Fox Cuts Episode Order For Midseason Comedy The Goodwin Games in Half

Games over?

Not quite, but sources confirm to TVLine that Fox has trimmed the episode order for its midseason comedy The Goodwin Games from 13 to just seven.

According to an insider, the primary reason for the cutback was real estate: Fox recently expanded the seasons of Raising Hope, New Girl and The Mindy Project to 24 episodes apiece. (Rookie comedy Ben and Kate, meanwhile, has a 19-episode order.) The source insists that the seven episodes of Goodwin Games will see the light of day.

From How I Met Your Mother executive producers Carter Bays, Craig Thomas and Chris Harris, the comedy centers on a trio of estranged siblings — played by Becki Newton, Scott Foley and T.J. Miller — who must reconnect in order to inherit their late father’s fortune.

1. Mike says:

Darn, only fox comedy I was looking forward to. I expect them to cut Ben and Kate as well.

2. Dieu says:

ben and kate still 18 episodes

3. Ben and Kate was extended only to 19!

4. Tommy. says:

This is strange to me. At the upfronts in May they touted this series as the best of their upcoming comedies. And now to essentially bench it until April at the earliest?

Something fishy seems to be going on behind-the-scenes. Or maybe FOX is rethinking 2 full hours of comedies for 2013/14.

5. Christine says:

I don’t get this!!! This seemed to be one of their strongest comedies, and they decide to start it midseason, and now they’re cutting the episode order.

6. Kelly says:

I already decided not to watch once Jake Lacy was replaced.

• Drewer says:

Yeah, I was looking so forward to this show after seeing the initial trailer, and then they replaced Jake Lacy-and I was bummed, but I still want to see it because I love Scott Foley and Becki Newton. But I love the irony that Jake Lacy was cut, but then ended up on The Office for a full year (which is actually making me enjoy it again), whereas this show will only be on the air a fraction of that time.

7. Che says:

This is BENT all over again.

8. vissy says:

That’s a shame I was really looking forward to it!

9. Joe says:

Poor Becki newton keeps getting screwed. First Love Bites, now this.

10. Ashlyn says:

I really like Ben & Kate. I hope it gets more episodes. There are too many comedies on Tuesday. It’s a tough night. I stick with FOX because all four of them are together. I DVR Happy Endings and B in Apartment 23, and watch Go On and New Normal online. It’s just too much. I wonder if FOX is rethinking their strategy?

11. Paul says:

This really looked like their best comedy. Fox is totally crap this year. I watch Raising Hope and Fringe. I used to watch just about everything. Other than the Following and The Goodwin Games (if it ever airs) I will probably not be watching any newer shows if they keep shows like The Mob Doctor over The Goodwin Games.

12. That makes me sad. I’m really looking forward to this show. Fox is falling apart right now.

13. Kristina says:

Bummer, I am really looking forward to this one and I don’t watch much else on Fox.

14. James says:

WHAT?! I want Becki Newton back on TV every week! First Love Bites, and now this!

15. Sims says:

This was my most anticipated show! Sadness

16. nate says:

FOX has been struggling all fall. They’ve single handily ruined every new show they launched this season. FOX will air all 7 episodes of Goodwin Games and then decided to cancel it in May. Makes me wonder why there even bothering to air it in the first place. Networks don’t cut episodes of shows they believe in.

17. Conor says:

Bitch in Apartment 23 was cut to 7, aired and now has a second season airing…

18. Kbro32 says:

Are you f$&@#*g kidding me!?

Someone needs fired (unless the show sucks). Fox really is sabotaging itself. They have completely obliterated the Xfactor with baseball (people can talk the talk about xfactor, but whether people like it or not, it was very stable until last week)

Back during the updronts, I got excited about Nashville, Following, Revolution, Arriw, Last Resort and most of all, this.

19. Jon says:

Wow this sucks I was liking forward to watching it and now I’ll have to wait till April at the earliest.

20. nick1372 says:

That sucks :(
    I was hoping Fox would give it a slot behind Idol and then move it to the Tuesday block, but it looks like they won’t be doing that.

21. Greg says:

It looks like Kevin Reiley is pulling a Jack Donaghy and tanking the network so Fox will be sold to the Paas corporation. He’s doing a very good job of it these last few years.

22. Emily says:

*sigh* goodwin games looked by far the best comedy, hope what we do get is great

23. Lauren says:

Man Becki Newton cannot catch a break. I hope it still airs, I am looking forward to it. Love Scott Foley as well.

24. Smart tv liker says:

The Goodwin Games is funny,hope the network picks it up. They should advertise it more only found it by chance.

• John says:

Agreed. It’s a most pleasant surprise. Watched the pilot On Demand. Somebody really made a bad call – this show is a keeper. Reminded me of WINGS.