Post Mortem: Fringe Star 'Didn't Want to Die,' But Praises the Final Season's 'Brave' Twist

Get More: Interviews, Spoilers

Fringe's Georgina Haig Talks Etta's DeathWarning: The following contains major spoilers from this Friday’s Fringe. If you have yet to watch it, avert your eyes now. The rest of ya, read on….

‘Tis better to have been loved and lost your life, than never to have been loved at all.

That twist on Tennyson pretty much sums up how Fringe‘s Georgina Haig feels about Peter and Olivia’s daughter Etta sacrificing her life at the close of the final season’s fourth episode.

“Before she dies, there’s a moment of peace, almost like a relaxation, as she’s thinking about how she has finally been loved – and she doesn’t care that Windmark can see that, so she lets her guard down,” Haig tells TVLine of Etta’s selfless act, dying along with many Observers as she sets off an anti-matter bomb.

“To be loved is the most basic of human needs, after food and shelter,” the Aussie actress continues. “And while she has had support through her life, and she’s had Simon [as a partner], it’s just not the same. She never felt really loved until she reunited with [her parents]. And that’s what makes her death peaceful in a way. She stops fighting [Windmark's thought-reading ] and let’s that contentment wash over her.”

RELATED | Grammy Winner to Guest on Fringe as Oracle-Like Figure

Haig first guested on Fringe, of course, in Season 4′s Episode 19, “Letters of Transit,” which served as a prequel to the Fox series’ futuristic farewell run. “They said there was the possibility of me recurring if Season 5 happens… so when it [got picked up], everyone was really excited,” she recalls. “I knew that I was coming back but I had no idea in what capacity or what would happen to me.”

Because she had joined the series as a member of the Bishop family, “The cast embraced me completely,” Haig effuses. “John [Noble] took me out for lunch and said, ‘Ask me anything.’ Anna [Torv] went out of her way to make sure I met the crew before we started filming. And Josh [Jackson] made sure that I got out and saw Vancouver.” Likewise, “The fans embraced my character because I was part of that family.”

Haig’s first conversation with show runner Joel Wyman coming into Season 5, however, made clear Etta’s tragic destiny. “I was like, ‘Oh my gosh, this is so sad!’ And yet it’s so brave of them to put these characters through that trauma in Episode 4, just a third of the way into the story. It’s almost like an inciting incident.”

Make no mistake, though — Haig didn’t let Etta go quietly into the night. “I was like, ‘Joel, how about instead of her dying, she just falls unconscious and is locked into a cupboard, and they find her later…?’” she shares with a laugh. “I didn’t want to die, because it was so awesome being on the show.”

RELATED | Fringe Boss: Series’ Swan Song ‘Is About Family, Emotion’… and Things That May Blow Your Mind

Before meeting her maker, Etta was able to facilitate an awaited and emotional reunion between her mother and Broyles, who obviously missed the team’s old-school Fringe days. The significance of the scene was not lost on the newcomer. “I had watched all of the previous seasons and I definitely knew what all those characters meant to each other, so it was sort of surreal in a way, standing there watching it happen,” she says.

And as for Etta’s grand farewell, the “needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few” nature of it soothes some of the sting for Haig.

“If you’re going to go, you want a hero’s death,” she notes. Plus, “They explored so much in four episodes with my character, I felt really lucky!”

Comments (118)

• Thought it was a good twist. I think in the end “the plan” will result in everything being reset and she will end up alive.

Comment by Chuck Finley (AJ) – October 26, 2012 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Im definitely curious if they will go that direction, it would make more sense over just getting rid of the Observers and being left with a dying planet with the human population decimated. However i cant help but wonder if i will be fully satisfied by a ending like that. Dont get me wrong i want a Married happy Peter+Olivia able to raise Etta (no invasion) but…idk i always feel weird when they go back and erase a story that was so epic to start at the beginning again.
      If it does go in that direction, i hope they dont just show them finishing playing at the park then walking home then fade to black..call me a romantic who wants to be SHOWN (not left to imagination) a older Peter+Olivia and Etta (played by Georgina Haig) still a happy family 10 years later or something.

Comment by M3rc Nate – October 26, 2012 10:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, they were clearly talking about reversible reactions as part of the ‘plan’, so I’m guessing it’s a rewind plan.

Comment by Temperence – October 27, 2012 12:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really hope so, she’s such a great character.

Comment by guest – October 27, 2012 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wish this horrible trash that only shares the name of Fringe was canceled. What the hell happened to this once wonderful show?

Comment by Midori004 – October 26, 2012 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well guess what? It is cancelled. This is their last season, so you won’t endure watching what you call a ‘once wonderful show’. If you hate it so much why bother watching it and posting comment about it

Comment by Romy – October 26, 2012 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You don’t have to watch-change the channel and stop complaining

Comment by Keith – October 26, 2012 09:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s pretty brilliant in my book.

