Recap: Castle Faces a Killer Dilemma

Castle Season 5Monday night’s Castle saw the mystery novelist set up. But this was no blind date. Rather, the 3XK killer had returned and framed Rick for murder.

RELATED | Castle Season 5 Recast Scoop: GCB Alum In, Switched at Birth Actor Out!

The hour begins with the team being called to a crime scene with a twist: The victim is strapped to the ceiling and has a symbol carved into her forehead. Once they begin investigating, CSU finds Castle’s fingerprints on the door knob. Then he’s spotted on video cam footage buying jewelry for the dead woman. While Beckett is hesitant to believe Castle is responsible, a search warrant uncovers a bag at his apartment with the same type of wire used to harness the victim. With all the evidence pointing at  him, Espo is forced to arrest his friend for murder.

In a rare moment of vulnerability, a crying Beckett reveals to Lanie that they found emails on Castle’s computer that expose an affair between him and the deceased, giving him motive. “He is an immature, egotistical, self-centered jackass sometimes, but he’s not this,” Kate says.

As if there was ever any doubt, Castle didn’t do it. The 3XK killer, Tyson, pays him a spooky visit behind bars to explain why he set him up (how considerate!): “I gave up four years of my life planning the perfect vanishing act so that the cops would stop looking for me, so that I could begin killing again. … You ruined it.”

RELATED | Exclusive: Castle Books GH‘s Nancy Lee Grahn For War of the Roses-Esque Episode

And for that, he doesn’t want to off Castle. “It’s more fun to destroy you,” he adds. And he’s found the perfect, poetic way to do it that will also break Beckett’s heart. “I’ve got people waiting for you [in central booking]. You will not last the night. And that’ll be her punishment – believing that you were innocent and not being able to stop it. It’ll haunt her for the rest of her life.”

But being the clever man that he is and having somebody handy owe him a favor, Castle manages to orchestrate his escape as he’s being transferred, right after giving Kate a coded message to meet him at the New York Public Library, the spot where she first arrested him. From there, they track down 3XK’s fake Castle from the footage and, ultimately, the serial killer’s “lair.” Unfortunately, he’s not there – he’s outside. While sitting in the car discussing how things have never been easy between them, Becket and Castle are suddenly rear-ended. Tyson grabs Kate, and Rick saves her, shooting him into the waters below. When no body is found, Castle knows this is not the end of the story. It was never about hurting him; orchestrating this entire meticulous charade was the perfect way for Tyson to stop being wanted. Now he’s free.

Castle fans, what did you think of the frame job? Is Castle right about 3XK’s eventual return? And does this episode only solidify Castle and Beckett’s relationship?

1. Lola says:

I really, really hated this episode. I’m not sure why exactly — it just seemed ‘off’. Like, the whole time, until 3XK showed up, I was waiting for it to be a dream or something. And this is from someone who loves Castle.

• madbengalsfan85 says:

The 3XK arc reminded me a lot of the Gormagon arc on Bones…great build-up, leading to a meh ending that doesn’t really feel like closure

• Lola says:

You’re right! That’s a good comparison!

• Templar says:

I agree. Is this supposed to be the ongoing threat now that Becket’s search is over and the shippers got their couple together? How would 3XK know that Castle wouldn’t shoot him in the head? I assume he was wearing body armor, but a head shot would negate that advantage. And blanks in the gun would show up in the aftermath indicating he’s not dead. Lame, in my estimation.

• maltru says:

That’s what I kept thinking! I said, “Why doesn’t he just shoot him in the head? He’s clearly wearing a bulletproof vest!” Lame indeed.

• DJ says:

I love Castle, but I felt like he did in the car with Beckett. It was too easy – finding the lair, finding the double. Plus, after Beckett seemingly plugged him full of holes and he gets up, why wouldn’t Castle take the head shot? Just didn’t add up to me.

• Alan says:

castle is a good shot, as has been established in the past, but he isnt that good plus he was emotional and probably couldnt focus properly to target the head

• John DeMayo says:

Re: Why wouldn’t Castle shoot him in the head — Castle is a writer, not an officer. Beckett doesn’t let him use a firearm, remember? There’s no way he could all of a sudden be able to aim for and hit a target’s head.

• lariet50 says:

I agree with those who say Castle never gets to shoot, but what has always bothered me is the Season 1 episode where Beckett and Castle are at a shooting range, and he shoots perfectly in order to win a bet with her. Then suddenly those excellent marksmanship skills disappeared. Continuity error.

