Hurricane Sandy Vs. TV: Monday Primetime Sked Changes, Kimmel Cancels First Brooklyn Show

Hurricane Sandy TV ScheduleHurricane Sandy is washing out Monday night programming and some East Coast TV productions as easily as she is eroding the shores.

RELATED | Storm Und Drang: Great TV Weather Events from Bones, Tree Hill and Other Shows

UPDATE: With regards to Monday’s primetime slate, CBS has bumped its originally scheduled line-up of fresh sitcoms and a Halloween-themed Hawaii Five-0 in favor of repeats and a 10 o’clock news special on the severe weather event. Likewise, The CW, anticipating news pre-emptions/mass power outages, is replacing new 90210 and Gossip Girl episodes with repeats.

Turning to late-night TV: ABC’s Jimmy Kimmel announced that the first of Jimmy Kimmel Live‘s week of shows being taped in Brooklyn has decided to not mess with Mother Nature. “Though it pains us to do it, JKLfrom #Brooklyn tonight is cancelled,” Kimmel shared via Twitter. “I’m disappointed too, but we want you to be safe.” As for the rest of the week, a statement from JKL reads: “We are hopeful to be back on the air [Tuesday] with Howard Stern, Tracy Morgan and Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings.”

Kimmel’s peers meanwhile appeared to be standing by their Monday plans. “We will be doing a new show … no matter what,” NBC’s Jimmy Fallon tweeted on Sunday. This morning, he added: “Everyone in tonight’s studio audience gets a free Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream [coupon]; by afternoon (UPDATE) he noted, “We sent our audience home just to be safe. But we are doing our show tonight anyway. Should be fun.”

Likewise, a spokeswoman for Late Show With David Letterman tells us the CBS talker (UPDATE) is also doing Monday’s show without an audience. Watch Dave’s audience-free monologue now:

By Sunday, at least 14 New York City-based productions — The Good Wife, 666 Park Avenue, 30 Rock and Smash included — had hit the pause button and shuttered their doors in preparation for the arrival of the “Frankenstorm,” our sister site Deadline reported.

1. icywinter2 says:

I’ll bet no one will venture out during this storm to be in the audience for Kimmel’s tv show. It’s not safe to go out during a hurricane to begin with

2. TV Gord says:

That’s too bad for Jimmy. He seemed to hopeful when he promoted tonight’s show on GMA and Live with Kelly and Michael this morning. Sandy better not mess with him getting his idol, David Letterman, on the show on Wednesday.

Stay safe, everyone!

3. Rebecca says:

that stinks for Jimmy!
    Thanks to Sandy, I got released from work early-which is prime time to catch up on some DVR if the power stays on. Stay safe fellow east coasters.

4. cjeffery7 says:

i’ll be interested this evening to see if fallon and letterman are still on AND what its like w/o an audience.

5. TV Gord says:

I just heard that Stewart and Colbert are airing reruns tonight.

6. Tom says:

CBS’ entire lineup is cancelled according to a tweet by Michael Urie RE Partners

7. Linda says:

But the other CBS shows are going to air their originally scheduled planned episodes? Huh, that’s weird that just H50 will be a rerun then.

8. DC says:

Thank God for cable. I’ve been stuck inside looking forward to something to watch all day. Now everythings repeats??

• Mindy says:

It really does stink! Here in the midwest we get storms and tornados but the networks do not cancell their new episodes for us! Now we have nothing to watch. Does not make much sense to me!

• Full Blooded Tampon says:

I agree! I am in Tampa, Florida and thought the same about us.

• Allyson says:

Here in Louisiana, we have experienced many hurricanes and not one network has cancelled their tv shows out of respect for us. I am sorry the Northeast is dealing with this nightmare. Believe I have been there and understand what they are dealing with. It is a nightmare. I just don’t understand why they can’t give the same respect for the Gulf Coast. I feel networks should cancel normal programming for everyone who experiences a natural disaster, Gulf coast, Midwest, Northeast,etc. As I recall 2004-2005 were some of the worst hurricane seasons ever.

9. Britta Unfiltered says:

I can’t imagine Letterman without an audience. Now I am curious to watch it, but I will be stuck at work.

• TV Gord says:

Back in his NBC days, he did some great shows without an audience. The best one was when he decided it was too hot to do a show, so they just sat around in his office. After a casual segment with Teri Garr, he convinced her to get into his shower, wearing only a towel. It was a fun night! I think tonight will be, too.

10. Elyse says:

so when will we get to see this weeks H50 GG and 90210???

11. Jane says:

As long as Castle doesn’t default to repeats, I’ll be okay.

12. deb says:

What about Revolution? I suppose it will air, since Jimmy Fallon is doing a new show.. right?