Comment by Temperence – October 27, 2012 12:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Horrible trash” may be a bit harsh, but I get your point. I had to stop watching last season as I felt they jumped the shark. The first two seasons were excellent, and John Noble is a rare gift.

Comment by Alienate – October 27, 2012 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • you can always turn it off. That’s a radical idea, isn’t it? stop watching.

Comment by guest – October 27, 2012 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Must be sad for you not to be able to understand story telling.

Comment by The Kaibosh – October 27, 2012 09:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • keep your negativity to yourself get a life

Comment by margaret henry – December 17, 2012 08:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • whoa no kidding I’m watching season 5 and I can’t believe how much it sucks

Comment by fattyz – January 15, 2013 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You are absolutely right. The first two seasons were great; with a little X-files, CSI and SCI-FI mixed in. It was all in the right balance where the cases kept you interested, but unlike a regular crime procedural, it gave you the right amount of bizarre, unknown and like the name states: Fringe Science. I believe it got too caught up on the SCI-FI and Dystopian ideas, and that genre has been there done that and is really over used. I think J.J. Abrams probably had little time to invest in this and intrusted a lot of the work to his writers toward the end, as its identity got confused and at the end rested solely on their premise and not the true identity of the show.

Comment by Ben Z – January 26, 2013 10:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Personally, I don’t mind spoilers, but I’m thinking it probably isn’t all that helpful to say “Don’t read what follows …” under a big spoilery headline when the character in question is pictured to the immediate right of the warning (and directly under the spoilery headline). Unless I’m wrong and that photo is a big fake-out, since I don’t watch “Fringe.”

Comment by John – October 26, 2012 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That photo is a couple episodes old. It’s not a spoiler.

Comment by Meg – October 26, 2012 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Totally wasn’t the original poster’s point. Lol

Comment by Mike – October 26, 2012 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The pic on the front page is the whole cast, so no real spoiler there. And if you actually click through to an article clearly marked SPOILER, then it’s your own fault.

Comment by wordsmith – October 26, 2012 09:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @MichaelAusiello Post Mortem – This actor talks about their character dying in tonight’s episode of Show X that hasn’t even aired on the west coast yet! –95% of his recap and article links when a characer dies

Comment by TigerNightmare – October 27, 2012 08:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yep John, I am now defriending everything TVLine related in my Facebook, the link was posted about an actor not wanting to go with a “so sad” message just after it had aired, wtf. Some shows I love to be spoiled, some shows not at all. The thing is, it’s a choice, my choice. I HATE websites who post stuff like this literally as it’s airing, EW is pretty bad with their recaps on the front page with a sentence describing what happened underneath (if we want to know we’ll click on the link!!!!) But in this case – Hadn’t seen a promo, post, spoiler, anything about Fringe. But alas I glance at Facebook for a second (which is generally safe) and bamn. I was so pissed. I’d take full responsibility if I had come here or EW – I’d then most likly be spoiled at my own will. But this was “liked and linked’ into my face!

Great inteview but the article or at least the promotion for it could have waited a few more hours or heck a day!

Comment by Erin – October 28, 2012 12:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The west coast gets no love on this site….and quite a few others.

Comment by tp – October 28, 2012 05:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • West Coast? Who cares?

Comment by JJ – October 28, 2012 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t see that coming at all. i’m sad to see Etta go. I’m surprised they killed her off so early though. even iof there are only 9 episodes left.

Comment by Chris – October 26, 2012 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like the idea of Etta, but she was annoying. I didn’t come to like her like I do the other characters so I didn’t care that she was killed. I feel badly for Peter and Olivia because they have to grieve the loss of their daughter a second time, but I’d rather the show focus on the core team fixing things.

Comment by k – October 26, 2012 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh this episode was amazing!!! I love Fringe now even better then the first season and look forward to each episode.

Comment by Suz – October 26, 2012 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, thanks a lot for spoiling tonight’s episode with your headline. You know there are millions of fans in the Mountain and Pacific time zones not to mention Alaska and Hawaii. Jerks, anything to get the first headline.

Comment by Sky Lark – October 26, 2012 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously you were warned.

Comment by Vi – October 26, 2012 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by TV Gord – October 26, 2012 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • THANK YOU; there is no way to get to this page coupling the headline with the photo without clicking through at least one thing that clearly warns of spoilers. If the word “die” is the issue, I’ll quote the great Christian Shephard: “Everybody dies sometime, kiddo.”

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – October 26, 2012 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • But it is the photo. I’m not upset about it because with Twitter I usually do get spoiled on things but I’m on the west coast and all I did was come here to the main site and saw a photo of Etta along with a headline about a death. I immediately knew that since she was pictured, she was the death so I figured why not just read the article too and clicked inside. Why not a cast photo/show logo in cases like this AT LEAST until the show has aired everywhere in the US? Next time, please? I still have an hour before it even comes on.

