A New Hope: 6 Ideas for a Star Wars TV Series

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away… Sounds like a great plot for a new ABC show, doesn’t it?

Along those lines, Disney’s recent acquisition of the Star Wars empire got us to wondering whether about the franchise’s long-rumored, live action TV adaptation.

It would make sense for the project to be set after the events of Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith but before Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope. (For the uninitiated, that’s after Anakin becomes Darth Vader but before Luke is put on the path to stop him.)

RELATED | Exclusive First Look: Star Wars Meets Disney Channel as A.N.T. Farm Visits Skywalker Ranch

With respect to all of the novels, blog posts, video games and fan fiction offerings that have already covered the subject, we humbly put forth a few ideas for a new Star Wars-based series. Our one request to Mickey: No holiday special this time around, OK?

Flip through the gallery below, then hit the comments with your ideas. And please remember, always use the commenting Force for good, not evil.

1. michelle says:

I just want a NJO movie, with Jaina and Jacen Solo. If I can’t get that, then whats the point?

• Brian says:

Could not agree more, just make the whole thing a TV miniseries

• sarah says:

YES!!!! THIS!!!!

• M3rc Nate says:

This is my idea for the new movie trilogy. That way like in the books, they can center on characters people will have a attachment too (Leia and Han’s kids) , you get a warrior princess and Chewies nephew all as Jedi’s, being taught by Luke (played by Mark Hamil) and cameos by Carrie Fisher and Harrison ford as the parents. Bam..perfect new Star Wars trilogy. It has the appeal of all ages, it has blasts from the past, its main characters are 16 year old new Jedi’s with a connection to the original characters.

• Leslie says:

I can’t agree more! I want a Yuuzhan Vong mini series!!

2. Britta Unfiltered says:

Abed for Han Solo!

3. Lucasfiilm has been developing a show set between III and IV called Underworld for years now.

4. Brandon says:

I love the idea of a show that follows the exploits of a young Han or young Leia!

5. Jerm says:

Hmm. I think star wars TV would be great! They could do one based off of Star Wars: The Force Unleased! It could star Sam Witwer who was in the game. Each episode could be about him tracking down another jedi to destroy or something… even young Leia appeared in that game, so she’d be part of the show a little. maybe making random appearances sometimes.

6. Josh says:

I’d rather it skip ahead 100 years or so to when Luke is dead and shows up as a ghost to a new young Jedi.

7. Chicago Dan says:

Didn’t work so well for Young Indiana Jones.

8. You know, you could combine ideas 3,4, and 5 into one really big Skywalkers show that jumps back and forth between the three storylines.

9. Nicole says:

No show about Eowks of any kind, but I’d love a Young Obi-Wan or Qui-Gon Jinn. I want to see how Jedi actually became Jedi back in the day.

10. wordsmith says:

I actually really like the idea of a “tales of the bounty hunters” type show – it lets them play in that world without having to deal as directly with all of the baggage of the established storylines.

11. Matt says:

Of the ones listed above, the Han Solo origin story has the most potential. Han was always the character with the most interesting background – even Leia’s story as a rebel spy was only just getting started when she’s captured by Vader. The Han Solo trilogy has Han mixing it up with the empire, the huts, and an entire network of criminals, scoundrels, and smugglers before the OT even starts.

Frankly, I think it would be even better to invent a new character or characters, and set it either in the future (after the OT), or in the very distant past (way before the PT). Maybe show what came before the old republic. Or the aftermath of the empire’s fall, and the formation of the “new republic”.

12. Kvivik says:

Give me the next generation – Ben Skywalker, Jaina and Jacen Solo. Every once in a while maybe Mark Hamill or some of the others could make guest appearances.
    But NO EWOKS!!!! Please please, no ewoks. (this from a person whose fave star wars film is Return of the Jedi)

13. Iron Ice says:

I think Starz needs to start revving up their partnership with Disney and bring some of these fringe adult type characters from Star Wars Expanded and Marvel to the small screen. They should really tie themselves into the House of Mouse and be able to start smashing their competition in premium cable. Spartacus and Boss should only be the start.

14. madbengalsfan85 says:

Lots and lots of Han Solo would make me happy

15. JAson says:

It’s pretty well known the series is called Star Wars Underworld and focuses on Bounty Hunters. They already have 50 scripts written so I doubt that will change.