• pilo says:

This Episode was more or less the season 5 story from Burn Notice.

• Alan says:

thats because there isnt closure, just like castle says he will be back. no body. no death its practically a rule

• Mike says:

Yes, perfect comparison. And Bones can blame the strike. What’s Castle’s excuse?

• Lisa says:

I thought it was more like a mixture of the Pelant villian on Bones with all seeing/all knowing. Videos of Rick & Kate and getting into Castle’s apartment and The Mentalist with Red John who has people working for him everywhere. It definitely felt like Bones season 8 premiere with Brennan/Pelant since there was never any doubt that Castle was innocent and the bad guy gets away to continue on his evil ways.

• ak says:

my power wenr out 26 min into the show how can i get to see the rest of it?

• Jon88 says:

Major plot hole at the end: Beckett says to Castle, “You shot him.” Castle fails to point out that so did she, to no particular effect.

• Blorgon says:

I’m sure it’ll resurface eventually; I interpreted it as Kate being so ready for the situation to be over and so shaken up that she was willing to just deny the obvious truth. And I loved that they left it open, because Jerry Tyson is kind of my favorite villain on Castle.

• Kurt says:

I wondered when someone was gonna bring that up.(g). The other plot hole is that if he was shot, he wasn’t exactly on the edge and there would have had to been some blood spray somewhere.

• luli says:

i loved the episode, it had me on the edge of my seat

2. JH says:

I loved this episode. It had a little bit of everything and a whole lot of progression in terms of the characters, Castle and Beckett’s relationship and introduced a new way for 3XK to return and not in the obvious sense that he is strangling blonde women. All in all, the acting from everyone was superb! Best season of Castle, hands down.

• Diane says:

I completely agree. This was hands down one of the best episodes ever. The twist with the 3xK killer being the culprit was genious. Never saw that one coming. All of you negative viewers out there need to stop comparing this program to Moonlighting, Bones, etc. The writing is better than most programs out there!!!

• luli says:

the thing that i expected and did not happen was for beckett to say “i love you”… I’m still waiting for this moment to happen!!

3. M says:

Seeing Michael Mosley’s name in the opening credits ruined the mystery for me of how Castle would get out of this predicament. Otherwise, thought it was a good episode.

• Not for me. But then again, I visit a few different sites where commenters speculated that it was the 3XK setting Castle up. Seeing his name just confirmed it and made me excited and interested in the story line. But that’s just me.

• Paulo says:

I completely agree, when I saw his name in the credits it spoiled it for me. They had done a good job of not announcing that Michael Mosley was in the episode so it was a shame that put his name in the credits. Apart from that though, I believe that it was a great episode and that this season has a had a great start.

• Alan says:

hate when opening credits spoil a good twist, so many shows have hidden a guest’s name at the end of the episode, would have been easy to do that here

• lariet50 says:

I was spoiler free and ignored the credits, so it actually surprised me. And I’m usually hard to surprise with this show.

4. Majo Twilighter says:

I love Castle and this ep was no disappointment but I did feel something ‘off’ as well. I don’t know. Maybe I’m too used to the Caskett happy/unicorns/rainbows thingy? Anyway, it kept me on edge the whole time and it was freakin intense! Loved it, maybe I’ll have to watch it again to see exactly WHAT seemed off :)

• Andrea says:

I think the “off” feeling was just the dramatic turn of this episode (at least for me). I watched it a second time and loved it even more. The first 4 this season have pretty much been rainbows and sunshine. I really appreciated this episode more after a second watch and didn’t find a single thing wrong with it!

• Ashley says:

I think it was supposed to feel “off.” I mean, Beckett said that none of it was making sense to her up until that point.

• luli says:

i watched it for the second time like an hour after i had watch it for the first time. i think it was a great episode and this season is just amazing! it has everything

5. Majo Twilighter says:

Oh and HANDS DOWN! Stana Katic was incredible. Her face when she was crying… DAMN GURL. I may have shred a tear or two. Nathan Fillion was amazing as well! Those tow deserve ALL THE AWARDS.

6. mary says:

I knew Beckett would stand by Castle unlike so called fans who were judging her from one misleading promo.

Anyway,another great episode. After only 5 episodes I can already say this is my favorite season. Nathan and Stana were amazing and I’m blown away with the progression of Beckett, she’s finally allowed herself to be vulnerable and I didn’t need to hear “I love you” because her actions said so much more.

