Did Mockingbird Lane Scare Up Your Interest?

Now that you’ve trick-or-treated on Mockingbird Lane, would you consider a longer visit?

NBC’s long-time-in-the-works Munsters reboot aired Friday night as a standalone Halloween special instead of as the series pilot it was intended to be. And we want to know what you thought: Was it scary good or frightfully bad?

First, a brief recap: Pushing DaisiesBryan Fuller was behind the hour-long drama, which introduced us to a modernized Munster family: Herman (The DefendersJerry O’Connell) and his wife Lily (Arrested Development‘s Portia de Rossi), their son Eddie (Spy Kids: All The Time in the World 4D‘s Mason Cook), cousin Marilyn (British actress Charity Wakefield) and Grandpa (The Riches‘ Eddie Izzard).

Mockingbird sure looked spiffy – we particularly liked Grandpa forming himself out of a swarm of rats and Lily’s smoky way of getting around – but we’re not sure that the ’60s-era comedy translates well to a 2012 drama. After all, part of the campy fun of the original was its schlock factor.

Enough about what we thought. NBC, Fuller and director Bryan Singer (X-Men) reportedly had different expectations for the project – but depending on how viewers respond, there’s a chance the network will move forward with the series. So grade Mockingbird Lane via the poll below, then hit the comments: Would you tune in to the new Munster family every week?

1. tvaddict says:

Awesome! I want to see more!!!

• Andrew says:

me 2, such an awesome promise

• John Porter says:

My wife and I enjoyed the show immensely, we even called our children up and told them about it. It needs a little work but we think it should make a very good series. The only criticism I had was that Herman Munster was too fake looking to live with everyday people and didn’t fit in with how the other characters looked.

• William Hodge says:

I thought it was awesome and I’d definitely check it out if it became a series.

• joe logan says:

I feel the same it was awsome nbc would be stupid not to pick it up i refuse to watch. These so called reality tv shows they discust me but those are picked up constantly if i could permanantly block anything like that from. Being aired throught my tv i would in a second as well as almost everyone one i know and have ever talked to about the subject

2. Ann says:

I loved it! I hope NBC makes this a series!

3. I loved it, wow I didnt think it would be that great but this must become a series, If NBC does not pick it up they will miss out on a big success. Portia was wonderful and flawless as Lily, I never cared too much about her but she act the heck out of lily, emmy for her please.

4. Joanne says:

I wish I wish this will become a series!!!!

5. heather_kaye says:

I thought it was delightful! Not earth shattering by any means, but completely charming. Solid B+! I’d season pass it!

6. Annie says:

I can see why this show was canceled before it had a chance to become a full blown series. I did watch the whole thing, so it wasn’t awful, but the script had a lot of problems. I like it the fact that it looked like Marilyn was going to be stronger than the original Marilyn, and Grandpa was very kooky, but I don’t see how these characters could every be lovable. Once you have someone dying, while being chased by Grandpa, it’s pretty impossible to redeem the character, or understand why the rest of the family wouldn’t take steps to make sure that it never happened again. It’s really hard to accept that Herman would be okay with having that person’s heart.

• Ron says:

Um, it wasn’t canceled. It just hasn’t yet been picked up. Big difference.

• Ann says:

I bet if this show were picked up, you’d want to watch more. This episode was filmed as a pilot, so of course their are flaws. If this were a one-time tv movie, then I’d have a different reaction. Most pilots have flaws that get fixed throughout the season. My hope is that NBC gives this show a full season order and give it a chance to grow.

• LizLiz says:

Agree I also think your looking at it from the original stand point. Granted the original is good for 50-60 ‘s decade. But that wouldn’t fly this century. It’s really been revamped & probably been a good concept on its own. Loved the pilot & yes flaws like any other pilot but good non the less. And visually stunning

• Kathy says:

It’s just a TV show, it’s not real. That’s what is wrong with TV shows now. People can’t get in their head it’s fake. Just because you see it on TV doesn’t mean it’s real. I was a little girl when the original Munsters was on. I like this one much better, I hope they get it back on as soon as possible.

