The Vampire Diaries Recap: Elena Loses It! Plus, Is Tyler a [Spoiler]?!

Vampire Diaries Joseph Morgan Ian SomerhalderThursday night’s The Vampire Diaries saw two characters lose it, mentally, while another might be on the verge of losing his girlfriend. As for that darn hunter and his invisible tattoos, he’s got a connection to more than just Jeremy. Read on for the episode’s biggest surprises.

PHOTOS | The Vampire Diaries Sneak Peek: Damon Teaches Elena a Bloody Important Lesson

LOSING CONTROL | Matt continues to let Elena feed on him, meeting up in their old make-out spot for a quick bite. But it’s not just bloodlust she has to control. Her rage against Rebekah, who’s mercilessly taunting her, reaches the point where Elena even grabs a white oak stake to finish off the Original vamp for good. (Side note: Isn’t our heroine getting good at cleaning off blood in the bathroom? Granted, there isn’t nearly as much this week after Rebekah throws back the pencil Elena hurled at her, stabbing her in the shoulder, as there was during last Thursday’s vomitfest.) Stefan is able to calm her, but things take a turn for the worse when Connor’s werewolf venom gets into her system and she starts to see visions of Damon. “A part of you knows you’re a lot more like me than him,” hallucinatory Damon tells her when she asks why she’s thinking of him.

As for the real Damon, he’s made hunting down Connor the last item on his to-do list before he leaves town. Meredith – and the entire viewing audience – isn’t buying that he’ll actually go. And it’s a good thing, too, because when Elena goes a little crazy with her Matt dinner, it’s Damon who stops her and reassures her he’ll teach her how to be a vampire the right way.

CONNOR EARNS HIS KEEP | Two important pieces of information about the hunter: 1) His tattoo can only be seen by hunters or potential hunters – is a Gilbert vs. Gilbert war in the making? – and 2) He’s part of The Five, but he has no idea what that is. Lucky for him, Klaus does. Now that he’s of value to the Original, he whisks Connor to safety just as Damon’s rigged explosion goes off. After discovering the hunter’s origins, Klaus decides has use for Elena now, too, and gives her some of his blood to heal her of the venom.

PHOTOS | The Vampire Diaries Goes Back in Time, and Bonnie Finds a Mentor

Vampire Diaries Claire HoltWILL YOU BE MY FRIEND? | Rebekah, suffering from werewolf venom – Matt told Connor she was the vampire who fed on him – and an acute case of no friends, tries to make amends with Matt one last time. “The reason you don’t find love is because you don’t deserve it,” he replies right before she rips out his heart! Calm down, it’s just a hallucination, but a very telling one. Possibly turning a corner, Rebekah offers to help April investigate her father’s death. Has she finally found her first friend in Mystic Falls?

LIAR, LIAR, PANTS ON FIRE? | Tyler gets two unexpected visitors this week: Klaus, who brings bodyguards to protect his hybrid, and Hayley (The Secret Circle‘s Phoebe Tonkin), a friend who helped him break his sire bond. But is she something more? Tyler strategically keeps her and Caroline from meeting. “In a moment of weakness, the thick sexual tension became something much more real,” Klaus suggests, and Tyler doesn’t deny it. Do you think he cheated, or does he just not want to talk about it with Klaus, even if it’s to say nothing happened? And does this maybe-tryst fall under the “We were on a break”/”We were cursed” category? Meanwhile, the lovely Caroline and Stefan friendship comes back into play as she agrees to help the younger Salvatore, who wants to be able to enjoy being a vamp with Elena without losing himself and becoming The Ripper again. She tells him he can call her any time, and she’ll pull him back from the edge. It’s also nice to some of their banter back (Caroline to Stefan: “You should write a book, go on The View.”)

Vampire Diaries fans, what did you think of “The Rager”? What do you think happened between Tyler and Hayley? Is Damon teaching Elena a good idea? And are you glad to see Caroline and Stefan being friends again? Hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. Josh says:

So many of the same beats from last season….especially when it comes to the villain…

2. Jerm says:

I feel like there is a small chance of Stefan and Caroline becoming an item.. Especially after their little moment this week…

3. iMember says:

This episode was one of TVD’s most fun and entertaining episodes in a long while. It was really good and the mystery of “The Five” and how Elena will play into this (because apparently Klaus now has a new purpose for her) and Jeremy’s arc into becoming a hunter is a very good direction!