Comment by Amy – October 26, 2012 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I’m sorry, but if you’re worried about spoilers, especially big ones, before a show, then don’t come to a site that might have some information up already. It’s that simple. You know TVLine does Post-Mortems on episodes, you’ve seen it done before if you come here often. So you really can’t say that you didn’t expect something, and with a big night for Fringe (episode wise), you can’t cry ignorance on thinking there was a possibility there might be something up already. Stop yelling at the writers to be more responsible. You have the option of ignoring sites until the airing, use it.

Comment by LS – October 27, 2012 11:32 AM PDT
        • I logged on to tv line homepage for Ask ausiello and the first thing I saw was ‘Post Mortem: Fringe Star ‘Didn’t Want to Die.’ Yeah you may not have spoiled who died but I spent the whole episode thinking about who was going to die, I’ve never seen TVLIne be so irresponsible with a headline. I didn’t want to know anyone was gonna die, regardless of who it is, the fact that there was gonna be a death was def a spolier!

Comment by Audaub – October 27, 2012 04:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I’m going to say to you what I said above: if you’ve been to TVLine before, you know they do PostMortems on episodes. So don’t come here before a show’s aired if you care so much about spoilers. It’s really that simple.

Also? TVLine has used similar headlines before, especially with other big primetime dramas. Don’t call them “irresponsible” for their taglines. Ultimately, it’s up to you to avoid sites that may contain spoilery information if you’re going to get so angry about it.

Comment by LS – October 27, 2012 11:34 AM PDT
          • LS – I get what you’re saying but don’t be so smug. I personally know better than to come to a spoiler site the day that an episode airs. However I was linked here by sweet old innocent facebook just after the episode had first aired (and hadn’t aired elsewhere or had been uploaded yet) – that’s how I was spoilt, a damn facebook post gave it away and it’s not like I clicked on the actual link nor is my facebook is littered with tv pages or related friends. Also a spoiler warning is futile when you have a big picture of the actress in question with one of the main character that will never be permanently killed – until possibly the end. People may be silly to come to a tv site when they haven’t watched an episode of something that features on said tv site but then again a lot of good sites remain classy by NOT giving anything away until after you click on the link to the article – i.e. if you click there you were after that info thus you can’t cry foul.

People have a fair gripe here. I honestly hope you are blindsided by a spoiler so then you can actually understand!

Comment by Erin – October 28, 2012 12:12 AM PDT
          • I hear what you’re saying LS about logging onto spoiler sites. But the fact that spoiler warnings are used on homepages and at the beginning of articles negates you’re argument, if you were supposed to expect spoilers from the moment you went to homepages, they wouldn’t bother with spoiler warnings before or once you’ve clicked into the article would they? And please don’t mistake my complaint with anger, what about my post is ‘so angry?’ Its not a big-deal, its a tv-show, but I like this site and I’m gonna feedback when I feel there’s unnecessary mistakes, its constructive criticism not a hate-filled rant.

Comment by Audaub – October 28, 2012 03:13 AM PDT
    • why would you even click this article if you haven’t seen the episode yet? you’re just asking to have it ruined

Comment by K – October 26, 2012 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Some people just love to bitch about spoilers. I’m convinced of it.

Comment by TV Gord – October 26, 2012 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Better question: why go to a spoiler SITE?!

Comment by katherine – October 26, 2012 10:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Meanwhile, zap2it.com’s headline: ‘Fringe’ death shocker: Etta goes down for the resistance. A little less ambiguous.

Comment by TV Gord – October 26, 2012 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And the person has still chosen to link to entertainment spoiler sites, rather than the extremely minor incovenience of actually having to click a link to visit. It’s all on the nutty poster, not the spolier site.

Comment by Temperence – October 27, 2012 12:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • blah blah blah complain complain complain blah blah blah. as someone who reads TVline everyday the only time something is spoiled for me is when i spoil it for myself and click on an article CLEARLY marked spoiler. you only have yourself to blame.

Comment by Elyse – October 27, 2012 05:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love people that come to a website that they know contains spoilers and yet complains about getting spoiled. Wait until the next morning to come to tvline if you’re worried about it.

Comment by jules – November 1, 2012 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was brave considering who this character is the child of Olivia and Peter you don’t mess with that but in the whole spectrum on things everything is done for a reason on Fringe. I felt throughout the episode that someone wasn’t going to make it I had a feeling it could be Broyles but I do like this them taking this road.

