It's Official: Common Law Cancelled By USA

Common Law CancelledUSA Network is dumping Common Law.

The cable net officially confirms what TVLine strongly hinted at on Monday — the struggling freshman drama will not be returning for a second season.

RELATED | USA Network Sets Return Dates for Suits, White Collar and Necessary Roughness

The series starred Michael Ealy and Warren Kole as detectives forced into couples’ therapy to save their partnership.

As TVLine exclusively reported earlier this week, Kole has rebounded with a recurring role on Fox’s upcoming psychological thriller The Following as a devotee of serial killer Joe Carroll (played by James Purefoy).

1. Linda says:

DAMN IT!

2. Beth says:

That is disappointing. Really liked the show.

3. Pam says:

So sad, loved the chemistry and story lines.

4. :( I really liked that show. Surprised they didn’t give it a second chance like they did when Fairly Legal almost tanked last year (and it will probably get the last nail this year)
    At least there wasn’t a cliffhanger ending? It wrapped Season 1 nicely.

5. Olivia says:

Nooooooooooooooooooo. Loved this show :(

6. Kate says:

This makes me sad. They actually had good chemistry and the show had potential. Usually USA gives shows more time to evolve.

7. Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

Good this show absolutely sucked and the ratings prove it. I think the only fans of this show must also be people that comment here lol.

• Linda says:

Why do feel the need to post when you don’t seem to give a SH1T about these shows you’re commenting on? I’m sick of seeing your name p1ss1ing all over this place.

• Josh says:

He’s trolling to get reactions, and he gets them every time. Just ignore him.

• Daisy says:

You’re right. He is super troll, super trolling. I wish we could spread the word that his posts don’t ever deserve a response.

• Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

Well Linda, I’m equally sick of people posting that they love mediocre shows that get dreadful ratings and acting like someone ran over their favorite puppy when they get cancelled. The show was awful and the ratings factually back up my statement that almost no one watched this show. If you feel the need though, go have a good cry over it. No amount of time allowing the show to “evolve” (lol) as one person put it would have increased the ratings.

• DS says:

It’s obviously a novel idea to you, Chuck, but taste is subjective. Let me explain. No, wait, since the concept seems difficult for you to grasp, let me sum up: Your opinion is not everyone’s opinion. Shocking, I know! Some people actually LOVED the show! Some people will be sad to see it go! They are welcome to have their opinions whether you like it or not. Whether you approve or not. :) I’m sorry you need to self-validate with ham-fisted self-righteousness over a cancelled tv show, and under a pseud as well. Poor thing. {hugs}

• Robert says:

This show was awesome I work in law enforcement and most shows on this subject are so serious two shows that give a look at the less serious side is Castle in some respect’s and this show. The side bets the arguing with partners the competition between departments. All that stuff does happen but most shows don’t want to show it I found it refreshing to see a show on the less serious side of this profession, I to much serious at work but love good cop shows after work. I also know almost everyone at my office liked this show. So if 80% of my office did then imagine all the agencies in the nation that’s a lot of viewers…viewer’s that don’t get conventional hours or days off to watch the show that’s why the rating’s aren’t so good the main audience was never home to watch it, and USA should keep this in mind who their demographic is based on the content.

• remi says:

How do you explain 8.0 on IMDB, if the show is as bad as you say? name your favorite show, I bet it sucks.

• remi says:

Awh well, if it’s breaking bad, you like at least one good show.

• just saying says:

Look I tried and couldn’t get through the first episode. It was that painful. The premise was stupid from the start. I can’t stand people that feel that the only people who are allowed to write comments are fangirls and boys. Someone actually writing a critique is hailed as a troll and a hater. And I think it’s also fine that people be allowed to voice their love or hatred (or in between) for a show.

• stef says:

Wish Bruce Campbell would come to your house and kick your a$$. How dare you use his “name”

8. Mia says:

I’m so upset! I’m gonna miss the banter.

9. MJ says:

I really liked this show. Sad to hear it is cancelled.

10. Phil says:

The title sucked. They should’ve put something appealing like “Couple Therapy”. Common Law doesn’t even represent the dynamics of the show.

11. TB says:

Bummer. I need Michael Ealy on my TV.

12. JC says:

Not surprised, but too bad. :( I enjoyed it.

13. Mel says:

But they are both so good looking….how could this happen

14. Danielle H. says:

I didn’t even know it was on yet…. and I’m guessing many others didn’t as well.

15. Elyse says:

UGH!!! i loved that show :( USA screwed up a great show by pushing back the premiere and then putting it on Fridays!

• Blake says:

I don’t think it’s USA’s fault. For many seasons of Monk, it was aired on Fridays. It lasted 8 seasons. Psych’s first four seasons were aired on Friday. It’s going to be on it’s 7th.

16. Lorie says:

This blows! I really liked this show.

17. Tiera says:

I thought the show was good, it was different and the leads were great in it

18. K. says:

NOOOOOOOOOOO

19. RRK says:

I am so bummed about this!!! :( It was an awesome show. I wish all the cast and crew the best, but I will sulk for a while. ;(

20. Joanna says:

Too bad. It was a great show.

21. Stu-Brew says:

NNNNOOOOO!!!!! I loved this show. :(

Michael Ealy will of course go back to doing movies. I hope Warren Kole gets some work he’s a good actor and has potential. I was hoping USA would give this show another chance to improve and let it grow like it’s other shows.

