Political Animals Exclusive: No Season 2 For Greg Berlanti's Acclaimed USA Network Miniseries

USA Network has opted not to order additional episodes of Political Animals, its acclaimed-yet-ratings-challenged drama from Greg Berlanti and Laurence Mark and starring Sigourney Weaver.

Although billed as a “limited series event,” Berlanti told TVLine over the summer that there was potential to spin more stories about the Barrish family (fronted by Weaver) and intrepid journo Susan Berg (Carla Gugino).

RELATED | USA Cancels Two Series, Including Fairly Legal

But the ratings never matched the universal raves it garnered; the Washington D.C.-set saga averaged roughly 3.2 million viewers during its run. Still, there was hope that the undeniable cachet it brought to USA would lead to a Season 2 order.

“We are proud of Political Animals, our miniseries that attracted critical acclaim and impacted the cultural conversation this summer,” the network said in a statement. “It was a pleasure to work with Greg Berlanti and Laurence Mark and a powerful cast led by Sigourney Weaver. We look forward to collaborating again with these immensely talented creatives.”

In a statement released via Twitter on Friday, Berlanti called the project “one of the best and most rewarding experiences of my life,” adding, “The cast, the crew, writers, studio and USA were all a dream to work with. We all got to make what we set out to. Couldn’t be more proud!”

• Lena120 says:

OK USA, now you’re just trying to piss me off!

• Pat says:

What a disappointment! I LOVED the show — compelling story line(s), superb casting and wonderful performances by every actor in the series. Failing to bring the show back is a travesty!!

• Marie says:

ditto – times two. Keep the crap – let the good stuff go. Shame on USA!!! Hopefuly another network will pick it up (X’ing fingers and toes).

• Danielle H. says:

I’m so sad. Was having a terrible day already but that just clinched it.

• Tina says:

This is very disappointing. This is one of the very few times I’ve seen fantasic script writing for powerful women characters. It was a compelling story with great performances by everyone. Please, please someone pick this up and bring it forward!

• Anya Feinberg says:

I am so deeply disappointed. Loved the show — would watch is twice in one night. Can’t say enough good things about the show. Hope another station picks it up. It has to be better advertised. If my cousin did not tell me about the show I would have never known about it. Please, Please come back!

• Portia wright says:

I’m MORE than sad about the show NOT having a second season! It was the ONLY other show worth watching during the off season of SCANDAL! What are we going to do?

• Jay says:

awe..one of the best shows on TV….would have had more viewers on the Bravo Network main network channels …just dont think many people that would love the show would be turning to USA

• Of all shows to cancel. Such a shame. One show that was really on the cutting edge!

• lori says:

typical of USA network……I watch alot of USA programs…NO MORE!!!!keep your stupid wrestling programs…..I will no longer tune into your channel…

• michael norfleet says:

Man. i Am soVery Upset RiteNow. i looking forward To Season2. ExcellentCasting, And SuperbScripts. And All My Favorite Stars. $@&!!$!

• maxine says:

It’s August 2013 and I’m just hearing about this great series. Why is that? I watched the first episodes and was looking forward to next season and now I see it’s not coming back. I’m thinking that part of the reason is that a lot of people are not using the Comcast-like format anymore.and watch all the programming on their computers. It was a great little series.

• When will you all learn that the ratings you are not going to get are on Netflix so just sell these great shows and just be the ones who make them. This was a very good show.

1. Elle says:

Man, USA is really on the warpath this week. That’s 3/4 of their bubble shows axed in the last 48 hours.

2. Louis says:

Ditto :/ What a great show.

3. Well, now I have no reason to watch USA.

• filmex2000 says:

You dislike “Suits”, “Covert Affairs” and “Burn Notice”, yet it was this mess that kept you watching USA??? Now we know who made Honey BooBoo a hit.

• Emily says:

Suits, yes. Everything else… really?

• filmex2000 says:

Yes, really. I DID forget “White Collar”, which is also good. If you don’t think “Covert Affairs” is good, then you simply aren’t watching it.

‘Burn Notice” is the one I’d say is a guilty pleasure. It’s not gonna win Emmys but it is a lot of fun, particularly with Bruce Campbell on board.

• Sarah-Ann says:

You’re forgetting White Collar, is easily one of the best shows on the network:)

• Lyn says:

Yes, “Covert Affairs” and “Burn Notice” are not exactly cerebral, but I find them really entertaining! Hate that they have such short seasons. “Animals” had some excellent actors, but it was so soapy and cliched.

• Sandi says:

Agreed!!

4. That is extremely disappointing. USA is just full of bad news lately.

5. Angelic says:

This is highly devastating. This is a great show!

• filmex2000 says:

It was a soapy mess, and anybody that tuned in for a second season would have been welcome to it, IMHO.

The druggie son was idiotic but nothing was worse than Ciarán Hinds’ Foghorn Leghorn impression of Bill Clinton. That was as bad as television gets.

6. Martina says:

the only 2 shows I watched on USA were Fairly legal & Political Animals. That’s both of them gone now :(

7. Irishgirl says:

Seriously?!?!? What the hell?!

• shelby says:

Wow so sad Sigourney weaver was amazing best show of the summer watched of over my normal Sunday night shows. why would you cancel. other than law and order svu USA you have really been missing the mark for entertainment until true show came out and then you go and cancel. USA you are such a disappointment.