Comment by Johnathan Lansana (@tvgenius05) – October 26, 2012 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I had the same thoughts. I thought for sure the death would be Broyles and that Etta was safe because she’s a Bishop, but there must be a really good reason for doing something so cruel to Peter, Olivia and Walter. I really hope that Walter’s plan will take them back to their time and prevent the Observers from even beginning their take over. That way, they can watch Etta grow up in a better world.

Comment by Carrie – October 27, 2012 01:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i would also love such a wonderful ending but isn’t that the same thing peter did at the end of season 3 when he used the machine? isn’t that what everyone wanted during season 4 and it didn’t quite happen that way? and now we all want that to happen in season 5 but the reality is… fringe is way too smart for that kind of an easy ending. i dont want to even imagine such a happy ending. i pessimistically am keeping my expectations low on the happy scale just so i dont fall into a deep and dark depression afterward. though etta’s death… it’s still too fresh… i can’t think about it too much or i’ll actually make myself depressed.

Comment by cjeffery7 – October 27, 2012 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gaaahhh, I’m still hoping she comes back somehow. Is she back in Australia? I can’t believe Fringe is going to end with Peter and Olivia without Etta. And I immediately loved Georgina. She was truly great in the role besides of course being automatically liked by those who love her mother/father/grandfather.

Also, Midori004, horrible trash? What kind of shows are you watching?

Comment by Zar – October 26, 2012 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yep, Georgina is back in Australia (was there when I called), has been for a while.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – October 26, 2012 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Awww she’ll be missed. I think they’re already on the last few episodes so I’m not getting my hopes up that she’ll be back then. But I’d like to be (pleasantly) surprised.

Comment by zarine – October 26, 2012 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • right?! i was really hoping they were going to end the war as a family! and how can they just take her away again after finally being reunited with her parents after 20 or so years?!?!?!? gahhh i dont know what they’re going to do without her i mean not only is she the one who knows whats going on in ‘this time’ but she’s kinda the one that brought everyone back together!!

Comment by K – October 26, 2012 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I completely and utterly fell in love with Etta, but I trust these writers so unconditionally, I know they are doing what’s right for the show. I am SO looking forward to having a complete DVD collection of a series that was brilliant from beginning to end. Losing Etta so soon into this final season is unfair…but so is life.

Comment by TV Gord – October 26, 2012 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ITA about Etta and the insta-love. But at least [SPOILER FROM PROMO COMING UP] it appears [SPOILER FROM PROMO COMING UP] that her d****h puts a [SPOILER FROM PROMO COMING UP] fire in P*t**’s [SPOILER FROM PROMO COMING UP] belly.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – October 26, 2012 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • LOL! I hate spoiler-spoilers!!! What the hell are you saying??? Bahahahahahahaahaa!

Comment by TV Gord – October 26, 2012 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • matt, you literally just made me love you with this post. and yes, it sure does light a fire under his ass.

Comment by ohlala – October 26, 2012 09:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s what I was thinking. Peter has mostly always been a cheerful, glass is half full kind of guy but when he watched what happened to Etta, he kind of went dark it seemed. Yikes. Beware Windmark, this p i s s e d off father is comin’ for you.

Comment by Amanda – October 29, 2012 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i’m looking forward to a complete series Blu-ray set. :)

Comment by leahbh – October 27, 2012 08:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i dont know ho you are gonna make it, but you have to bring her back Wyman! Damn Observers. I hate those guys. And Olive is devastated, also Peter and Walter and Astrid for sure. And I thinks all the people who love this show feels the same. I love Etta, damn it!

Comment by Melina Gaspar (@melinae07) – October 26, 2012 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Astrid doesn’t know yet. I mean, she will next episode, but as of this one, she doesn’t because she wasn’t with the group.

Comment by neums (@neums) – October 27, 2012 01:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a joke. This was such a cheap way of doing a revenge storyline. If this wasn’t the last season, I would have quit watching. What a disappointment!

Comment by M – October 26, 2012 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Cheap? Killing off the daughter they were just reunited seems pretty darned EXPENSIVE to me…

Comment by John DeMayo – October 26, 2012 10:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wow. Are you me? I couldn’t agree more. It was cheap melodrama, not good storytelling. Cry, audience. CRY! That’s how you know it’s high art! Please. This was just lazy.

Comment by MA – October 27, 2012 12:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You don’t even know where they’re going with this storyline, so how can you call it cheap and lazy? I’m pretty sure there will be some fantastic payoff, since “Fringe” has been brilliant from the beginning.

Comment by Carrie – October 27, 2012 01:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Fringe is very well done, but it has veered into melodrama before. Of course this will “pay off” in the end, and it seeems pretty obvious where it’s going: A revenge storyline with a massive reset at the end so that the family lives happily ever after. That is the easy story. Killing off the most obvious character and presenting constant misery and calling it brave are cheap. That’s how I can say it. I don’t much like soap operas, even when they’re dressed up in incredibly talented packaging.

