Community Gets Return Date! Plus: Smash Moves to Tuesdays, Revolution Takes a Break & More!

Good news, Human Beings: Community at long last has a return date!

NBC unveiled its midseason game plan on Tuesday and the big news is that the underdog comedy will reclaim its Thursday at 8/7c time slot beginning Feb. 7, replacing 30 Rock (which will have wrapped its 13-episode final season by then).

Community‘s fourth season was initially supposed to launch on Friday, Oct. 19 along with Whitney, but NBC (wisely) scrapped that plan at the last minute. (As previously reported, Whitney returns Wednesday, Nov. 14 at 8/7c, replacing the cancelled Animal Practice.)

RELATED | Community Spoiler: The Season of Jeff/Britta?

Other highlights from NBC’s winter/spring scheduling announcement:

* The new drama Deception (formerly Infamous) will premiere Monday, Jan. 7 at 10/9c, replacing hiatus-bound Revolution (which will resume its freshman run on Monday, March 25).

* The Biggest Loser returns with a two-night premiere on Sunday, Jan. 6 (9-11 pm) and Monday, Jan. 7 (8-10 pm), and will continue to air Mondays until The Voice returns on March 25.

* Smash will relocate to Tuesdays at 10/9c, kicking off its second season with a two-hour episode on Feb. 5. (Parenthood completes its fourth season in January.)

RELATED | Smash Scoop: Rescue Me Alum to Woo [Spoiler] in Season 2!

* The first of two 30-minute episodes of Betty White’s Off Their Rockers will air Tuesdays at 8/7c beginning Jan. 8.

* New comedy 1600 Penn will air Thursdays at 9:30/8:30c beginning January 10. Parks and Recreation, meanwhile, shifts to 8:30/7:30c after Community. What about Up All Night? As we reported on Monday, the sophomore comedy is taking a little break to tinker with its format.

The Celebrity Apprentice returns Sunday, March 3 and will air two-hour editions for four straight weeks before (thankfully) slimming down to one-hour installments beginning March 31. Meanwhile, the Eva Longoria-produced reality series Ready For Love, bows on March 31 at 8/7c.

RELATED | Celebrity Apprentice All-Star Cast Announced!

1. Jen says:

this has to be a joke, FEBRUARY!!!! that sucks

• cjeffery7 says:

its better than nothing! fingers crossed!

• aleksa says:

True. At least it IS a date.

• april-ann says:

It’s better than now. I can’t believe true fans don’t see this. It’s like they heard me because I posted on this very website exactly this – that when 30 Rock ended, Community should air in its timeslot on Thursday night! Moving it to Friday would be its death knell for sure. Thursday slots are very coveted and this means a vote of confidence from the “suits”! Who out of all Community’s fans would stay home and watch it on Friday night? Certainly not me and not any of us who are speaking truthfully. This is great news!!

• Sheila says:

Why does NBC hate us so?

• Jenn says:

If the Mayan prophets were right, the world would end before we see another new episode of Community.

2. NCSouthernBelle says:

WHAT?!?! Why so far away? I’ve been looking for it weekly since mid-September! :'(

3. Bex says:

February?!?!?!?!?!! Seriously? thats a vast difference to October like originally planned!

4. This is unacceptable. NBC, get your act together!

5. I really hope this is a joke. Feb is so far away

6. What?!?! are you kidding?!?!?!? I thought it was premiering now in November…. not fair!!!

7. TV Gord says:

Let’s face it. There’s no point in bringing it back for November sweeps and December is mostly repeats across the schedule, so February isn’t that far off. Maybe we’ll get the whole season uninterrupted this way!

8. Alex says:

Calm down guys, it’s going to air, and not in the TV graveyard of Friday nights.
    Psych fans are in the same boat, waiting until February.

9. I think this puts it in a better position for a possible 5th season. It’s easier to a renew a show airing till May than running out in February or march.

10. Henry says:

Makes me think that there will be no #sixseasonsandamovie as it seems there’d be no chance of ordering additional episodes. Really hope I’m wrong though. At least it’s back on Thursday…

11. RobMF says:

I for one love that its back in its original timeslot.

12. BdayBoy says:

That’s my bday!
    Happy Birthday to ME!

13. erin says:

It seems so far away but it’s better than not knowing the date at all, and after the whole CityTV thing today (next Friday! Just kidding, it’s actually going to be in January. Just kidding! We have no set date!) I’m glad they’ve announced something..

• TV Gord says:

Erin, the American readers have no clue what you’re talking aboot.

