The Vampire Diaries Recap: Elena Loses It! Plus, Is Tyler a [Spoiler]?!

Get More: Recaps

Vampire Diaries Joseph Morgan Ian SomerhalderThursday night’s The Vampire Diaries saw two characters lose it, mentally, while another might be on the verge of losing his girlfriend. As for that darn hunter and his invisible tattoos, he’s got a connection to more than just Jeremy. Read on for the episode’s biggest surprises.

PHOTOS | The Vampire Diaries Sneak Peek: Damon Teaches Elena a Bloody Important Lesson

LOSING CONTROL | Matt continues to let Elena feed on him, meeting up in their old make-out spot for a quick bite. But it’s not just bloodlust she has to control. Her rage against Rebekah, who’s mercilessly taunting her, reaches the point where Elena even grabs a white oak stake to finish off the Original vamp for good. (Side note: Isn’t our heroine getting good at cleaning off blood in the bathroom? Granted, there isn’t nearly as much this week after Rebekah throws back the pencil Elena hurled at her, stabbing her in the shoulder, as there was during last Thursday’s vomitfest.) Stefan is able to calm her, but things take a turn for the worse when Connor’s werewolf venom gets into her system and she starts to see visions of Damon. “A part of you knows you’re a lot more like me than him,” hallucinatory Damon tells her when she asks why she’s thinking of him.

As for the real Damon, he’s made hunting down Connor the last item on his to-do list before he leaves town. Meredith – and the entire viewing audience – isn’t buying that he’ll actually go. And it’s a good thing, too, because when Elena goes a little crazy with her Matt dinner, it’s Damon who stops her and reassures her he’ll teach her how to be a vampire the right way.

CONNOR EARNS HIS KEEP | Two important pieces of information about the hunter: 1) His tattoo can only be seen by hunters or potential hunters – is a Gilbert vs. Gilbert war in the making? – and 2) He’s part of The Five, but he has no idea what that is. Lucky for him, Klaus does. Now that he’s of value to the Original, he whisks Connor to safety just as Damon’s rigged explosion goes off. After discovering the hunter’s origins, Klaus decides has use for Elena now, too, and gives her some of his blood to heal her of the venom.

PHOTOS | The Vampire Diaries Goes Back in Time, and Bonnie Finds a Mentor

Vampire Diaries Claire HoltWILL YOU BE MY FRIEND? | Rebekah, suffering from werewolf venom – Matt told Connor she was the vampire who fed on him – and an acute case of no friends, tries to make amends with Matt one last time. “The reason you don’t find love is because you don’t deserve it,” he replies right before she rips out his heart! Calm down, it’s just a hallucination, but a very telling one. Possibly turning a corner, Rebekah offers to help April investigate her father’s death. Has she finally found her first friend in Mystic Falls?

LIAR, LIAR, PANTS ON FIRE? | Tyler gets two unexpected visitors this week: Klaus, who brings bodyguards to protect his hybrid, and Hayley (The Secret Circle‘s Phoebe Tonkin), a friend who helped him break his sire bond. But is she something more? Tyler strategically keeps her and Caroline from meeting. “In a moment of weakness, the thick sexual tension became something much more real,” Klaus suggests, and Tyler doesn’t deny it. Do you think he cheated, or does he just not want to talk about it with Klaus, even if it’s to say nothing happened? And does this maybe-tryst fall under the “We were on a break”/”We were cursed” category? Meanwhile, the lovely Caroline and Stefan friendship comes back into play as she agrees to help the younger Salvatore, who wants to be able to enjoy being a vamp with Elena without losing himself and becoming The Ripper again. She tells him he can call her any time, and she’ll pull him back from the edge. It’s also nice to some of their banter back (Caroline to Stefan: “You should write a book, go on The View.”)

Vampire Diaries fans, what did you think of “The Rager”? What do you think happened between Tyler and Hayley? Is Damon teaching Elena a good idea? And are you glad to see Caroline and Stefan being friends again? Hit the comments with your thoughts!

Comments (72)

• So many of the same beats from last season….especially when it comes to the villain…

Comment by Josh – October 25, 2012 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah kinda bored with the show….no OMG moments anymore!!

