Exclusive

First Look Poster: Arrow Sets His Sights on November Sweeps

To commemorate Arrow‘s maiden flight into the November sweeps ratings period (which runs today through Wednesday, Nov. 21), the CW action-drama has let loose with a special poster carrying a warning to those who might land on Oliver Queen’s list.

RELATED | The CW’s Arrow Scores a Full-Season Order

Arrow‘s line-up of sweeps episodes kicks off next Wednesday at 8/7c with quite the tightrope walk, when Oliver — as his hooded alter ego — asks lady love Laurel to help prove a death row inmate’s innocence. (Let’s hope he stopped off at Party City for one of those cool voice-changer gadgets.)

PHOTOS | Arrow Hot Shots: Enter Deathstroke — and John Barrowman’s ‘Well-Dressed Man’!

Check out Arrow‘s November sweeps poster, then scroll down for more preview.

Arrow’s sweeps action continues Nov. 7 when Detective Lance (Paul Blackthorne) arrests Oliver for murder, while DC Comics big bad Deathstroke (Jeffrey Robinson) appears in a flashback to the island. Then on Nov. 14, a gang of bank robbers dubbed “The Royal Flush Gang threaten Starling City, forcing Oliver to consider straying from his father’s list.

How do you rate Arrow‘s run thus far? How does it rate in the pantheon of CW dramas?

1. The way this show went so fast from rumor to development to finished product makes me wonder why the other shows that the CW has been rumored to develop based on characters from DC Comics (like Raven, Starman, Sandman, etc) never came to fruition.

2. Justin says:

I watched last night’s episode, and while I’m not up on DC lore so didn’t pay special attention to who she was, I’m pretty sure Felicity Smoak (Rickards) made her debut last night.

3. Spike says:

i honestly dont understand why the CW always has to ruin their promo posters with items that look obviously photoshopped and dont fit into the picture at all. horrible work, talk about trying to fit too many details in one picture

4. Hmm. says:

God bless Stephen Amell’s face.

5. S says:

I don’t know about this show yet. There is something about it that is trying too hard. That is the best way I can describe it, it is just trying to hard. I think they have all the right pieces in look and story line, but the acting is strained. STEPHEN AMELL is a really good looking guy and athletic as can be…but if he is trying to be Christian Bale in Batman he really should stop and should start being himself acting as Oliver Queen.

• consider it a joke. in the comics Green Arrow modeled himself after Batman. Arrowcave, Arrowcar, sidekick, etc.

• S says:

Ok. I get that. But then you have to ask…Isn’t it bad for your show to be considered a joke in any way? Either do it and make it obvious or don’t do it and make it be its own statement. He (nor the show) look like they are emulating Batman, but rather a good actor’s style in acting the part…The problem is that a lessor actor acting like a good actor acting as “Batman” in order to act as “the Arrow” becomes just about as convoluted as trying to read this sentence.
        If he is going to act like Batman…Act like Batman…not Bale.

• S says:

I should probably say that I am aware that the story line does match with Batman and yes, I am also aware that the show and CW are trying to match the intensity of the latest Batman movies. However that is not what I am talking about in any of my comments. I am directing my comments at the acting. You either have to go all the way in one direction or the other…or like you said, people should “consider it a joke”

• I think that the style has more to do with how to realistically transfer a comic book hero to the real world and less to do with imitating Batman. Changing ones’ voice, for instance, helps with the whole secret identity thing so that people who the hero meets in both of his identies don’t connect one with the other.

• S says:

It isn’t his back and forth from his superhero alter ego to Oliver Queen. It is his acting in general. His intensity could easily be mistaken for other far more mundane causes than his angst of having another life and a hero complex. He just seems stiff. His body language is not portraying “I am a man who is trying to save this city and protect this family life I just got back” it is portraying “I am an actor that thinks this is how a guy would act…” It is a TV show and you can’t always as for a lot, but he just needs to relax in the role some.