• VACastlefan says:

Couldn’t agree more with all the points you made. I loved this episode!

• Alichat says:

As one of those “so called fans” (**eye roll**,) I still maintain that this was a pretty lame episode and the characterization of Beckett was weak. The moment they searched Castle’s house, her statement to him shouldn’t have been “You need to explain it….you need to tell me what the hell is going on.” but instead “There has to be an explanation…..We need to figure out how this is happening…..can you think of anyone that can orchestrate something like this?” This was supposed to be an episode that tested them…..because Beckett has trust issues, and Rick has a past as a playboy. So, she’s supposed to question and wonder ‘how well do I know this guy?’, but in the end trust that he wouldn’t be this sick….or at least this freakin’ stupid.

“Yes, I’m a highly paid murder mystery writer who’s been shadowing the NYPD for the last four years. I have decided to murder this woman, whom I’m allegedly having an affair with and corresponding with via email on my computer (totally not traceable right?), in a sick and twisted way which I just devised for my book, wrote out on my computer in detail, then decided ‘eh….better delete this.’ I then decided to leave my finger prints at the scene, get caught on camera buying expensive jewelry for this woman with money from my very visible pocket account, and leave the murder weapon, wire, and a really bloody shirt just lying around in my house for everyone to see. Yep….no one will catch me. It’s the perfect murder!!”

If they wanted Beckett to question her loyalty to him…to question how well she knows him….then the 3XK killer should have murdered a woman that Castle had dated in the past. Someone he has a legitimate connection to. The 3XK killer could have orchestrated a meeting between the murder victim and the Castle look alike, which ends up on the security footage of some coffee shop. This would be done while Castle was at home, alone, writing. As it was, they have a murder victim that he’s never met. Who was part of a filming for a (fake) reality show which included a Castle look-alike, and she apparently never told anyone about the filming. “Oh my god, you’re not going to believe what happened at work today!” Then they end the show with Kate putting seven bullets in the 3XK, having him pop back up like a weeble-wobble with no blood, Rick putting seven bullets into the guy (none of the 14 hit his head??), and him toppling over the bridge into the water to never. be. found. And Kate thinks Castle’s idea that this was all orchestrated, so people would think 3XK is dead, is a craaaaaaazzzyy idea. “You shot him. He’s dead. It’s over.” Yeah…ok. This is a woman who’s mother was murdered, and she was almost killed, as part of an elaborate and lengthy cover-up, and Castle’s idea is just crazy. It was a weak story.

• The Squatch says:

I really wish they had a “like” button here for this. ^

• ivane says:

you are like early beckett spending too much time overthinking, or pretending to be a tv critic. first most police forces don`t go for head shots, they go for body mass. the idea being that the suspect may live to be charged. plus in the uk any policeman that kills a suspect, is automatically suspected of at least manslaughter ( your 2nd degree murder, i think). and suspended immediately. i would guess there is something similar in the US, isn`t itcalled internal affairs?. lastly i never watch the opening credits, they mean nothing to me, i never knew nathan fillion existed until castle, the only one i vaguely remember is susan sullivan, stana was a total unknown, but she has proved to be the find of the series. she out acts all of them including nathan, as well as being possibly the most attractive woman i have ever come across – but then maybe i`m a litltle biaed where she is concerned. the sexiest thing i have ever seen on tv was er getting out of the pool in `to live and die in LA. altogether i enjoyed this episode, i didn`t get 3XK until he appeared, and as for `caskett` kates looks tell him all he needs to know

• Alichat says:

Pretending to be a tv critic? I am a TV critic…..and a movie critic…..and a book critic. Everyone is a critic. If you watch a show, you are allowed to have an opinion, whether it be constructive, critical, or praise. Regarding the head shot, most police officers also don’t unload their weapon on a suspect, especially once the suspect is down. They also don’t have a famous mystery writer following one of their detectives around for 4 years, sitting in on interrogations, stake-outs, checking out crime scenes, and entering buildings with SWAT. Basically, my point was it was weak storytelling. They’ve written better.

FYI…..An officer involved shooting in the US is investigated by Internal Affairs depending on the situation. It is not always investigated by them. (Also, the Internal Affairs division differs in name and in some policies by state.) It does not result in a manslaughter charge or a 2nd degree murder charge unless there was malicious intent or professional misconduct.