Comment by Sparky – October 26, 2012 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I feel like there is a small chance of Stefan and Caroline becoming an item.. Especially after their little moment this week…

Comment by Jerm – October 25, 2012 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i would like that…

Comment by luli – October 27, 2012 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This episode was one of TVD’s most fun and entertaining episodes in a long while. It was really good and the mystery of “The Five” and how Elena will play into this (because apparently Klaus now has a new purpose for her) and Jeremy’s arc into becoming a hunter is a very good direction!

So far this season is already better than Season 3 by a long shot. And the love triangle actually doesn’t feel forced for once!

Comment by iMember – October 25, 2012 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with everything you ssid. I liked the little Damon/Klaus bromance. I know it was a brief one night thing but I think they could be friends if they put aside their whole, Klaus spent the last year torturing everyone Damon knows thing. :)

Comment by Ari – October 26, 2012 04:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think Klaus now need Elena because the Five can turn her back human, making him able to create hybrids.

Comment by vampers – October 26, 2012 07:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This article could use a proofreader.

Comment by Ms Wordz – October 25, 2012 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoyed everything about this episode except the Stelena parts sorry but they bore me to death.

Comment by S – October 25, 2012 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, and how cheesy was the motorcycle scene?! I typically love this show (and I don’t consider myself a shipper), but at that moment, I thought, “Oh god, maybe she’ll jump the motorcycle over a shark.”

Comment by CS – October 26, 2012 07:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Lol this was the best comment. Elena and Stefan are painful to watch. At least he stopped saying humanity and heightened emotions after every other word.

Comment by Patricia – October 26, 2012 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree that was a chessy scene- but I still Elena and Stefan together.

Comment by Julie – October 26, 2012 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • SOrry- I LIKE them together. Glad the writers stopped those lines :)

Comment by Julie – October 26, 2012 10:01 AM PDT
    • I could not agree more!

Comment by cherie – November 14, 2012 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s sad, but I’m pretty sure the only reason I dislike Damon is because of Elena. I loved this episode’s Stefan and Caroline friendship moments. I’d be all for them getting together if Tyler wasn’t around, but I really love Caroline and Tyler.

Comment by Mikaylah Roggasch – October 25, 2012 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am getting ticked of with Elena but I could never dislike Damon, I love Him.He is the only reason I watch this show, He got me hooked on it.

Comment by cherie – November 14, 2012 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Rebekah. She really is the best part of each episode for me. She’s such an entertaining, complex character and I wish she had a bigger role. It was nice to see her finally gain a friend in the cast. At her core, she’s just a lonely little girl desperate for love so it’s nice to see her accepted by someone.

Comment by dude – October 25, 2012 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Even if Tyler didn’t have sex with Haley, something is up between them. For some reason Elena has something to do with the five. Klaus sure knows his history. I’m guessing there’s 5 people involved with “the five” idk I’m just guessing here the prt that bothers me is Elena, y is she useful to klaus again? Also a warewolf bite can’t kill an original vampire so y is rebeckah sick? I love the part where klaus was confronting Tyler about Haley n when Tyler didn’t deny it he made a face. It was like he was mad at Tyler for cheating on his beloved Caroline. Where the heck is Bonnie? N when Elena didn’t have her day light ring where the hell was Stefan? Speaking of Stefan, he just needs to accept the fact that he is the ripper. That is apart of him. Everyone has a dark side he need to accept his and control it. Just like Damon is teaching Stefan how to control his hunger.

Comment by Giselle – October 25, 2012 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The point is that Stefan can’t control being a Ripper. It’s like alcoholism. An alcohol can’t have an occasional drink. There is no such thing as moderation.

Comment by Mikaylah Roggasch – October 25, 2012 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • For Rebekah, I guess that even though it can’t kil her, it might still affect her in some ways. Like the hallucination she had.

Comment by Mélanie – October 25, 2012 08:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • A werewolf bit shouldn’t be able to kill an original vampire. Only the white oak stake should be able to. But it wasn’t just any random werewolf blood. It was hybrid werewolf blood which is stronger and should be able to kill her.