• PPPG says:

What I learned at 6 when my 20 year old brother brought me to Jaw in the theaters was what my mother raised me to believe, “there is a difference between reality and fiction”. Go ahead and root the dumb person into the basement where they heard screams and blood just spewed out the door. If something like that happened in reality, stop them and call the cops.

I liked Mockingbird and hope *someone* picks it up

• Edward says:

“Once you have someone dying, while being chased by Grandpa, it’s pretty impossible to redeem the character…” Ever heard of Dexter?

• Fido says:

Dexter kills baddies, methinks no-one could possibly describe the scout master as a baddie.
        As for the show, am reminded of the Johnny Depp character in Dark Shadows (yes I know it is “just a movie” but) I found it hard to warm to a character who ~5s after being uncoffined has slaughtered a big bunch of builders.

• Lu says:

yeah but I bet you (if you are not vegetarian) don’t think about those cute innocent cows you eat who have been slaughtered for your hamburger. I think the episode was trying explain the circle of life to viewers in this TV reality– humans (even sweet innocent ones) are food.

7. Eddie Izzard was fantastic. I wouldn’t mind if this show became a series, it beats reality shows.

8. A.D. says:

This was awesome…better than most things on tv…NBC wake up and make this into a series…ASAP!

9. ATXtall says:

Let me preface this by saying I LOVE Bryan Fuller, I re-watch Wonderfalls and Pushing Daises every year. Pushing Daises is one of my top 3 favorite shows of all time.

That said, Mockingbird Lane just didn’t do it for me. I thought the idea and script were good, but the direction of this pilot was not up to the amazing standards that Pushing Daisies has set. I don’t think that Bryan Singer was the best director for this project, and really wish they had gone with Barry Sonnenfeld again like they did with Pushing Daisies. Singer just doesn’t get the small screen.

Maybe I had too high expectations and am comparing this to PD too much, but I also think a narration by Jim Dale would have added to the experience.

I do think this is better than anything else on NBC, but just was let down by the execution.

• Ann says:

I’ve always thought that Brian Singer was a terrible director. It shows here. I agree with you, I wish they had a different director for this.

• Josh says:

I just don’t think you can compare this show to Pushing Daisies. It’s not PD, it never set out to be PD and anyone who is disappointed in that has only themselves to blame.
      The fact you mention no narration by Jim Dale pretty much sums up that you thought this would be Pushing Daisies 2.0.
      I thought it was visually stunning, paid homage enough to the original, and it’s clear there are stories to be told with these characters.

• Dana says:

It’s not unreasonable to compare the quality of two shows by the same creator. The commenter here only said they thought it wasn’t as good as PD; there’s nothing about wanting it to be a sequel or even in the same tone or anything. Try not to be so offended by people having different opinions from you.

That being said, I agree with you, I thought the show was a riot!

10. Rachel says:

I thought it was fantastic! Granted I missed the last five minutes (literally) because my picture went blank, but I still thought it was great! Hope NBC picks it up and cancels crap like Whitney

11. Scottyb says:

I just watched Mockingbird Lane, it wasn’t that bad and had potential. Too bad NBC did not pick it up as a regular series.

12. Jennifer says:

NBC wouldn’t have kept show on anyway because it’s good and viewers like it. That’s what NBC does, take all the great stuff off and replace it with crap nobody cares about.

• Sean says:

I think you are mistaking NBC for FOX. Fox is the leader of cancelling great shows for that American Idol crap.

• TV Gord says:

Yes, the way the cancelled Fringe in its first season. :-/

• Temperence says:

FOX was quite bad for doing that for a while – and they started to inprove after the whole Dollhouse debacle. CBS is the worst for it – they try a whole selection of shows, most quite different than the dead boring procedurals that mmake up most of their programming and then can nearly every single one. Every year. I literally quit watching any new show on CBS until it gets renewed.