• robyn says:

Beckett’s character has come so far, the progression has been incredible. Clearly your having trouble understanding the show.

7. Andrea says:

I loved this episode so much. Andrew Marlowe knows how to tell a story; I think he’s one of the few showrunners that actually understands character development. Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic were simply fabulous. Such a well rounded episode.

8. chris says:

The body on the ceiling was just way too over the top for me, I switched channels and never tuned back in.

• John DeMayo says:

You’re complaining about “over the top” body placements on Castle? Really? Hasn’t that been one of it’s M.O.s since the first season? If you continued watching the episode, you would realize that it was staged to look like a scene that Castle was writing.

• Alan says:

that was the whole point, in fact it became a major plot point later in the episode. patience young padawan

9. RazerPhoenix says:

It was a great episode in terms of characters, but it was seriously pushing it in terms of believability and the ending was horrible.

The minute I seen him falling off the bridge I could sense what they were about to do, although I hoped I was wrong and they wouldn’t be that cliché… but alas.

The ending also felt very abrupt, like they ran out of time. I was really hoping we could have seen an “about damn time” and “we’re really happy for you guys” scene between Castle, Beckett and the boys.

Hopefully next week they will actually deal with the fallout from this episode in some way, and not just immediately return to status quo and pretend it never happened…even if it is just a brief “Good to see you on the other side of the bars again” comment.

10. Didn’t like the ep. I mean, of course Castle can’t really be guilty of murder — not in a snap, at least, right?

11. Kate says:

I LOVED it! I thought it was Castle at it’s best. This season has been amazing!

12. Den says:

Amazing episode! i love that stana didn’t half ass that ugly crying, man she was excellent in that scene with lanie.

Also, did anyone else think of the Terminator when she was shooting at Tyson over and over again? lol you do NOT mess with kate beckett or her man.

13. mdb says:

so very well done!!!! I knew Castle was being framed, brilliant way to bring 3XK back into the picture. Andrew Marlow & crew continue to make high quality shows. Not sure how they maintain the great writing, acting and directing but they do it week after week. Really a benchmark for what tv can and should be.

14. A says:

Loved every second of this episode. One of my favorites

15. Jim says:

I’m sorry, but after all the crap that 3XK has doone, SHOOT HIM IN THE FRAKKING HEAD!! Leave no doubt that he’s dead.

• LoRo1 says:

THIS!! We were yelling at the TV the same thing….Shoot him in the HEAD!

• Alan says:

you do realise that castle is not a marksman right, he was aiming to actually hit, he probably would have missed if he aimed for the head. he’s good but not that good

• FF says:

Yeah, the tiny problem being that if he tried to shoot 3XK’s head and misses, well Beckett’s head is right there. I don’t get why people are mad that they saw the actor’s name in the opening. First of all, I never pay attention to that. Watch the show, ignore the text. If you want to see that, watch it on the 2nd viewing. Secondly, if you watch any promos at all, it didn’t take a rocket scientist to know that if Castle is suspected of murder and framed (being as it’s our Castle he’s clearly innocent), who’d be doing that out of nowhere? Obviously 3XK, esp. cuz the actor is now available post-Pan Am. It was just a question of when he’d be back, not if. I was tense hoping they wouldn’t kill him off since I want him back in the future. Always a great thriller. Stana did an amazing job. The whole episode was terrific.

16. Nadia says:

Although the episode was a bit predictable. 3XK’s return was a no duh in my book after the synopsis of the ep was revealed, I still genuinely loved the entire hour. Lanie and Kate’s scene was amazing, like total tear jerker, crawl up in a fetal position and cry with them terrific. I will say I’m a little disappointed in the reveal to everyone else. I wanted them to have more fun keeping their relationship a secret. Although now that everyone knows BUT Gates should be very very interesting and funny! Season 5 is on par to be like season 2 and 3 in my book! Well done Marlowe!!!

17. Astrid says:

Loved it! Best of the season so far imo!

18. Dan says:

I liked everything except the end, that was waaaay to cliche and obvious.

Also, if you get shot that many times at close range it doesn’t matter if you wear a vest. The impact will turn your chest to a pile of broken ribs, leeking lungs and you will soon die anyway.

The end was just too stupid.

• Tom says:

Yeah, I thought the same thing about the final scene. Kevlar vests are good, but not that good. No one could take that many rounds at close range and still be able to fall off a bridge and calmly swim away. And neither Beckett nor Castle ever thought of just blowing his head off?

