Ratings: Grimm Hits One-Year High, Nikita Drops, Mockingbird Lane Middling

Get More: News, Premieres, Ratings

NBC’s Grimm had a very happy Halloween this Friday, rising 27 percent in the demo to hit a 1.9 — topping the night and delivering its second-highest rating ever, behind the year-ago series premiere.

In total audience, the sophomore spooker saw a 19 percent gain to 6 million total viewers, its largest draw since Nov. 4, 2011.

RELATED | Fall TV Poll: Did Mockingbird Lane Scare Up Your Interest?

Leading into Grimm, NBC’s Mockingbird Lane pilot-turned-standalone special drew 5.4 mil and a 1.5, good enough for third place and marking the network’s highest rating in the Fridays-at-8 time slot in two years. (It also improved upon the last repeat to air in this space for NBC by more than 50 percent.) Will the Peacock reconsider and find the reboot a “Spot” on the schedule? Stay tuned!

RELATED | The New DVR Ratings Surge: Why Your Playback Habits Matter (and Why They Don’t)

Elsewhere on the night:

* Shark Tank (6.75 mil/1.8) dipped 5 and 10 percent week-to-week.

* Leading out of an NCIS repeat (7.4 mil/1.0), CSI: NY (10 mil/1.4) saw gains of 5 and 17 percent. Blue Bloods capped CBS’ night with 10.8 million total viewers (Friday’s largest audience) and a 1.4, up 5 and 8 percent.

* Both Top Model (1.14 mil/0.4) and Nikita (793,000 viewers/0.2 rating) dropped 33 percent in the demo.

RELATED | Fringe Post Mortem: Cast Member Praises This Week’s ‘Brave’ and Tragic Twist

* Fox’s Kitchen Nightmares returned to 2.7 mil and a 0.9, down 44 percent in the demo versus its Sept. 2011 opener. Fringe was steady in total audience (with 2.64 million viewers) but slipped a tenth in the demo to a 0.9.

Comments (73)

• Im so sad about Nikita’s ratings. The episode was great, but what else can be expected when the CW doesn’t promote it as much and the horrible lead it has.

Comment by MG – October 27, 2012 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I can’t believe the rating Nikita is getting. this show is great and this is season has been amazing… it would be a mistake if it was cancelled. i hope things improve cause this show deserves more.

Comment by luli – October 28, 2012 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • mockinbird lane would make a great pairing with grimm

Comment by iagoalmeida – October 27, 2012 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I second this. I actually stuck around to watch Grimm after ML. It would be a great Pair.

Comment by Amanda – October 27, 2012 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s a good idea.

Comment by robinepowell – October 28, 2012 08:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree I want to see more mockingbird lane, as well as Shirtless jerry oconnel & I loved grandpa, I think it would totally be a great fit for grimm

Comment by amy – October 28, 2012 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s interesting how the exact same data can be interpreted different ways on different sites. EW, for example, gave Mockingbird Lane’s ratings a much more positive spin, saying that it boosted Grimm’s ratings. I’d think, if they took that into consideration, and the fact that it got NBC its highest ratings for that time slot in 2 years would indicate that it has a definite chance for being picked up. “Middling” just seems an odd word to use, in that context. I mean, maybe “middling” for a Wednesday night and on ABC or CBS, but for NBC Friday night?

Comment by Will – October 27, 2012 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I will allow that “Middling” was a questionable call, but the fact remains that MBL is very expensive to produce, so as far as the numbers it would need to deliver to prove sustainable, a 1.5, I must imagine, falls short.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – October 27, 2012 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If NBC was expecting great numbers to recoup the cost of the pilot, then they shouldn’t have shoved in on a Friday night with virtually no promotion. The only reason the majority of us knew about it was because TVline and EW talking about it.

