The Voice Recap: Mama Said Knock You Out!

Thank goodness for Adam Levine — despite (because of?) the fact that he thinks a tattered/nearly see-through old t-shirt is appropriate attire for live television.

Without the Maroon 5 frontman’s mentoring skills, Night 1 of the The Voice‘s Season 3 “Knockout Rounds” might’ve resulted in a widespread case of Ebola’s close cousin “Memphese.”

And praise be to Xtina’s wigmaster that Adam also thwarted the unacceptable early exit of one of the most exciting reality singing contestants since Kelly Clarkson (let’s here it for Amanda Brown!).

Thanks to havoc wrought by Hurricane Sandy (R.I.P. electricity), we’re skipping detailed descriptions and cutting right to the results:

TEAM ADAM

Loren Allred (“You Know I’m No Good”) defeats Nicole Nelson (“If I Ain’t Got You”)

Melanie Martinez (“Bulletproof”) defeats Sam James (“Walking in Memphis”)

Joselyn Rivera (“Love on Top”) defeats Kayla Nevarez (“Shark in the Water”)

Bryan Keith (“Everything I Do [I Do It for You]“) defeats Joe Kirkland (“Mean”)

Amanda Brown (“Paris [Ooh La La]“) defeats Michelle Brooks-Thompson (“Spotlight”)

TEAM CEE LO

Mackenzie Bourg defeats Daniel Rosa

Trevin Hunte defeats Terisa Griffin

Cody Belew defeats Avery Wilson

Nicholas David defeats Mycle Wastman

Diego Val defeats Caitlin Michele

What did you think of the “Knockout Round” Results? Hit the comments!

1. Anonymous says:

Nicole Nelson was robbed! Pure and simple?

• TheBeach says:

I absolutely agree. Nicole’s voice is magical (I also think Amanda is VERY good). The cynic in me can’t help but think her age/marketability had a great deal to do with this horrible decision.

• cz says:

agreed. I hate it when they put two amazing and strong singers against each other.

• Tiff says:

This. Loren Allred had one little moment. Nicole has consistently had moments in every single performance. I thought Adam would go with consistency, but he listened to the other idiot judges and went with youth and 15 seconds of fame.

I’m pretty disappointed. Nicole was my pick for a possible winner. Loren won’t go far in the competition.

• Stormy says:

ITA. Nicole and Trevin Hunt have been my faves from the get go.

2. honestly, without faces to go with the names, I don’t know who’s who.

• noa says:

yeah, except for a few of them, i can’t remember who we’re talking about. so i guess i’m not attached to any of them (except for Melanie Martinez)

3. Losing Nicole Nelson? TRAGEDY. Well, of TV reality proportions. What the heck Adam? She’s the best set of pipes on that show!

4. Lisa says:

I don’t come to this for results, come on Michael!

• Curly Girly says:

Give the guy a break, he’s dealing with a MAJOR natural disaster (hello? Hurricane Sandy? Heard of it?). It’s amazing to me that he’s able to post ANYTHING, as he probably has limited/no electricity and/or internet. DUH

• holbee@aol.com says:

I assume he was writing on his phone, which isn’t easy when one’s composing an article. All he could really do was the basics.

5. Evan says:

Nicole was robbed. I don’t get the love for Melanie AT ALL. Adan’s bright spots are Bryan and Amanda, but I’m sad to see Joe, Michelle and Nicole go. Cee-Lo’s team is mostly right except Diego, especially considering he wasn’t as good as Caitlin, plus the fact that he makes it while Mycle, Avery, and Teresa go home. Liked this idea, even though a lot of favorites get smacked out way too fast.

• dan says:

Can’t agree with you about Bryan being a bright spot on Adam’s team. I thought his rendition of “(Everything I Do) I Do It For You” was lousy. I much preferred Joe’s performance of “Mean.” I’m also not a Melanie fan and would’ve preferred Adam to keep Sam. The other ones were close calls for Adam so hard to fault him. As for Cee Lo’s team, not impressed! Only one of his finalists (Cody) has any chance of making it deep into the live rounds, but I’m not sure he is final four material (depends on who Blake and Xtina keep around, because Adam has a shot at two finalists with Amanda and either Loren or Joslyn).

• JalaHyacinth says:

THIS. I thought Joe’s ‘Mean’ was genius! And, except for one note, Bryan’s ‘I Do It For You’ was out of tune! Ugh. HORRIBLE. Which I hate to say, because he was originally a favorite… Agree about Cee Lo’s team, he made some interesting choices…

• Lindsey says:

Agree! I am sooo bummed that Adam sent Joe home! I thought Joe’s version of “Mean” was awesome, while Bryan’s version of “Everything I Do” was awful!!! Joe was the only member of Adam’s team that really interested me… Darn!!