• tp says:

I was screaming for her to shoot him in the head. When Castle didn’t do it I thought…he’s not dead.

• Katherine215 says:

How do we know how many times he was actually hit though? Just because they fired a bunch of rounds doesn’t mean they all actually hit 3XK. Plus, he probably had some time to just float in the water and recover before the police and the search teams actually get on scene.

• Tom says:

Maybe Castle and Beckett need to take a romantic trip to an optometrist in the next episode because it would be tough to fire off that many rounds and miss from the distance they were shooting. ;^) One hit from that distance would have knocked 3XK on his ass and probably caused some injury. Falling off a bridge isn’t a healthy thing to do either. The idea that 3XK could have gotten away unscathed is pretty implausible.

19. Rachel says:

I loved this episode. The intensity was too much for me at times! I liked that Andrew Marlowe made this episode a little dark seeing as the first four episodes before this were pretty sugary sweet especially between Castle and Beckett. And I loved that they left it open for 3XK to come back and wreak more havoc later on.

20. Tom says:

I thought it was a good episode – better than I had expected from the promos. I’m still not a fan of shows that concoct dire circumstances for the lead character (usually in ratings sweeps periods) when everyone knows it’s all going to work out in the end. But at least this episode pretty much dissolved the “secret” Caskett relationship. And it was good to see the core cast (even Gates) never really believed Castle was a murderer. It was also good to see Beckett stand by Castle. The whole episode was a little dark, and kinda shameless. But it moved the overall story forward, so it was okay. I tend to prefer the more fun episodes, so next week sounds more to my liking.

21. Susan says:

We love Castle, but didn’t like this episode. The body on the ceiling was so graphic and the whole episode was very depressing. The first episodes of this season had a good mix of mystery and comedy. They had a good formula – why do the powers-that-be think that they have to change a good thing?

• Katherine215 says:

The whole season can’t be all light and fluffy. The darker, more serious times make you appreciate the lighter stuff that much more. I thought it was a great episode and it kind of grounded the Caskett relationship imo. Definitely moved them forward – Beckett had the whole, “stand by your man” thing in high gear tonight. It also showed some movement in Gates and Castle’s relationship – in her way, she really stood by him, too.

• Nev says:

Marlowe himself said every once in a while you have remind the fans that investigating murder and crime is dangerous, so we cannot have all fluffy, happy-g-lucky episodes. Plus, the more trials Castle and Beckett can get through, the stronger their relationship.

And all you Bones fans who watch the show and compare it to Bones are just being silly. Or you’re just jealous that Marlowe did the hook up of his two main characters better than the Bones creator and we Castle fans actually got to see the hookup.

• Stacey says:

It’s very easy to compare to BONES in this case. Bones just did a season finale and season opener where Brennan was framed for a murder where all evidence had her committing right down to survaillane. And if she had gone into the system (jail), she would have been in danger. And so she escaped. And to worked to solve the case so she could go home to Booth, and back to her life. The only difference was most of the staff on BONES was against helping to nail Brennan. Altough they got pressured into it. Castle was different in some points, but a very similar case. Right down to the killer getting away with it. Although in BONES case, he hasn’t faked his death yet…

I love both shows. But in this case with a very similar episode. It’s reasonable to call the show out given Marlowe has gone to press with his opinions on how BONES is handliing it’s show!

• mco says:

