Fairly Legal Cancelled After Two-Season Run

USA Network has opted not to renew Fairly Legal for a third season.

“Sarah Shahi is undoubtedly a star and we’re thrilled she’ll be joining our sister network NBC on Chicago Fire,” the cabler said Thursday in a statement to our sister site Deadline, which first reported the news. “We are proud of Fairly Legal and thank the very talented cast and crew for two fantastic seasons.”

RELATED | USA Network Sets Return Dates for Suits, White Collar and Necessary Roughness

As mentioned above, Shahi recently booked a multi-ep arc on NBC’s freshman fireman drama, playing a love interest for Taylor Kinney’s Lt. Kelly Severide.

It was announced Wednesday that USA Network has also scrapped Common Law after just one season.

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Cancellations, News

1. indigo15 says:

Sad about this one. I really liked this show, and I liked the retooled second season. Great cast, too. Loved the dynamic between Sarah Shahi and Ryan Johnson.

• Brooke says:

Me too. I liked it quite a bit during season 1, but Kate really grew on me during season 2 and I liked seeing the bits of growth in her character and with her and Lauren’s relationship. I’m gonna miss Kate Reed and her passion for fairness.

2. GeoDiva says:

Bummer….. :-(!

3. D says:

What? Noooooo!
    Well, but at least one thing is good, no more of Ben & Kate’s childish relationship. Gonna miss Lauren tho.

• tp says:

I agree about their relationship. It turned me off of the show. I enjoyed the first season then they had to bring on the Ben character and it ruined it for me.

• tvfan says:

I agree, I liked the first season, but was worried she seemed to get away with too much. I hated the retooled version and gave it two episodes before giving up.

4. what2watch says:

oh shoot….. I like this show…

5. Martyna says:

That’s a shame, I really enjoyed it and was looking forward to it.

6. Janet Marie says:

Darn it, this was by far one of my FAVE shows! Sarah Shahi needs to be on my TV….

7. Liza180 says:

I can’t say I’m surprised. What they did to the second season didn’t help at all. I tried to like the show, but it never really found its footing. I liked Lauren and the ex husband DA. Ben, however, was a bad addition to the cast all around. His character had no depth beyond annoyance.

• rainey13 says:

Totally agree – if they felt they had to re-tool after the first season, there were much better ways to do it than by adding Ben. He was annoying, and I was hard-pressed to see any reason Kate should give him the time of day.

8. jennae says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

9. Laura says:

Nooo this really sucks… I loved the show. :(

10. qeee says:

I only liked S1. Only saw the first episode of S2 and didn’t enjoy it especially the addition of Ben.

11. julia says:

Bummer! I enjoyed this show. I thought the “Lauren” character was ridiculous most of the time (and way too skinny), but thoroughly enjoyed the rest of the cast. Hope they all get new jobs!

12. JDuro says:

Cancellation is sad to see but understandable. I’m a huge fan of Sarah Shahi. She brings so much to whatever show she’s on. I still miss her and Damian Lewis on Life, one of the most overlooked series. Hopefully Shahi will soon find a hit series worthy of her.

• Cheryl says:

Yes, THIS!! I still go back and watch Life every year or two. It was one of the greatest shows that had that bad luck to be a pilot the year of the writer’s strike. And as amazing as Homeland is, I can’t help but miss Damien’s lighter, quirkier side when he was on Life. Glad that he’s finally appreciated for how amazing he is. Hopefully that will happen for Sarah soon, but I have a hard time believing that Chicago Fire will be her vehicle to stardom…

13. Ana says:

Too bad for Sarah but the show was less than stellar. I liked it during S1 but on S2 when they added that awful Ben character I jumped ship.

14. Alia says:

Ben Grogan killed this tv show, this character was a BIG mistake. I’m not surprised :(, also with Common Law cancellation. I really like both.

15. Cam3150 says:

Loved the first season. Loved Kate and Justin. Loved Kate’s relationship w/ her step mom. Hated season 2 and the new guy. Not sure why they felt the need to add him. I stopped watching after about the 5th ep and always planned to get caught up at some point. Guess there’s no
    need now. It’s a shame.

16. Kate says:

I really liked the first season of the show, but didn’t enjoy the second season very much. The changes they made just made it frustrating. Still, I’m a bit bummed there won’t be any resolution to it.