Comment by Ann – October 27, 2012 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • NBC doesn’t always make the best moves, but I think this was probably the best they could do with MBL. Halloween season, paired with GRIMM, adequate promotion (online at least)…. The reality is that if there IS any chance of greenlighting it to series after all, they need to gauge audience interest now before the studio’s options on the cast expire.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – October 27, 2012 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Matt can they get picked up as a mini-series? ( like MISSING) I loved MBL!

Comment by Lilith – October 27, 2012 09:55 PM PDT
          • Lilith, Missing was not a miniseries, it was a normal series that Bombed in rating s and got cancelled, ABC just pulled some BS trickery to get in the miniseries category for the Emmys, if any last season show deserved to be considered a miniseries it was Awake, not only was it amazing it ended very well for a cancelled show, it was open-ended, oh I miss Awake. Missing sucked.

Comment by Mike – October 27, 2012 10:17 PM PDT
      • But there were quite a few affiliates (like the one in Detroit) that didnt even air MBL on Friday. They aired it – surprise! – on Saturday instead, and I know our affiliate was not alone. So, I’d like to see an adjusted rating based on actual possible viewers.

Comment by Temperence – October 28, 2012 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stinkita flops even worse than before!

Mockingbird Lane did not impress. A 1.5 isn’t enough to excite, even on a Friday.

Comment by Alex – October 27, 2012 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How dare you say that about Nikita?!! the show does not stink, is one of the best shows out there.

Comment by lisa – October 27, 2012 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Stinkita? What’re you, in grade one? Why don’t you go show your parents how clever you are by making some fart noises with your armpits while you’re at it?

Comment by Marc – October 27, 2012 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m very amused that you think a random post made by a stranger has any impact on this show’s renewal possibility. Down with Stinkita!

Comment by Alex – November 10, 2012 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you! Yes, it is an ok show, but not near the excellent original and the chemistry between the leads , I’m sorry Nikita fans, but Peta and Roy>>>>Maggie and Shane

Comment by Alberta Watson – October 29, 2012 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Mockingbird Lane rocked! I hope NBC finds a way to save it or another channel picks it up because it was too good to end just like that. I think everyone at NBC (and you) need to get rid of the bug that’s stuck in your collective a****.

Comment by Marissa – November 2, 2012 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The CW better do something about “Nikita”. It had double the amount of viewers at last season’s end. There’s a reason half of them didn’t return in the fall. They must realize that the scheduling is to blame for it.

Comment by Lambsilencer – October 27, 2012 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nikita’s ratings are scaring me. Stupid CW.

Comment by trev – October 27, 2012 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m trying not to freak out after 2 episodes, but after these results its hard not to. Its so sad the CW doesn’t realize what a brilliant show it has, & that fans end up doing all the promotion for it. Nikita is a wonderful show & I’m going to enjoy every minute of it that I get, ratings be damned! :)

Comment by ndavika – October 27, 2012 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nikita is far better than half of The CW series right now. 90210, for example, should have been cancelled a long time ago! I don’t think we need to worry so much about Nikita, at least not until 90210 gets cancelled. If I’m correct, they have worse ratings.

Comment by James – October 27, 2012 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Both have under a million viewers,but 90210 rose slightly to over a million viewers and i think 0.5 demo i episode two while Nikita fell more and 90210 has a much better demo(,90210 0.4-0.5 & Nikita 0.2-0.3)which is more important.But both have ratings worthy of cancellation.90210 as a long running show will very likley and possabily get a final shortened season (like Gossip Girl & OTH) whereas Nikita won’t. Also, Nikita’s only in season three pulling these ratings,at least GG & 90210 are a couple seasons older.

Comment by Brandy – October 28, 2012 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Brandy i am so sick of your constant Nikita bashing.
          And you are really dumb to boot.Warner and CW stands to make a fortune on this show in syndication there is noway they are going to ignore all the potential money they can milk from Nikita for years in domestic and foreign syndication. You seriously are beyond stupid if you ignore that.