13. Tom says:

I understand New York is a big market, but a huge chunk of the population does not live on the east coast, so why are they pre emoting this for everyone? Is it really just because New York won’t be able to watch?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Because if the East Coast — including the country’s most populated city — cannot watch either because of power outages or local preemptions, the ratings will take a measurable hit. So why throw a fresh episode at a depressed potential audience?

14. Jackie says:

Tom its not just new york but the entire east coast that hurricane sandy is affecting. And as long as I have Castle I’ll be just fine.

15. lily says:

ugh! i want 9-O now! -_-

16. Rain says:

Figures, The Voice and Castle aren’t postponing which means I have to miss both because of the CONSTANT weather coverage. I can look out my freakin’ window and see the wind and rain. Why can’t they just run a scroll at the bottom of the screen??

• Irena Gallo says:

I guess you didn’t see the scroll that said that programming would be aired on different channels (CBS, NBC, ABC) while local channel did weather coverage. Cause it was, the new Castle and reruns of other stuff on networks.

17. Steph says:

I am really happy Castle is still planned to air. Hopefully, I will still have power to watch…..

18. Eli says:

Any chance some of these new episodes will air in Canada?

19. JB Smooove says:

The 90% not having hurricane problems have to suffer as well. Spreading the suffering.

• Cassie says:

I’m at least 600 miles away from NYC… I’m not on the coast and the wind gusts here are 40mph. There are scattered power outages… Its far less than “90%” of the country not having hurricane problems. It would have been great to see new eps of my shows, but that’s not in the cards tonight.

20. Tony says:

Didn’t check TVLine until now regarding CBS. They should have run a crawler at the bottom during the beginning of the episodes to let viewers know what was going on. For a bit, my wife and I thought the DVR was screwing up.

• Danielle H. says:

Me too. I came looking for a new article and was disappointed to find it tacked on to one I read this afternoon. I barely found it before I signed off. O well.

21. TV Gord says:

Live with Kelly and Michael, Anderson Live and Katie will all be reruns tomorrow. No word on The View, but I can’t imagine they’d attempt a new show, either.

22. Bonesfan47 says:

Here in the East Coast all they are showing is news on the Hurricane and I really wanted to see Fallon tonight it’s so upsetting especially because I don’t want to see news all day but that is what they are doing I wanted something that will make me laugh like Jimmy Fallon I was interested in watching it especially because of the lack of audience. and I am sad that I missed Castle too I wish they were actually showing the shows instead of hurricane coverage all day long I understand showing it throughout the day but I would like to also watch some other shows too

• TV Gord says:

Not everyone in the east is missing Castle and Fallon and all. It depends on how close you are to the action, I guess.

• lshepard47 says:

I live near Philly and there is really not too much action here I really feel like they could have at least shown the 10pm and late night talk shows since those are the shows that were still on CBS is showing their shows so I wish that NBC, FOX and ABC did that as well

23. Allyson says:

Why is it when there is a hurricane in the south none of the networks cancelled tv shows for the night. Don’t get me wrong my thoughts and prayers go out to New York, Jersey, and rest of the Northeast. I do have some relatives who live in New York state. It kinda brothers me how they don’t offer the same courtsey for us along the Gulf Coast. How many hurricanes has Louisiana or Florida had? Too many frankly. I don’t want to offend anyone, but it brothers me that we don’t get this break. If you are going to cancel tv shows make it fair to everyone especially for us in the South who deal with it often. I do think it is smart to cancel,b/c safety is a priority and television isn’t, but the courstey should be given to us as well.

• lshepard47 says:

The only reason they cancelled shows was because it would effect the ratings of the show it’s more than a couple of states it’s the whole east coast with over a million of people without pwower that is why the decided to not show all new episodes of certain tv shows and it’s not only people who lost power that would not be able to see the show but also a lot of people couldn’t see the shows because most of the network channels had local news on all day talking about Frankenstorm

24. Jerri says:

What about Tuesday’s line up?

25. Mikael says:

I’m glad to hear they did this, since I was pretty upset that my DirecTV wasn’t working. I ended up not missing anything!

26. Mary Ann says:

My daughter is stuck in a house on Long Island without power. Her apartment was flooded, her car is destroyed, the water on the road in front of her house is too deep for anyone to come get her, and you people are upset because you didn’t get to watch your tv shows? Get some perspective!

27. Beverly Steele says:

Even though I live in coastal Massachusetts, we were spared the damage caused by the recent hurricane. I am a Homeland fan and was looking forward to tonight’s episode and I certainly realize that for obvious reasons changes have had to be made. All I want is some info about when we can expect to see tonight’s episode. All we got was an ambiguous crawler on the TV screen saying that some Showtime channels were affected; there was no other information. My Internet/tv provider knew absolutely nothing either…totally clueless.
    Beverly