I could agree with you. If only multiple shows hadn’t had done.it before and you can find similarities between all.of them. The Hero may be a killer but Oh no it’s just a set up is a.common plot that is sure.to.find his way into every.cop show.
            Now you want to compare Castle and Bones. We can go.on. I love both shows too. But for me in this case Castle handle the common plot better. Mostly because I think that the set up and the escape of the Villain needs less suspention of disbelief. So on this one Castle wins IMO
            I also think that Castle did the X-Files episode or the hook up better.
            And I would agree it’s Because Marlowe watch Bones.
            But you know what ?
            In the future another (serious) showrunner will see Castle and Bones will learn from their qualiies and flaws. Their mistakes and very good ideas.
            So that man will write an even better show with an even.better take in whose classic episodes that every shows do.
            We will still enjoy Bones when we will rewatch it. We will still enjoy Castle. And we will have a new show that will be better than Bones and Castle combine when.with.talk.about Relationships and common plots
            That is good news for us people. It means even better television in the future.
            So smile enjoy both shows, Marlowe have done his homework very well (I watched a lot of more show and trust me, you can see the man learnt from a lot of others than Bones). And Hart Hanson before him also worked that way. Bones and Booth are a lot like Mulder and Scully.I can see which element Hanson kept because it was.good and.which he didn’t because it was a mistake. (except for waiting too long. But I can’t blame him, it take guts and a lot of people though Marlowe crazy to try to go against the so-called moonlighting curse after only 4 seasons) . And I am sure you can find a show that inspire Chris Carter for Mulder and Scully and see what he kept and what he left out. I think we could do it and go.far in past and find John Steed and Emma Peel as the origins (Both for relationship AND common case plots btw) And Even then, I am sure you could find something similar in books or movies before them.
            Does that means that the most recent shows is always better ? Not necessarely. That depends if the show runner comes to the right conclusions. Plus there is so much more than the Ship and the.common plots
            Overall X-Files is Better than Castle and Bones. However and Bones and and Castle beat it in the relationship department.
            And I still rewatch Mulder and Scully with great pleasure.

• Kelly says:

I agree with you. Plus, I feel the show does a really good job of balancing light and dark episodes. I never feel bombarded by one side. Overall, I really liked this episode. The actors all did a great job with the serious material proving they are adept at comedy and drama and I liked the story. Sure, I didn’t understand why neither of them shot 3xk in the head, but that wasn’t enough to derail the whole episode. I like the fact that he could come back and reek havoc again. Another enjoyable Castle imo.

• Audrey says:

Susan, the show has been “graphic” since season one. Remember the episode where the lady was stuffed into her safety box or the other episode where the plastic surgeon was found suffocated in his car? The show is staying quite true to its form throughout the years (the balance between humor and drama) and I must applaud Marlowe to be able to keep me excited every Monday all these years. Many shows start to lose their flames after a couple years or so. Not my Castle.

22. Becks says:

This ep was amazing! Definitely kept me on my toes. And I’m glad that they left it open for 3XK to come back, probably around Feb. sweeps time lol

• Becks says:

Also, I love that the majority of Castle eps (especially this season!) are much lighter than other crime shows, but I like having an ep like this every now and then that reminds us that the characters are still dealing with crazy dangerous murderers every week!

23. Mari says:

Wow that was an incredible episode. Top 2 from the season so far.

24. Sal says:

I LOVED IT!
    It was so damn intense..we all know Castle dint kill anyone, it was amazing to see how the whole team decided to find the person responsible. Kate and Castle were so cute, im glad they managed to fit in some romance in here.
    3XK is a great storyline, I dint pay attention to the credits luckily and I was like OK! when he came to visit Castle.
    The end was twisty too.
    A different change from the normal, fun Castle episodes, not that I wouldnt want them!
    Im waiting to see how the group will re-act properly to ‘Caskett’ now that everyone knows. Well except Gates.
    I wonder if they’ll ever bring 3XK back.
    This is one of the best crime shows!

25. These supervillian episodes where they do things so unbelievable that no main character could get away with it always leave me dissatisfied.

26. siskaaw says:

I actually loved this episode, it have a good story and with 3XK back. But it just missed something. When Castle told Beckett that Tyson gonna kill him, i thought to myself “Kate say that you love him” You know, at least Caste knows what she feels about him. But it didn’t come out until the end of episode. But over all, Andrew really did a great job as a writer. And i hoping for more ‘action’ in next episode

• DarkDefender says:

I totally thought Castle would say I love you as the elevator doors were closing when he got taken to “central booking”..

• John says:

Well, as he was simply escaping with some co-conspirators the moment wasn’t as dramatic for him and in retrospect saying that then would be easily seen as a cheap shot. Being involved in a “fake” transport isn’t the time to say I love you it seems to me… The transport was fake: so what else was?

Liked the ep.

• luli says:

my feelings exactly…. i’m waiting for kate to say i love you.

27. Vivian says:

Amazing episode! One of the best from the show. I really don’t get why some people are complaining, I thought it was a nice change, this season has been really lighter and fun. But I love me some drama!

28. Lilu says:

this ep was sooo awesome, so kickass, so tens the whole time!!! I loved it!, I loved the boys and their reaction too. they’re so sweet :)
    and stana’s acting FTW!!!
    BEST EPISODE this season!!!