22. M3rc Nate says:

Loved this show. Granted after season 1 it didnt have a series arc anymore (not that thats a bad thing persay).

23. Disappointed says:

Ughhhhhh loveeeeeed this show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. Emgee says:

Got through two episodes and completely lost interest. This news bodes well for Burn Notice though. With NR and FL also on a very fragile bubble, Burn Notice is likely to be given a final run of episodes.

25. Jodee says:

Boo USA Network. One of the best shows on TV. This is why I hate starting to watch new shows!

26. Kim R says:

This show was so entertaining. The chemistry was so great between the characters, the writing was quick and witty and I enjoyed the crime fighting as well. Really too bad.

27. graywolf323 says:

well it had to happen eventually, USA actually canceled a good show prematurely :(

28. Lorie says:

They plan to do reality shows, but they drop this fun show?! Stupid USA Network!

29. mia says:

I wanted to like it, but I couldn’t.
    I do hope Michael Ealy finds work soon…I LOVE him.
    And here’s hoping this bodes well for a Political Animals renewal

30. Carol C says:

So sad ~ I LOVED this show!

31. oshi says:

That sucks its a good show
    cancel psych that show blows

• mia says:

Psych is the best show on USA. I have given out so many first season dvd sets to friends/family as gifts and I’ve never had anyone not fall completely in love with it.

32. Rachel says:

This is only ok if Warren Kole goes on to star in Whedon’s SHIELD series. I loved their chemistry!

33. Lauren says:

Oh man..gosh darn! Ah well seemed inevitable since USA didn’t officially cancel it until after Warren’s casting news on The Following and Sonya tweeted the show got canceled.

34. catbean says:

Sometimes USA sucks!

35. Amanda Davis says:

If you drop Common Law I will for certain give up TV. You guys did not give this show a chance. When the characters have chemistry that make a great show. Please give it a chance put the box or monitor my TV and you will see that this show is supported by in my household as well as my friends. Please, please, please keep it on the air.

36. Jenna says:

I feel bad for the fans, although I personally couldn’t get into this show. I do love Fairly Legal though and would like some good news on that one!! Pretty please!!??

37. kmg says:

Not surprised. I liked the two leads, and the cases they worked on were interesting. I also love Sonya. But the show took a sudden nose-dive every time they had one of the stupid “group therapy” scenes, and the lieutenant’s character was asinine. I watched the entire season, but I thought the chances of a second season were pretty slim.

38. Ethel says:

This is cancelled and Necessary Roughness is renewed?But, the show had low ratings so I was not surprised. It was a fun show but my dvr hated it. Would stop recording about 3’/4 of the way through. Only did it for this show so perhaps it was telling me something…..like not to get too involved in the characters as they won’t be around much longer. Oh well, on to another new show or two

• kmg says:

Actually, NR isn’t necessarily renewed, if I understand right. Their plan was always to do a split season, the way many USA shows are now. USA has released a return date for the last five eps of this season, but I’ve heard nothing so far about whether it will be back for Season 3.

39. TrulyROxie says:

I am not too happy. This was a fun show with two great guys in the lead. Damn you USA Network!

40. Viktor says:

Face it…this show really had nothing unique enough about it to garner ratings. It was just another procedural with partners who didn’t get along.
    So, throw them into couples therapy? It was an interesting premise, but was very poorly executed because there was only so far that they could take it. The other way that this show failed was that they never developed an arc that would make people want to keep people coming back. The only question that they really made you wait for was “why did the one guy pull his gun on the other?” (see, I can’t even remember the characters’ names, and I watched most of the first season).
    Look at the other great shows on USA Network (or most channels now for that matter-I picked USA because it has at least three great shows that I regularly watch) and right out of the gate, they started out with story arcs that could lead somewhere and make for great serial viewing.
    CL had a few good episodes, but in the end, the show just flat out wasn’t good.

41. Fen says:

Count my husband and I as two more people who watched and really enjoyed Common Law. For a summer time show it was entertaining. Granted, it’s no Homeland, but not everything has to be. I thought the story lines were good and the two lead actors were the great. Sorry to see it go :(

42. Ashley says:

While I’m not surprised by this considering the casting news elsewhere, I am disappointed. Common Law especially found its footing as the season went on and I would have liked to see what they could have done in a second season.

Where can I campaign to have Warren Kole and Michael Ealy be cast as partners on the new S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show?

• Kathy says:

Yes, Josh Wheldon, please put Warren and Michael on the new S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show, especially Warren, since he was in The Avengers as a S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent.

43. Jeff says:

bummed…really liked this show

44. Daisy says:

Enjoyed the show but unfortunately it took way too many episodes to get really interesting. The last episode was hands-down the best of the season. Which is really the opposite of what you need to sustain a show in a competitive market.

45. Pam says:

This is really sad consindering there are so many drama cop shows on and this one was refreshingly funny and light. Both my husband and I were really looking forward to another season. We loved the idea of having a cop show that’s not serious and goofy.

46. cosmoman11 says:

Too bad. It probably would have done better on a different night.

47. BonnieW says:

This is really disappointing…..first Fairly Legal and now THIS!!!!

48. Melissa says:

Seriously????? This makes me as angry as when USA cancelled In Plain Sight. Boo!

49. Adora says:

This was such a fun show, I don’t get why they are dropping it. They renew ‘reality’ crap but not good scripted shows. USA how could you?