• Pearl says:

Hate that Joe, Terisa, Caitlin (WHAT THE HELL CEELO? THIS GIRL HOLDED A NOTE FOR ALMOST TEN SECONTS, I COUNTED IT!) are gone. I was actually cheering for Amanda, I love her. Blake’s comment abou Melanie was great , she looks like two girls, and all that “innocence” on stage is so fake, the way she conducted herself on the interview and the rehearse made that cristal clear, she wears a character on stage, I don’t like her AT ALL. But Sam wasn’t good too. I can live wth Loren, that was a close call, but I did like her take on Amy’s.

But, aghain, WHAT THE HELL CEELO:? ARE YOU CRAZY? HOW CAN YOU PUT CAITLIN OUT. THIS IS SO MUCH CRAP!!!

6. Pat says:

Loren coming out of nowhere with a great performance. The Voice editors are worse than Idol. WTF @ Avery’s performance. He was the frontrunner and totally blew it. Vocal vomit.

Ranking the teams:

Adam:

1.) Loren (SEXY. Hope she keeps that throwback vibe. Really strong vocals. Current. Came outta nowhere!)
    ———————–
    2.) Amanda (Great singer. Depth and versatility. But she tends to get whiny on the high notes. I could see her have trouble connecting. But I hope not.)
    ———————–
    3.) Bryan (Good singer but has the potential to be lazy and lackluster with his vocals. Don’t see much growth from him. He got lucky that Joe blew it with his song choice. WTF was that?)
    ———————–
    4.) Joselyn (HUGE potential. But I’m not sure she’s there yet. Ashley De La Rosa vibes. But she could be a pop star.)
    ———————–
    5.) Melanie (One trick pony. Breathy. No range. It’s interesting for a bit but it grows dull quickly. Should’ve been Michelle or Nicole or even Kayla. I don’t see her lasting more than a week on live shows.)

Cee-Lo:

1.) Nicholas (I love his voice. Old school soul brother. Do I think he has a shot at winning? Hell no. Not versatile enough to last 5-6 weeks of live shows.)
    ———————–
    2.) Trevin (Strong but getting a bit too predictable. Needs to change his song choices up badly. Can’t do 5-6 weeks of ballads and expect to win.)
    ———————–
    3.) Diego (Fairly strong when I was expecting a trainwreck. I think the arrangement hid a lot of his vocal flaws though.)
    ———————–
    4.) Cody (Good singer but honestly just boring and unmarketable.)
    ———————–
    5.) Mackenzie (Should’ve been Caitlin or Terisa or Mycle or Avery or anyone. He blows, Squeaks his voice more than Colton Dixon. Whiny. No range. Lame arrangements. Lame music. Over it.)

7. Tina says:

Adam clearly chose physical appeal over substance.No way did Loren out sing Nicole. Yes she hit that last not, but it didn’t really add to the song and did not make her a better singer than Nicole. My hubby predicted his choices based on looks then said “The Voice my a$$”. I’d have to agree. Cee-Lo made some better choices although I question Diego over Caitlin. Whatev!

• Curly Girly says:

I can’t believe that Diego is still in this competition! He should be eliminated for that haircut alone! UGH!

• holbee@aol.com says:

Diego is there to slowly lead farmboy Cody out of the closet with his exotic accent and good looks. (though turning Jolene into a gay may trying to keep his bisexual lover sorta brought some drama to a song with no surprises and took him one step closer to fabulous. )

• natnut says:

Except that Christina a girl said that choosing Loren was a no-brainer and Christina gave a standing ovation to Loren and not to Nichole.

• p says:

that’s because christina will go with anyone who can scream the loudest, consistency be damned. christina is easily swayed by big notes, loren gave it to her.

• p says:

also, you say “christina a girl” as if christina could not possibly be swayed by a woman’s looks.

8. Alienate says:

Don’t under estimate Cody “Bam Bam” Belew.
    He has Chris Issak type potential.

9. theresa says:

the only person I disagreed with Adam about was Joe. I thought it was fantastic and he sounded like a (rock) star.

10. VCI says:

I knew Adam was going to cut Nicole, he treated Kim the same way last year. But all in all I wasn’t that impressed with anyone from the battle rounds. And am so made Avery danced instead of sing and blew his shot because he was really a front runner.