29. Nicole says:

I thought it was a good episode. It was more dranatic than the others. Not all episodes can be light hearted. I felt for Kate when she was with Lanie I just wanted to give her a hug. She stood by her man never stopped fighting for him. She even asked Espo how tight was security at central she wanted to break him out. One of my favorite scenes is when Castle and Beckett reunited at the library. I not go

• RichardD not C says:

Remember in season 3 ep 5, “Anatomy of a Murder”… Kate said to Richard… i will get you out of a jail…. remember also what mom said before… that’s my boy his true love.

• Audrey says:

This is why I don’t think I need to hear a “I love you” from Kate (but it’d sure be nice and it’s inevitable for the show) because her actions say it all and more during this episode.

30. Nicole says:

Hit post be accident. I was going to say was when Tyson rames Beckett car on the bridge it startled me because here they were having a nice convo about there relationship than out of no where Tyson hits them.

31. Isabel says:

Stana Katic is, hands down, the best actress EVER. When she cries, I cry.

32. Patty says:

I know from the promo that rick had to be set up, but as the episode unfolded I started to get worried about how they where gonna get out of it. It was full of suspense for me, a great episode untill the 3XK killer showed up. I didn´t like that he just explained everything, I would have rather Castle figured it out and that the 3XK just left a clue.
    The finale was anticlimatic, If they were going to leave the killer loose, they should have eliminated the last scene, of just show him planning his next move.

33. Templar says:

So lame. Beckett walking toward his car shooting over the door and not one head shot? Yeah, right.

• Nev says:

Get a life. There’s a reason she didn’t shoot him in the head: so they can bring him back and give you another episode to bitch and complain about.

• Lisa says:

No need to be rude. I’m sure Templar meant it wasn’t realistic because police are trained to make the kill shot. You don’t draw your weapon unless you mean to kill.

Glad you enjoyed the episode, but that doesn’t mean there weren’t flaws.

• Lydia says:

I thought they were trained to aim for the center of mass, though. Not get fancy and try to hit more difficult targets.

• Kurt says:

WIth the advent of kevlar the mantra was changed to” Two in the body/One in the head/you be alive/they be dead”. If I was Castle and had seen her basically empty the gun at him on the way over to the car and have him STILL come up, I would have gone directly for the head.

• ivane says:

lisa they are not trained to make the kill shot they are trained for body mass – no police organisation in the civilised world is trained to kill. watch series 1 where they are on the shooting range 90% of becketts shots are in the mass – thats where the highest score are- sorry i forget which episode, but early in the season

• Olivia says:

Nev, just found your comment very funny. People, it’s a TV show. Who cares, if he got away, Who cares if the bullets hit him or not. Seriously who give a flying F! Oh diddums, the episode was too dark. You’re right Nev, get a life! Stop watching the show if you are just going to pick on every little thing. If you do that, then you are just spoiling your own enjoyment (that’s to Alichat- seriously?!) Don’t think about it too much and just enjoy it.

34. Spencer says:

Did no one else notice that Vlada Gelman wrote “Kate and Beckett’s relationship” instead of Castle & Beckett’s relationship or Kate & Rick’s relationship???

35. Bella says:

I’m tired of these invincible criminal storylines on shows like this. I was disappointed they didn’t actually manage to kill him in the end. I mean, for Pete’s sakes, with all the rounds fired at him, you would think they would have aimed at least a few at his head, figuring he was wearing body armor. Plus, the amount of bubbles in the river below was way more than a drowning person would put out. It was ridiculous. I was disappointed over-all, although I was intrigued in the beginning. One thing I did like was the realistic way that Esposito found out about Castle and Beckett.

36. Eve says:

This episode was so incredibly dark with none of the typical Castle lightheartedness. I really love this show bc of its ability to balance light and dark. This week was all dark. Kind of off putting. Excellent acting by all especially Stana and John.

37. Jan says:

uhm… lastnite abc was broadcasting the hurricane there was no castle i hope they re-air it missed it here in Belize

38. Astrid says:

I don’t think you should m

39. taliesin says:

The pacing for the episode was off. It was too rushed. This really needed to be a two-parter so that we had time to process each different set of emotions: Castle’s, Beckett’s, the familly’s, etc. The ending was also soft. Castle and Beckett have been in more then enough conspiracies to have it end where only Castle believe’s it’s not over.

The episode was a C when it could have been an A.