• TV Gord says:

In my opinion, Dollhouse was not a very good show, but despite terrible ratings, it still got a second season. The reality is that if a show doesn’t earn enough viewers, it usually doesn’t survive for long. That’s not the fault of the network. It’s the fault of the audience that would rather watch reality garbage and other garbage.

13. rikes says:

It wasnt all that great. Only ok.

14. Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

I really liked it. Which is surprising because Pushing Daisies was godawful crap. I would definitely give it another shot if it went to series.

15. iMember says:

I thought it was awesome, and I was thoroughly impressed with the special effects this show had. I hope the ratings are really good tomorrow, because I’d LOVE it if NBC picked this up for a full season. Seriously, a Mockingbird Lane/Grimm Friday night lineup is something I can get behind.

16. Christina says:

I loved it. Would love to see it picked up, but it would only work as a limited series with like 10 episodes a season. This can’t be a cheap show to produce.

17. WayneInNYC says:

It was twisted good fun, but it’s not The Munsters and that’s gonna anger the Purists. If the show ever came to series, I’d watch it in a heartbeat (no pun intended)

• Samantha says:

As someone who grew up watching The Munsters I agree, it wasn’t the same at all save for the names. BUT I did enjoy this. I think it has staying power but I don’t think it was marketed well.

18. Bob says:

I really hope it goes to series.

19. Maria says:

Surprisingly, I really liked it! I excepted to hate it, but it was actually good. I’d love to see more episodes.

20. AB says:

I enjoyed it. I would watch new episodes to see what becomes of the whole thing.

21. the girl says:

I really enjoyed this. I would love to watch this as a series. NBC has done good this season with their new shows.

22. Robert says:

I loved pilot!!! Bryan Fuller has set up a mythology for the family that has me begging for more. I want to know how the family can have children;how many children did Grandpa have and where is Marilyn’s mother? NBC better be smart and give this the greenligh;asap.

23. Amanda says:

First off, happy to see these comment aren’t overrun with Community fans bashing the show simply because it was on air like Twitter.

Second, i truly loved this show!!! I’ve been impatiently waiting for it since casting began to be announced. I really need this to be a series or a mini-series! It perfectly quirky and darling.

• TV Gord says:

LOL! I’m a HUGE Community fan, and I didn’t connect the two. There are some reasonable fans among us. (Hey, I’m as surprised as you are!) ;-)

• Amanda says:

Most of Twitter was complaining that the Halloween episode wasn’t on. It was just really sour. I love Community as well but I wasn’t going to sit there and trend things to spite ML’s airing. Community fans out of everyone should know how important ratings are…I wish they would have more support for this special.

• TV Gord says:

I agree. It sucks that Community was pulled from this slot, but it’s not the fault of this show, and it’s shortsighted and narrow-minded to see it that way.

• robinepowell says:

Yeah I got Hell’s Kitchen instead and I am NOT a Gordon Ramsey fan.

• Rachel says:

umm what does this have to do with Community and Twitter?

24. leigh says:

I got through the first few minutes and couldn’t watch anymore. Wish kids didn’t get attacked in the first few minutes. It was very weird and turned me off.

25. Michelle says:

I loved it! While I wish that NBC would pick it up, I’m not gonna get my hopes up.

26. leahbh says:

I think the real reason nbc didn’t like it was just the cost. it’s easy to see why the pilot cost so much. and if they continue with so many special effects, it’s just too much $$$$ for a network in last place. (the cw doesn’t count)

27. Robert Mitchell says:

I like it i thought that it can be good as a series

28. Julie says:

I loved this show ,so did my family. I would watch this show every week if it was on. In fact i was trying to find when the next episode would air when i found out there wouldn’t be one. :(

29. Mo says:

I didn’t expect to like it, so I was surprised. I agree I think it would work better as a limited series with fewer episodes, but I liked the overall look and feel. It could use some tweaking & I thought sometimes it veered a little too far between the darker bits & the family comedy. Hubby watched & said he wished they would pick it up to series, and he NEVER cares about that stuff.

30. Julie says:

I loved it. I wish that NBC would pick it up. My family loved it

31. Whimsical says:

I liked it, but I’d trade every episode of it AND of Hannibal to have Pushing Daisies back.