Comment by Michael – October 31, 2012 09:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i really dont want to say this but i think they need to come out and say this is the last season of nikita so the finale can be planned properly. either that or the cw gets a clue and starts promoting the best show they have for once

Comment by Alan – October 27, 2012 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did NBC win last Sunday too? That would mean they won 4 nights of a week (Technically this Sunday should be counted, but who cares)! Wow! Nobody could have predicted that after the last few years!

Comment by John – October 27, 2012 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For those of us who actually WATCHED Mockingbird Lane, and aren’t judging it strictly on hearsay and ratings: I thought it was great! Darker than the original, which I loved, but still had nods to its campy predecesor. The casting was fantastic, and the plot provided a cool way to introduce the beloved characters to a new generation. I would love for it to go to series, but as Matt said above, the numbers within the target demo are unlikely to support that far-fetched dream of mine. I think it would have performed better on a weeknight. Sadly, NBC’s reality show pride and joy, The Voice, would never allow for that.

Comment by Stephen V – October 27, 2012 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wednesdays and Thursdays were wide open. They could have made some adjustments if they really wanted to give it a chance.

Comment by POIfanatic – October 27, 2012 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sad with Nikita ratings! The episode was really good! the problem is the CW! Lack of promotion, bad lead and competing on a friday with Grimm and Fringe! BTW, Fringe was good too but super sad! Anyway CW have to change this!!

Comment by Ruby – October 27, 2012 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The thing I found interesting is Community’s tweet (#Darkest402) was more popular in the US and World Wide than Mockingbird Lane. Mockingbird was good, but I really want Community back already.

Comment by Abby – October 27, 2012 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will forever blame the CW for Nikita’s low ratings.

Comment by lisa – October 27, 2012 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Darn! Forgot to record MBL. Hope NBC repeats it

Comment by Ethel – October 27, 2012 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You can catch it on hulu if you don’t mind watching online.

Comment by Ace – October 27, 2012 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CW got to be paniced about Nikita’s ratings. It was one of the few shows that was solid for them on a weak night

Comment by gary – October 27, 2012 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There’s no denying that a Mockingbird Lane/Grimm Friday night pairing would do great for NBC. The question now is will NBC be willing to spend millions on an expensive series only to air it on a Friday?..I doubt it.

Comment by DC – October 27, 2012 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 1.5 is definitely good for a Friday…but they’d probably want something so high profile on another night of the week, and no telling how it would do there.

Comment by Alex – October 27, 2012 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You know how it works, guys? 10 million was spent on the pilot, yes. But other episodes would be much cheaper because the set is ready, the costumes are ready too, the other stuff is ready. That’s how it works. They spend lots of money on pilots because if picked up to series they’re gonna use it again. Therefor I’m sure other episodes would cost something between 1-2 million $. Looking at these ratings, NBC should definitely order it to series.

Comment by Jinjeon – October 27, 2012 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t know… they had a lot of especial effects… But I hope you’re right and get picked up….

Comment by Lucy – October 27, 2012 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Expensive cast, too… but I liked it. I’d watch the series if they made it.

Comment by Ace – October 27, 2012 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A 0.2 in the demo for Nikita? Will it even survive the entire season at this rate? (I know it got a full 22 episode order but wow, this is just brutal.) I love the show and that rating just hurts… maybe if it weren’t paired with the nothing-in-common crapfest known as America’s Next Top Model, it’d be okay… I mean, it was doing better than this at 8 p.m. last year at least.

Honestly, I think Arrow repeats would serve as a better lead-in at this point. At least the two concepts are similar enough that some crossover viewing might be possible. As it stands, how many people watching ANTM are gonna stick around to watch Nikita? This is the one CW scheduling move I never understood (I know they said it’s because Nikita skewed older and was a better lead-in for the news — a gross miscalculation, obviously.) Either way, they’re gonna have to do something soon: I’d flip the two Friday shows and put Nikita back at 8. At least it did a 0.6-0.7 in that timeslot last season.

