Ratings: Big Bang Hits Season High, Vampire Diaries Draws Biggest Crowd Since January

Get More: Ratings, The X Factor

The Big Bang Theory RatingsBarring any deflation after a San Diego football preemption is factored out, The Big Bang Theory ticked up a tenth this week to a 5.1 demo rating, which would mark a season high.

In total audience, the CBS hitcom was steady at 15.7 million viewers.

UPDATE: Big Bang in fact improved to a 5.2 rating per the Nielsen finals, clinching that season high.

Fleshing out CBS’ night, Two and a Half Men (12.6 mil/3.6) was flat, Person of Interest (13.5 mil/3.0) ticked up a tenth in the demo and Elementary (10.5 mil/2.4) rose 9 percent.

Trailing Big Bang, ABC’s coverage of the CMA Awards drew Thursday’s second-largest audience (13.6 million) and rating (with a 3.8), albeit with all-time lows for the kudoscast.

Elsewhere:

* The X Factor results show did 6.2 mil and a 2.3, down 15 percent from Wednesday night and placing third in all ours.

RELATED | The X Factor Top 16 Results Recap: Did the Right Acts Go Home?

* The Vampire Diaries rose 10 and 15 percent to 3.2 mil and a 1.5 — its best tallies since the season opener — while Beauty and the Beast held steady with 1.7 mil/0.6. UPDATE: TVD‘s final audience of 3.3 mil marks its best draw since 1/5/12.

RELATED | Vampire Diaries Recap: Saving Elena Gilbert…?

What were you tuned into this Thursday night?

Comments (32)

• Does TV Line have “hitcom” trademarked?

Comment by Alex – November 2, 2012 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They shouldn’t. It’s stupid.

Comment by tripoli – November 2, 2012 09:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seems to me ratings for X Factor no where near good enough to justify time on the air, ridiculous salaries paid to judges and even more ridiculous prize money. And for what?? Fox has cancelled shows for less. Its about time one of these flopped

Comment by Boiler – November 2, 2012 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • great for the vampire diaries, episode was really awesome

Comment by Toms1€ – November 2, 2012 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ll go very cruel on this, but shouldn’t the ratings be a proof that everyone loves Elena apart from Stephan and near Damon tha “make everything be fun”? And that Stephan as a baddie and partner of Klaus (wihout the Ripper and the compelled thing) is much more interesting than he being a sad, dependent and really winning boyfriend?

Comment by Pearl – November 2, 2012 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does any other show get near the demo that BBT is gettingn now? A 5.1 is crazy! I DVR it and watch TVD live but BBT is just getting stronger with age. Geeks rule! Love them all!

Comment by GS – November 2, 2012 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Walking Dead got around 5.0 on the season premiere.

Comment by Peter – November 2, 2012 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i saw somewhere that TWD got 5.6 in the premiere.

Comment by Elyse – November 2, 2012 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I could be mistaken, but I’m pretty sure that the numbers are calculated differently for Cable vs Over-the-Air. So a Cable 5.0 is significantly less than a broadcast 5.0, because it’s based on the number of potential viewers, or some such.

Comment by onemovieeachday – November 2, 2012 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Walking Dead still had 10mill viewers in the premiere though I think

Comment by Shaun – November 2, 2012 09:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome for POI and TVD! Two of the best shows and they deserve those ratings and even more!

Comment by John – November 2, 2012 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad Elementary appears to be doing well. I’m enjoying it a lot.

Comment by Mikaylah – November 2, 2012 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love POI last night was terrific!!!

Comment by tahina – November 2, 2012 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, the episode was amazing!!

Comment by KCC – November 2, 2012 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was reluctant about POI and then happened to catch an episode recently: converted! Just enough humor to have it stand out from being just another NYC based cop(ish) procedural.

Comment by John – November 2, 2012 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I laughed more during PoI than BBT, and that was funny too! Can’t wait to see more hilarity next week with Reese and Zoe playing house! Love this show! Best drama on network TV.

Comment by kel – November 2, 2012 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes, some great lines. ‘when I do it in the park (clean a sniper rifle) people look at me strange’. Great dry delivery. Love the dog with Finch.

Had humor been a component through the first season?

Comment by John – November 2, 2012 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • IMO, S2 has a lot more humor than S1. POI is really going from strength to strength.

@kel – Reese and Zoe in 2×06 should be fun, but I am more excited about the flashbacks involving Finch/Nathan and Finch/Grace

Comment by Spoiler Junkie – November 2, 2012 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • “Did you get a good look at the men who were shooting at you” “I tried to Finch, but they were shooting at me”

Comment by KCC – November 2, 2012 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Both Elementary and TVD were great last night. Glad to see both of them doing well

Comment by Sara – November 2, 2012 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow X Factor is a huge failure.

Comment by gary – November 2, 2012 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BATB improves with each ep and I’m glad the numbers are holding steady.

Comment by stepf – November 2, 2012 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I missed having Last Resort on, but part of me is glad it wasn’t fourth again.

Comment by TigerNightmare – November 2, 2012 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC should have put CMA on next Wed. and made it lead into Nashville, 13 million could have boosted up Nashville ratings, just start the CMA earlier for it could end before 10/9pm and then air Nashville.

X Factor is a big flop, I dont like to talk bad about any shows but this show is really a flop it’s supports to be as big as AI and its no where near it and for a singing show to make just 6 million thats sad esp. when they have two great singers britny & Demi.

Comment by fernando rodriguez (@Fernanaberry) – November 2, 2012 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love how you update this, but last week you left the PoI beats Greys in finals in your HEADER, when the reverse happened in the finals

Comment by Craig – November 2, 2012 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sorry. Other priorities.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – November 2, 2012 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad Beauty and the Beast is staying steady…can only hope the ratings go up. Its a wonderful guilty pleasure. I’ll be heartbroken when it gets cancelled.

Comment by mia – November 2, 2012 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GO POI! I never thought one could be so much in love with a tv show!

Comment by Rai – November 2, 2012 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really enjoying B&tB. I’m actually enjoying it more than every other CW show I watch. I see it moving to Fridays though, come midseason. Cult will almost definitely air after TVD.

I can’t believe FOX renewed The X Factor. Those ratings are dreadful. Their best bet is to save the 3rd season for the summer of 2014. Air it with SYTYCD. These ratings would be good for the summer season. And the long hiatus would give them time to find adequate judges.

Comment by Blake – November 2, 2012 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hated the Elementary premiere, & wasn’t impressed by the second ep, but damn if it hasn’t grown on me since. Glad to see the ratings are good. I’ve never been happier that first impressions don’t always play out.

Comment by JP – November 2, 2012 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Big Bang Theory was up against mostly reruns on other networks, right? I noticed I had no NBC shows recorded on my DVR last night. However, the first thing I always watch when I get home on Thursday nights anyway is The League. (At least this time of year and when Community is not on the air.) And it did not disappoint, it was so awesome. Way funnier than anything Big Bang Theory could put on the air. I really wish they would make Rafi a full-time character. He steals the show in a very Charlie Day kind of way. He’s so creepy, but so hilarious at it. “I could watch her walk out of a room for hours. My sister’s body is bonkers. I hope you are hitting that.” “You know what, I have an idea.” “J*rk off party? I’m ready, let’s do this. I like where this is going..Do you have a sister?” “Yeah.” “Okay. I get to do her.” “Well, she lives in Milwaukee, she’s married to a dentist and she’s got IBS. So have at her.” “Oh, I will.”

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – November 2, 2012 09:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post