Vampire Diaries Scoop: Phoebe Tonkin Previews Her Wolfy 'Threat' to Tyler and Caroline

Phoebe TonkinIs a wolf about to ruffle the feathers of The Vampire Diaries lovebirds Tyler and Caroline?

The Secret Circle‘s Phoebe Tonkin shows up in Mystic Falls this Thursday (The CW, 8/7c) as Hayley, a werewolf who helped Tyler free himself from Klaus’ mental chains. As a result, she and the hybrid have shared quite the traumatic experience, which might spell trouble for Tyler’s current romance.

PHOTOS | The Vampire Diaries Sneak Peek: Damon Teaches Elena a Bloody Important Lesson

“Hayley is a little bit of a threat to that relationship because she has a history with Tyler,” says Tonkin. “She knew Tyler during a very emotional time [when] he was breaking his sire bond.”

In tough situations like that, people tend to lean on each for support and… something more. So can viewers trust that the two kept things strictly platonic in the past? “All we know is that they were friends and that they went through something big together, so they have a special bond because of that,” replies the actress. “So they were just good friends. But I don’t know if, at the beginning, Caroline thinks that.”

That doubt will cause “a bit of friction” between the girls as the blonde vamp is “a little threatened” — there’s that word again! — “by Hayley because she doesn’t know how close her relationship was with Tyler in the past,” Tonkin says. As for the hybrid himself, he’s “a little surprised” by the unexpected appearance from his pal “because she’s, obviously, someone from his past, a past that we don’t know that much about. But she’s a good friend of his, so he’s just excited to see [her].”

Vampire Diaries Phoebe Tonkin Candice Accola Michael Trevino

Tonkin advises fans of the couple not to fret too much. “Caroline and Tyler have their own situations going on,” she says. “I don’t think Hayley is a huge priority for Caroline at the moment. They have a lot of bigger things” to worry about. And the werewolf, too, is on a mission, so starting a relationship (or breaking one up) isn’t on her agenda.

“She’s hiding a secret, and she’s trying to find out something very important to her that we’re going to [discover] eventually,” teases the actress.

VIDEO | Vampire Diaries First Look: Rebekah Seeks Matt’s Forgiveness — Will They Kiss and Make Up?

Despite all the turmoil Hayley may stir up, Tonkin hopes the audience likes her character, who she believes is a departure from her Secret Circle witch Faye – “It was definitely going to go darker, a little bit more twisted,” she says of what the future held for the canceled CW drama – even though the two are both “confident and strong and independent,” she says. “Hayley has a little bit more empathy. Faye is quite manipulative.”

But who has more fun: Werewolves, witches or the mermaids of her and Vampire Diaries co-star Claire Holt’s Australian series H20: Just Add Water?

“They all have their different kind of fun,” she replies with a laugh. “But it’s definitely nice to play Hayley. She’s a free spirit. She’s kind of ballsy. She’s different from what I’ve played before.”

1. M says:

This whole storyline is ridiculous. It’s such a retcon that I don’t even know how someone is supposed to take this seriously! Hayley was just created for this season, so I can’t blame Tyler for keeping anything. He didn’t know he was keeping a secret! I really, really don’t appreciate Plec trying to assassinate his character. If they want to do Klaroline, do it. Just don’t ruin 3 years of Tyler’s character development to do it!

If we’re stuck with this inane storyline than I just don’t understand why they couldn’t make Hayley his half-sister. She’s a werewolf and could have been Richard’s. It could have opened up so much story with Tyler and his family (especially his mom who could have known). It would be much more interesting in watching Tyler trying to split time between his new-found sister and Caroline, rather than ANOTHER pointless love triangle. I would have loved that dynamic, but sadly this show is too obsessed with love geometry to actually write a decent, non-contrived storyline.

• Ace says:

I assume they could still go this way — a surprise reveal at some point, perhaps — assuming no actual romance happens between them. And then Caroline would be embarrassed that she was jealous, once the truth comes out. (Candice Accola seems like she could pull off “embarrassed” in a really charming way.) Here’s hoping they do that instead of retreading way-too-familiar ground with yet another love triangle.

