You see the difference when he is the one promoting the show instead of it being all about Maggie Q only.This show has a ensemble cast and they should all be out there promoting it on primetime talk shows.

Comment by pink – November 3, 2012 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Definitely, as well as Lyndsy Fonseca, now that she has a bigger fan base because of Kick Ass, Hot Tub Time Machine, etc…the cast should also promote together! it would be cool to see their dynamic and relationship off the camera

Comment by isabelmonca – November 6, 2012 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree with what you said.Nikita has been awesome this season.If you look at The CW weekly schedule from Monday-Thursday both shows on are of a similar genre.
      Mon – 90210/GG
      Tues – Hart of Dixie/Emily Owens
      Wed – Arrow/Supernatural
      Thursday – TVD/Beauty & The Beast
      Nikita is the only one suffering on Fridays.Hopefully once GG finishes they can move ANTM to Mondays with 90210 & air Cult before Nikita of Fridays.

Comment by Warren – November 3, 2012 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Carrie Diaries is taking over GGs slot in Jan,-this is confirmed& Beauty& Beast will move & Cult will air after VD

Comment by Brandy – November 3, 2012 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I never noticed that! I agree though! And yes, Nikita HAS been awesome this season!!

Comment by isabelmonca – November 6, 2012 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Good news! Nikita is now moving back to its 8pm slot on fridays! hopefully the ratings will improve!

Comment by isabelmonca – November 11, 2012 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The San Francisco Bay Area didn’t get Fringe until 11pm last night as they played a recap of the Giants season at 9. Thank goodness for my DVR that recorded Fringe at 11. I fell asleep trying to watch it live.

Comment by Leslie – November 3, 2012 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy about Nikita’s ratings

Comment by :-) – November 3, 2012 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My theory of the cannibalized 9 PM genre audience holds true again. Grimm goes down, both Nikita and Fringe go up. I watch all three, why can’t I count?

Comment by TigerNightmare – November 3, 2012 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Malibu Country was good, but it was very similar to Reba and it just made me wish they could’ve just brought back Reba (seriously Joanna just can’t get a steady gig since after Reba). However I loved Sara Rue and think she made an ok Barbara Jean. I will definitely continue to watch

Comment by Ram510 – November 3, 2012 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I dont watch Nikita but I am very happy for its rasie in ratings and for it’s fans congrats hopefully it stays up.

Comment by fernando rodriguez (@Fernanaberry) – November 3, 2012 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why don’t you watch the show? I watch it and even though it is not as good as the original T.V version (La Femme Nikita) ,it is still good and Shane West is in it and that is the best reason of all to watch it!LOL!

Comment by pink – November 3, 2012 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i could do the full 5 minute long speech which i have delivered to several friends to convince them to watch nikita (it works they are all hooked) but im just too lazy to type it so i will just say: if you arent watching nikita you are missing out on some of the highest quality stuff on tv

Comment by Alan – November 3, 2012 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so happy for Nikita!! Much better than last week! I hope cw doesn’t can cancel!

Comment by liliana – November 3, 2012 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • sorry ignore the can!

Comment by liliana – November 3, 2012 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A .4 for Stinkita is still a lousy number. The people who pee themselves with excitement over it are clueless.

Comment by Alex – November 3, 2012 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • if dont like Nikita why you have to be rude to fans and comment about it? seriously!

Comment by Ruby – November 3, 2012 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • F u,u f-ing jerk!

Comment by you know – November 3, 2012 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • how old are you? 4?

Comment by luli – November 3, 2012 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually you are the clueless one. It’s likely to be renewed because they are so close to syndication numbers. If you don’t understand why, go over to TVbythenumbers and they can explain it to you on a 3rd grade level so you can understand.