Comment by Rachel – October 25, 2012 08:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Also a warewolf bite can’t kill an original vampire so y is rebeckah sick? its not original vampire its only klaus coz he is original hybrid..

Comment by nice – October 26, 2012 12:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think that Caroline and Klaus getting together wouldnt be such a bad idea- she changes him into this caring emotional person. I enjoyed this episode alot. I like that Damon is gonna teach Elena how to be a vampire the right way. Dont get me wrong I like Stefan but he is kind of boring at times. He is the safer choice…

Comment by Melissa – October 25, 2012 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That motorcycle scene with Stefan and Elena rivaled the infamous boating scene from the Ringer pilot!

Comment by George – October 25, 2012 08:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was cheesy but not as bad a Ringer

Comment by Sherri – October 25, 2012 09:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lol, I was thinking the same thing when I saw that! Such wonderful “special effects” to enhance the cheese factor!

Comment by Meredith – October 25, 2012 09:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • loved the episode, elena was the hot even all vamped up.

Comment by Bender – October 25, 2012 08:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Liked everything about the episode except the presence of the very boring Tyler. That kid who plays him is one of the worst actors ever! Painfully bad. More Damon! More Klaus! More Bonnie!

Comment by Gina – October 25, 2012 09:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Damn I was just about to hate on your Tyler hate but then you wrote “More Bonnie!” Bonnie is my favorite character and love for Bonnie trumps hate for Tyler so…good day to you, sir.

Comment by renina – October 26, 2012 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Was I the only one wondering why two vampires riding a motorcycle were wearing helmets? I mean geez they run faster than that motorcycle goes, why would they need helmets?

Comment by Hyde – October 25, 2012 10:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m guessing there’s an ordinance/state law in effect in Georgia that requires motorcycle riders to wear helmets or risk getting arrested if caught without wearing one.

Comment by Maria Flor de Luna – October 26, 2012 06:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought the same thing, too. Even if it is a law, wouldn’t they just compel them to let them go. I mean no helmet is certainly not as bad as standing on the back of a bike.

Comment by CS – October 26, 2012 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Liked every part of the episode that didn’t involve Elena. She is so annoying this season.
    Starting to like Rebekah a lot more, though!

Comment by Babybop – October 25, 2012 10:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Caroline and Stefan! Some of my favorite moments are of them together, they have such a beautiful friendship. I look forward to more of their scenes.

Comment by Random – October 25, 2012 10:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show is so great. It’s so well-written. Considering it’s a teen-angst/vampire/werewolf/vamp hunter show, it’s really very well written. I love it!

Comment by LillyCPB – October 25, 2012 10:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • whats going onn klaus was talking about “five”…one was there,rest 3 dont know is “jermey” the fifth one….whats going onnn????

Comment by nice – October 26, 2012 12:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boooooring.
    I miss Katherine so much and, above all, I miss Kevin!

Comment by Reward – October 26, 2012 03:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Caroline and Stefan are great. I imagine that is a lot like Lexi and Stefan were.

Comment by keith – October 26, 2012 03:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree! It’s nice to see an actual friendship and not add sexual tension to it.

Comment by Julie – October 26, 2012 05:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this episode this season is definitely heading in the right direction if they keep the pace up. I love that there was more Caroline tonight I love her :) It was nice to see Phoebe Tonkin I miss The Secret Circle :)

Comment by JC – October 26, 2012 04:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did I miss it? When did Elena and Rebekah get infected with the werewolf venom?

Comment by Curly Girly – October 26, 2012 05:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think that it was in the beer at the party….

Comment by Amanda – October 26, 2012 06:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Conner put Tyler’s werewolf venom in the keg. Elena and Rebekkah are the only vampires who drank from the keg.

Comment by GS – October 26, 2012 07:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think my favorite part is that the pointless love triangle wasn’t the main point in this episode. Loved Caroline and Stefan together but please keep it as a friendship. And I love, love Rebekah. She really is just like a little girl lost. Give her a good love interest!