• Sarah says:

Well I’ll reserve my judgement until I see where the storyline goes. I think everyone assumes that it will turn into another love triangle but we don’t know that for sure.

• Naazneen says:

I dont understand how the introduction of new characters are scoffed at. Its getting a little incestuous in Mystic Falls so i have no problems with bringing in new characters who help explore the background/emotional state or otherwise help push and pull our characters in new and exciting ways. Just because she “might” be a potential obstacle in a current love story doesnt mean that her addition will be a bad one. Or that making her LESS of a possible love interest and MORE of platonic friend/family member suddenly makes her more acceptable as a cast member. If Caroline and Tyler are going to work out, then they will or wont.

• Ari says:

Um, for most of the past three years Tyler has been a huge douche. I don’t think it’s really ruining character development. If anything his sudden transformation into a “good guy” is the unebelievable part.

• ashlea says:

i dont think the storyline is ridiculous

2. Jake says:

I heard she comes back at the end of the season and wipes them all out. END OF TVD…God one can only hope.

3. enr702 says:

LOL at the fact that they keep using “someone from his past”..you mean someone from 3 weeks ago!? In the time frame of TVD, Tyler going out and breaking his sire bond was only several weeks prior.

4. Romney 2012 says:

She’s the reason I quit watching the secret circle she was just so annoying. Oh and I’m getting tired of all this love triangle crap (damon, elena, stephan)get them together or break them forever so f**** annoying. Or just give them a threesome

5. Gina says:

Tyler and Caroline as a couple absolutely STINK! Anything that breaks them up is okay by me.

6. Well I love the love triangle between(damon,elena,stefan). I just hope that this new girl doesn’t mess up tyler and caroline’s relationship bc it took them so long to get were they”re right now.and I think it would be cool to see Klaus and Caroline together for one he did save her life a couple of times so why not I think it would be a great idea. And I wish elena would just already pick damon she’s making me mad with this crap she know she loves damon so she needs to make her move already and stefan is boring to be with I mean she needs a love that consumes her and she’s not getting that with stefan.and for bonnie wat is her deal now she seems like she’s going to turn into this dark witch or something like that idk.and rebecca she has noone now her brother left her the salvatores hate her and elena and jeremy so wat she’s still doing here just saying

7. whatevs says:

Does Claire Holt have anything to do with Phoebe Tonkin being on this show now? They did do a show together years ago in Australia called H2O.

• Kay says:

No, Kevin Williamson was one of the people behind The Secret Circle that Phoebe worked on and loves her so when there was a role available that he felt she should do, he called her up for it.

8. Mikael says:

I’m so glad Phoebe was added to TVD and I hope she stays!! I was hoping she’d be an interest for Damon, but there’s still hope for that! I think they’d have great chemistry. I hope they don’t just use her for like 2 episodes and then kill her like they did to Cassidy Freeman.

9. Babybop says:

As long as she doesn’t touch Damon, I don’t care what she does.

10. Cody says:

Dont worry Forwood is endgame in the books, they have twins!

Klaroline, phoyler or whatever is just to pass time…..

• Jon says:

Yeah but the show deviates from the books greatly. Case in point in the books Caroline and Tyler are villains while on the show they’re good guys, so don’t assume that because they end up together in the books they will on the show as well.

11. Cody says:

I mean hayler

lol

12. Janine says:

I love Phoebe Tonkin and TSC! I’ll be watching TVD again just because of her

13. Phil says:

She was the only thing I loved about TSC. I’m not some crazy fan BTW and I think that they deserved the cancelation. That being said, TVD hooked me up again and made me remember why I became a fan in the first place. :D

14. luli says:

Finally!! an h20 reunion! cant wait :D

15. June says:

I remember phoebe Tonkin she was my favorite actress on the Secret Circle , i think she is terrific and i am glad that she is going to be on the Vampire Diaries tv show.

16. Kelly says:

Teenage girls and their obsession with the bad boys. It makes me laugh.

17. AlexanDraa says:

So Phoebe is a werewolf?

18. trisha says:

what episode of vampire diaries is she on