Exclusive

Once Upon a Time Exclusive: Ethan Embry Books Mysterious Storybrooke Visit

We can’t hardly wait to tell you this news: Ethan Embry is coming to Storybrooke.

The actor, who’s currently guest-starring on Grey’s Anatomy as Arizona’s prosthetist, has snagged a recurring role on Once Upon a Time, TVLine has learned exclusively.

RELATED | Hot Videos: Once Upon a Time‘s Emma Meets Hook, and a Monster Is Unleashed!

Details are scarce, but we know that Embry will play a visitor to the ABC drama’s not-so-sleepy Maine burg. As fans of the show know, Storybrooke doesn’t get many visitors from the outside world – and those who are new to town (like Emma and August AKA Pinocchio) have some connection to the magical goings-on.

So what’s Embry’s character’s deal? Perhaps the lifting of Regina’s curse makes it easier for newbies to cross town lines (even as it makes leaving problematic)? Or – dare we hope – might Embry’s character be Rumplestiltskin’s grown-up son Baelfire, heretofore seen only in flashback as a child?

RELATED | First Look: Once Upon a Time Reveals Emma’s Past — and Henry’s Father?

Embry’s career, marked by films like Can’t Hardly Wait and Empire Records, also includes roles on CSI: Miami, Drop Dead Diva, Fairly Legal and Brotherhood.

Hit the comments with your predictions for Embry’s Storybrooke stint!

1. Mandy says:

I was so happy to see him on Greys this week and am even more excited to see him in this! I love him! Empire Records and Can’t hardly wait we’re my favorite movies as a teenager!

2. Jared says:

Best. Intro. Ever.

3. Amanda says:

Been so in love with him since movies like Can’t Hardly Wait and That Thing You Do! I’m so excited to see him!

4. James says:

Yes! Please let Baelfire and Henry’s dad be two different persons… I’d hate them to be the same one, that would be lazy writing…

• Mary says:

Yeah I’m hoping that Henry’s dad isn’t Baelfire.

• Templar says:

Hopefully Embry isn’t going to be Baelfire. His eyes are very light and young Bae’s were chocolate brown. It drives me mad when casting messes up genetics. On Downton Abbey Lady Mary and Lady Edith have dark brown eyes and both of their parents are very blue eyed. Inconceivable!

• Josh Lncs says:

It’s not inconceivable just very unlikely. It is possible they have recessive genes that would make them brown eyed. I have heard of people with blue eye blond hair having black hair green eyed children. I have not seen Downton Abbey so I do not know. Did the show the children as children with blue eyes? If so than it is inconceivable that their eyes changed color however their is a very slim chance that it could have changed.

• Hmmmm says:

If both parents have blue eyes, then their children will also have blue eyes. Blue eyes is a recessive gene. If both parents have blue eyes, then they are carrying only recessive genes and cannot have brown eyed children. Brown eyes are the result of a dominant gene, which is why a brown eyed parent and a blue eyed parent can have either a brown or blue eyed child, but will only have a blue eyed child if the brown eyed parent has one blue eye recessive gene and one brown eye dominant gene and the child receives the blue eye recessive gene.

• Avon97 says:

I always notice when they get eye color wrong in casting too, drives me bonkers.

• stacy says:

Both of my parents have blue eyes and my siblings have brown. My dad has blue eyes but his sister has brown. I didn’t know it was “impossible”

• Derekate says:

Not always true, my daughter has brown eyes while we are both blue eyed

• JJ says:

To both Derekate and Stacy – Sorry to break it to you, but Mom’s been messing with the mailman.

• Tara says:

@Stacy Are you sure? Even a trace of green, gray or hazel can produce brown but not two blues.

• Two blue-eyed parents can have a brown-eyed child. Sheesh.

“Most of us learned the model for determining eye color that G.C. Davenport and C.B. Davenport devised in 1907. The Davenport model wrongly says brown eye color is always dominant over blue eye color, which means that two blue-eyed parents always have blue-eyed kids. We know better now.

“Although not common, two blue-eyed parents can produce children with brown eyes,” says Richard A. Sturm, a Principal Research Fellow at the Institute for Molecular Bioscience at the University of Queensland in Brisbane, Australia.

Eye color is a complex trait that depends on the state of several interacting genes. The gene that usually decides the issue (blue eyes or brown eyes) is the OCA2 gene on chromosome 15. But it comes in different strengths. A person with a weak form of the OCA2 gene will have blue eyes. Likewise a person with a strong form will have brown eyes.

The plot thickens, though, because an individual also has other eye-color genes that each has a say in the final eye-color outcome. For example, if one of these lesser genes is strong, it can make the weak form (blue) of OCA2 work much more effectively — almost like the strong form (brown). Then the eye color may be a light brown or muddy grey. In fact, the resulting color can be any shade of brown, hazel/green, or blue depending on the strengths of the interactions.”

• Doc says:

@Hmmmm
          Cool!……. it sounds like you know what you’re talking about when it comes to eye color!

