Once Upon a Time Exclusive: Ethan Embry Books Mysterious Storybrooke Visit

Get More: Casting News, Exclusive

We can’t hardly wait to tell you this news: Ethan Embry is coming to Storybrooke.

The actor, who’s currently guest-starring on Grey’s Anatomy as Arizona’s prosthetist, has snagged a recurring role on Once Upon a Time, TVLine has learned exclusively.

RELATED | Hot Videos: Once Upon a Time‘s Emma Meets Hook, and a Monster Is Unleashed!

Details are scarce, but we know that Embry will play a visitor to the ABC drama’s not-so-sleepy Maine burg. As fans of the show know, Storybrooke doesn’t get many visitors from the outside world – and those who are new to town (like Emma and August AKA Pinocchio) have some connection to the magical goings-on.

So what’s Embry’s character’s deal? Perhaps the lifting of Regina’s curse makes it easier for newbies to cross town lines (even as it makes leaving problematic)? Or – dare we hope – might Embry’s character be Rumplestiltskin’s grown-up son Baelfire, heretofore seen only in flashback as a child?

RELATED | First Look: Once Upon a Time Reveals Emma’s Past — and Henry’s Father?

Embry’s career, marked by films like Can’t Hardly Wait and Empire Records, also includes roles on CSI: Miami, Drop Dead Diva, Fairly Legal and Brotherhood.

Hit the comments with your predictions for Embry’s Storybrooke stint!

Comments (77)

• I was so happy to see him on Greys this week and am even more excited to see him in this! I love him! Empire Records and Can’t hardly wait we’re my favorite movies as a teenager!

Comment by Mandy – October 27, 2012 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am LOVING all the Ethan Embry on ABC. Keep it coming!

Comment by Alice – October 28, 2012 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best. Intro. Ever.

Comment by Jared – October 27, 2012 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Ace – October 27, 2012 04:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, because promoting poor grammar (dumb title or not) has become cool.

Comment by Alex – October 29, 2012 08:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Been so in love with him since movies like Can’t Hardly Wait and That Thing You Do! I’m so excited to see him!

Comment by Amanda – October 27, 2012 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • All I see when I look at him is That Thing You Do! I’m amazed at how few people have actually seen that movie.

Comment by J (@MusicandHouse) – October 27, 2012 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Awesome flick. Wasn’t it Hanks first time out as feature films director?

Comment by Annie – October 27, 2012 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Fabulous movie–and I’m so glad to see I’m not the only person who immediately went, “That’s T.B. Player!” Awesomeness. Now if only Tom Hanks had mentioned that movie in his EPIC “Colbert Report” appearance the other day…

Comment by Anonymous – October 27, 2012 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! Please let Baelfire and Henry’s dad be two different persons… I’d hate them to be the same one, that would be lazy writing…

Comment by James – October 27, 2012 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah I’m hoping that Henry’s dad isn’t Baelfire.

Comment by Mary – October 27, 2012 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Hopefully Embry isn’t going to be Baelfire. His eyes are very light and young Bae’s were chocolate brown. It drives me mad when casting messes up genetics. On Downton Abbey Lady Mary and Lady Edith have dark brown eyes and both of their parents are very blue eyed. Inconceivable!

Comment by Templar – October 27, 2012 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It’s not inconceivable just very unlikely. It is possible they have recessive genes that would make them brown eyed. I have heard of people with blue eye blond hair having black hair green eyed children. I have not seen Downton Abbey so I do not know. Did the show the children as children with blue eyes? If so than it is inconceivable that their eyes changed color however their is a very slim chance that it could have changed.

Comment by Josh Lncs – October 27, 2012 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • If both parents have blue eyes, then their children will also have blue eyes. Blue eyes is a recessive gene. If both parents have blue eyes, then they are carrying only recessive genes and cannot have brown eyed children. Brown eyes are the result of a dominant gene, which is why a brown eyed parent and a blue eyed parent can have either a brown or blue eyed child, but will only have a blue eyed child if the brown eyed parent has one blue eye recessive gene and one brown eye dominant gene and the child receives the blue eye recessive gene.