So far this season is already better than Season 3 by a long shot. And the love triangle actually doesn’t feel forced for once!

4. Ms Wordz says:

This article could use a proofreader.

5. S says:

I enjoyed everything about this episode except the Stelena parts sorry but they bore me to death.

6. It’s sad, but I’m pretty sure the only reason I dislike Damon is because of Elena. I loved this episode’s Stefan and Caroline friendship moments. I’d be all for them getting together if Tyler wasn’t around, but I really love Caroline and Tyler.

• cherie says:

I am getting ticked of with Elena but I could never dislike Damon, I love Him.He is the only reason I watch this show, He got me hooked on it.

7. dude says:

I love Rebekah. She really is the best part of each episode for me. She’s such an entertaining, complex character and I wish she had a bigger role. It was nice to see her finally gain a friend in the cast. At her core, she’s just a lonely little girl desperate for love so it’s nice to see her accepted by someone.

8. Giselle says:

Even if Tyler didn’t have sex with Haley, something is up between them. For some reason Elena has something to do with the five. Klaus sure knows his history. I’m guessing there’s 5 people involved with “the five” idk I’m just guessing here the prt that bothers me is Elena, y is she useful to klaus again? Also a warewolf bite can’t kill an original vampire so y is rebeckah sick? I love the part where klaus was confronting Tyler about Haley n when Tyler didn’t deny it he made a face. It was like he was mad at Tyler for cheating on his beloved Caroline. Where the heck is Bonnie? N when Elena didn’t have her day light ring where the hell was Stefan? Speaking of Stefan, he just needs to accept the fact that he is the ripper. That is apart of him. Everyone has a dark side he need to accept his and control it. Just like Damon is teaching Stefan how to control his hunger.

9. Melissa says:

I think that Caroline and Klaus getting together wouldnt be such a bad idea- she changes him into this caring emotional person. I enjoyed this episode alot. I like that Damon is gonna teach Elena how to be a vampire the right way. Dont get me wrong I like Stefan but he is kind of boring at times. He is the safer choice…

10. George says:

That motorcycle scene with Stefan and Elena rivaled the infamous boating scene from the Ringer pilot!

11. Bender says:

loved the episode, elena was the hot even all vamped up.

12. Gina says:

Liked everything about the episode except the presence of the very boring Tyler. That kid who plays him is one of the worst actors ever! Painfully bad. More Damon! More Klaus! More Bonnie!

• renina says:

Damn I was just about to hate on your Tyler hate but then you wrote “More Bonnie!” Bonnie is my favorite character and love for Bonnie trumps hate for Tyler so…good day to you, sir.

13. Hyde says:

Was I the only one wondering why two vampires riding a motorcycle were wearing helmets? I mean geez they run faster than that motorcycle goes, why would they need helmets?

• Maria Flor de Luna says:

I’m guessing there’s an ordinance/state law in effect in Georgia that requires motorcycle riders to wear helmets or risk getting arrested if caught without wearing one.

• CS says:

I thought the same thing, too. Even if it is a law, wouldn’t they just compel them to let them go. I mean no helmet is certainly not as bad as standing on the back of a bike.

14. Babybop says:

Liked every part of the episode that didn’t involve Elena. She is so annoying this season.
    Starting to like Rebekah a lot more, though!

15. Random says:

I love Caroline and Stefan! Some of my favorite moments are of them together, they have such a beautiful friendship. I look forward to more of their scenes.

16. LillyCPB says:

This show is so great. It’s so well-written. Considering it’s a teen-angst/vampire/werewolf/vamp hunter show, it’s really very well written. I love it!

17. nice says:

whats going onn klaus was talking about “five”…one was there,rest 3 dont know is “jermey” the fifth one….whats going onnn????

18. Reward says:

Boooooring.
    I miss Katherine so much and, above all, I miss Kevin!