8. Angela says:

such a disappointment. I really enjoyed this show.

9. Peppy says:

I hope all these cancellations at USA means that Necessary Roughness is going to be saved. I think that is their only bubble show left

10. Kathleen says:

Does USA have a crapton of new shows in the hopper or something? Dear God. And does this mean that Sebastian Stan can sign to at least recur on Once?!?

11. marge says:

Boo! I really enjoyed the “mini series”.

12. Dryden says:

At least this frees up James Wolk to spread his sexiness on more shows. Return to Happy Endings!

13. Jinjeon says:

I knew it was coming but it still hurts. I do not watch normally USA because their set of shows is too light for my taste. This was the only show I watched and now that it is gone so am I. That’s why ambitious shows like Political Animals should be on HBO or Showtime, not on basic cable. Shame I won’t see more of Ms. Weaver and co. on my TV screen.

• lydiakj says:

Totally agree, although I think it could have done well on AMC or even TNT. USA shows are all campy and this one had more of a cerebral feel to it that would have done a lot better elsewhere, IMO.

14. SG says:

Best show of the summer hands down. Too bad USA doesn’t care as much about quality as numbers.

15. Liam Tait says:

Netflix, please do something!

16. Melanie says:

That sucks. Carla Gugino needs a great project. I miss seeing her on tv weekly.

17. Janice says:

That is incredibly disappointing. I had hoped USA was going in the right direction of quality programming. Pity.

18. Rachel says:

This was a great show. Sorry to hear it;s not coming back.

19. Martin says:

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!! – That just sucks, screw you USA network!!

20. Josh says:

This is such a bad move for USA, that was an HBO caliber show that got me watching USA for the first time ever.

21. Jodie says:

This sucks. What are the odds of it getting picked up elsewhere?

22. Kimberley Weir says:

between fairly legal and political animals its been a bad week! Honestly gutted about this show, it had so much potential!

23. Ashley says:

Should I hope that this means “Necessary Roughness” will get another season or be afraid USA will go 4 for 4 before the week is over? Man, it’s been a proverbial bloodbath over there this week!

24. Kevin says:

Never watch USA shows (they are all too light and airy and they all look and feel the same) but I did watch this and now I’ll go back to not watching USA again.

• Emily says:

So true. They all exude the same aura. I can’t put my finger on it… is it the lighting? The music? The dialogue? No matter what angle USA takes, somehow it always ends up feeling the same…

25. Jaime says:

I guess this will leave more room for USA to show NCIS marathons. Because I really need more of those in my life…

26. Sheryl says:

Every day another USA show to delete from my dvr:(

27. Denise says:

So disappointed. Loved this show but I had a feeling it was going to be canceled.

28. Rrrrrr says:

I never understood all the acclaim this show got. I mean it was good, but it was nowhere near “Amazing” like all the critics were saying.

29. Ben says:

Noooooooooonnnnn !

30. PRM92 says:

Can Sebastian Stan be a series regular on once upon a time now?! Please!!

31. Shari says:

STILL waiting on them to even acknowledge Burn Notice’s existence with all of these cancellations/pick ups.

32. Jason A. Hall says:

I am really disappointed about this. The show was really good and deserved to picked up. Good Luck to the cast, crew, etc.

33. Hime-sama says:

Now my TV screen will now have even less Sebastian Stan on it. THANKS A LOT, USA.

34. ariel says:

Thumbs down to USA network. First cancelling Fairly Legal and now this. PA was a great show!

35. nate says:

USA is just cutting the dead weight. No series they cancelled recently was a ratings hit.

36. Rain says:

Common Law & Political Animals gone – no more reason for me to turn on USA.

37. Rachel says:

I still don’t understand why this series didn’t do better in the ratings. Excellent cast, great stories, one of the most interesting and inventive shows I’ve seen in years and they cancel it, yet the most banal tripe I’ve ever surfed through still pollutes the airwaves… -sigh- People make me sad. Goodbye lovely Political Animals, you left us before your time.

38. Talia says:

That’s too bad. I really enjoyed the show and its great cast. USA made a mistake here.

39. mia says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. It was fantastic. And I think this is a decision USA will regret in the long run. They shouldnt have put it on a packed Sunday night to begin with.

40. dude says:

Not surprising. Not only was it getting killed in the ratings thanks to crap scheduling but it had no buzz. It’s cast was amazing but I really wasn’t blown away by the writing.

41. Mr. Practical says:

Like seriously USA network, what we’re drinking before making this decision!!! PA was one of your best, if not the best dramatic show you had. YOU BETTER NOT TOUCH BURN NOTICE!!!!!!

42. Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

Good, they got the trifecta right. Three awful shows are gone. Now let’s see if they can find something better to replace them.

43. BUMMER says:

Bummer! I enjoyed this show. Hey other loser networks, PICK IT UP!

44. julia says:

what a bad decision! I loved having both Sigourney Weaver and Carla Gugino on my tv every week!
    Damn…..

45. Ryan says:

Didn’t watch, but these cancellations come soon after USA announced that they are ordering a few reality series.

46. BOO!! I loved this and was so hoping for more! Isn’t there a network that could take this over?

47. Callie says:

The only things I watch on USA are Psych and Political Animals. First they delayed Psych til the end of February, and now this isn’t coming back! But it ended on such a cliffhanger!! :( disappointing.