Comment by Marc – October 27, 2012 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We get the Detroit stations (we lv in Canada) and they didn’t play Mockingbird Lane … Just local crappy programming. Would hv loved to hv seen it!

Comment by janet – October 27, 2012 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I didn’t get to see it either. Bell screwed up and aired Kitchen Nightmares from a Global feed. Which I don’t understand since Gordon Ramsey’s shows air on FOX, not NBC. I gave Global a blast on Facebook and Twitter, Bell’s next.

Comment by robinepowell – October 28, 2012 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly. And then they – with no warning – showed it on Saturday night at 8PM.

Comment by Temperence – October 28, 2012 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Move Nikita back to 8 you CW morons.

Comment by BrianR – October 27, 2012 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Worst scheduling decision ever. ANTM is a horrible lead-in for Nikita and Friday is a terrible night for it. Nikita should be following Arrow on Wednesday. Supernatural proved last season that it can stand alone on Friday nights.

Comment by Todd – October 27, 2012 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Uh, no. Arrow/Supernatural pairing = win for CW. Nikita costs less to make can deal with lower ratings.

Comment by Cody – October 27, 2012 10:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay Grimm and Blue Bloods!!

Comment by KCC – October 27, 2012 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nikita is seriously one of the best shows ever!!! CW needs to figure this out. i think pairing it with arrow would be the best idea!!! i live in canada so i wonder if international ratings are better, it could help the series continue!!!

Comment by sarah – October 27, 2012 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mockingbird Lane proves its about time the US networks start looking at more variable models. Most British shows have 6 or 8 episode series which both keeps the costs down and reduces the risk of a show not rating. Personally I’d like see them try 5 more episodes of Mockingbird Lane. That gives some time to see how it works without losing too much money if its doesn’t. Funny though, I can’t stand Eddie Izzard and he really surprised me here.

Comment by Scott – October 27, 2012 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not sure that model makes it cheaper to produce. The cost of the set, which MBL had what appeared to be an expensive one, can be prorated across 20 episodes in the current model but only 8 in the model you’re advocating,

Comment by Todd – October 27, 2012 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mockingbird Lane was awesome! They can easily ditch the “clothes” special effects and some other special F/X every week and get the budget under control. Great characters, great mix of humour, heart and creepyness. Great pairing with Grimm too. Please NBC, go for it!

Comment by Wendy – October 27, 2012 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really enjoyed MBL, it was well done- the graphics were great. I wish NBC had given it a chance. I would have tuned in again!

Comment by Andrea – October 27, 2012 06:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck fans got it another season when it looked like a goner
    perhaps there’s a way to do the same for Nikita.

Comment by DEIB – October 27, 2012 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So, CSI:NY officially got more audience on a Friday than CSI on a Wednesday (not demo, I’m counting total, but this is HUGE!). They up from last season, almost like Blue Bloods! THANK YOU, NCIS! 10th season, here we come. It won’t be a bubble show for the first time in years, you’ll see!!! :)

Also, YAY GRIMM! <3

Comment by Barbie Furtado – October 27, 2012 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How can a show like Nikita have such low ratings? His is that even possible? The Insider just wrote that Nikita is “one of the most expertly plotted, exquisitely acted and deeply emotional shows you’ll find anywhere on the dial” and I couldn’t agree more. I haven’t been this excited about a show in a really long time. Can’t the CW see what a brilliant show they have on their hands? It is ridiculous for a show like that with such an amazing plotline and with such great character development to fear cancellation. Can’t anything be done about this?