17. Loved Fairly Legal sooooo much! Sucks…:(

18. Jinjeon says:

Now that both “Common Law” and “Fairly Legal” are canceled there’s money for “Political Animals” second season. Bring Elaine Barrish and her dysfunctional family back!

19. MJG says:

NOOOOO WAYYYY…. I hate when USA network does this…… NOT watching anything else from them… it’s not the first time and this show was amazing…. was looking forward to season 3…. THIS REALLY SUCKS!! :(

20. taran63 says:

Can’t say that I’m too surprised to hear this. Season 1 wasn’t bad, but I couldn’t really get into season 2. I thought Sarah did a good job though, so I hope I continue to see her on TV.

21. cpreynolds says:

I love this show!

22. Kenny says:

Ah does anyone remember the good old days of Burn Notice, Monk, L&O: CI, Psych, season 1 of White Collar& Royal Pains, and walker reruns, USA was so awesome back then…but at least now they are trying to trim some fat off their schedule. Yes some of these shows still exist but USA was at the top of its game around 2007-2009, or maybe i’m just nostalgic

23. Lori says:

It had promise, but the second season was just awful.

• M3rc Nate says:

Couldnt agree more. Really enjoyed the first season (came to it a HUGE Sarah Shahi fan from Life, also a big fan of Micheal T from BSG). With the “change in direction/tone” they totally ruined the second season. To get more viewers they went for the love triangle, added a “bad boy with a heart of gold, whos mysterious”, and had her ex husband be a cheater (i guarantee that wasnt part of his character until tone change). So they ruined the show IMO. I was watching only really to support previously mentioned actors.

Also the show didnt really from the beginning have good direction, no end game goal, no plot line or mystery or anything. It was a show about a 30-something year old woman who was a mess in every day but her job…except at her job she was also a mess. There isn’t enough meat there, uncommon for USA but the show seemed to be created around a big female lead, instead of a story/plot created and then finding a female to lead said story.

Sad shes had bad luck with TV shows, Life was FANTASTIC and Sarah Shahi staring on a USA network TV show? It should have been a slam dunk .Im sad about her gig on Chicago Fire, first off the show is so inaccurate in regards to the firefighters and their duties, also its mega dramatized etc…and also i feel bad, when your a 20-30-something year old hot woman, it seems the only guest starring gigs you get are playing someones romantic interest aka making out with a bunch of random strangers (actors) and revealing skin on TV. Lol maybe its just me but if i was married to a actress i wouldn’t be happy about that.

Overall, love Sarah Shahi! Hope she gets another show and theres more plot/story to work with. Let her be badass. She could easily keep up with Neil, take on Annie, argue a case against Harvey, be a nemesis of Micheal Westons…etc. Let alone her lead her own show again.

24. Aiden says:

So bummed about this. Best shows USA got is Suits, Covert Affairs, and Fairly Legal. Too bad, this show had an amazing cast too.

25. Kelly says:

Wow…I’m surprised to see so many negative reactions to Ben’s character. I, for one, really enjoyed his character’s addition and am SO disappointed we won’t get to see a season 3. Congrats USA network…you’ve sufficiently succeeded in bumming me out.

26. Janneke says:

Bummer! Really enjoyed last season when they introduced Ben =(

27. Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

Not surprised. Two good calls by USA. Now if they just pull the trifecta and get rid of Political Animals.

28. Nina says:

Thank you USA, for canceling the one blemish on your network. This show was terrible, but I do agree with others here that some of the individual cast members were good. Get Baron Vaughn on another USA show, stat!

29. jericho says:

Meh…. I am not surprised by this either. As much as I love Sarah Shahi the show just never jumped. I really hope she gets a better gig than her current guest arc on the dismal Chicago Fire. She deserves to be front and center…. Maybe they should bring back Life! Oh … can’t cause Homeland is awesome.

30. cuius says:

Is this the end of the female lawyer thing? Closely following the end of the Jersey one, perhaps the networks have finally got it out of their system.

31. Alex says:

TV Line definitely foreshadowed this yesterday when they posted that it had been canceled in the article about Sarah guest starting on Chicago Fire before it was actually official. Glad to see USA getting focusing on its best shows, Suits, White Collar, and Psych, and getting rid of the less good stuff.