19. keith says:

Caroline and Stefan are great. I imagine that is a lot like Lexi and Stefan were.

20. JC says:

I love this episode this season is definitely heading in the right direction if they keep the pace up. I love that there was more Caroline tonight I love her :) It was nice to see Phoebe Tonkin I miss The Secret Circle :)

21. Curly Girly says:

Did I miss it? When did Elena and Rebekah get infected with the werewolf venom?

22. Julie says:

I think my favorite part is that the pointless love triangle wasn’t the main point in this episode. Loved Caroline and Stefan together but please keep it as a friendship. And I love, love Rebekah. She really is just like a little girl lost. Give her a good love interest!

23. Patricia says:

I’m so bored with this season it’s too much of the same thing. I know this is a teen show but it’s getting really boring watching them be in high school. I never hated Stefan before but I think the writers are doing everything to make him a dud. He is so useless. He said let the murdering to Damon, yeah Stefan while you sit in high school and do nothing, Damon has to solve all the real problems and them something goes wrong and Stefan just swoops in all richeous. Elena is another one she is such a tease you picked Stefan leave Damon but every time she really needs something she knows Damon is the only one who’ll get it done. Ugh I still have hope that next week things will get better

24. handtalker says:

I love the Stefan-Caroline friendship & wish we saw it more often. LOVED the return of Klaus!

25. GS says:

I cannot stand the scenes with Stefan and Elena. They have zero chemistry and are as boring as watching paint dry. Not to mention the cheesy green screen during the motorcycle ride. The scenes with her and Damon are smoking hot and I wish they would just go there and let Stefan find love elsewhere. I like mean Klaus better than needy Klaus and hope witchy Rebekkah goes away. Not sure about Jeremy keeping the secret about the venom from Elena. I hope he doesn’t turn on her after all she’s done for him. Loving the season so far especially since Bonnie isn’t around much.

• zye says:

too bad

stelena is endgame in the books and will be in he show

• Kreshnik says:

Why spoil it for everyone else?!?!?!?!? This is the third spoiler that I have seen on tvline…. F you.

• Sara says:

That’s not a spoiler. You would have to be deaf, dumb and blind not to know that by now. The books have been around since the 90s and Julie Plec gushes about Stelena in every interview she does.

• J says:

Just about the only thing this show has in common with the books are the character names (and then only some of them) and a bit of the back story. The TV version is so unlike the books that any ending, Stelena or Delena, is a possibility. And I’m grateful for that…the books are so inconsistent since the publisher didn’t let the original author finish them. The TV show is much better.

• Kreshnik says:

Of course it is a spoiler if someone tells you how the books end? You are to dumb to understand this.

Either way Zye ruined the books for me so mrhs on you.

• Julie says:

I disagree. I think they have tons of chemistry still. I wish Damon would find a new girl and stop pining for someone who doesn’t want to be with him (or have the guts to be with him). And I LOVE Rebekah!

• J says:

Ummmm….did you SEE her roving eyes in the scene in Damon’s bedroom? And the fact that she hallucinated him while she was kissing Stephan? She totally wants him. The triangle doesn’t go away until her inner conflict goes away, and that’s not gonna be for a looooooong time…

• Oh god. I don’t wanna wait for the end of the series to find out who she chooses. Personally, I’d be happiest with Stefan and Damon choosing each other and peacing out on Elena. I love both brothers but they really are at their worst around Princess Elena. At least, that’s how I feel. I even preferred Damon’s scenes with Meredith (her Delena cheering aside). And I loved Stefan and Caroline’s scenes together. It’s just Elena that makes them turn either into wimps or assholes. And I hate seeing Damon and Stefan fighting, especially over Elena.

• Susy says:

Amen to everything you said! Stefan and Elena are so boring together- it is annoying to watch! It is a total turn off!

26. Mikael says:

I’m so glad they showed Stefan/Caroline friendship again! For a while, it was like they forgot that he helped her with her transition! I absolutely love them together as friends. She is like his new Lexi. They need to show this more, and less of Elena playing Damon and Stefan off each other. Seriously, I hate Elena and her annoying back and forth. I wish they’d kill her and have Katherine come to town. I also liked the hint of Klaus/Damon bromance. And please make Phoebe Tonkin a regular.

