Hell on Wheels Renewed for Season 3

Get More: News, Renewals

It’s full steam ahead for Hell on Wheels.

The Anson Mount-starring period drama has received a 10-episode third season from AMC, TVLine has confirmed.

RELATED | AMC and Dish Network Resolve Dispute

The gritty Western serial’s sophomore season, which wrapped at the beginning of October, averaged a respectable 2.4 million viewers.

Comments (34)

• Yessssssss! Great show

Comment by Dave – October 29, 2012 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yesss! Thank you! ^^ Such good news!

Comment by dendu – October 29, 2012 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A truly excellent show! Glad to see that quality is recognized and AMC is a leader in that department!

Comment by Lynne – October 29, 2012 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES!!!!!!!!! i was worried there for a while

Comment by Michael Lee Kirk – October 29, 2012 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That really surprises me. When they killed off Lilly, I thought for sure that meant they knew they weren’t coming back.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – October 29, 2012 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They’re pretty much repeating his motivation from season 1, which is to find the person who killed his significant other/loved one. I don’t think he actually found the one ultimately responsible for killing his wife. maybe that guy will team up with the one who killed Lily and he can kill them both.

Comment by Michael Sacal – October 29, 2012 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Except the one who killed Lily is already dead.

Comment by TheDude – October 29, 2012 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • can we be sure that the Swede died?

Comment by Michael Sacal – October 29, 2012 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Great!! Now hoping Lilly did not die:P

Comment by tahina – October 29, 2012 07:26 PM PDT
        • He’s not dead

Comment by Debbie – March 4, 2013 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hell’s yea!!! Outstanding although a little sad to see Lilly go. I don’t think we’ve seen the last of the Swede…..

Comment by PB – October 29, 2012 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excellent news! Along with Copper and Justified, this is a can’t-miss show for me.

Comment by CF – October 29, 2012 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can hardly hold back the tears, I’m so excited about this. Thank you AMC!!! I will sleep like a baby tonight!!

Comment by Kat – October 29, 2012 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank God! I’ve been waiting for this for weeks

Comment by adam – October 29, 2012 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news!

Comment by Joanna – October 29, 2012 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thrilled, relieved, excited, grateful!!! I hope that the person who responded to an earlier post about Lily’s demise turns out to be right — i.e. that she’s not dead. We shall see – should be interesting to see how the storyline develops. I truly hope she’s not dead, but if she is, Cullen certainly has even more pain to cope with…and revenge…

Comment by catranchergal – October 29, 2012 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yea, that post was great b/c I never would have thought there was a way to undo Lily’s death. And, of course, I can’t get it out of my head. Super excited about the renewal!

Comment by Lora – October 29, 2012 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Lilly could just be barely breathing and start showing signs of movement in the opening of the new episodes. Come on bring her back. She was a very important actress on Hell On Wheels.

Comment by Debbie – March 4, 2013 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • In my opinion, Lily will still be with us. Even allowing for artistic license, the entire sequence with Swede killing Lily was absurd. He was too weak and close to death from his own wounds to perform these horrific deeds. Lily was the only person who was kind to him and they were co-conspirators in exposing the Durants’ fraud, so he had no reason to kill her. More likely, this was either a product of Swede’s near-death delerium or Cullen’s fabrication of her death for her own protection. If her contract was up or she wanted out, she should/could have been killed defending the railroad, the town or even Cullen. That would have been a more believeable and fitting death for the heroine that she was. I don’t think we’ve seen the last of Lily.

Comment by Katherine – November 1, 2012 11:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stoked! best show on TV

Comment by joel – October 29, 2012 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I second that emotion ! ! ! Now just hurry up and bring it on, I been kinda crushin’ on Mr. Bohanon since first sight of pilot episode. I already bought my 1st season DVD box set and lookin for the season 2 box set if available. Shoot I was wanting to trade places with Lilly Bell until the surprising Finale and WOW never seen that coming. So hopefully all you folks are right bout her survival.

Comment by Lori – March 7, 2013 02:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best.News.Ever. Honestly, I love this show and was so very sad when I thought it would end.

Comment by bri – October 29, 2012 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not terribly surprised, considering Breaking Bad is ending next summer and Mad Men in 2014.

Comment by Yeah – October 29, 2012 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amazing news! It’s good to see AMC giving the show yet another season even if it for whatever reason isn’t receiving much of a buzz. First season was in general pretty good but second season was just amazing. I’m really looking forward to the third!

Comment by Kasper – October 29, 2012 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • omg this totally made my day that season finale was epic anson mount is really cool in this

Comment by jakesorenson – October 29, 2012 05:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My favorite show on television. Yee-Haw! I can sleep tonight knowing it will be back for Season 3.

Comment by Karen Cohen (@MizLaura18) – October 29, 2012 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wth Lilly gone I’m not sure I care.

Comment by BrianR – October 29, 2012 09:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • me neither….I was a shipper.But without the Swede or Lilly there isn’t alot to look forward to.

Comment by Shaun – October 29, 2012 10:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I totally agree. I actually was pretty convinced after they killed off Lily that the show was getting canceled and I was already at peace with that.

Comment by Lyria – October 30, 2012 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not sure I can muster the enthusiasm with Lilly gone…

Comment by M – October 30, 2012 07:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about walking dead? Is that getting more seasons?

Comment by nate p – October 30, 2012 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy to know it’s coming back for another season. Can’t wait.

Comment by lisa – October 30, 2012 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My husband and I , in our 60′s love this series and are so thankful it will be back, We are buying each DVD season to share with others who did not see it. It is so historical, we love the steam trains!!

Comment by Marilyn L. Rowe – November 7, 2012 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think they killed Lilly; when the Swede was on the railroad saying they are consumated in Lilly’s death, Colum had a slight grin, plus he didn’t seem that devestated. That’s all I got to go on, but it would ruin the show if Lilly was gone. I won’t believe it til I see it.

Comment by Judi Sewall – November 12, 2012 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post