Comment by Chuck Finley (AJ) – November 3, 2012 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • wow is this all you have to do with your time. im fine with you not liking the show, its your opinion and i respect that, but it is not cool to demean it or its fans. there are many, many tv shows i dont like but you know what i dont do, i dont search out articles on those shows and insult the fans of that show. maybe you could try that sometime, you might get some maturity by accident as well

Comment by Alan – November 3, 2012 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • So you’re one of the ones who got overexcited by that crappy .4 that actually got adjusted down to a .3, I see. Maybe you should choose a better show to watch than Stinkita and then you wouldn’t feel the need to defend its honor (LOL!) to random people on Internet forums.

Comment by Alex – November 10, 2012 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess no one in NY/NJ have nielson boxes.

Comment by Danielle – November 3, 2012 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so glad for Nikita ratings!!! :) Fringe and Nikita last night episodes were awesome!!

Comment by Ruby – November 3, 2012 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes they were!!! Also loved Grimm last night too.

Comment by Justin – November 3, 2012 05:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The new daughter on Last Man Standing sucks. I wish they’d kept the actress who played her in season 1 or just sent the character to live somewhere else entirely. I don’t like Boyd’s father this year either.

Overall, the writing was sloppy. Tim Allen’s character is supposed to be super opinionated, but he never had a response to his daughter’s political jabs. It was silly.

Comment by Drew – November 3, 2012 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Perhaps its more the fact they recast that sucks. I think it takes time not to feel the change is jarring. I’m not really sure why they chose to make the change, actually. Do these kinds of changes ever work?

Comment by ben – November 3, 2012 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • in lots of cases yes, daytime soaps live on it and many shows have recast in the past and carried on as good as before

Comment by Alan – November 3, 2012 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Um, hello. Second Becky on Roseanne. This is the exact same situation except they didn’t make a joke about it. That’s why it was jarring to me on LMS, because they just jumped in and she was Kristen. They should’ve introduced her slowly, not as like the first line in the episode, and with a reference to the change.

Comment by Darcy – November 4, 2012 01:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The daughter/sister on Boy Meets World.

Comment by Midori004 – November 4, 2012 04:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He did have some great comebacks and they were forced to cut them from the show so as not to offend his highness Obama.

Comment by Chuck Finley (AJ) – November 3, 2012 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • yeah right. oh wait no, not right, obama is a democrat isnt it only the republicans who push their views onto the stations they have control over

Comment by Alan – November 3, 2012 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Revolution’s ‘repeat’ at 10pm on a Friday earned 1.1/3.83 million viewers. Seems like it has already established a pretty solid fanbase. Great news since this is my favorite new show.

Fantastic night for ABC. Good one for NBC, while FOX is turning into a laughing stock. CW can take heart in the fact that it had a better night than Mondays. CBS is pretty much the same, but I’ve this creeping feeling that Blue Bloods will be cancelled after this season if it doesn’t improve in the demo.

Comment by POIFanatic – November 3, 2012 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t get why they replaced the oldest daughter. The first one was much better, and she had great chemistry with the other two girls. I don’t care for the new one at all, she brings down the show for me.

Comment by Liz – November 3, 2012 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Undercover Boss was so silly. The Modell guy had the poorest disguise ever seen. The mustache was so obviously fake and he spoke like he had rocks in his mouth.

Comment by Forwarddad – November 3, 2012 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nikita continues to be a great show with a brilliant cast. It’s a pity that CW throw it to the wolves on a Friday night with ANTM as a lead in. It has so much potential but I doubt it would get another season on CW.
    Personally I think they should have kept Secret Circle and aired Nikita with it on Mondays and push 90210 or GG with ANTM on Fridays. But CW have never been known to make smart choices.

Comment by Sara – November 3, 2012 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Secret Circle was awesome & shouldn’t have been cancelled. Would have been a great lead in to Nikita this season instead of ANTM

Comment by Warren – November 3, 2012 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know its been said before, but its nice not to have to be worried about Fringe’s ratings.

Comment by ben – November 3, 2012 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • RIGHT? I kinda feel the same way about Private Practice.

