Hurricane Sandy Coverage Bumps Tuesday's Private Practice, NBC Comedies Postponed

Get More: News, Scheduling News

Private Practice Kate WalshIn addition to all of the other damage she inflicted, Hurricane Sandy is taking a toll on Tuesday night’s programming.

Tonight’s Private Practice has been bumped for A Special Edition of 20/20: The Perfect Storm, airing at 10/9c on ABC.

RELATED | When It Poured, They Reigned: Our Five Favorite Hurricane Sandy Stars

Creator Shonda Rhimes revealed on Twitter that the drama will be back with a new episode on November 13, after the presidential election.

Meanwhile, NBC’s planned 10 pm airings of Go On and The New Normal have been replaced by NBC News storm coverage. The network hasn’t scheduled air dates for the bumped comedies yet; we’ll keep you posted.

UPDATE: If you missed Monday’s Revolution, the episode will repeat this Friday, November 2, at 8 pm. This week’s The Voice Knockout Rounds, part 1, will rerun in place of the Thursday-night comedies.

UPDATE 2: Live With Kelly and Michael‘s Halloween show will now air next Monday, November 5.

UPDATE 3: A new episode of 30 Rock will air Wednesday at 8 pm in place of Animal Practice‘s last scheduled original.

Comments (37)

• Not surprised. At least it’s good to know! But I hope tonight’s Go ON, with a Halloween episode, is not shelved until 11/13 (since election coverage will pre-empt *next* week, too.)

Comment by Wendy – October 30, 2012 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will FOX keep New & Raising Hope on, also will ABC keep DWTS, Happy Endings & Apartment 23 on as well, or will we have to go through more Hurracine Sandy coverage here in NYC

Comment by Nick – October 30, 2012 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They’re all airing on the network, but what your affiliate does is up to them.

Comment by TV Gord – October 30, 2012 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope we still get HOD and Ben and Kate BUT I doubt it

Comment by sarah – October 30, 2012 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Perfect Storm? I’m doubting this is the one with George Clooney and Mark Wahlberg. Well let’s just hope CBS keeps their regular scheduled programming tonight.

Comment by Blake – October 30, 2012 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really tired of networks doing this. Last night my local NBC affiliate moved The Voice to a digital substation without any notification or notice so I missed it. I get the news events are important and of interest but the problem is that even the people affected by it get tired of the continuous and repetitive coverage. Maybe the networks need to realize that they would get more out of providing entertainment to people instead of repetitive news. They can interrupt if there is a major concern news related.

Comment by david – October 30, 2012 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Also, Anderson Live has cancelled its Halloween show tomorrow and Live with Kelly and Michael has postponed theirs to next Monday. Reruns tomorrow.

Comment by TV Gord – October 30, 2012 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s ridiculous. In this difficult days people need some entertainment. Watching news coverage all the time makes me want to hang myself. I need my TV shows to get relax after hard day of work.

Comment by Yolanda – October 30, 2012 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Any news about CBS? That article about the LJs meeting on NCIS got me even more excited for the episode tonight, I would hate to see it cancelled!

Comment by lily – October 30, 2012 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aren’t they also bumping Thursday comedies for no apparent reason? FOR A VOICE RERUN?

Comment by kt – October 30, 2012 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes…I’m looking for an answer for this as well. Parks and Rec has one of their best episodes yet…and now I have to wait until god knows when to see a new one? Why does NBC hate quality programming so much?

Comment by dandilyons – October 30, 2012 08:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Question from a curious Gulf Coast tv addict: did shows get shuffled around like this when Katrina (stronger storm than Sandy when it hit) happened or more recently Issaac (which was around Sandy’s strength when it was hit)???

Comment by Amanda – October 30, 2012 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m asking because obviously when storms hit here my affiliates change to 24 weather coverage. But I’ve never heard of entire nights of programming being changed across the nation for a hurricane which is a trifle bit annoying.

Comment by Amanda – October 30, 2012 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Possibly it’s because Katrina happened in August (rerun time), while now we’re in a regular tv season?

Comment by Sheila – October 30, 2012 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t understand why there is special news coverage tonight. I know the devastation is monumental but it’s been on all night and day. Why do we need a special on it when it just happened last night.

Comment by tp – October 30, 2012 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on iwatch2much and commented:
    If you are looking for any of your shows tonight, sorry they are all being pre-empted for Hurricane Sandy coverage or are in reruns.