• jules says:

Definitely agree on the Stefan/Caroline friendship…. she is like a new Lexi, so please don’t put sexual tension in there, they’re perfect as friends.
      Don’t like Elena’s back and forth, and yes I’d really like Katherine back, but not one or the other, I’d like to have them together… now that they’re both vamps, should be interesting.
      Klaus/Damon bromance– awesome! Could be kind of broken though, when Damon finds out that Klaus saved Connor.
      And yes and Amen to making Phoebe Tonkin a regular! Hayley seems like a cool new character, something the show could definitely benefit from and Phoebe is a great actress.

• luli says:

first make claire holt a regular, then phoebe.

27. Sara says:

OMG that motorcycle scene! It was worse than I could have imagined. It looked like some cheesy 1950s bicycle ride or something. I half expected “Singing in the Rain” to be playing. It was the lamest thing ever. I was totally holding out for Elena to be knocked off by a tree branch or something.

• Or impaled. That would have been my preference.

Don’t get me wrong. I love Stefan and I love Damon. I just don’t love Elena. And I’m sorry, but I really don’t care about her journey on being a vampire, especially when Damon was ready to stake Caroline but not willing to stake Elena. I know, I know, he’s in love with her but…I want him and Stefan both free of her.

28. Tracie says:

Things I loved about this episode:
    The Damon/Elena scenes
    The Damon/Klaus scenes
    The Stefan/Caroline scenes

Also, I couldn’t tell if Hayley was supposed to be Australian or American. In her first scene with Tyler, she sounded like she had her accent, but when she was talking with Klaus, she didn’t, was I think only one who was confused about that, or was I hearing things, or what?

• Rea says:

LOL I heard the accent thing too. I kinda like Tyler this season, Michael Trevino surprised me with how he pulled Klaus off. I don’t like Tyler and Caroline tough. Kinda think they are a little cliche teen thing(jock and a blonde cheerleader) even tough they are a vamp and a hybrid. I think Stelena scenes were bad and so contrived and it’s telling that Stefan is more capable of honesty and connection when talking to Caroline then his own girlfriend. BTW I don’t think Stefan has had anything to do with how good of a vampire Caroline is think it’s because she likes being a vampire. With that said I like Stefan-Caroline friendship.
      I love Damon/Elena interaction because Nina and Ian both have this talent to act with body language that I personally don’t see with Paul. In their scenes you can glean what they are feeling even if you turn off the sound and cover their faces. I liked all Damon scenes and Klaus/Damon cooperation. And I especially liked Jeremy/Damon little moment and implied interaction.

• luli says:

hahahaha it’s that phobe has never been that good with an american accents… that is why you heard different kind of accents

29. amien says:

I liked this episode, I reali wana see how stephen handles his ripper side..! And I so wana see how demon helps elena..! I miss for kol! And what’s going on with matt why is he still in the series?

30. Dipesh says:

it was a great episode, but Elena should start acting a bit like Kathrine, and what is up with the the whole “great evil” thing, and could Jeremy be one of the five because he can see the tattoo…and where the hell is bonnie we need a witch in vampire diaires

31. Nyny15 says:

Well I Would Like Too See More If Stefan/Caroline
    And Stefan And Elena Needa Get It Toqether The Problem.Is That Stefan Is Too Careful He Needs To Let Loose For At Least One Episode He Needs To Become The Riper Aqain And Elena Needs To Join Him Then Mayb There Relationship Wouldnt Be So Borin But I Still Love Stefan/Elena .
    It Needs To Be Like This
    Stefan/Elena
    Damon/Rebekah
    Tyler/Phoebe Tonkins
    Caroline\Klaus
    And They Need To Brinq Bacc Katherine Cause She Wass Fun ! and Where The Hell Is Bonnie ! And Jeremy Idk Bout Hes Juss Annoyin To Me . Btw I Love The Whole Stefan&&Caroline Friendship !