• Templar says:

Does anyone here speak Canadian?

• Stormy says:

Sure:
        Eh?
        poutine,
        shot and a goal
        we are so a real country,
        keep your stick on the ice,
        we’re pullin’ for ya we’re all in this together

• sarah says:

Lol yes. The Canadian cable company CityTV, which airs community here, said it would be airing the new season of Community starting this week. All Canadian Community fans were very excited. However, NBC quickly put an end to that idea & CityTV said they wouldnt be airing it until NBC did. I expect the hockey lockout to end before Community airs . . .

14. RockGolf says:

Looks like that’s the week after 30 Rock ends.

15. Alicia says:

Maybe they’re thinking of making it a summer show?

16. shuayb says:

My Birthday! Awesome BDAY present NBC!

17. Kerry says:

So… they’re putting it back in the old time slot? Yeah, THAT makes sense.

• Angela says:

My thoughts exactly. All that jerking around for…no particular reason. Great planning, NBC.
      Meh, while I hate the idea of waiting even longer, I am happy to hear there IS a return date (you start to wonder after a while with this show) and look forward to it FINALLY being back on TV. I’ll feel much better when I actually see the show, but for now I’ll take this as the slight good news it is.

18. S says:

At least it’s October 19th in our hearts – just in Feb.

19. Tricia says:

I can’t wait til October 19th!

20. AJ says:

Wow. You people are amazing. February will be here before you know it. And guess what, based on NBC’s new “no single camera comedies” mantra, you best enjoy it while you can. Community is essentially canceled unless there is some miracle ratings increase. 1.9/6 in the 18-49 demo (translated to 2.4MM viewers) is not going to cut it.

21. Josh says:

Thrilled that Community is coming back. Feels like a long wait, but when I think of 30 Rock ending, it seems too soon….

22. NBC, what are you doin? NBC – STAHP!!!

23. LC says:

NO. NO NO NO. That is too far away. And putting it back on Thursdays is stupid. It’s like they want to kill it off…oh wait.

24. Taryn says:

I’m just thankful it has a return date.

25. josh says:

It’s premiering on October 19th!

26. Emma says:

Oh great so it airs in Canada before the US,gets watched online and sees less people watch it when it airs on NBC giving them reason to cancel it. Why do this NBC, if you want it gone just cancel it but don’t wreck a great show by creating this drama.

• TV Gord says:

There’s no indication that it will air in Canada first, and even if it does, it has no effect on the ratings in the U.S. Canadians who post on this board have to realize that we are inconsequential to anything that happens on American TV.

• RockGolf says:

Very unlikely it will air in Canada. In Canada when a Canadian & US station show the show at the same time, cable companies must by law replace the US signal with the Canadian station’s “simulcast”. CITY-tV has the rights to Community & 30 Rock in Canada, so they would get the largest audience putting it on at the same time as NBC.

(And yes, this means Canadians don’t get to see Super Bowl commercials.)

27. TBS needs to pick it up and pair it with Cougar Town.

28. Jared says:

Death slot.

29. mawhi says:

“YAY THURSDAY!” – more people

30. Lou says:

Happy we got a return date to look forward to but this pretty much ruins hopes for getting that back nine. Airing on Thursdays in competition with everything else is just not great at all.

31. Joe says:

So I guess no Mockingbird Lane? :(

32. Keith says:

So when does Whitney return?

33. Austin says:

if revolution finishes its 1st run in November then it will have only aired 8 episodes. how will it air 14 episodes between march 25th and end of may? thats only 10 weeks at most

• lll says:

Maybe some episodes will air in December. Or they will come back earlier if Deception fails.

• Alex says:

I don’t picture Revolution coming back before The Voice does. Actually, I’d like to see The Voice/Revolution return in early March instead of late March, but I don’t hold out too much hope.

• Saad Hashmi says:

NBC is stupid to push new episodes of Revolution that far out. They did the same thing with The Event, and it decimated that shows decent ratings. I guess they are confident it won’t slip.

34. Dave says:

Does this mean Smash’s lead in is TNN?

35. BadNBC says:

I HATE when NBC benches their new action hits like revolution. They did it to flashforward and it killed the show. Although revolution is doing much better in numbers than flashforward, they’re killing the good attention it has by benching it for 3 months.

36. jasie says:

Haven’t networks learned anything about a long break in the heavily serialized dramas like Revolution. Wonder when it will start its break…

37. Colleen says:

So does the comedy reruns leave Grimm with no lead in besides reruns-not complaining (or sure Whitney/Community was going to be a gangbusters lead in anyway) but interested to see what NBC is thinking for that hour.