Comment by Hmmmm – October 27, 2012 11:51 AM PDT
          • I always notice when they get eye color wrong in casting too, drives me bonkers.

Comment by Avon97 – October 27, 2012 04:39 PM PDT
          • Both of my parents have blue eyes and my siblings have brown. My dad has blue eyes but his sister has brown. I didn’t know it was “impossible”

Comment by stacy – October 27, 2012 08:28 PM PDT
          • Not always true, my daughter has brown eyes while we are both blue eyed

Comment by Derekate – October 27, 2012 10:59 PM PDT
          • To both Derekate and Stacy – Sorry to break it to you, but Mom’s been messing with the mailman.

Comment by JJ – October 28, 2012 01:32 PM PDT
          • @Stacy Are you sure? Even a trace of green, gray or hazel can produce brown but not two blues.

Comment by Tara – October 28, 2012 03:04 PM PDT
          • Two blue-eyed parents can have a brown-eyed child. Sheesh.

“Most of us learned the model for determining eye color that G.C. Davenport and C.B. Davenport devised in 1907. The Davenport model wrongly says brown eye color is always dominant over blue eye color, which means that two blue-eyed parents always have blue-eyed kids. We know better now.

“Although not common, two blue-eyed parents can produce children with brown eyes,” says Richard A. Sturm, a Principal Research Fellow at the Institute for Molecular Bioscience at the University of Queensland in Brisbane, Australia.

Eye color is a complex trait that depends on the state of several interacting genes. The gene that usually decides the issue (blue eyes or brown eyes) is the OCA2 gene on chromosome 15. But it comes in different strengths. A person with a weak form of the OCA2 gene will have blue eyes. Likewise a person with a strong form will have brown eyes.

The plot thickens, though, because an individual also has other eye-color genes that each has a say in the final eye-color outcome. For example, if one of these lesser genes is strong, it can make the weak form (blue) of OCA2 work much more effectively — almost like the strong form (brown). Then the eye color may be a light brown or muddy grey. In fact, the resulting color can be any shade of brown, hazel/green, or blue depending on the strengths of the interactions.”

Comment by Mel Umbarger (@sea0tter12) – October 29, 2012 12:04 PM PDT
        • @Hmmmm
          Cool!……. it sounds like you know what you’re talking about when it comes to eye color!

So what happens when a wooden puppet with “Blue eyes” is turned into a real boy with “Brown eyes” and grows up to become a biker with “Blue eyes” again…………..”?” lol

Comment by Doc – October 27, 2012 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • One more example of sloppy casting.

Comment by Templar – October 27, 2012 03:33 PM PDT
          • But, he’s not a real boy. He’s a son of a beech, or a son of a birch, [I forget]. Or maybe he’s just a piece of ash.

Comment by Suzie – October 27, 2012 03:54 PM PDT
          • @Suzie ROFL

Comment by Tara – October 28, 2012 03:03 PM PDT
          • it’s not sloppy casting. it’s a sloppy continuity person. you can easily correct eye color with contacts or in post. they can cast whoever they want.

Comment by Sammy the K (@hkmadman) – December 5, 2012 11:59 AM PDT
    • I agree with this so much. Baelfire as the dad is my least favorite scenario for Henry’s father.

Comment by Louise – October 27, 2012 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • really? i love that scenario, it ties the two story lines and the two families together in an amazing way

Comment by Shelly – October 27, 2012 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes, but it’s also ridiculously expected. A twist would be nice.

Comment by Summer – October 27, 2012 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree with Louise – I would love to see those families having to deal with being related. I think that it would only heighten the drama and the stakes.

Comment by SAM – October 27, 2012 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I do feel that would be lazy writing, but the idea of Henry calling Rumpelstilskin “Gramps” makes me want it.