Comment by MA – October 27, 2012 02:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Except Georgina Haig is already back in Australia. I would imagine she would have stuck around if she was going to appear on the show again.

Comment by John DeMayo – October 27, 2012 12:21 PM PDT
          • Georgina Haig won’t; little Etta will.

Comment by MA – October 27, 2012 01:52 PM PDT
          • with respect, i think you’re making the same assumption that most people are hoping for: that just because it is within the realm of possibility in the fringe world to turn back the clock and provide us with a happy and neat ending the writers will probably do so. if fringe has proven anything to me over the last 5 seasons it’s that they take the most UNEXPECTED turns, the least of which was the existence of a parallel universe, the greatest of which is probably the takeover of the observers. have a little faith that just because this is their last season they’re not packing it in for a happily ever after ending. that’s not the show they started out as and i’ll be a monkey’s uncle if that’s not the show they end up as.

Comment by cjeffery7 – October 27, 2012 02:29 PM PDT
          • Logically she isn’t needed to film for awhile she would go home rather than sit around doing nothing for a couple of months. That or she filmed scenes to be shown later before going home. That or like others have said it would be young Etta back, not Georgiana Haig

Comment by to John Demayo – October 27, 2012 02:34 PM PDT
            ***
            What I don’t like is when writers use emotionally manipulative ploys to jerk an audience around because that’s not not good writing. It’s easy to upset people, easy to make them cry, especially when you have characters they love to screw around with. What’s not easy is weaving a multi-layered story that gives purpose to everyone involved. Etta’s death in this episode served no purpose except to shock and upset the audience and to crush her parents and give them a cause to fight for. The problem is that had already happened. They had already been crushed and they already had a cause to fight for. We’ve had this storyline; we’ve had angst and sorrow, guilt and misery, all based on Etta being taken from her parents. I got it. Peter and Olivia are super upset when someone takes their kid from them. What I’d prefer is that, instead of relying on old melodrama, the writers of Fringe came up with something new to make me cry, mainly because I know they’re capable of doing it.

Comment by MA – October 27, 2012 06:32 PM PDT
  • I had a feeling it was going to be Etta or Broyles. But since we haven’t seen Broyles in the last three eps, I figured they wouldn’t kill him since it would piss fans off to bring him in and kill him in the same ep. Etta’s death makes sense since it will be a catalyst for them to really push this plan forward. Plus it looks like from the promo that they will use her as a face for the resistance. Still, I was hoping it would be a situation where they got her back to the lab and then ambered her to keep her alive. Then after the resistance wins, they de-amber her and repair her wounds.

Comment by Alichat – October 26, 2012 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THIS WAS TOTALLY NOT OKAY

Comment by Rrrrrr – October 26, 2012 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I totally thought it was Broyles who was doing after I saw this post headline on twitter and Lance’s tweet.

Comment by Annie – October 26, 2012 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What the heck!!!! That was the most horrible twist I’ve seen in a television show in a very long time!!!! Part of the reason I’ve been loving the show so much this season was the family dynamic which included Etta. It was so cruel to give Peter and Olivia back their daughter, only to kill her off!!!!! I’m so angry!

Comment by Lee Fowler – October 26, 2012 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope they do this back to the past thing, and prevent the observers take the world..and Etta is still alive

Comment by Lorena – October 26, 2012 09:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was shocked..really shocked by this…I mean maybe I shouldn’t have been but I was. Sooo sad! This isn’t fair…it just keeps getting more depressing and bleak for them.

Comment by Robin – October 26, 2012 09:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Doesn’t this now point to a complete reset? The plan is to stop the observers from ever coming back through time (allowing Earth to remain free) so September never distracts Walternate when he finds the cure for Alt-Peter. Walter sees this, never goes over there since Peter is cured which then creates no universe issues, no observers, no fringe events. The final seen in the other universe is Alt-Peter (our Peter) bumps into Alt-Olivia and they start to talk….

Comment by Kyle – October 26, 2012 09:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • that would be really disappointing. plus they already said they’re done with the alt-verse. at this point it’s about our peter and our olivia. if they do a reset, i think it would just go back to before the invasion and they could all have a happy life together as a family.

Comment by ohlala – October 26, 2012 09:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This is what I want! But Peter and Olivia need to remember everything, like Olivia eventually ended up doing in the last season.

Comment by katherine – October 26, 2012 10:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s an interesting theory, but September interrupting Walternate when he was concocting the cure isn’t what sent the Observers here. As we’ve seen from historical pictures, the Observers have been coming here for centuries. I imagine it was always their goal to invade at a certain time. So resetting back to that point will only wipe out the relationships we’ve grown to love over these 5 seasons…..Walter and Peter….Peter and Olivia……Astrid and Walter…..etc. Plus, I don’t think they’d know how to fight the Observers if they didn’t have to deal with alternate universes and Fringe events. It’s that experience that’s given them the knowledge and strength to deal with all of this.