Comment by Julie – October 26, 2012 05:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so bored with this season it’s too much of the same thing. I know this is a teen show but it’s getting really boring watching them be in high school. I never hated Stefan before but I think the writers are doing everything to make him a dud. He is so useless. He said let the murdering to Damon, yeah Stefan while you sit in high school and do nothing, Damon has to solve all the real problems and them something goes wrong and Stefan just swoops in all richeous. Elena is another one she is such a tease you picked Stefan leave Damon but every time she really needs something she knows Damon is the only one who’ll get it done. Ugh I still have hope that next week things will get better

Comment by Patricia – October 26, 2012 06:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the Stefan-Caroline friendship & wish we saw it more often. LOVED the return of Klaus!

Comment by handtalker – October 26, 2012 06:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I cannot stand the scenes with Stefan and Elena. They have zero chemistry and are as boring as watching paint dry. Not to mention the cheesy green screen during the motorcycle ride. The scenes with her and Damon are smoking hot and I wish they would just go there and let Stefan find love elsewhere. I like mean Klaus better than needy Klaus and hope witchy Rebekkah goes away. Not sure about Jeremy keeping the secret about the venom from Elena. I hope he doesn’t turn on her after all she’s done for him. Loving the season so far especially since Bonnie isn’t around much.

Comment by GS – October 26, 2012 07:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • too bad

stelena is endgame in the books and will be in he show

Comment by zye – October 26, 2012 08:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Why spoil it for everyone else?!?!?!?!? This is the third spoiler that I have seen on tvline…. F you.

Comment by Kreshnik – October 26, 2012 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • That’s not a spoiler. You would have to be deaf, dumb and blind not to know that by now. The books have been around since the 90s and Julie Plec gushes about Stelena in every interview she does.

Comment by Sara – October 26, 2012 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Just about the only thing this show has in common with the books are the character names (and then only some of them) and a bit of the back story. The TV version is so unlike the books that any ending, Stelena or Delena, is a possibility. And I’m grateful for that…the books are so inconsistent since the publisher didn’t let the original author finish them. The TV show is much better.

Comment by J – October 26, 2012 09:55 PM PDT
          • Of course it is a spoiler if someone tells you how the books end? You are to dumb to understand this.

Either way Zye ruined the books for me so mrhs on you.

Comment by Kreshnik – October 27, 2012 02:45 AM PDT
    • I disagree. I think they have tons of chemistry still. I wish Damon would find a new girl and stop pining for someone who doesn’t want to be with him (or have the guts to be with him). And I LOVE Rebekah!

Comment by Julie – October 26, 2012 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ummmm….did you SEE her roving eyes in the scene in Damon’s bedroom? And the fact that she hallucinated him while she was kissing Stephan? She totally wants him. The triangle doesn’t go away until her inner conflict goes away, and that’s not gonna be for a looooooong time…

Comment by J – October 26, 2012 09:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Oh god. I don’t wanna wait for the end of the series to find out who she chooses. Personally, I’d be happiest with Stefan and Damon choosing each other and peacing out on Elena. I love both brothers but they really are at their worst around Princess Elena. At least, that’s how I feel. I even preferred Damon’s scenes with Meredith (her Delena cheering aside). And I loved Stefan and Caroline’s scenes together. It’s just Elena that makes them turn either into wimps or assholes. And I hate seeing Damon and Stefan fighting, especially over Elena.

Comment by Jessica Desrocher – October 27, 2012 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amen to everything you said! Stefan and Elena are so boring together- it is annoying to watch! It is a total turn off!

Comment by Susy – October 26, 2012 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so glad they showed Stefan/Caroline friendship again! For a while, it was like they forgot that he helped her with her transition! I absolutely love them together as friends. She is like his new Lexi. They need to show this more, and less of Elena playing Damon and Stefan off each other. Seriously, I hate Elena and her annoying back and forth. I wish they’d kill her and have Katherine come to town. I also liked the hint of Klaus/Damon bromance. And please make Phoebe Tonkin a regular.