32. LynnH says:

Damn. I really like this show. And for me, Ben was a bright spot. I really hope we see Ryan Johnson in something else because he’s a terrific actor. I read somewhere that he’s starring in a new Aussie film. Love Baron Vaughn, although I’m sure he’ll be scooped up by another show. And Sarah, well, she’s amazing. I still miss her as Reese on Life. I’ll miss Judge Nicastro!

33. alyssa says:

NO NO NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOO! This was my second favorite USA show after Psych. Some absolutely amazing storytelling and Sarah Shahi is just plain incredible.
    My soul hurts now.

34. Ella says:

I loved the first season but Sarah Shahi did absolutely nothing to make Kate more likeable in season 2, Ben was a tool and the break-up of Kate and Justin completely devastated me. So I can’t say i’m disappointed. Having to sit through Ben and Kate’s googly eyes and a potential Justin and Lauren hook up would have been painful.

35. wordsmith says:

Okay, it’s definitely sad, but I can deal with losing both Common Law and Fairly Legal – just as long as they don’t give the axe to Necessary Roughness as well. That would just be too much to bear.

36. Kathy says:

I follow Michael Trucco on Twitter and tweet like two days ago that show was probably not coming back. With him doing an arc on Revenge and the announcement of Sarah going to Chicago Fire, something told me this was going to happen, so not surprised.

37. Ethel says:

Liked Common Law better than Fairly Legal but will miss them both.Or is it Michael Trucco I will miss???? Glad to hear he will be on Revenge but I also thought he was going to be back on How I Met…etc.

38. Truly Roxie says:

I am sad this show is going away as well. Now there are two less shows to watch on USA. They dominated my DVR last year. Don’t have any interest in any reality TV, so if they’re cancelling these shows for something like that, they’re losing out on a viewer here.

39. Lilu says:

This sucks, i loved both seasons….

• BonnieW says:

I loved both seasons, too….and second season more than the first. I’m in the minority here but I liked Ben’s addition to the show. The last few episodes will remain on my DVR.

40. Maria says:

Why? First In plan sight had the most dissapointing last season and now they’re cancling the other fun, female driven show?! Sucks! Sucks big time!

41. Janet Marie says:

I’ve been a Sarah fan since, wait for it, The L Word – and will follow her anywhere she does – :)

42. Jay K says:

i don’t care who knows it, but ryan johnson rocked my world!! i hope he will be on another show soon! i think she was more of a ncis/covert affairs type and he is more of psych/scrubs kind of guy which is why they were awesome together! sorry but that aussie was sexy – hope to see him on tv again soon!!!

43. WHAT ARE THEY DOING????? WHAT HAPPENS WITH BEN AND KATE?? AND WHAT ABOUT LEONARDO? AND LAUREN? AND JUSTIN??? WHAAAAAAT????? OHMYGOD ARE THEY TRYING TO KILL MEEEE????? ARE THEY SERIOUS???? OHMYGOODNESS MY SATURDAYS HAVE DIED. AS IN DEAD.

44. Reblogged this on The Adorkable Timelord and commented:
    WHAT ARE THEY TRYING TO DO TO ME???? OHMYGOODNESS WHAT ABOUT BENEDICT AND KATE? AND LEO? AND LAUREN? AND JUSTIN? OHMYGOODNESS. NOT COOL. GOSH, USA. WHAT THE FRACK.

45. Mark says:

Add me to the “Ben ruined the show” category. I enjoyed season 1 well enough, but Ben and the “love triangle” drove me up a wall in season 2. Not really sorry to see this one go.

46. Kim says:

THIS SUCKS! DAMN USA! YOU HAVE CANCELLED 2 OF THE SHOWS I LIKED!

47. Mary says:

I agree, that sucks! Ben grew on me as the season went on. I did want to see where that one went. Damn it!

48. Chris says:

Fairly Legal was a breath of fresh air. A new concept on legal shows and great fun to watch. I am a big fan of USA shows LOVW WHITE COLLAR AND SUITS!! Agree you can scrap Common Law. Ok concept but no chemistry with the actors

49. Jamey says:

Loved this show and it was one of the good ones! Loved Ben too! Worried that USA doesnt get what made them special!

50. gutted about this one. definitely in the minority here but i was starting to like the ben character. but i will miss this show mostly because it introduced me to sarah shahi and i loved her as a mediator. :((((((((((((((( the actress who plays lauren w also a favourite – hope to see her back onscreen soon.