Comment by Alichat – October 27, 2012 08:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No, I meant that the Bishops will make it so that the observers never go back in time at all(possibly destroy the way they travel back in time before they can use it first). Since they never go back in time, September doesn’t distract Walternate, Walter doesn’t go over to rescue Peter (since Walternate saves him), no fringe events, no universes’ war, Walter does not go crazy, his wife doesn’t kill herself (no grief of seeing a son that is not hers), and Peter doesn’t feel like an outsider since he grew up in his own universe. Fringe already reset the relationship we had with the team last season when the original timeline was wiped out. The Fauxlivia would be closer to our Olivia since no fringe events in her universe either. Then after all this reset, the ties that seem to bind Peter and Olivia across different timelines and universes cannot be broken as they bump into each other and strike up a conversation (goes with last season when even an erased Peter Bishop comes back because of this tie that binds). The entire series has seem to be based choices and their consequences. That is why we have had the multiple universes and timelines since all are created by a choice that an individual makes. The ultimate Choice is that Walter from this universe must let go of Peter and accept that his son died so I think he would be the one to stop the observers once and for all and thus resetting the time line.

Comment by Kyle – October 27, 2012 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Ok, I see what you were trying to say. But, remember that Walter and Bell were already watching the alt-universe and sending things over into that universe before our Peter died. So, while saving alt-Peter was the catalyst that drove Walter to cross into the other universe, we don’t know that he wouldn’t find some other reason to cross over. He did have Bell remove part of his brain because he thought he was getting to be too dangerous. So, the potential for all those things to still happen is there whether the Observers are there or not. Like you said…choices. But, interesting theory. I’d be disappointed if they went that route though. I like the character dynamic as it is, and would hate for it to end with them not knowing each other.

Comment by Alichat – October 27, 2012 06:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Epically beautiful. I instantly fell in love with Georgina Haig as Etta. Perfect casting. Hope to see lots more of her on American TV/Movies. This episode continues the pattern this whole season has had so far, which is that it was top notch, 100% A-plot perfection. Love how in these final 13, not a single word spoken, not a single frame shown is filler, it is all 100% top grade story telling.

Comment by M3rc Nate – October 26, 2012 10:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • it’s so sad how few people appreciate it.

Comment by ohlala – October 27, 2012 03:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • THIS. I looked at Fringe’s official FB page and all I saw were complaints. I know different people like different things and Fringe’s fanbase seem to be rather diverse, maybe because every season has been different. I guess I can only be glad I’m with the writers through and through. Despite this one episode hurting a lot and honestly I can’t be confident there won’t be more deaths. But I get it and I think it’s brilliant. I’m just not sure if I’ll be singing the same tune if we lose Olivia, or Peter, or Walter in the end. In fact I’m fairly certain I would be inconsolable, no matter the circumstances.

Comment by Zar – October 27, 2012 06:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t think it’s that people don’t appreciate it. I think it’s that we know Fringe can do better so it’s incredibly disappointing when the storytellers come up with lazy plots to move things along. The acting on this show is amazing. The direction, setup, even most of the writing is top notch. That’s why it’s so shocking when they blow it.

Comment by MA – October 27, 2012 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The thing is some of us don’t think they’re blowing it. They’re just telling a different story from before. Not surprisingly, others don’t like *that* story. I’m not sure what others are looking for, but I no longer look at it on a per-episode basis; I’m waiting for all 13 to play out before I make my final judgment. It’s essentially one big “movie.” I, for one, think this is the way to go. There’s no more time for isolated freak-of-the-week cases or jumping universes.

Comment by zarine – October 27, 2012 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will miss Olivia and Etta’s fascinating releationship the most. I loved watching those too.
    Anyone think Peter and Olivia will get her back somehow? There’s got to be time travel involved somewhere. This is Fringe!

Comment by Sandy – October 26, 2012 10:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The showrunners promised faithful Fringe viewers a love letter and I believe it is still coming. I believe there will be some kind of time reboot – that Walter is the one that sacrifices himself to wipe out the Observers to that they never arrive, and in the finale we are taken back to Etta’s birth or the scene in the park before they arrive in the current timeline. If that does not happen, then I believe Walter will wipe out the Observers and Peter and Olivia will have more children. Either way, the showrunners still have time to deliver a satisfying finale.

Comment by tvdiva – October 26, 2012 10:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When Walter lost Peter, he nearly destroyed two universes to bring him back. What will Peter do now that he has lost Etta? If I was an Observer/Invader, I’d be terrified to find out. And from the preview for the next episode it looks like Peter is going to unleash himself upon them. Can’t wait to see that!