16. Templar says:

For starters, a kids show on the Disney channel about the adventures of the Ewoks. C3PO and R2D2 start their own junkyard for droids [Odd Couple meets Sanford & Son]. Michael Ealy or Shemar Moore as a young Lando in Cloud City.

17. ben says:

Firefly with wookies = win!

18. BTM says:

1. Battle of the Cantina Bands. Actual battles.
    2. It’s the Muppet Show! With our special guest, Mr. Darth Vader!
    3. The Jar Jar Binks Club. Each week, Annette Funicello, Ryan Gosling, etc., take turns beating him to a bloody pulp.
    4. Survivor Alderaan. Each week, someone is voted to escape the planet. Last one there gets zapped by the Death Star.
    5. Super Sweet Sixteen Am I. A teenaged Padawan graduates from Jedi training and has an aaawesome party! Possibly includes beating Jar Jar while blindfolded.

19. Dillan says:

Darth Vader’s Rise to Power is the one one that’s interesting for me. Though a show about Bounty Hunters would rock!

20. Gilda says:

I would watch a Boba Fett show. It’s popular and Star Wars-y enough to draw attention but distant enough from the leads to not be a cop out.

21. Alan says:

no to a young luke story, dont get me wrong i love the guy but i just wouldnt find that interesting in the slightest. the stories of cloud city and young han however sounds like a fantastic idea if they were combined, we could finally see why han would go to lando for help when all we have seen so far is lando betraying him, maybe there could be a storyline somewhere during the run which could bring in a young leia on some sort of princess duties. obviously the bounty hunters would fit in nicely into this seedy world as well

22. Anna says:

I think I’d like a Young!Han show best. But the casting has to be PERFECT; otherwiese… I mean – it’s Harrison Ford’s character, for god’s sake! Young!Han HAS to be perfect!

23. charissa29 says:

I would like to see the final trilogy, the rebuilding of the galaxy, play out on tv. Tv is a great place to put something like that as we will never get them as movies.

24. Leslie says:

Four words.. HAND OF THRAWN miniseries!!!

25. cj says:

Young Han. smuggler. Pre star wars post revenge of the Sith. As the rebellion is starting to get noticed. Han Part of a crew… Eventually ends up with the falcon. Meets cheque along the way. Don’t care that they did this already in a book. And I hope the new movies have nothing to do with the books… which i know they won’t… so I guess I should save I hope people aren’t expecting that. I guarantee disney is wiping away everything post return of the jedi.

26. Found some great ideas online that make sense, and I added my own, but here is my cast (so far) if they did a series based on Star Wars: Legacy…

Crew of the Mynock:
    Cade Skywalker: Warren Kole, Josh Holloway, Tahmoh Penniket
    Jariah Syn: Shemar Moore or Harold Perineau
    Deliah Blue: Sarah Shahi

Jedi:
    Wolf Sazen: Oded Fehr or Naveen Andrews
    Shado Vao: Sendhil Ramamurthy
    Luke Skywalker (Force Ghost): Mark Hamill
    Kol Skywalker: Jeffrey Dean Morgan
    Bantha Rawk: Alan Tudyk

One Sith:
    Darth Krayt: Jamie Bamber or Peter Wingfield
    Darth Talon: Tricia Helfer
    Darth Nihl: Jake Abel (Adam from SPN)
    Darth Wyyrlock: Ian McShane or Ron Perlman

Marasiah Fel: Erica Durance
    Antares Draco: Adrian Grenier
    Azlyn Rae: Sprague Grayden

27. jdstorm says:

Coming to ABC Friday Nights. 8pm Shield. 9pm Starwars 10pm Last Resort

28. Mike says:

I think a series based on Rogue Squardron or Wraith Squadron would be great. You could base it around either Corran Horn or Face Loran.

29. baned0n says:

Time Jump a few decades from Return of the Jedi. Luke has rebuilt the Jedi Academy and is training new, young Jedi. Mark Hamill can reprise his role for the pilot. Story follow the trials and temptations that face young padawans.

30. Mary Ann McKinnon says:

I just want to see the next generation, with small parts for Han, Luke, and Leia. That was the original intent for the final trilogy and I think it should be the next trilogy.

31. davis6524 says:

Great!! Let’s do it!! Movies,tv shows I love it!! BIG BUCKS COMMING!!!