Comment by Marz – October 27, 2012 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • love him since FREAKYLINKS!!!!

Comment by Javiera Herrera (@Javi4Real) – October 27, 2012 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought the guy in the first scene in 2×01 could be hernys dad but maybe this guy could be baelfire? Hmmm

Comment by Linds – October 27, 2012 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It is pretty much known he is, but the question remains is he also Bae.

Comment by Mike – October 27, 2012 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know. Maybe a grown up Peter Pan? Either way, a great addition.

Comment by Brian – October 27, 2012 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Peter Pan was my first guess, too! Gaaa, love Embry so much! Can’t wait for his appearance. I hope he becomes a regular. He’s a really underused actor IMO.

Comment by gdv – October 27, 2012 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • he’d be a perfect peter pan! love him!

Comment by jen – October 28, 2012 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does anyone knows if Ethan Embry will be in any more episodes of Grey’s, or is he only in that one episode? I was hoping for more than just the one since I love his scenes with Jessica Capshaw, but with this new recurring role, I’m guessing not.

Comment by Ashley – October 27, 2012 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The article said he’s “currently” guest starring on Grey’s so hopefully that mean he has a few more episodes. Both shows are on ABC and he’s just guest starring in both so hopefully they can make both work!

Comment by Heidi – October 27, 2012 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I hope he returns for at least one more episode on Grey’s because David and Arizona have really good chemistry together, and I think David really gets Arizona in a way that no one else (not even Callie) can because of his job and that’s what he deals with all the time.

Comment by Ashley – October 27, 2012 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damn the man, Save the Empire!!!

Comment by Darth Pablo – October 27, 2012 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Amanda – October 27, 2012 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s Rex Manning Day! =)

Comment by AnaB – October 27, 2012 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh Rexy your so sexy! Say no more mon amore lol.
        One of my favorite movies love this casting as well once is my #1 show

Comment by Girl in MD – October 27, 2012 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Is that Marc with a “C” or Mark with a “K”?

Comment by gdv – October 27, 2012 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes! One of many epic roles. Ethan Embry was my childhood/teenage crush ever since he was Ethan Randall! Most exciting casting news in a long time. I don’t watch grey’s so when I heard he’d been cast on it I was almost bummed he was in a role I wouldn’t be watching. Thrilled that he is going to be on one of my favorite shows!!

Comment by murley – October 29, 2012 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i was hoping he was goin to stay on Greys for awhile!!!

Comment by sarah – October 27, 2012 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gah, I remember seeing the casting notice that made it sound like Bae but now I can’t remember where I saw i

Comment by sara – October 27, 2012 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES! I was so happy pleasantly surprised to see him on Grye’s last thursday, so even more excited that he’ll be on OUAT now too!

Comment by Dominique – October 27, 2012 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved him on Grey’s this week, his scenes with Arizona/Jessica Capshaw were excellent. His most memorable role for me was his part in Sweet Home Alabama! Can’t wait to see him in Storybrooke!

Comment by Lindsey – October 27, 2012 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love him! Exciting news!

Comment by Julie – October 27, 2012 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looks like ABC wants to be in the Ethan Embry business. Which is awesome because he was one of my favorite actors when i was a teen. Hopefully he gets a series regular gig on ABC next year

Comment by gary – October 27, 2012 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was thinking that it was too soon to show Bae going by tv show standards. I think the stranger has to be Henry’s dad but they probably won’t say what his connection to FTL is yet. On one hand it would be nice to have Henry’s dad and Bae be the same person because that would make things difficult for Rumple but one the other hand it just is not to original.

Comment by A.B. – October 27, 2012 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Also my guess on who he is…Peter Pan he fits the role well imo

Comment by gary – October 27, 2012 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY!!!! I love Ethan Embry so much! I was thrilled to see him on Grey’s. But now he’s going to be on OUAT!?!?! There are no words. YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY!!