Comment by Barbie Furtado – November 3, 2012 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • But because of it’s ratings it IS cancelled. Lack of interest.

Comment by Tracey – November 3, 2012 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CSI:NY. I’ve been here every week and saying it. Early renewal this year. No bubble. Just. Watch. It. :D

Comment by Barbie Furtado – November 3, 2012 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Im so happy about NIkita’s ratings, they are not the best, but they went up. I just keep thinking that the CW needs to promote it more. I keep hearing radio commercials (yes i still listen to radio) for Beauty and the Beast, Vampire Diaries, Arrow, and even Emily Owens.. I could understand the low ratings if the show was crappy, but is not. Nikita is one of the best shows out there. I guess since the CW doesn’t do enough to promote it the cast has taken it into their hands to do the best the can to promote it. I agree have all 3 main characters hit the talk shows more, it they cant go to LA at least the ones in New York…

Comment by mh – November 3, 2012 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The new daughter on LMS really sucks!! Bring back the old one!!!

Comment by Nicole – November 3, 2012 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have to say I am shocked by Reba’s show. It was god awful. I don’t understand how this even gets on the air. People thought this was funny or creative with the 70′s laugh track? I like her………I hated this!

Comment by Jo – November 3, 2012 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m still not sold on Reba as a sitcom star…(notthat I ever say her first series).
    Without Sara Rue and Lily Tomlin, the show would have been a total waste.

Comment by JB – November 3, 2012 08:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Grimm’s dip may have been because the charity concert ran over by a few minutes (on the West Coast, anyway), leading some (like me) to think it had been preempted. Luckily, I checked again a few minutes after the hour and found the show just starting. Fringe was totally preempted here in the Bay Area for a San Francisco Giants special (it did run at 11 PM). Good news for ABC and CBS, I guess.

Comment by arial2 – November 3, 2012 09:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Last week Mockingbird Lane and the special guest star on Grimm made some viewers interested in the show and it got a huge boost. This should be where it levels off and its great considering it was pulling below 1.5 previously.

Comment by POIFanatic – November 4, 2012 04:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hopefully whoever decided on the casting changes on Last Man is looking for a new job, terrible.

Comment by Eric – November 4, 2012 08:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t enjoy Last Man Standing even though I generally like the show. First of all I really miss the actress who played the oldest daughter. Not really feeling this new one. I also hated the political storyline. It would have been okay if not so heavy handed and unfunny.

Comment by Deena – November 4, 2012 08:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @Deena, I agree with everything you said. It was not funny at all! I usually like Tim Allen, but this was a terrible show.

Comment by Hope – November 4, 2012 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last Man Standing was a total disappointment, from the terrible storyline to he awful recasts. My husband didn’t even make it 5 minutes in and I doubt I’ll be watching anymore. The oldest daughter was my favorite, largely because of the actress portraying her.

Comment by Kristina – November 4, 2012 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really wonder what the producers of LMS were thinking. It’s tough enough to recast/retool one of the major characters, (plus two supporting characters associated with that one). Then they further complicate things by (re)introducing the character in a politically charged plot that’s going to be offputting to half the audience. Seems like strange decision-making.

Comment by onemovieeachday – November 5, 2012 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The new girl just dosn’t work. They better do something soon. They aged the kid too fast and get rid if the guy that plays the kids father. I agree with the other person he gets on my nerves. They made too many and wrong changes. I think they messed up.

Comment by Carol windhorst – December 30, 2012 12:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LMS has become too much of a political show… And the recasting of the older daughter was terrible….. I’m no longer a fan, or will watch……

It’s so predictable….. it’s sickening

Comment by Rick – January 11, 2013 11:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, I can’t stand the older daughter, it’s just weird, also the Alexandra Krosney got along with the other sisters more, they had ‘chemistry’ while this new one i feel as if they’re forcing something that isn’t there :L

Comment by Amz – February 9, 2013 12:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post