Political Animals Exclusive: No Season 2 For Greg Berlanti's Acclaimed USA Network Miniseries

Get More: Cancellations, News

USA Network has opted not to order additional episodes of Political Animals, its acclaimed-yet-ratings-challenged drama from Greg Berlanti and Laurence Mark and starring Sigourney Weaver.

Although billed as a “limited series event,” Berlanti told TVLine over the summer that there was potential to spin more stories about the Barrish family (fronted by Weaver) and intrepid journo Susan Berg (Carla Gugino).

RELATED | USA Cancels Two Series, Including Fairly Legal

But the ratings never matched the universal raves it garnered; the Washington D.C.-set saga averaged roughly 3.2 million viewers during its run. Still, there was hope that the undeniable cachet it brought to USA would lead to a Season 2 order.

“We are proud of Political Animals, our miniseries that attracted critical acclaim and impacted the cultural conversation this summer,” the network said in a statement. “It was a pleasure to work with Greg Berlanti and Laurence Mark and a powerful cast led by Sigourney Weaver. We look forward to collaborating again with these immensely talented creatives.”

In a statement released via Twitter on Friday, Berlanti called the project “one of the best and most rewarding experiences of my life,” adding, “The cast, the crew, writers, studio and USA were all a dream to work with. We all got to make what we set out to. Couldn’t be more proud!”

Comments (183)

• That ruined my day.

Comment by Stuart Rošś – November 2, 2012 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OK USA, now you’re just trying to piss me off!

Comment by Lena120 – November 2, 2012 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What a disappointment! I LOVED the show — compelling story line(s), superb casting and wonderful performances by every actor in the series. Failing to bring the show back is a travesty!!

Comment by Pat – November 2, 2012 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ditto – times two. Keep the crap – let the good stuff go. Shame on USA!!! Hopefuly another network will pick it up (X’ing fingers and toes).

Comment by Marie – November 2, 2012 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m so sad. Was having a terrible day already but that just clinched it.

Comment by Danielle H. – November 2, 2012 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is very disappointing. This is one of the very few times I’ve seen fantasic script writing for powerful women characters. It was a compelling story with great performances by everyone. Please, please someone pick this up and bring it forward!

Comment by Tina – November 3, 2012 11:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Very well said. I was really looking forward to watching the second season.

Comment by Sandi – November 6, 2012 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I wanted to see if she ran for office the second time. Great show. What is wrong with the producers that they won’t bring this back.

Comment by Betty – August 3, 2013 07:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am so deeply disappointed. Loved the show — would watch is twice in one night. Can’t say enough good things about the show. Hope another station picks it up. It has to be better advertised. If my cousin did not tell me about the show I would have never known about it. Please, Please come back!

Comment by Anya Feinberg – November 8, 2012 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m MORE than sad about the show NOT having a second season! It was the ONLY other show worth watching during the off season of SCANDAL! What are we going to do?

Comment by Portia wright – April 11, 2013 06:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Who can we contact to tell of our disappointment?
          Thanks, Anya

Comment by Anya Feinberg – April 30, 2013 05:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • awe..one of the best shows on TV….would have had more viewers on the Bravo Network main network channels …just dont think many people that would love the show would be turning to USA

Comment by Jay – December 8, 2012 06:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Of all shows to cancel. Such a shame. One show that was really on the cutting edge!

Comment by Laurel McDargh – December 17, 2012 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • typical of USA network……I watch alot of USA programs…NO MORE!!!!keep your stupid wrestling programs…..I will no longer tune into your channel…

Comment by lori – January 12, 2013 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Man. i Am soVery Upset RiteNow. i looking forward To Season2. ExcellentCasting, And SuperbScripts. And All My Favorite Stars. $@&!!$!

Comment by michael norfleet – May 26, 2013 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s August 2013 and I’m just hearing about this great series. Why is that? I watched the first episodes and was looking forward to next season and now I see it’s not coming back. I’m thinking that part of the reason is that a lot of people are not using the Comcast-like format anymore.and watch all the programming on their computers. It was a great little series.

Comment by maxine – August 10, 2013 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • When will you all learn that the ratings you are not going to get are on Netflix so just sell these great shows and just be the ones who make them. This was a very good show.

Comment by Carol St Clare – September 12, 2013 09:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Man, USA is really on the warpath this week. That’s 3/4 of their bubble shows axed in the last 48 hours.

Comment by Elle – November 2, 2012 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ok they did in:

Fairly Legal
      Political Animals
      And common law

What’s left on the bubble?

Comment by Me – November 2, 2012 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • necessary roughness?

Comment by Elyse – November 2, 2012 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yep…..I was just wondering if that is next.

Comment by Irishgirl – November 2, 2012 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I too was so upset with the cancellation of Fairly Legal, and now to find out Political Animals is also in the same boat. Too bad. Both were terrific shows.