40. Maria says:

This episode is easily in my top 5 Castle favorites ever. The acting was fantastic all around, but especially Stana in her crying scene. I loved seeing Kate stand by her man and Lanie and the boys stand by their friends. I’m glad every episode isn’t this dark or intense, but it’s good to have one of these from time to time, for balance. It is, after all, a crime show. Anyway, well-written Mr. Marlowe, well-acted everyone!!

41. James says:

Loved it. yes it was predictable and yet Marlowe has a way of pulling it off so you don’t care IMO. I loved Penny Johnson in this episode, she’s still a hard ass but is starting to be more accepting of Castle which is cool. If I had one complaint i don’t think Marlowe handled the telling Espo she’s with castle too well it seemed forced to me. with out a doubt the best season yet can’t wait to see it unfold.

42. Lisa says:

Great episode! Loved all the shout outs to previous eps, the continuity was fantastic. Not a huge SK fan but she was brilliant in this ep. Jon Huertas was very good as well. The lighter eps are the backbone of the show but the serious eps always end up being my favorites.

43. Audrey says:

I love everything about this episode. From the twist, drama, to the little humor moments, I love them all. I particularly love all the callback to previous episodes. And don’t start me on Caskett – they are amazing. This episode was made of WIN in my book.

44. TV Lover says:

I’ve always liked Castle a lot but few episodes “have teeth” so when one comes along that does it makes me fall on love with the show. Last night’s episode was one of those!

45. Ryan says:

Glad I didn’t watch the credits. They have ruined episodes before, on other shows. I’m disappointed that they would do that for an episode that is supposed to have have a surprise twist. He’s not exactly one of the most famous actors, but it’s more recognizable now.

46. skrable2 says:

What I was hoping for was this to be Castle trying to write his new Heat novel, and running this scenario through in his mind. That would have kept the early intensity … and given them an out that wasn’t so derivative of other “serial killers who haunt the heroes” storylines.

Also, why didn’t they shoot the guy between the eyes? Beckett was angry enough, and experienced enough, to do that as she was firing into the truck. Even Castle could have fired his fourth or fifth shot at 3XK’s head.

Either scenario would have ended the episode with closure. I have no interest in “the hunt for 3XK” stories with Castle.They have their main backstory with Beckett’s mother’s murder.

Worse still, next week they go to a Comic-Con event with everyone back to happy go lucky mode.

47. Teri says:

Loved everything except the ending which I thought was cold.. After not dying again, Kate and Rick could have at least hugged or kissed in relief.

48. GeoDiva says:

How about mentioning that now everyone knows about them?!? (except the Captain)

49. Stacey says:

My issue while it was a compelling episode. It’s too late in the run of the show, for everyone to suddenly seriously look at Richard as a killer. Yes he’s newly with Kate. And she has a right to wonder. But come on, he’s been tooooo into her to think he started up with someone almost right after. And for the gang to really be seriously thinking that he might be guilty.

And my main issue. It’s way too similar to BONES recent season finale, right down to Rick escaping. And how being in jail would be a death sentence which was what it would have been for Brennan if she had allowed herself to be arrested. Someone who expertly set up Rick. BONES did it with Pelant. Marlowe has had it’s share of PR statements (mostly about pairing up the lead couple) about BONES, and hired ex BONES writers in the past. But come on, to do a episode soooo similar this quick is stupid…. It took me right out of the episode. And I had been enjoying the season so far. Much more than last season.

• skrable2 says:

Excellent comparison. Bones has always been a bit darker anyway; Castle doesn’t need to go down that road

• FF says:

Wow, will Bones fans (who give the rest of their show’s fandom a bad name) quit trying to negatively compare the two? All I hear is how it’s just like this thing in Bones or that thing. Bones didn’t first come up with the stuff that gets cited. Get over it. The shows can both exist. I tried Bones and don’t happen to like it, but I don’t go talking smack about out of some sense of an inferiority complex. I like Emily Deschanel and Hart Hanson so I root for them. It’s too bad you feel you’ve got to make the two shows compete.

• madbengalsfan85 says:

As a Bones fan, I find your theory to be flawed. While the plot device is similar, Marlowe used it to prove Beckett’s trust in Castle, even when facts were stacked against him. Hanson used it to force Brennan to make an impossible choice to protect her family. If you’re going to criticize the episode, do it based on the merits of the episode, not based on a similar story line from another show

50. Daisy says:

Loved it. My new years wish on this site cam true, the return of 3XK. And no way he’s dead.