38. Guys, I know its a bit far, but we have a date! Can we be happy about that? I mean its the only way the show wont be on Friday nights with Whitney and wll give it a better chance to survive.

39. Tim says:

What the heck is this CRAP?!?!?!?!??!? We have to wait until the END of MARCH for the back half of the first season of Revolution?!??!?!?!?!?!?

• JC says:

NBC’s only bona fide new hit show, and they will kill its momentum with a four month break. Idiots.

• TB120 says:

Exactly what I was thinking. Maybe they will learn next season & air it in the fall or spring like Lost or 24. Big break is going to kill it’s momentum!

• I watched Lost and 24 and Revolution is no Lost or 24. NBC must be pinching pennies on technical consultants and research if we’re supposed to believe that a stainless steel flask can stop small caliber handguns at CONTACT range. Yes, I realize we’re not supposed to think too hard about the silly things that go on in this show, but it’s really difficult for me to. Not. Think. At. All.

• Karen says:

Just shows you how bad NBC is. Not thinking of its viewers AT ALL.

40. Babybop says:

Happy that they’re giving it a premiere date, sad that it’s back in the old time slot. Friday was a death slot, Thursday at 8 is a death slot. I love Community, I hope they give it proper advertising (that they claim they wanted to give it when they chopped it from Fridays) and that the ratings will be good enough to keep it hanging on.
    If not, it will join 30 Rock, HIMYM, and The Office as they bow out this year.

41. October 19th has been moved to February,

42. Ana says:

Waiting until the Spring for Smash is not nice! What is it with the huge gaps? I assume Parenthood will be off the air until the Fall again? Not liking the huge break for Revolution either. Hope that Deception is a worthy substitute. And NBC needs to stop jerking Parks and Rec around. Well, hopefully the ratings will be better at 8:30. Not ready to see that show go. And Eva Longoria is Exec producing a show on relationships? Is it a revival of ‘Punked’?

• dan says:

Feb 5th is not exactly Spring; still Winter in most parts of the country. Besides, if Smash doesn’t improve over last year’s debacle then it may not make it to Spring. Its got to be an expensive show to produce so if the numbers aren’t there then I predict Smash will be gone before we switch back to Daylight Savings Time in April.

43. Madame_L says:

February? Seriously? That also takes the chance of a full season pick-up, doesn’t it? That really sucks. I was so looking forward to new epsiodes.

44. Jessica says:

But when does Whitney start again?!

… asked no one.

• jj says:

actually if you would have read the comments, you would have seen that Keith did ask. and the info is given in the article, so there’s no need to ask anyway. but nice try at being funny.

45. Charlotte says:

I hate that we have to wait till February. BUT on the flip side…
    NO FRIDAY NIGHT DEATH SLOT!
    Back on Thursdays!!!

46. Anna says:

so no more episodes for Parenthood starting February.. thats just sad.

• Superhero says:

But at least they’re replacing it with a quality show like Smash!

/sarcasm

• VCI says:

I love parenthood, but I enjoyed Smash too (the the direction they are heading is even more promising) BUT why oh why can’t Parenthood gets a full 22 like other great dramas. I need more Parenthood.

• ben says:

Smash is quality in many ways, including music, writing, filming. I realise there are aspects of the plot which are not. But its a pretty good show.
        Parenthood’s ratings are looking good for a Season 5, although I think it’s a shame that this appears to close the door on more episodes in season 4.

47. LM says:

Well, this just sucks. Thursday nights means Community season 4 is the last ever season with no hope of more than 13 episodes. Thanks NBC. Thanks a lot.

• TV Gord says:

We got four seasons, despite dismal ratings, so YES! Thanks, NBC!

• ben says:

Ooooh, a psychic. I don’t really understand Community fans. I’m a Chuck fan and a Fringe fan, and in both cases it seemed like the fans were generally gracious and thankful for the episodes they got. Community fans seem to miss the fact that season 4 is a blessing in itself, and that nothing was guaranteed.

48. Superhero says:

Obviously, that’s much longer than I wanted, but at least it’s airing. Just getting four seasons of this amazing show is an accomplishment.

49. LM says:

I forgot to add: TBS? TBS? TBS? If it can take Cougar Town, right?

• Eric says:

Wouldn’t that be just AMAZING? A Cougar Town/Community time block on TBS would be the best thing the world has ever seen.

As a Canadian viewer, I couldn’t watch it anyways..

But still!