• TheBeach says:

I was shocked at Avery’s performance. You’re right that he was a frontrunner and was terrific last week but he was horrible last night, missing many more notes than he hit. His song choice did nothing to show off his pipes and he ignored Ceelo’s advice to cool it with the dancing and concentrate on his singing. Way to blow it, kid.

• Tiff says:

I’m shocked, too. That was a horrific disaster. I think he was showing his age in that performance. What a mess.

• holbee@aol.com says:

Exactly. KId’s only 16. He needs some vocal lessons for breath control and learning how to let his voice sit on notes while his diaphragm allows for vocal support while dancing. When he gets there…I’m pretty sure this is not the last we’ll hear from Avery Wilson.

• TheBeach says:

You hit the nail on the head. He is a talented young man who could benefit greatly from some serious vocal training.

11. ET says:

Adam baffles me with some of his choices every year; this year it is Bryan Keith and Loren Allred. BOTH of them were clearly inferior to their opponents!! On a positive note, I did agree with all of Cee Lo’s picks.

12. seattlejohn449 says:

I’m disappointed Slezak didn’t even comment on his favorite Nicole getting the boot (but gives a shout-out to Adam)…I don’t understand why Adam would constantly praise her and then throw her overboard just.like.that. because another singer who hasn’t made much of an impression in her previous vocals suddenly sings one chorus he likes; was also angry that Nicholaus David had to battle Mycle Wasterman (and I didn’t like how CeeLo encouraged him to oversing for impact though it didn’t fit the song)

• holbee@aol.com says:

It wasn’t just Adam. A lot of those judges were sincerely in awe of Loren’s performance. Perhaps you had to be in the room, though, truly, after being a Nicole fan…I DID get it. And Nicole HAS been better.

13. Forwarddad says:

Is Slezak based in NY?

14. Aria says:

Loren Allred was impressive, but I’m surprised Adam got rid of Nicole based on one solid performance from Lauren when she hasn’t been great in the past, especially since Nicole has been consistently awesome. I’m interested to see how Loren does, though, since we didn’t even get to see her audition. Otherwise, I think Adam and Cee Lo made all the right decisions (although I was a fan of Michelle previously and had hoped she’d go further, but Adam was probably being realistic in guessing she wouldn’t go far).

• holbee@aol.com says:

You know what’s cool though. Obviously Nicole was an Adam favorite. Adam went in there convinced Nicole was going to go to the Live Shows. Loren was chum in the water. But something magic happened that forced him to change his mind (this happened with Trevin and Amanda I believe as well). That’s exciting television sometimes.

15. TV Lover says:

I loved Mackenzie Bourg!

16. Slatina Whorinova says:

Diego Val pushes all my wrong buttons. I wanna kick his azz. The thin, reedy, mumbly singing style, the fukked up hair and the atrocious, terrifying outfits make me see red.

17. Josh says:

Cant wait to see Gracia and Liz tonight two gorgeous talented women and Ceelo is stupid for keeping Diego over Catiln but then Ceelo probably noticed you have to be a guy to win a singing comp soo

18. kavyn says:

I think Caitlin deserved to be there over Diego, and Nicole deserved to be there over Loren. The rest of the decisions made I understood.

19. Chris says:

I thought Michelle outsang Amanda by a mile and I think Amanda knew it. She looked really shocked when she was chosen. I think Adam doesn’t always pick the best performance–he’s looking for the person with the room for the most improvement. His team seemed way better than Cee Lo’s.

20. What the actual F……..?
    Cee Lo made such a bad call on this. No way Go Deigo Go was better than Caitlin. No WAY.
    His team is so poor it’s unreal. A guy who sounds the same no matter what the song, a kid whos confidence is very shaky & 3 dudes who don’t deserve to be on the show.

21. Rachel says:

I have to say, the only Adam choice that surprised me was Melanie! I loved Loren’s song choice and performance, Bryan obviously chose a significantly better song for him, and While both Amanda and Michelle killed it, I really loved how Amanda owned the stage! Melanie, though, was so nervous she couldn’t even sing, and the song was eh.

22. Sharon says:

Caitlan was so awesome, I couldn’t stop listening to her!, no way Diego, he just doesnt have it!! Shame on CeeLo!!

23. teatime says:

My favorites of the night were Loren, Nicholas, and Daniel. I already don’t remember any other performances. I am very disappointed Daniel did not make it thru.
    I am glad Amanda and Bryan made it thru because I think they both have a lot of potential.
    I am really tired of guys singing silly female pop songs. Bad song choices is the primary reason I was okay with most of the decisions about who went home.