Comment by nguber – October 30, 2012 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am I the only one to have had Hawaii Five-0 replaced by a special on CBS last night? (San Francisco Bay Area, here)

Comment by ESLKid75 – October 30, 2012 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nope, I wondered about 5-0 and HIMYM too (which was on a digital substation and seemed to be a repeat when I thought it was going to be a new one)

Comment by danie – October 30, 2012 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • CBS showed reruns all last night.

Comment by tp – October 30, 2012 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Then why did my TiVo expect something new? Ugh… Thanks for the info!

Comment by boningueb – October 30, 2012 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Because they changed it last minute. Your Tivo is not an all-knowing device.

Comment by Sg.Grant – October 30, 2012 05:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Mine did that too then it changed by 8:15 and cancelled the remaining shows.

Comment by tp – October 30, 2012 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As someone who lives in MA, I am really sorry about all this guys. We’re tired of all the coverage too, although the damage is pretty devastating. Not sure if it needs a bunch of specials but…

Comment by Jen – October 30, 2012 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As a Katrina victim, I totally understand being sick of coverage. It was everywhere when you just wanted a night to escape. Hope everything is okay!

Comment by Amanda – October 30, 2012 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No need for YOU to be sorry!!! Just stay safe. :o)

Comment by tp – October 30, 2012 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ug so sick of this… I don’t rmemeber them doing this the last large storm. If they r gonna do this now we better get prepared for a lot of preempts w all the super storms we have nowadays.

Comment by Danielle H. – October 30, 2012 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually liked animal practice. Nice and quirky. Great crew there.

Comment by bobbie – October 30, 2012 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sitting here in Mass. No power for over 24 hours. Running the generator for a few hours to get some needed entertainment – not a rehash of the storm coverage. Ugh…..

Comment by Dee – October 30, 2012 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ARGH! Stupid hurricane! I was looking forward to this episode! PP has got to be the most undervalued show EVER!!! I hope Shonda gets all her shows canceled really soon and is out of a job (yes, I know, the hurricane is not her fault, but I hate her anyway, and she’s probaly getting off on it…)

Comment by Barbie – October 30, 2012 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Umm I think airing Halloween episdoes after Halloween is kinda ridiclous.

Comment by cdeno – October 30, 2012 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When Hurricane Ike devastated Texas, we had nonstop coverage for what felt like forever. Tv shows were preempted for continuous coverage (despite having nothing new to report) and I got to the point where I popped in my DVDs of Buffy just to get away from it all. The media tends to blow everything up until the viewers no longer give a crap. I know that it’s devastating. Believe me, I had to evacuate when Ike hit. My parents lost much of their home. But ultimately we need something to take our minds off everything we’re going through. Isn’t that why we watch tv to begin with? To escape reality an hour at a time?

Comment by Mama Kitty – October 30, 2012 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously I’ve been watching it all day and it didn’t interrupt my husbands show so why mine ugh!!! I feel sorry for everyone effected and have been praying for them but can’t I just watch my shows jeez

Comment by Crystal – October 30, 2012 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you want to keep your viewers ABC, you need to stop pre-empting programs with things people do not care to see! We look forward to shows that take us away from reality all week and don’t need to be reminded of it by your additional news broadcasts about the actual tragedy of others! Get a clue! I really hope your ratings were low…I know I turned the channel immediately.

Comment by Frank Tyson – October 30, 2012 09:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I figured it had to with most of the east coast being without power and unable to watch shows. which would negatively affect ratings. I mean reviewers couldn’t give a full recap on The Voice because of Sandy.

Comment by VCI – October 30, 2012 09:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not sure who their programming was aimed at? I don’t think anyone with power wanted to watch ANY more hurricane tv and those without, we’ll, they couldn’t. Who did the networks think their audience was? I think other hurricanes or tropical storms. Ridiculous.

Comment by Erika – October 31, 2012 03:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t be the only one who thinks its kinda stupid to air a Halloween themed episode almost a week AFTER halloween (especially for a show like Live with Kelly and Michael since that airs 5 days a week).

Erika I would have to agree wit what you said.
    Also why preempt show on Thursday when they are no longer covering Sandy, why not let them air as scheduled.

TV has been messed up this year cause of all the deabtes prempting shows, and now the election, and this storm.

Comment by cdeno – October 31, 2012 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well Thursday stuff is pre-exempted for the CMA awards… Not the hurricaine. But I am someone who works all day and I am ok with missing a night of new shows. We will see them eventually.

Comment by Christina – October 31, 2012 10:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post