Fox Cuts Episode Order For Midseason Comedy The Goodwin Games in Half

Get More: News

Games over?

Not quite, but sources confirm to TVLine that Fox has trimmed the episode order for its midseason comedy The Goodwin Games from 13 to just seven.

According to an insider, the primary reason for the cutback was real estate: Fox recently expanded the seasons of Raising Hope, New Girl and The Mindy Project to 24 episodes apiece. (Rookie comedy Ben and Kate, meanwhile, has a 19-episode order.) The source insists that the seven episodes of Goodwin Games will see the light of day.

From How I Met Your Mother executive producers Carter Bays, Craig Thomas and Chris Harris, the comedy centers on a trio of estranged siblings — played by Becki Newton, Scott Foley and T.J. Miller — who must reconnect in order to inherit their late father’s fortune.

Comments (30)

• Darn, only fox comedy I was looking forward to. I expect them to cut Ben and Kate as well.

Comment by Mike – November 2, 2012 08:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ditto. I haven’t watched any new shows on Fox this year. My plan is The Following and this in the spring.

Comment by Jerry – November 2, 2012 08:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ben and kate still 18 episodes

Comment by Dieu – November 2, 2012 08:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ben and Kate was extended only to 19!

Comment by P. S. Shawn (@serialykinemask) – November 2, 2012 08:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is strange to me. At the upfronts in May they touted this series as the best of their upcoming comedies. And now to essentially bench it until April at the earliest?

Something fishy seems to be going on behind-the-scenes. Or maybe FOX is rethinking 2 full hours of comedies for 2013/14.

Comment by Tommy. – November 2, 2012 08:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t get this!!! This seemed to be one of their strongest comedies, and they decide to start it midseason, and now they’re cutting the episode order.

Comment by Christine – November 2, 2012 08:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I already decided not to watch once Jake Lacy was replaced.

Comment by Kelly – November 2, 2012 08:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, I was looking so forward to this show after seeing the initial trailer, and then they replaced Jake Lacy-and I was bummed, but I still want to see it because I love Scott Foley and Becki Newton. But I love the irony that Jake Lacy was cut, but then ended up on The Office for a full year (which is actually making me enjoy it again), whereas this show will only be on the air a fraction of that time.

Comment by Drewer – November 2, 2012 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is BENT all over again.

Comment by Che – November 2, 2012 08:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • +1

Comment by mia – November 2, 2012 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Damn I miss this show, I really loved David Walton and Amanda Peet together…

Comment by Apple – November 2, 2012 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s a shame I was really looking forward to it!

Comment by vissy – November 2, 2012 08:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Poor Becki newton keeps getting screwed. First Love Bites, now this.

Comment by Joe – November 2, 2012 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really like Ben & Kate. I hope it gets more episodes. There are too many comedies on Tuesday. It’s a tough night. I stick with FOX because all four of them are together. I DVR Happy Endings and B in Apartment 23, and watch Go On and New Normal online. It’s just too much. I wonder if FOX is rethinking their strategy?

Comment by Ashlyn – November 2, 2012 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This really looked like their best comedy. Fox is totally crap this year. I watch Raising Hope and Fringe. I used to watch just about everything. Other than the Following and The Goodwin Games (if it ever airs) I will probably not be watching any newer shows if they keep shows like The Mob Doctor over The Goodwin Games.

Comment by Paul – November 2, 2012 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That makes me sad. I’m really looking forward to this show. Fox is falling apart right now.

Comment by Stuart Ross (@WStuartross) – November 2, 2012 09:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bummer, I am really looking forward to this one and I don’t watch much else on Fox.

Comment by Kristina – November 2, 2012 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHAT?! I want Becki Newton back on TV every week! First Love Bites, and now this!

Comment by James – November 2, 2012 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was my most anticipated show! Sadness

Comment by Sims – November 2, 2012 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FOX has been struggling all fall. They’ve single handily ruined every new show they launched this season. FOX will air all 7 episodes of Goodwin Games and then decided to cancel it in May. Makes me wonder why there even bothering to air it in the first place. Networks don’t cut episodes of shows they believe in.

Comment by nate – November 2, 2012 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bitch in Apartment 23 was cut to 7, aired and now has a second season airing…

Comment by Conor – November 2, 2012 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, but that is ABC vs Fox

Comment by DreamRose311 – November 2, 2012 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Are you f$&@#*g kidding me!?

Someone needs fired (unless the show sucks). Fox really is sabotaging itself. They have completely obliterated the Xfactor with baseball (people can talk the talk about xfactor, but whether people like it or not, it was very stable until last week)

Back during the updronts, I got excited about Nashville, Following, Revolution, Arriw, Last Resort and most of all, this.

Comment by Kbro32 – November 2, 2012 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow this sucks I was liking forward to watching it and now I’ll have to wait till April at the earliest.

Comment by Jon – November 2, 2012 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That sucks :(
    I was hoping Fox would give it a slot behind Idol and then move it to the Tuesday block, but it looks like they won’t be doing that.

Comment by nick1372 – November 2, 2012 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It looks like Kevin Reiley is pulling a Jack Donaghy and tanking the network so Fox will be sold to the Paas corporation. He’s doing a very good job of it these last few years.

Comment by Greg – November 2, 2012 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • *sigh* goodwin games looked by far the best comedy, hope what we do get is great

Comment by Emily – November 2, 2012 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Man Becki Newton cannot catch a break. I hope it still airs, I am looking forward to it. Love Scott Foley as well.

Comment by Lauren – November 3, 2012 03:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Goodwin Games is funny,hope the network picks it up. They should advertise it more only found it by chance.

Comment by Smart tv liker – June 11, 2013 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. It’s a most pleasant surprise. Watched the pilot On Demand. Somebody really made a bad call – this show is a keeper. Reminded me of WINGS.

Comment by John – June 16, 2013 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post