Comment by tmb510 – October 27, 2012 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Baelfire should be played by the same actor last season. he should be Peter Pan. It is only thing that makes sense to me as far as how Hook intends to get revenge on Rumple,…by capturing his son. i will not believe Baelfire is in the real world until they physically prove it.

Comment by Arlene – October 27, 2012 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Love this theory!

Comment by Me – October 27, 2012 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I so agree with you! I have been convinced that Baelfire is in Neverland and I will disappointed if he isn’t! But, you took a step further…I was thinking he would be a lost boy, but Peter Pan??! That’s awesome!

Comment by Lizabeth – October 27, 2012 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bea was sent to a land without magic, wasn’t he?
      Neverland HAS magic.

Comment by Christina Boulard (@ChristinaBWho) – October 27, 2012 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think Baelfire will show up as an adult BUT I agree. I want to see the actor who played him last season play him in the present and Baelfire as Peter Pan would add a new layer to the hook vs pan story.

Comment by Patti – October 28, 2012 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really looking forward to this! I love Ethan! He’s awesome… and I’m really hoping he’s gonna be either Bae or something out of Peter Pan – if not Pan himself, maybe one of the Lost Boys!

Comment by AnaB – October 27, 2012 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I also hope that Baefire is not Henry’s dad, because from what Emma said, Henry’s dad is not a good guy and I would hate to think that good-hearted Bae turned bad after coming to our world.

Comment by zaza – October 27, 2012 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe Henry’s dad is Hook? That would be AWESOME!

Comment by Nikki – October 28, 2012 07:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No, Emma would have recognized Hook when she met him last week if he was Henry’s dad….

Comment by susela – October 28, 2012 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “So, he’s sort of tall? With… hair? And he wears t-shirts sometimes?”

Comment by lissab99 – October 27, 2012 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVE HIM!

Comment by Amanda – October 27, 2012 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it would be nice if Henry’s father were somehow a blood relative of Regina so that she is really in the crosshairs – gets hell if she practices magic and gets hell if she doesn’t

Comment by Missy Kelly – October 27, 2012 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Dreadful idea. Multi generational crazy there.

Comment by Suzie – October 27, 2012 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ditto to some of the other comments, he will always be T.B. Player from That Thing You Do! Fun to see him on numerous shows right now.

Comment by Lindsey Lyons (@lindseylyons) – October 27, 2012 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Embry, and I’m thrilled that he’ll be on OUAT!

Comment by Temperence – October 28, 2012 12:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish he was in something that I watch, not two different soap operas. He was so good in Brotherhood.

Comment by Heathers – October 28, 2012 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ethan Embry is a great actor. A favorite of mine but man oh man the second season has barely started and we don’t get enough time with the season one recurrings, guest stars, and regulars as is.

Comment by Patti – October 28, 2012 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He looked great on Grey’s. I want him on as much TV as possible.

Comment by KS – October 28, 2012 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m still hoping that they are making Whale the Wizard of Oz rather than Frankenstein.

Comment by Templar – October 28, 2012 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t really want to speculate, I just hope he is Baelfire so we can get that show on the road with Rumple.

Comment by MyReligionIsWhovian – October 29, 2012 02:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope he gets a permanent role! I think he is awesome, loved him on Fairly Legal and wished he had been there longer!

Comment by Kim – October 29, 2012 04:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is awesome! I still love him from his role in Sweet Home Alabama!

Comment by Nicole – October 29, 2012 05:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am I the only one who thinks he looks like Dr. Whale? It was my first thought when I saw the pic. Maybe he will be his brother in flashbacks. It’s probably not a big role but it’s very possible considering they look alike. I know the brother is a stitched up monster but it could still be him and there could be flashbacks of him alive as well. I think that is the best guess. He looks nothing like Bae.

Comment by soflirty84 – October 29, 2012 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post