Ratings: Chicago Fire Warms Up, Supernatural Slips, World Series Gives Fox Wednesday Win

Get More: Ratings, Sports

Chicago FireChicago Fire won’t be extinguished so quickly. NBC’s freshman drama this Wednesday drew 6.3 million total viewers while scoring a 1.8 demo rating, up 8 and 20 percent week-to-week and coming within a tenth of its premiere rating.

NBC notes that ChiFi is the first new drama of this season to come within a tenth of its premiere rating, which is a fascinatingly granular yet not so easily dismissed piece of data.

The night’s other big gain was enjoyed by the 300th episode of Law & Order: SVU (6.7 mil/1.8), which rose 7 and 13 percent.

Wednesday’s steepest drop was sustained by Supernatural, down 11 and 30 percent to 1.9 mil/0.7.

Fox’s coverage of Game 1 of the World Series powered the network to nightly wins in both total audience and the 18-49 demo. (Meaningful numbers on the live telecast have yet to come in, but at first blush I believe they look on the low side, historically.)

Going hour by hour….

8 pm | Placing second behind WS coverage, Survivor (10.1 mil/2.8) was steady. ABC’s The Middle (8.6 mil/2.5) was flat, while The Neighbors (6.9 mil/2.0) rose a few percentage points to match or hit time slot highs. NBC’s Animal Practice (3.8 mil/1.2) ticked up a tenth, while Guys With Kids (3.83 mil/1.3) lost a tenth. The CW’s Arrow (3.5 mil/1.1) was steady in audience but down 15 percent in the demo.

RELATED | First Look Poster: Arrow Sets His Sights on November Sweeps

9 pm | Modern Family (12.5 mil/4.9) was the night’s most watched and highest-rated program, up a few percentage points week-to-week; Suburgatory was flat at 7.5 mil/2.7. Criminal Minds (11.5 mil/3.0) dipped a tenth but sure raised this fella’s curiosity about Reid’s mystery lady. She proved quite the handy resource!

10 pm | CSI topped its ABC and NBC rivals in total audience (with 9.8 mil) and in the demo (up a tenth to 2.4). Nashville placed second ahead of Chicago Fire by holding rock-steady at 6.6 mil/2.0.

What were you tuned into this Wednesday?

Tags:

Comments (46)

• Not exactly ratings related, but was anyone else a little skeeved out by seeing two very young girls singing “You left your secret in my bed, in my bed” on Nashville? The audience was cheering, but I have to think that in the real world, some parents would have had an issue with that.

Comment by Drew – October 25, 2012 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, since they covered this song (Originally by Juliette) I don’t think it was a big deal.. But I can see where you are coming from…

Comment by Hilla Osovsky – October 25, 2012 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was a little skeeved out by that. But since it was a hit song I could see tweens singing it in a talent show.

Comment by MoxieSue – October 25, 2012 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My 5-year daughter is singing that new One Direction song endless … the one that says something like “tonight we’re going to get some and live like we’re dying young” or something like that. I just ignore. If you make a big deal of it, then they only sing it more.

Comment by Sandra Oh (@TheRealSandraOh) – October 25, 2012 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I can see that. The girls did a good job with it. I just think that it was an odd choice for the writers to have them sing it, but even weirder that their parents weren’t put off by it. I would have liked to see their mother get a little upset by it.

Comment by Drew – October 25, 2012 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • How about if you don’t let them listen to that kind of music??

Comment by Gigi – October 27, 2012 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, it didn’t bother me simply because they didn’t understand it; although, their Mom (Juliette) should’ve been and put a stop to it! Just a show!

Comment by Karrie – October 25, 2012 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was the least anticipated episode in a long time since it didn’t feature the brothers in the main plot. No wonder the ratings plummeted. But have to say, the episode was way better than most found-footage movies. The hook was enticing.
    And woah Arrow did something that I thought wouldn’t happen for atleast a couple more episodes. Awesome show. Both these shows deserve higher ratings.

Comment by John – October 25, 2012 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For me Arrrow is one of the best new shows! I love it!
    I also love Chicago Fire, still not sure about Nashville.

Comment by sarah – October 25, 2012 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That was the worst episode of Supernatural

Comment by Ant – October 25, 2012 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, season 7′s Becky episode was.
      Get your priorities straight. That was a good episode which was better than tons of shaky cam horror movies. If this were marketed as PA, it’d have already earned more than the present PA movie.

Comment by POIfanatic – October 25, 2012 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you! I’ve never fast forwarded through an episode before but last night I simply had to. It was so incredibly bad.

Comment by Jamie – October 25, 2012 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. The chemistry between is the brothers. The story was interesting but not up to the standards.

Comment by Brigitte – October 25, 2012 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I was honestly bored to death by it (no pun intended, I promise). I found the characters extremely bland and unlikable, and the whole “Found Footage” thing is totally overused. I kept waiting for Sam and Dean to come on the scene (oh hey I rhymed!).

