Fox Unveils Midseason Game Plan, Sets Dates For American Idol, Touch and The Following

Fox has released its midseason schedule, and it details the premiere dates and time slots for the new Kevin Bacon-fronted serial killer thriller The Following, Season 12 of American Idol and Season 2 of Kiefer Sutherland’s Touch.

First up, American Idol — featuring a retooled judging panel that now includes Mariah Carey, Nicki Minaj and Keith Urban (as well as, yawn, Randy Jackson) — will launch with with a two-night debut on Wednesday, Jan. 16 (8-10 pm) and Thursday, Jan. 17 (8-9 pm).

RELATED | American Idol‘s Mariah Vs. Nicki Feud: Will It Destroy the Show?

Touch, which was originally slated to return this fall, will take over Fringe‘s Friday-at-9 perch on Feb. 1. (Fringe will wrap its 13-episode final season in January.)

Lastly, The Following — starring Bacon as an FBI agent hunting down a serial killer (played by James Purefoy) — launches on Monday, Jan. 21 at 9/8c, presumably replacing the struggling Mob Doctor.

RELATED | Touch Stages 24 Reunion!

An airdate for new comedy The Goodwin Games will be announced at a later date.

Scroll down for an exclusive first look at Touch‘s Season 2 key art, which trumpets the full-time addition of Maria Bello.

1. Carrie says:

The only one I care about is The Following. Can’t wait for that to start!

2. Pele says:

C’mon, can’t they set a finale date for Fringe already? Some of us would like to make plans…

• Mike says:

This is just my educated guess, but considering Touch is premiering February 1st in Fringe’s slot, it would make sense that Fringe would wrap up its run on January 25th.

3. Snsetblaze says:

I did not watch touch but I love Maria Bello. I may have to look it up.

4. DL says:

Even though I found Touch to be quite moving at times, I just couldn’t maintain interest in the show. However, with Maria Bello joining the cast, I might be tempted to give it another shot. Loved her in the short-lived Prime Suspect. Too bad that show never found its audience.
    Totally stoked for The Following. It and Elementary were probably my most anticipated new shows of the season.

5. Rain says:

Really looking forward to The Following! Unfortunately Touch fell off my DVR, when I realized I had the last 2 episodes of last season still on there unwatched a few weeks ago I decided it should be deleted. I watch too much tv as it is!

6. Patricia says:

Really looking forward to the following too, it looks really good

7. Kyle says:

I was hoping that The Following would air after American Idol. Not sure if it can boost Fox’s Monday ratings.

8. King says:

James Purefoy… yum!

9. Jake says:

im guessing the goodwin games will be replacing Ben & Kate since all other Fox comedies have 24 episode orders and should air till the end of the may.

10. ElsieM says:

I hope they’ll try moving The Mob Doctor before they cancel. It’s a good show, just in a bad timeslot.

• FragglesRock says:

I agree, I’m enjoying The Mob Doctor as well. I think Monday Night Football & Thursday Night Football are killing the ratings on those nights. It’s easier to DVR the shows cause the games don’t usually end on time so you could easily miss the final minutes. Would be nice if the networks waited till after football season to give some of the new shows a fighting chance.

• RockGolf says:

Move it where? Tuesday is comedy nightand they ain’t moving New Girl. Wednesday & Thursday are X Factor / Idol. Friday & Saturday are the dead zone of ratings. Sunday is all animation.

• MGL says:

I like Mob Doctor also. I thought it was one of the better new shows. I like most of the actors too. I agree it should be moved. Too much on Mondays already with sports and DWTS.

• Chris says:

The show stinks, and the ratings reflect that.

• Elyse says:

i tried Mob Doctor but i just couldn’t get into it!

11. Joe says:

Let me see fox didn’t want touch on fri at 8 but fri a 9 is better?

12. Jo says:

Fox is about to learn that their Friday ratings can indeed get worse.

13. madbengalsfan85 says:

The Following means I’ll have a reason to stick around after Bones

14. Templar says:

Big fan of Kevin bacon, so am looking forward to The Following. I’ve watched every season of Idol, but due to the voting policy and the new panel, I’ll be skipping it this time around.

15. Alex says:

I’m surprised they’re not going to try to use American Idol to launch The Following. It’s gotten a lot of buzz, and I think they’d want to give it the best chance possible…

16. Looking forward to seeing Kevin Bacon Always enjoy his work. Hope his series is a success for him.

17. leah says:

I’m still mad they gave touch another season but not Alcatraz. I watched both but got really bored with touch. Alcatraz got really good.

18. Allyson says:

Won’t be watching American Idol again till they changing the voting system. I can tell you right now, a white guy with a guitar wins the show.

19. GingerSnap says:

This is a big yawn for me. Won’t be watching any of them.

20. Eric says:

I am totally giving up American Idol this year. Last year was so boring and, despite watching every episode because I was in the habit of doing so, can’t even remember who won. It rarely turns into the American dream for the contestants and the formula is, frankly, old and tiresome. I am not watching x-fator either for the same reasons.

21. Barbara says:

As long as Bones is on again, the rest doesn’t matter!

22. nep says:

i totally agree to the thought of reconsidering The Mob Doctor…I really like the plot and the drama of the story…too bad few people notice its unique story… i’m really tired of those medical dramas mimicing Grey’s Anatomy, it is so cliché…havong said that, I think they should put The Mob Doctor to a better time slot to attract more audience and allow them to discover that it has an interesting story to tell. As for Touch, i kinda like this show at first i dont know i lost the drive of watching it, however, i still do think its a good show. I hate AI, and yes its because of there voting system, unless they will change that, the show will gain ita credibility. By the way, im excited for The Following.

• Elyse says:

a lot of people tried watching Mob Doctor but just didn’t like it. i liked the idea for the plot but the show is just bad…

23. Amy says:

I am very disappointed that Fox made this last minute change to brining Touch back. I was SO looking forward to watching Touch tonight, and now we have to wait until February 1st. Boo on Fox!!!

24. Dee says:

Like Mob Dr & a different time slot or any other night might help. The Following looks good cant can’t wait to see it. Also Revolution is very good.