Comment by Steven Plagman – October 26, 2012 11:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • UGH, THIS! So bad…. and we KNOW Peter is like his father somewhat, so Peter is probably going to be a monster at this point…

Comment by ninaleecherryambition – October 27, 2012 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Catch them and perform frontal lobotomy’s on each one and leave their drooling in the streets.

Comment by BrianR – October 27, 2012 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • God, I usually hate when a character joins a cast like this but she was absolutely perfect – it didn’t hurt she is beautiful and a terrific actress but the character was great and they needed a new “everyman” for how the world is now…

I’m am actually incredibly sad she’s gone, that was such a depressing end, and I thought for sure they’d find a way to undo it, to save her, to convince her not to do it in the end – but there it was.

I think that was incredible and brave and perfect for Fringe to break my heart like that, and I can only imagine what it’ll do to Peter to lose his girl twice like that. Fringe is seriously some of the best storytelling on television.

Comment by Andrew Bell – October 27, 2012 01:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • nooooooooo!!!! I really loved having Etta there! Perfect casting and great chemistry with everyone. This is the biggest surprise death for me on TV ever! It definitely is not cheap and lazy when they could’ve milked the family interaction for a few more episodes before killing her off in the second to the last episode. This was definitely too early and risky! I hate losing her but I think it’s a logical way for the story to go. They were getting too comfortable with their little family. They needed a turning point to ramp up the emotion and action. Bravo Fringe !

Comment by Ansa – October 27, 2012 02:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Um, what?! How can you have a title like, “Fringe Star ‘Didn’t Want to Die,’” and then put that it’s a spoiler in small letters underneath the title? Saying that someone (especially one of the lead characters) dies is a spoiler in and of itself!

Spoiler alert: that’s like saying “Sixth Sense Star ‘Didn’t Want to Be One of the Dead,’” and saying that’s not a spoiler.

Comment by William – October 27, 2012 03:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s cruel how Olivia and Peter lost their child twice.

Comment by coil – October 27, 2012 03:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We haven’t seen the last of her, i refuse to believe that

Comment by hello – October 27, 2012 05:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m very upset about the death of Etta. However I’m mad with Joel Wyman, not with the Observers. Fringe is my favorite show, and I have loved the ups and and downs of this saga. This week however, this death felt like an attack by the WRITER on both the Bishops and myself, the viewer. The family that Bishops had with Etta seemed earned by several seasons of hardships. Losing Etta now just felt sadistic. I remember Buffy Season 6 in a similar light – Jane Espenson (a great writer) did everything she could to make the title character miserable and the season wasn’t profound, it was just unfun. The suffering seemed forced. Like Buffy, Fringe has earned my trust, and I will watch every episode they make, but I’m not looking forward to watching the Bishops be tormented by Mr Wyman.

Comment by Michael – October 27, 2012 06:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jeff Pinkner was the genious of Fringe but he left Fringe lat the end of Season 4 and J.H. Wyman sucks. Etta should have never died. And the liberation from the Observers invasion should stand and not reverse back through time as if it never happened. But I repeat Etta should have never died and J.H. Wyman you suck.

Comment by Antenor – October 27, 2012 07:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Overhyped death by the critics imo all were saying everyone would be sooo sad. I’m not sad at all to see etta go as I hate the peter/oliva romance to begin with it feels forced not natural.

Comment by steve – October 27, 2012 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Never saw the Polivia chemistry myself, but accepted it as a bone thrown to Dawson’s Creek refugees and enjoyed it for what it was.. But, with the death of Etta, Polivia is means nothing.

Comment by Matt Hickman (@hemo_jr) – October 27, 2012 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes because the natural, not forced romance looks like what you see in shows like TVD, Grey’s Anatomy, Gossip Girl where characters can’t seem to stop jumping each other for no other reason than to make it look sexy.

Comment by Z – October 27, 2012 04:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve stopped watching previews for next episodes and stopped reading spoilers, so i was completely shocked. i almost cried when Etta died, and I don’t cry about movies/tv. I have only cried 3 times ever while watching a movie (My Girl, Where the Red Fern Grows, and Mr Holland’s opus)

Comment by leahbh – October 27, 2012 08:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey Matt give out the idiot show-runners phone and email and we will all let them know what for 24 hours a day.

Comment by BrianR – October 27, 2012 08:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wait- “Etta” must also exist in the alternate universe! Go grab her!

Comment by Rweat – October 27, 2012 08:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t see how. Etta was the child of a woman from this universe and a man from the alt-universe. How could there be an Alt-Etta when this universe’s Peter is dead? He’d need to be in the alt-universe procreating with alt-Olivia to create alt-Etta. Lord….that was just confusing to type!