So what happens when a wooden puppet with “Blue eyes” is turned into a real boy with “Brown eyes” and grows up to become a biker with “Blue eyes” again…………..”?” lol

• Louise says:

I agree with this so much. Baelfire as the dad is my least favorite scenario for Henry’s father.

• Shelly says:

really? i love that scenario, it ties the two story lines and the two families together in an amazing way

• Marz says:

I do feel that would be lazy writing, but the idea of Henry calling Rumpelstilskin “Gramps” makes me want it.

5. Linds says:

I thought the guy in the first scene in 2×01 could be hernys dad but maybe this guy could be baelfire? Hmmm

6. Brian says:

I don’t know. Maybe a grown up Peter Pan? Either way, a great addition.

7. Ashley says:

Does anyone knows if Ethan Embry will be in any more episodes of Grey’s, or is he only in that one episode? I was hoping for more than just the one since I love his scenes with Jessica Capshaw, but with this new recurring role, I’m guessing not.

• Heidi says:

The article said he’s “currently” guest starring on Grey’s so hopefully that mean he has a few more episodes. Both shows are on ABC and he’s just guest starring in both so hopefully they can make both work!

• Ashley says:

I hope he returns for at least one more episode on Grey’s because David and Arizona have really good chemistry together, and I think David really gets Arizona in a way that no one else (not even Callie) can because of his job and that’s what he deals with all the time.

8. Darth Pablo says:

Damn the man, Save the Empire!!!

9. sarah says:

i was hoping he was goin to stay on Greys for awhile!!!

10. sara says:

Gah, I remember seeing the casting notice that made it sound like Bae but now I can’t remember where I saw i

11. Dominique says:

YES! I was so happy pleasantly surprised to see him on Grye’s last thursday, so even more excited that he’ll be on OUAT now too!

12. Lindsey says:

Loved him on Grey’s this week, his scenes with Arizona/Jessica Capshaw were excellent. His most memorable role for me was his part in Sweet Home Alabama! Can’t wait to see him in Storybrooke!

13. Julie says:

Love him! Exciting news!

14. gary says:

Looks like ABC wants to be in the Ethan Embry business. Which is awesome because he was one of my favorite actors when i was a teen. Hopefully he gets a series regular gig on ABC next year

15. A.B. says:

I was thinking that it was too soon to show Bae going by tv show standards. I think the stranger has to be Henry’s dad but they probably won’t say what his connection to FTL is yet. On one hand it would be nice to have Henry’s dad and Bae be the same person because that would make things difficult for Rumple but one the other hand it just is not to original.

16. gary says:

Also my guess on who he is…Peter Pan he fits the role well imo

17. tmb510 says:

YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY!!!! I love Ethan Embry so much! I was thrilled to see him on Grey’s. But now he’s going to be on OUAT!?!?! There are no words. YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY!!

18. Arlene says:

Baelfire should be played by the same actor last season. he should be Peter Pan. It is only thing that makes sense to me as far as how Hook intends to get revenge on Rumple,…by capturing his son. i will not believe Baelfire is in the real world until they physically prove it.

19. AnaB says:

I’m really looking forward to this! I love Ethan! He’s awesome… and I’m really hoping he’s gonna be either Bae or something out of Peter Pan – if not Pan himself, maybe one of the Lost Boys!

20. zaza says:

I also hope that Baefire is not Henry’s dad, because from what Emma said, Henry’s dad is not a good guy and I would hate to think that good-hearted Bae turned bad after coming to our world.

21. lissab99 says:

“So, he’s sort of tall? With… hair? And he wears t-shirts sometimes?”

22. Amanda says:

LOVE HIM!

23. Missy Kelly says:

I think it would be nice if Henry’s father were somehow a blood relative of Regina so that she is really in the crosshairs – gets hell if she practices magic and gets hell if she doesn’t

24. Lindsey Lyons (@lindseylyons) says:

Ditto to some of the other comments, he will always be T.B. Player from That Thing You Do! Fun to see him on numerous shows right now.

25. Temperence says:

I love Embry, and I’m thrilled that he’ll be on OUAT!

26. Heathers says:

I wish he was in something that I watch, not two different soap operas. He was so good in Brotherhood.

27. Patti says:

Ethan Embry is a great actor. A favorite of mine but man oh man the second season has barely started and we don’t get enough time with the season one recurrings, guest stars, and regulars as is.

28. KS says:

He looked great on Grey’s. I want him on as much TV as possible.

29. MyReligionIsWhovian says:

I don’t really want to speculate, I just hope he is Baelfire so we can get that show on the road with Rumple.

30. Kim says:

I hope he gets a permanent role! I think he is awesome, loved him on Fairly Legal and wished he had been there longer!

31. Nicole says:

This is awesome! I still love him from his role in Sweet Home Alabama!

32. soflirty84 says:

Am I the only one who thinks he looks like Dr. Whale? It was my first thought when I saw the pic. Maybe he will be his brother in flashbacks. It’s probably not a big role but it’s very possible considering they look alike. I know the brother is a stitched up monster but it could still be him and there could be flashbacks of him alive as well. I think that is the best guess. He looks nothing like Bae.