My only thought was that maybe they had this episode the way it was because they were busy filming other (presumably better) episodes. I respect what the creators were trying to do by shaking up the formula, and the hook was intriguing, I just didn’t love this episode all that much.

As it stands this one is the absolute definition of a filler episode. While the plot may have been at least slightly interesting I felt like I could have skipped this episode and not missed a single thing.

Oh, and it looks like I’m gonna have to start watching Arrow, I’ve got it on my DVR, I just haven’t gotten around to it yet.

Comment by Jake – October 25, 2012 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, CSI’s ratings on Wednesday are SO close to CSI:NY on a FRIDAY! It’s been 9.4 and 9.1 with a 1.4/1.2 demo for the past two weeks! I’m very happy/hopeful for NY! <3

Comment by Barbie Furtado – October 25, 2012 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Arrow is amazing! Fall’s best new show for me. I also like Chicago Fire and watched it instead of Nashville. I’m sorry I wanted to like the show I just don’t think it’s that great and it certainly doesn’t live up to early praises it got from the press.

Comment by Daniela – October 25, 2012 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY for Chicago Fire. It’s developing some really nice story lines. I’m still struggling with Nashville. Last night I was bored to death.

Comment by wrstlgirl – October 25, 2012 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chicago Fire was awesome last night! Jesse Spencer is such a great actor! Can’t wait to see what happens next week :)

Comment by sara econ (@sara_econ) – October 25, 2012 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, Sara. CHICAGO FIRE was AWESOME this week and Jesse did an AMAZING job. The show is only going to get better as the season goes on. I also am glad that CSI:N.Y. did well in the ratings. A quality show that gets little notice. Gary Sinise and Sela Ward are the best!!

Comment by Gigi – October 27, 2012 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved the latest episode of Supernatural, but for casual viewers it probably wasn’t as interesting. Next week’s episode look amazing though. We see Benny again in the present, plus more Purgatory flashbacks (this time with Cas), and Sam and Benny meet!

Comment by Mikaylah – October 25, 2012 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • BLOOD BROTHERS! Can’t wait! Looks so awesome!

Comment by John – October 25, 2012 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I just hope that they are going to do a “fun” episode next week. THey have always done some really funny stuff for Halloween, except for last year and I was really disappointed.

Comment by Brigitte – October 25, 2012 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Unfortunately, next week’s SUPERNATURAL is getting pre-empted in the NYC area, because The CW has opted to cover the stupid Halloween Parade instead. I’m mad enough to spit nails.

Comment by WayneInNYC – October 25, 2012 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Put RICHARD SPEIGHT JR. back on SPN and watch the ratings go UP!!

Comment by Gigi – October 27, 2012 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s a bummer about Supernatural’s ratings. I thought the episode was a refreshing change and I loved that the writers weren’t afraid to shake things up after eight seasons instead of going through the motions. I wonder if the world series didn’t have an impact however since the demo was down (although not as sharply) for Arrow too.

I wish fans of Supernatural would be a little bit more open-minded though when it comes to episodes that don’t focus solely on the brothers. After eight seasons, the same old formula starts to get tired pretty fast. People had no problems with an expanding cast in season two but beginning the following year, they’ve seemed obsessively defensive against any other reoccuring characters ever since. The only exceptions have been Castiel (who still has his fair share of vocal detractors,) Crowley and to a far-lesser extent, Ruby. I don’t quite understand the desire or need for the boys to be the only main characters allowed to take up the majority of screen time.

Comment by Marc – October 25, 2012 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you completely.

Comment by wrstlgirl – October 25, 2012 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • To be honest I’m finding this season a complete downer because of the lack of a B cast. The whole reason I like Supernatural is because it’s not just horror it’s FUNNY. I laugh hysterically at some of the episodes. Weekend at Bobby’s is one of my favorite episodes in the whole series and I laughed almost from beginning to end. I think the problem is that they’ve killed everyone the boys actually knew. Ash, Ellen, Jo, Bobby, their dad, Rufus, Gordon, Frank….etc. All the people who would shake up the melodrama and the seriousness and help the boys not get so carried away in it are gone. This season has just been dragging for me because it’s all high drama and angst so far. Lighten up for goodness sakes. That irreverent light humor is what made this show so great and so different from every other horror/monster show out there. The episodes with Death and Lucifer were amazing because it was so serious that Dean and Sam were overwhelmed and fell back on their snarky humor to keep them from losing it.

Comment by Lauren Kirsch – October 25, 2012 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Supernatural” obviously slipped because the episode hardly featured Dean and Sam. I didn’t care enough about those college kids, and I just kept waiting for the Winchesters to pop up. I can’t wait for next week’s episode.