• teatime says:

I should add Nicole’s song choice of “I Ain’t Got You” was also a real bad song choice. I think I liked her a lot last time, but that is just a predictable and now old fashioned sounding song choice.

24. Lois Benton. says:

I was more impressed with Nicole Nelson every time she performed . I don’t even like the song, but she was fabulous on If I Ain’t Got You. And I hardly remembered Loren Allred, but then she was great too. He should have kept them both and arranged to ditch Joselyn Rivera. Michele Brooks-Thompson was better than anyone else, other than her tie with Amanda, Loren and Nicole. I do love Bryan and Melanie, but they weren’t as good as Michele. Darn that Adam. And I liked all of the people on Cee Lo’s team, except Daniel. I wish Terisa Griffin were advancing, but everyone who did is exceptional, so it’s hard to complain.

25. Eric says:

I would have picked Nicole over Loren, Daniel over Mackenzie (Daniel wasn’t great but I find Mackenzie’s whole Hipster Bieber/Pip 2.0 shtick really irritating) and DEFINITELY Caitlin over Diego… cannot believe she’s not advancing.

The other decisions, I was fine with. I’m particularly enamored of Amanda Brown right now, and she’s my pick to win. (Well, she would be if I wasn’t positive it will be a male, due to this show’s audience… :/)

26. Ashley says:

I absolutely hate the ‘more space to grow’ excuse for not choosing someone.

If one person is a 9, and the other is a 7, you dont choose the 7 because there’s more space between that and 10.

27. Sohpia says:

I was really REALLY disappointed that Adam picked Loren over Nicole Nelson. The show is called “The Voice” not “The One Who Surprised Me All of a Sudden.” Loren’s version of “You Know That I’m No Good” was fine, but it sounded like a wedding cover of a song that is loved, in a big part, for the pain you hear in Amy’s voice. Nicole was consistently outstanding throughout and I cannot believe she was sent home by someone doing a mediocre version of an incredible song. I agree that “If I Ain’t Got You” wasn’t the greatest song for Nicole, but she did an incredible job. I have a feeling that these songs aren’t exactly “chosen” by the contestant. I checked out some of Nicole’s YouTube videos she is an incredible artist in her original songs and her covers, she does a version of Etta James “I’d Rather Go Blind” that will knock your socks off. Shame on you Adam.

• David7118 says:

YES!! The show is called The Voice and these battle rounds seem to not be about that any longer. I’d love for a mentor to make the pairings for the Knockout Rounds and act as coaches. The judge’s chairs would be turned and remain that way until after they picked one of the two.

28. A says:

This is a general thing and I don’t know if anyone else is annoyed by this, but every time I hear Carson Daly say “This is gonna be a TOUGH decision” he pisses me off. Like seriously, come up with something else to say instead of that same friggin line every single round. We get it, obviously its a hard decision for them.

29. Shell says:

Once again,I am pissed off with this show.Too many talented people are getting the boot as a result of mega-talents being squared off against each other.Also, you shouldn’t keep a “much improved” contestant over someone who doesn’t have flaws to begin with. As for Avery’s unfortunate song choice,he still had a huge possibility to win the whole thing.My boy-friend warned me not to watch the show as he doesn’t like the format-I should have listened.Boy,am I pissed.

• Ryan says:

The thing is, I get the impression that the judges heard everyone sing first and then chose the match ups at the live show, knowing who their top five would likely be. That’s why Loren seems like such a fluke, because he didn’t expect her to do well.

• natnut says:

But that’s why it’s called “knockout” rounds. You aren’t judged by your past record but judged by your current performance. If you don’t bring it at that moment, you get eliminated no matter how well you performed in the past. This type of knockout round serves to weed out those who can’t perform under pressure. Being able to perform under pressure, when it counts, is a good indicator of whether you can succeed in the music industry.

30. steve says:

Caitlin and Nicole were ROBBED!!!!!!! both were potential winners loren and deigo aren’t going to win deigo will prob be gone next week and loren could go either way

31. Laura says:

Michael… hope you are well!!! you not posting anything makes me wonder how was it for you and hubby over there with Sandy… hope all is well, or at least getting there for you! much love!

32. David says:

The only surprise, for me, was Bryan over Joe. The only reason why Bryan won was that big note at the end. Adam has been vocal in the past about ending strong. I think his instinct was wrong on this one.

33. FreeHaley says:

I was actually cool with all of the decisions. Not much to say. I was shocked at how Avery badly burned. Joselyn really brought it and hopefully showed some she belongs.
    Amanda seems to be suddenly emerging as perhaps the favorite.