Hell on Wheels Renewed for Season 3

It’s full steam ahead for Hell on Wheels.

The Anson Mount-starring period drama has received a 10-episode third season from AMC, TVLine has confirmed.

RELATED | AMC and Dish Network Resolve Dispute

The gritty Western serial’s sophomore season, which wrapped at the beginning of October, averaged a respectable 2.4 million viewers.

1. Dave says:

Yessssssss! Great show

2. dendu says:

Yesss! Thank you! ^^ Such good news!

3. Lynne says:

A truly excellent show! Glad to see that quality is recognized and AMC is a leader in that department!

4. YES!!!!!!!!! i was worried there for a while

5. Britta Unfiltered says:

That really surprises me. When they killed off Lilly, I thought for sure that meant they knew they weren’t coming back.

6. PB says:

Hell’s yea!!! Outstanding although a little sad to see Lilly go. I don’t think we’ve seen the last of the Swede…..

7. CF says:

Excellent news! Along with Copper and Justified, this is a can’t-miss show for me.

8. Kat says:

I can hardly hold back the tears, I’m so excited about this. Thank you AMC!!! I will sleep like a baby tonight!!

9. adam says:

Thank God! I’ve been waiting for this for weeks

10. Joanna says:

Great news!

11. Thrilled, relieved, excited, grateful!!! I hope that the person who responded to an earlier post about Lily’s demise turns out to be right — i.e. that she’s not dead. We shall see – should be interesting to see how the storyline develops. I truly hope she’s not dead, but if she is, Cullen certainly has even more pain to cope with…and revenge…

• Lora says:

Yea, that post was great b/c I never would have thought there was a way to undo Lily’s death. And, of course, I can’t get it out of my head. Super excited about the renewal!

• Debbie says:

Lilly could just be barely breathing and start showing signs of movement in the opening of the new episodes. Come on bring her back. She was a very important actress on Hell On Wheels.

• Katherine says:

In my opinion, Lily will still be with us. Even allowing for artistic license, the entire sequence with Swede killing Lily was absurd. He was too weak and close to death from his own wounds to perform these horrific deeds. Lily was the only person who was kind to him and they were co-conspirators in exposing the Durants’ fraud, so he had no reason to kill her. More likely, this was either a product of Swede’s near-death delerium or Cullen’s fabrication of her death for her own protection. If her contract was up or she wanted out, she should/could have been killed defending the railroad, the town or even Cullen. That would have been a more believeable and fitting death for the heroine that she was. I don’t think we’ve seen the last of Lily.

12. joel says:

Stoked! best show on TV

• Lori says:

I second that emotion ! ! ! Now just hurry up and bring it on, I been kinda crushin’ on Mr. Bohanon since first sight of pilot episode. I already bought my 1st season DVD box set and lookin for the season 2 box set if available. Shoot I was wanting to trade places with Lilly Bell until the surprising Finale and WOW never seen that coming. So hopefully all you folks are right bout her survival.

13. bri says:

Best.News.Ever. Honestly, I love this show and was so very sad when I thought it would end.

14. Yeah says:

Not terribly surprised, considering Breaking Bad is ending next summer and Mad Men in 2014.

15. Kasper says:

Amazing news! It’s good to see AMC giving the show yet another season even if it for whatever reason isn’t receiving much of a buzz. First season was in general pretty good but second season was just amazing. I’m really looking forward to the third!

16. jakesorenson says:

omg this totally made my day that season finale was epic anson mount is really cool in this

17. My favorite show on television. Yee-Haw! I can sleep tonight knowing it will be back for Season 3.

18. BrianR says:

Wth Lilly gone I’m not sure I care.

• Shaun says:

me neither….I was a shipper.But without the Swede or Lilly there isn’t alot to look forward to.

• Lyria says:

I totally agree. I actually was pretty convinced after they killed off Lily that the show was getting canceled and I was already at peace with that.

19. M says:

Not sure I can muster the enthusiasm with Lilly gone…

20. nate p says:

How about walking dead? Is that getting more seasons?

21. lisa says:

So happy to know it’s coming back for another season. Can’t wait.

22. Marilyn L. Rowe says:

My husband and I , in our 60’s love this series and are so thankful it will be back, We are buying each DVD season to share with others who did not see it. It is so historical, we love the steam trains!!

23. Judi Sewall says:

I don’t think they killed Lilly; when the Swede was on the railroad saying they are consumated in Lilly’s death, Colum had a slight grin, plus he didn’t seem that devestated. That’s all I got to go on, but it would ruin the show if Lilly was gone. I won’t believe it til I see it.