Comment by kali – October 27, 2012 10:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WOW at those Nikita ratings…UNDER 1 mill! That’s just terrible. Moving Nikita to Fridays was the worst thing the CW could ever do. It’s been losing viewers slowly but surely. And it’s unfortunate because it’s a great show…but it’s as if the CW doesnt care about it in terms of ratings and in terms of juicy, emotional, and action packed writing (at times I feel like it lacks a bit of that too..the juicy emotional part). But the move to Friday nights is the REAL reason to blame here….at the rate its going…I cant see it making it to another season :(

Comment by llws88 – October 27, 2012 10:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wasn’t Nikita on Friday nights last year?

Comment by Meg – October 27, 2012 10:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It was. Supernatural fans who stayed home to watch the show somewhat boosted Nikita’s ratings.

Comment by POIfanatic – October 27, 2012 11:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dear Nikita fans,
    Pls stop blaming other shows for the low ratings.

Comment by emy – October 28, 2012 12:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lead ins are important,if you don’t realize that you are dim.

Comment by Shaun – October 28, 2012 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • A show in its third season shouldn’t still be leadin dependent.Plus, if people really wanted to watch the show, they would no matter what’s on before it.Futhermore, Nikita had CWs best leadin in (VD) season one and underperformed & squandered it so …

Comment by Brandy – October 28, 2012 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So sad about Nikita!!!!!! ;(((((((((

Comment by AlbTrex – October 28, 2012 02:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved Mockingbird Lane. The humor is intelligent and I love the wink to the dark side of the Munsters. Hope they get at least a 12 episode pick up per season.

Comment by Bobby Milford – October 28, 2012 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved Mockingbird Lane. I’m really annoyed that I watched it though because I went in having no idea that it was just being billed as a one off now. I thought they were just doing an early showing of the pilot. I’ll be really upset if NBC doesn’t change it’s mind and make it into a series, I really want to know what happens to everyone next!

Comment by Rain – October 28, 2012 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • can we do something about Nikita? why don’t they move it to a thursday or something? and why pair it with America’s?? i hope things get better!!

Comment by luli – October 28, 2012 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They tried it Thurs, it didn’t perform up to so it moved to Fri and now that’s it’s ratings are under a million viewers and z0.2-0.3 it belongs on fri and is never leading Fri.Plus on thurs, it would be soundly beaten by XFactor,Idol,Greys ect.
      Also, it shouldn’t matter what it’s leadin is, if people really wanted to watch it,they would even if they don’t watch what’s on before,A show in its third season shouldn’t need a leadin.

Comment by Brandy – October 28, 2012 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy for Grimm, but sad for Nikita. I got the Nikita DVD’s from Netflix this summer, and it is a really good show. Anybody who enjoys action should check it out.

Comment by Renee – October 28, 2012 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really liked MBL. It was a good take on the Munsters in the 21st Centuary… the characters weren’t as stereotypical (in comparison to its source), the relationships and campness were amusing and the effects were great.

I don’t hold a lot of hope that NBC will continue it as it would be expensive to make, but I liked the suggestion that it could be made into a mini-series instead.

Comment by Sharon – October 28, 2012 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What was CW thinking, putting Nikita up against Fringe and Grimm?? It’s tough to be a genre show on a Friday at 9. At least at 8 there was no competition. I hope its overseas popularity keeps it going another season, when it’ll reach syndication. And for those saying it bombed on Thursday nights, I’m pretty sure it did much better than Beauty & The Beast is doing now, and better than Secret Circle did. Perhaps if the show was promoted better, it would do better. Get rid of that stupid Emily Owens show and move Nikita to Tuesdays.

Comment by Mikael – October 29, 2012 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d love to see Kate del Castillo stick around on Grimm, Grimm’s Halloween ep was terrific, just right for Halloween.

Comment by dolleyes – October 30, 2012 07:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want to see more Mockingbird Lane paired with the Grimm on Friday night. Why is Friday night so bad? I like it cause I can make an evening of it with the kids and not worry bout work or school in the morning. I would also like to see a series based on middle earth. Make it a fantasy friday trio.

Comment by Michele – January 3, 2013 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post