Comment by Alichat – October 27, 2012 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wrong. Her full name is Henrietta. HENRI-etta. She is/was the parallel to Henry- Peter’s child with “Faux-livia” (Olivia from the other timeline in the OTHER universe). See how the names are similar?

If we can’t get Etta back this season, I’d like to see what Olivia’s niece Ella is up to…

Comment by ninaleecherryambition – October 27, 2012 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As someone who has watched Fringe faithfully from Day 1, I am not going to question the writers now. Fringe has never been about deliberately sticking it to its loyal (Grey’s, anyone?). And so I’m choosing to believe that there is going to be a huge payoff.

I think it’s so easy for us to rant and rage when one of the fan-favorite characters die, but I’ve never seen Fringe do death or loss without a reason. When AltLincoln died last season, I felt that loss. I felt it and I hated that he had to die. But then the writers followed through and allowed Lincoln from our side to help in the healing process, and that meant a place for him Over There. It was beautifully done and poignant, so even though it sucked .. I could live with it.

So I can live with this. It’s going to be interesting to see how the Bishops/resistance respond/s, and how everything pays off. But, I have faith in the writers that have already given us four beautifully written seasons.

Comment by LS – October 27, 2012 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Antenor – October 27, 2012 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You do know that Jeff Pinkner and J.H. Wyman mapped out the final season together, right? It was only *after* they’d already planned everything out that Pinkner departed from day-to-day operations on the show, in order to get a head-start on new projects. The decision was made together, and cannot be blamed on one or the other.

Comment by John DeMayo – October 27, 2012 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Alt-Lincoln was the fun Lincoln. Killing him off just to give regular Lincoln a shot at Fauxlivia seemed a bit contrived. It was not a payoff, it was a trade-down.

Comment by Matt Hickman (@hemo_jr) – October 27, 2012 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Excuse you, I’d take BlueLincoln over RedLincoln in a second. Not to mention nothing had *ever* happened between RedLinc and RedOlivia in the previous timeline or the current one, it was only him that had a crush on her. RedOlivia said she liked nice guys, which BlueLincoln is, so it was perfectly believable that she would go for him when she’d never gone for RedLincoln.

Comment by Dawn – October 27, 2012 10:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If this season is a love letter to the fans, it is one laced with anthrax spores.

It is now pretty obvious that Etta was added to the show and made as appealing as possible for the purpose heightening the shock to the audience of killing her off.

Because, somehow, the Observers invading, the billions of people dying, the loss of freedom and dignity, and the impoverishment of a world was not enough to convince the audience that our intrepid heroes are on a vengeful quest without compunction or mercy and be 100% behind them.

Comment by Matt Hickman (@hemo_jr) – October 27, 2012 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ok, let’s all just step back for a second and realize we’re in denial and we’re angry (the first two stages of grieving). let’s all take a few days to distract ourselves with our other tv obsessions and let mr. mitovich grieve as well without being blasted for something he has no control over. it’s not his fault. you know who’s fault it IS?? JOEL WYMAN!! ATTAACCKKK!!! only joking ya’ll, only joking.

Comment by cjeffery7 – October 27, 2012 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s impossible to MISS the headline even scrolling through really quickly on a RSS reader. You guys really should have a policy not to spoil in headlines that a “major character” died …. Thanks, another great TV moment ruined.

Comment by SamIAM – October 27, 2012 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So heartbreaking to watch Peter lose his child again as Walter has had to numerous times with Peter. So a reset or will Peter go the way of Walter and use the screen in the basement lab room to see if Etta is alive on the other side?

Comment by Lindsey Lyons (@lindseylyons) – October 27, 2012 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • that was one of the most intense hours of tv I ever watched. cuddoes for the writting staff they did an amazing job even though it was predictable IMO. I’m pretty sure the season finale will be them resetting the time line, so it’s not really goodbye for Etta. still georgina Haig did a fantastic job and am sorry to see her go this soon.

Comment by James – October 28, 2012 12:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just getting rid of the Observers doesn’t really ‘fix things’ so I think the only emotionally satisfying direction this can all go is a reset in time; and the closing moments of the series are with the family in the park in ‘modern day.’ They’ve referenced that scene so much already it has to be foreshadowing as much as it is flashback. That said re-setting the timeline is a plot device they’ve used once (Peter vanishing the second time he used the machine) or twice (if you count the flash forward episode with Olivia’s death) already, so I’m hoping they put enough of a twist on it to be unique..

Comment by Jack R – October 28, 2012 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so sad for the bishop family. great show.

Comment by Patti – October 28, 2012 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did they ever explain why the Observers went back in time to begin with: ie. to make sure Peter died? or to observe all of the Fringe incidents now that the team is using all the souvenirs from those incidents to fight against the observers? Was September trying to prevent the observer take over? As he travels back from the future, will he be able to stop in 2036?

Comment by Queerbec – November 1, 2012 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post