Comment by JR – April 7, 2013 05:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ditto :/ What a great show.

Comment by Louis – November 2, 2012 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • USA sucks.

Comment by Sandra Oh (@TheRealSandraOh) – November 2, 2012 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, now I have no reason to watch USA.

Comment by Tyler Thurston (@reedthurston) – November 2, 2012 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You dislike “Suits”, “Covert Affairs” and “Burn Notice”, yet it was this mess that kept you watching USA??? Now we know who made Honey BooBoo a hit.

Comment by filmex2000 – November 2, 2012 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Suits, yes. Everything else… really?

Comment by Emily – November 2, 2012 11:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yes, really. I DID forget “White Collar”, which is also good. If you don’t think “Covert Affairs” is good, then you simply aren’t watching it.

‘Burn Notice” is the one I’d say is a guilty pleasure. It’s not gonna win Emmys but it is a lot of fun, particularly with Bruce Campbell on board.

Comment by filmex2000 – November 5, 2012 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You’re forgetting White Collar, is easily one of the best shows on the network:)

Comment by Sarah-Ann – November 3, 2012 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes, “Covert Affairs” and “Burn Notice” are not exactly cerebral, but I find them really entertaining! Hate that they have such short seasons. “Animals” had some excellent actors, but it was so soapy and cliched.

Comment by Lyn – November 3, 2012 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed!!

Comment by Sandi – November 6, 2012 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That is extremely disappointing. USA is just full of bad news lately.

Comment by Pamela Mullins – November 2, 2012 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is highly devastating. This is a great show!

Comment by Angelic – November 2, 2012 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was a soapy mess, and anybody that tuned in for a second season would have been welcome to it, IMHO.

The druggie son was idiotic but nothing was worse than Ciarán Hinds’ Foghorn Leghorn impression of Bill Clinton. That was as bad as television gets.

Comment by filmex2000 – November 2, 2012 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the only 2 shows I watched on USA were Fairly legal & Political Animals. That’s both of them gone now :(

Comment by Martina – November 2, 2012 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously?!?!? What the hell?!

Comment by Irishgirl – November 2, 2012 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wow so sad Sigourney weaver was amazing best show of the summer watched of over my normal Sunday night shows. why would you cancel. other than law and order svu USA you have really been missing the mark for entertainment until true show came out and then you go and cancel. USA you are such a disappointment.

Comment by shelby – November 2, 2012 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • such a disappointment. I really enjoyed this show.

Comment by Angela – November 2, 2012 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope all these cancellations at USA means that Necessary Roughness is going to be saved. I think that is their only bubble show left

Comment by Peppy – November 2, 2012 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does USA have a crapton of new shows in the hopper or something? Dear God. And does this mean that Sebastian Stan can sign to at least recur on Once?!?

Comment by Kathleen – November 2, 2012 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • One can only hope…

Comment by lll – November 2, 2012 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He already is recurring on OUaT. . .

Comment by A – November 2, 2012 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, he’s got Captain America 2 to shoot, so that’ll prevent him from being too involved in the second half of the season.

Comment by creativkook – November 2, 2012 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boo! I really enjoyed the “mini series”.

Comment by marge – November 2, 2012 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At least this frees up James Wolk to spread his sexiness on more shows. Return to Happy Endings!

Comment by Dryden – November 2, 2012 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I knew it was coming but it still hurts. I do not watch normally USA because their set of shows is too light for my taste. This was the only show I watched and now that it is gone so am I. That’s why ambitious shows like Political Animals should be on HBO or Showtime, not on basic cable. Shame I won’t see more of Ms. Weaver and co. on my TV screen.

Comment by Jinjeon – November 2, 2012 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree, although I think it could have done well on AMC or even TNT. USA shows are all campy and this one had more of a cerebral feel to it that would have done a lot better elsewhere, IMO.

Comment by lydiakj – November 2, 2012 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best show of the summer hands down. Too bad USA doesn’t care as much about quality as numbers.

Comment by SG – November 2, 2012 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bummer

Comment by Cindy – November 2, 2012 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Netflix, please do something!

Comment by Liam Tait – November 2, 2012 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That sucks. Carla Gugino needs a great project. I miss seeing her on tv weekly.

Comment by Melanie – November 2, 2012 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That is incredibly disappointing. I had hoped USA was going in the right direction of quality programming. Pity.

Comment by Janice – November 2, 2012 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was a great show. Sorry to hear it;s not coming back.

Comment by Rachel – November 2, 2012 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!! – That just sucks, screw you USA network!!

Comment by Martin – November 2, 2012 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is such a bad move for USA, that was an HBO caliber show that got me watching USA for the first time ever.