Comment by Carrie – October 25, 2012 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As much as I love the brothers, Jensen and Jared deserve some time off once and a while. Being in nearly every scene in every episode is a lot of work. I would love them to have more B-character stories so they can get a break.

Comment by Mikaylah – October 25, 2012 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes, well, they made that difficult by killing everyone who was important enough to the show to have a stand alone episode without the boys in it.

Comment by Lauren Kirsch – October 25, 2012 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Of course it could have also slipped because the target demo might be baseball fans and were watching the World Series.

Comment by Jack – October 25, 2012 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really enjoyed Supernatural. It was a nice change. I, too, thought it was better the movies with the same format. Arrow was really good. I loved the reveal at the end. The bodyguard had to catch what was going on sooner than everyone else. Chigaco Fire is somthing I look forward to. I just hope NBC doesn’t cancel it. I’m guessing the one guy won’t have his surgery until the end of the season. Okay, gotta get back to work.

Comment by tp – October 25, 2012 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They need to change Nashville’s time slot. Its the only real shot it has. I sort of like it (I hit mute during all the music, I despise country music), but I much prefer both shows on the other networks i9n that time slot…..CSI and Chicago Fire.

Comment by intelliwoman – October 25, 2012 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How many viewers did AHS lose if the 10 pm shows rebounded some AHS must have lost some

Comment by Joe – October 25, 2012 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really want to love Nashville but I really only tolerate it. I may have to see if I can find the Chicago Fire episodes and try that one.

Love the new storyline with Reid and the mystery chick! I hate that it sounds like she’s in an abusive marriage or something but I guess it’s too much to ask for normal on Criminal Minds. Love that she’s a match (or close) in intelligence. Those writers are twisted b/c after all these seasons, they still come up with creepy murders! My FAVORITE show period!

Comment by GS – October 25, 2012 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nashville is getting soapier with every episode. Too many of the roles are more caricatures than believable three-dimensional characters. I had high hopes for this series before the season started, but it’s not coming even remotely close to meeting my expectations.

Comment by Larc – October 25, 2012 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m just glad that Arrow is steady and doing better. This ep was slightly over the place but next week will be better.

Comment by shuayb – October 25, 2012 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • arrow best new show

still not bad in ratings. deserve more.

Comment by Cody – October 25, 2012 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Arrow was great, loved the twist at the end. I’m so happy for Chicago Fire! Each episode gets better and better and last night really showed intense and brotherhood. I’m sad for supernatural but I know it’ll bounce back. I haven’t seen the epi so I can’t comment on it.

Comment by Isabelle – October 25, 2012 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Supernatural, But didn’t enjoy this episode at all. If I wasn’t a big fan of Supernatural I would of turned it off. Wasn’t enough Sam or Dean. The show took two much of a risk and you can see that by the ratings. Was too much of a risk. Looking forward to next weeks episode. Anyways that is just my opinion , I have already seen people say they enjoyed it.

Comment by Render – October 25, 2012 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just wanted to say, I enjoyed the Supernatural episode. It was way better than the auction episode, and beat any Leviathan story by far. I don’t mind changing the format every once in a while at all. They could do an episode without the Winchesters at all and I’d be fine if it was a good story, which this one was.

Comment by Drew – October 25, 2012 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Arrow and I am happy for it’s success, Ilike nashville too but I think it needs a new time slot, so far the only show that could handle that timeslot was Revenge, I think Nashville should be moved to sundays after Revenge and put 666 Park Ave. on Wed. and if not nashville then I think Scandal should be moved to sundays, I think either show could do great after revenge.

Comment by fernando rodriguez (@Fernanaberry) – October 25, 2012 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I haven’t seen Chicago fire. Is it good because of the picture Mr. Mitovich has on top? I hope not. I really like Nashville. I do like the music and it is a little soapy but so what. Not sure I understand some of the comments. TV needs some of these shows to succeed or we keep getting more DWTS, X Factor, Bachelor(ette), etc.

Comment by Boiler – October 25, 2012 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Boiler, CHICAGO FIRE is so good because of the writing and the acting. TOP NOTCH!! JESSE SPENCER is perfect in the leading role and each episode seems to get better. The story line right now is INTENSE! The men do NOT go around with their shirts off. TRY IT, You’ll LOVE IT!
      Also, SUPERNATURAL needs to bring Gabriel, aka The Trickster BACK TO THE SHOW. Then you would see the ratings light up!

Comment by Gigi – October 27, 2012 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chicago Fire is the best new show on TV. Jesse Spencer is fantastic as a leading man. The show gets better every week.

Comment by Andie – October 25, 2012 06:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love that Arrow is staying consistent in the ratings. The show keeps getting better. I do like Supernatural, but it’s getting old. I wish CW would put Nikita on Wednesdays after Arrow.

Comment by Mikael – October 26, 2012 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post