• Gem says:

Honestly I am slightly confused by your comments. You seem to be a fan of Christopher Nolan’s Batman by your comments but do you get the difference between Arrow and Batman? This show is about a guy who just spent 5 years on an island, mostly alone, shooting enemies/food with a bow and arrow who now has to completely reintegrate himself into city life in a capitalist society. Although he does seem serious you seem to be putting a lot of energy into every detail of the actors moments instead of the story and why he would be so serious implying that it is not intentional but somehow a fault of the actors. If you dislike the show than don’t watch it but I think since we’ve only gotten to the 3rd episode of the season perhaps it would be helpful to relax and watch the actors settle into their new roles before judging them quite so harshly.

• John says:

That’s the reason why Arnell is perfect! 5 years living outside a civilized world where you have to fight for your life day in and day out would make someone a little ‘stiff’ and he does that extremely well. Except for the voiceovers, I have no qualms about this great show.

• S says:

Gem, I do get the difference in the stories. I never even mentioned that I was a fan of Nolan’s Batman, I commented and focused all of my comments not on the story of Batman but on the actor who portrays Batman in those movies.
            I stand by my first comment that AMELL could be very good in this role if he would only stop emulating someone else’s acting style and allowed himself to play the role as HE would play it. Gem, I get that his character would be serious. But in some parts of the last show it looked like he had an upset stomach more than being stressed over his life.
            I never said I did not like the show. I said I was uncertain because it seemed to be trying too hard. However, I appreciate your comment and your view. Sorry if I seemed at all wishy washy or confusing in explaining what I meant.

6. POIFanatic says:

Love this show!

7. Jack says:

They need to get rid of that redundant voiceover in the show. It’s so annoying. Are CW audiences that dumb they can’t “get” what’s happening on this show without having the lead walk them through it plot by plot? All the voiceover does is repeat what’s already happening visually.

• voice overs like these are done for the benefit of people who aren’t watching week to week. they usually vanish in the back nine or the second season because, by then, the numbers reflect the people who are watching week to week and, therefore, don’t need voice overs to get them caught up.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Mr. Sacal here nailed it; no one ever went broke underestimating the attention span of today’s TV viewer.

8. Dan says:

My problem is that so far I haven’t seen one thing that I haven’t seen in 100 other shows like this. I’m going to give the show the full season, but so far I don’t see anything that sets it apart from any other superhero or quasi-superhero show.

• Tom says:

I think that’s my problem with it as well, it’s not necessarily a bad show, it’s just nothing new or all that creative

• Katie Hart says:

The big thing is that there aren’t 100 other shows like this. After a superhero-filled summer, there isn’t much for people to watch in that genre this fall. And most attempts (whether failed or successful) to bring superheroes to TV involve superpowers, so I think setting Arrow in a world without them already sets it apart.

9. sarah says:

This show is so great!

10. Ryan says:

Arrow and Supernatural combination is great. Weds is always the weakest night of TV for me, but these shows are starting to change that. If only Revenge was still on at 10…

11. Melissa says:

I love the show. I am curious if they are going to continue true to the comic books or if they are going to take more liberties. Especially where Diana is concerned. It would be cool if Black Canary made her appearance in this show (not necessarily right away though).
    I look forward to Wednesday nights for this show. Hope CW does more with DC, it would be great! I am actually surprised at how many shows I watch on that channel now (TVD).

• Jon says:

I don’t really know the comics but it seems like they’re gonna take some liberties but for the most part remain loyal to the comics for the most part probably. Also they’ve mentioned before that Dinah Laurel Lance will eventually become Black Canary.

12. Leo says:

I’m really liking the series so far. My only problem with it is the side story of the younger sister. I know it’s The CW and they want to have some character for teen girls to relate to but the show really does not need that, it feels so out of place and takes time from developing more interesting relationships between other characters.

13. mia says:

Loving it so far…have no real quamns that won’t get resolved with time as the actors/writers get comfortable. Katie Cassidy is doing a great job so far, so I wouldn’t mind seeing her do a bit more (looking forward to when she’s all Canary).
    And keeping those workout montages is a good idea. :P

14. Kevin W. says:

Really enjoying this show! Also, Felicity Smoak is just a DC Comics character who was really good at computers i believe, nothing fancy.

15. Kevin W. says:

In the same way that John Diggle is named after Andy Diggle the comic writer who wrote the comic, “Green Arrow: Year One” which is something the show is clearly based on.

16. Danielle says:

I love this show. I can’t get enough of it. More shirtless Ollie climbing ropes and such. Mmm.