Comment by Josh – November 2, 2012 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This sucks. What are the odds of it getting picked up elsewhere?

Comment by Jodie – November 2, 2012 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • between fairly legal and political animals its been a bad week! Honestly gutted about this show, it had so much potential!

Comment by Kimberley Weir – November 2, 2012 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Should I hope that this means “Necessary Roughness” will get another season or be afraid USA will go 4 for 4 before the week is over? Man, it’s been a proverbial bloodbath over there this week!

Comment by Ashley – November 2, 2012 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Never watch USA shows (they are all too light and airy and they all look and feel the same) but I did watch this and now I’ll go back to not watching USA again.

Comment by Kevin – November 2, 2012 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So true. They all exude the same aura. I can’t put my finger on it… is it the lighting? The music? The dialogue? No matter what angle USA takes, somehow it always ends up feeling the same…

Comment by Emily – November 3, 2012 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess this will leave more room for USA to show NCIS marathons. Because I really need more of those in my life…

Comment by Jaime – November 2, 2012 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Every day another USA show to delete from my dvr:(

Comment by Sheryl – November 2, 2012 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So disappointed. Loved this show but I had a feeling it was going to be canceled.

Comment by Denise – November 2, 2012 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I never understood all the acclaim this show got. I mean it was good, but it was nowhere near “Amazing” like all the critics were saying.

Comment by Rrrrrr – November 2, 2012 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Noooooooooonnnnn !

Comment by Ben – November 2, 2012 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can Sebastian Stan be a series regular on once upon a time now?! Please!!

Comment by PRM92 – November 2, 2012 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I second that!

Comment by lll – November 2, 2012 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s what I’m talking about. I hate this for fans of this show, but this could open up doors for him to be a regular on OUAT. That would be the best news ever!

Comment by wednesday – November 2, 2012 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • STILL waiting on them to even acknowledge Burn Notice’s existence with all of these cancellations/pick ups.

Comment by Shari – November 2, 2012 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am really disappointed about this. The show was really good and deserved to picked up. Good Luck to the cast, crew, etc.

Comment by Jason A. Hall – November 2, 2012 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now my TV screen will now have even less Sebastian Stan on it. THANKS A LOT, USA.

Comment by Hime-sama – November 2, 2012 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thumbs down to USA network. First cancelling Fairly Legal and now this. PA was a great show!

Comment by ariel – November 2, 2012 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • USA is just cutting the dead weight. No series they cancelled recently was a ratings hit.

Comment by nate – November 2, 2012 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Common Law & Political Animals gone – no more reason for me to turn on USA.

Comment by Rain – November 2, 2012 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still don’t understand why this series didn’t do better in the ratings. Excellent cast, great stories, one of the most interesting and inventive shows I’ve seen in years and they cancel it, yet the most banal tripe I’ve ever surfed through still pollutes the airwaves… -sigh- People make me sad. Goodbye lovely Political Animals, you left us before your time.

Comment by Rachel – November 2, 2012 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s too bad. I really enjoyed the show and its great cast. USA made a mistake here.

Comment by Talia – November 2, 2012 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. It was fantastic. And I think this is a decision USA will regret in the long run. They shouldnt have put it on a packed Sunday night to begin with.

Comment by mia – November 2, 2012 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not surprising. Not only was it getting killed in the ratings thanks to crap scheduling but it had no buzz. It’s cast was amazing but I really wasn’t blown away by the writing.

Comment by dude – November 2, 2012 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Like seriously USA network, what we’re drinking before making this decision!!! PA was one of your best, if not the best dramatic show you had. YOU BETTER NOT TOUCH BURN NOTICE!!!!!!

Comment by Mr. Practical – November 2, 2012 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good, they got the trifecta right. Three awful shows are gone. Now let’s see if they can find something better to replace them.

Comment by Chuck Finley (AJ) – November 2, 2012 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m pretty sure you will enjoy the FIVE reality shows they ordered and are set to premiere on 2013.

Comment by αrmαиndo α. – November 2, 2012 04:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bummer! I enjoyed this show. Hey other loser networks, PICK IT UP!

Comment by BUMMER – November 2, 2012 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what a bad decision! I loved having both Sigourney Weaver and Carla Gugino on my tv every week!
    Damn…..

Comment by julia – November 2, 2012 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Didn’t watch, but these cancellations come soon after USA announced that they are ordering a few reality series.

Comment by Ryan – November 2, 2012 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BOO!! I loved this and was so hoping for more! Isn’t there a network that could take this over?

Comment by Dijea (@Dijea) – November 2, 2012 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • :(
    The only things I watch on USA are Psych and Political Animals. First they delayed Psych til the end of February, and now this isn’t coming back! But it ended on such a cliffhanger!! :( disappointing.

Comment by Callie – November 2, 2012 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post