Comment by Mikael – October 26, 2012 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Definitely agree on the Stefan/Caroline friendship…. she is like a new Lexi, so please don’t put sexual tension in there, they’re perfect as friends.
      Don’t like Elena’s back and forth, and yes I’d really like Katherine back, but not one or the other, I’d like to have them together… now that they’re both vamps, should be interesting.
      Klaus/Damon bromance– awesome! Could be kind of broken though, when Damon finds out that Klaus saved Connor.
      And yes and Amen to making Phoebe Tonkin a regular! Hayley seems like a cool new character, something the show could definitely benefit from and Phoebe is a great actress.

Comment by jules – October 26, 2012 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • first make claire holt a regular, then phoebe.

Comment by luli – October 27, 2012 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG that motorcycle scene! It was worse than I could have imagined. It looked like some cheesy 1950s bicycle ride or something. I half expected “Singing in the Rain” to be playing. It was the lamest thing ever. I was totally holding out for Elena to be knocked off by a tree branch or something.

Comment by Sara – October 26, 2012 05:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Or impaled. That would have been my preference.

Don’t get me wrong. I love Stefan and I love Damon. I just don’t love Elena. And I’m sorry, but I really don’t care about her journey on being a vampire, especially when Damon was ready to stake Caroline but not willing to stake Elena. I know, I know, he’s in love with her but…I want him and Stefan both free of her.

Comment by Jessica Desrocher – October 27, 2012 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Things I loved about this episode:
    The Damon/Elena scenes
    The Damon/Klaus scenes
    The Stefan/Caroline scenes

Also, I couldn’t tell if Hayley was supposed to be Australian or American. In her first scene with Tyler, she sounded like she had her accent, but when she was talking with Klaus, she didn’t, was I think only one who was confused about that, or was I hearing things, or what?

Comment by Tracie – October 26, 2012 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL I heard the accent thing too. I kinda like Tyler this season, Michael Trevino surprised me with how he pulled Klaus off. I don’t like Tyler and Caroline tough. Kinda think they are a little cliche teen thing(jock and a blonde cheerleader) even tough they are a vamp and a hybrid. I think Stelena scenes were bad and so contrived and it’s telling that Stefan is more capable of honesty and connection when talking to Caroline then his own girlfriend. BTW I don’t think Stefan has had anything to do with how good of a vampire Caroline is think it’s because she likes being a vampire. With that said I like Stefan-Caroline friendship.
      I love Damon/Elena interaction because Nina and Ian both have this talent to act with body language that I personally don’t see with Paul. In their scenes you can glean what they are feeling even if you turn off the sound and cover their faces. I liked all Damon scenes and Klaus/Damon cooperation. And I especially liked Jeremy/Damon little moment and implied interaction.

Comment by Rea – October 27, 2012 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • hahahaha it’s that phobe has never been that good with an american accents… that is why you heard different kind of accents

Comment by luli – October 27, 2012 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked this episode, I reali wana see how stephen handles his ripper side..! And I so wana see how demon helps elena..! I miss for kol! And what’s going on with matt why is he still in the series?

Comment by amien – October 27, 2012 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it was a great episode, but Elena should start acting a bit like Kathrine, and what is up with the the whole “great evil” thing, and could Jeremy be one of the five because he can see the tattoo…and where the hell is bonnie we need a witch in vampire diaires

Comment by Dipesh – October 28, 2012 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well I Would Like Too See More If Stefan/Caroline
    And Stefan And Elena Needa Get It Toqether The Problem.Is That Stefan Is Too Careful He Needs To Let Loose For At Least One Episode He Needs To Become The Riper Aqain And Elena Needs To Join Him Then Mayb There Relationship Wouldnt Be So Borin But I Still Love Stefan/Elena .
    It Needs To Be Like This
    Stefan/Elena
    Damon/Rebekah
    Tyler/Phoebe Tonkins
    Caroline\Klaus
    And They Need To Brinq Bacc Katherine Cause She Wass Fun ! and Where The Hell Is Bonnie ! And Jeremy Idk Bout Hes Juss Annoyin To Me . Btw I Love The Whole Stefan&&Caroline Friendship !

Comment by Nyny15 – October 29, 2012 07:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post