32. PPPG says:

I lik it. It had me chuckling a fe times

33. Rosalina says:

I watched it,having total different opinions before I started,but once it progressed,I found myself getting quite attatched with it,…I would absolutly love to see this turn into a series. Definatly something I would get into,just like Grimm…and having them two back to back is really nice too.Perfect combo.

34. Rusty says:

Worst new show this season!! Badly written, poorly acted. Special effects not bad. A lot of the scenes were gross and not funny. Yeah I really thought the opening shot of Eddie killing half of his scout troop, oh boy lots of laughs there. Nothing funny and not a show I would let my kids watch.

35. julie says:

I liked it as well!! I loved Marilyn personally, just how she acted as if everything was so normal! Its something different from all the cop medical dramas out there, TV needs more different shows like Grimm and ouat for a change!

36. Mandy says:

I almost didn’t watch because I was bummed it wasn’t gonna make it as a series but ended up watching it and I loved it! I think the kid play Eddie is great. Hopefully NBC has a change of heart I would love to see more!

37. Gumpopper says:

A dark humor fest! Why was this show shelved?

38. Eric says:

This must be picked up. Besides, after spending so much on the pilot, they can’t just destroy the set! Put it to good use!

39. Tweeny says:

The pilot was really good, and it had the potential to make a really fun series. I know the chances of NBC doing the right thing and giving the show a series order are zero to none, but it’s a shame that we’ll probably never see more of these characters.

On a different note, Edfie Izzard completes my life.

40. Lorry says:

MORE! MORE! MORE!

41. Julio says:

Adored every minute. It isn’t for kids (and whoever said it was?). It was dark and funny and just plain great. I want more. And as for “Munsters” purists … aren’t they past retirement age at this point?

42. lisa says:

Loved it really would love more would watch it every week!! NBC finally has a potential hit after so much crap and they need to recognize it and make it an ongoing series.

43. Sabrina says:

Omg love this show would love to see it become a series please and to all that hated it bit me it takes me back to my childhood watching the shows with my grandpa. So agin make it a series

44. E says:

I thought it was fantastic! Clever double-entendre dialogue, very well cast (unusual for an American show), very well acted and directed and written.

I particularly loved Jerry O’Connell as Herman Munster, Charity Wakefield as Marilyn, Mason Cook as Eddie Munster (he is so bright! He clearly understood everything and said it perfectly! I love when tv casts bright kids instead of cutesy-poo ones), and Eddie Izzard as grandpa. I usually don’t care for Portia de Rossi, but I thought she was great in this, too! Unfortunately, I missed the cameo I noted from imdb by Butch Patrick, so I will have to go back and check my recording for him.

I did not think there was a bad note in the entire cast! The writing was a treat! This show was a treat!

Please, please, bring this back!

• tony says:

no need to check recording for butch patrick – he was not in the pilot. he says many things that aren’t true.

as far as the show — one and done….

45. Jared says:

I loved everything about Mockingbird Lane. The special effects..the story..Jerry O’Connell and his stitched up neck. I’m not exactly sure where it would go as a series but I would have definitely checked out more episodes to find out.

46. Brett Heitkam says:

Yes the pilot cost ten million but how much of that went to sets and stuff that would stay the same from week to week? Revolution costs 3 million per episode …I could see ML costing about the same after start up costs. This would be a much more suitable companion to Grimm than comedies. Between Grimm viewers and Munsters fans I could definitely see this getting profitable ratings if given a chance. On a side note, it seems like the Addams Family would have been a much easier property to turn into an hour long drama like this. I wonder if that idea was ever considered.

47. Eve says:

Absolutely loved it! Tons of fun. Really hoping for a full season pick up for this one.

48. DC says:

I believe the potential cost of this series was the reason why NBC decided not to pick it up because the pilot was brilliant.

49. Josh says:

Loved every minute of this! NBC needs to pick this up and give Bryan Fuller the chance to play more with the Munster family and other Universal’s Monsters.