The Voice Recap: They Don't Really Want to Go, Oh [Updated]

adriana louiseThe early bird gets the worm, but on The Voice, he also uses up his Battle Round steals so early, he’s left going “D’oh!” when a talented vocalist gets rejected without a lifeline late in the game. The not-so-early bird, however, who’s not opposed to wearing terrifying Bret Michaels drag to rehearsals, takes the last wriggling straggler left in the competition — in this case a former backup singer for Lady Gaga whose melody choices were occasionally as scary as a week-old “meat dress.”

And thus, while The Steal provided a huge upgrade to The Voice‘s third season, I can’t help but wonder if for Season 4, all Battle Round rejects should be placed in a holding pen backstage, only to get brought out for the coaches’ selection after the final duet showdown. Sure, such a move would take away some of the post-performance suspense from individual Battle Rounds telecasts, but it would also help ensure the 20 best vocalists advance to the live shows. And if that happens, doesn’t everyone (especially the viewing audience) win?

While you ponder that question, let’s break down each individual battle — ranked from least- to most-promising winner:

Team Cee Lo: Avery Wilson defeats Chevonne (Chevonne stolen by Christina Aguilera) | Don’t get me wrong: I understand intellectually that Avery has a big, powerful voice and plenty of charisma, but the kid uses a sledgehammer when all that’s required is a nail file. There were six or seven instances on “Titanium” where Avery began to soar on a glory note, only to muddy it up with excessive vibrato. If he’s going to be a real contender in the competition, Cee Lo needs to teach him to choose his spots a lot more judiciously. (The pirouette, meanwhile, was totally random, but pretty great. It was like Avery suddenly was overcome by the involuntary need to spin!) Chevonne, for her part, seemed to know she was outclassed vocally, and tried to compensate with bizarre tweaks to the melody and aggressive body language. Watching Xtina attempt to drum up enthusiasm as she was forced to use her “Steal” on the season’s final Battle Round evictee was about as comfortable as a Real Housewives reunion special.

Team Blake: Michaela Paige defeats Kelly Crapa | Blake said he was planning to give the win to whichever of his teen phenoms looked and sounded the most ready for primetime, and the second Michaela strutted over to her rival and cut her down with a well-placed side-eye, it was clear the Mohawk-sporting rocker chick would win the duet on “I Hate Myself for Loving You.” Michaela also seemed to heed more closely to Blake’s advice to respect the original melody, whereas Kelly (and her insane crimped hair) kept sliding into notes in ways that bordered on strident.

Team Xtina: Adriana Louise defeats Jordan Pruitt | I’m all for singers putting their own spin on a melody, but as with morning butter and late-night carbs, everything in moderation, right? But while Adriana and Jordan may have slightly overbaked Katy Perry’s “Hot N Cold,” it was at the instruction of their mentor, who spent the rehearsals demanding more ad libs and runs. Adriana, with her hot purple dress and robust growl, took more risks than the airier-voiced Jordan, and generally nailed ‘em, too. She’s got scads of raw talent, and paired with the right material and a little bit of restraint, she could turn out to be most likely to succeed on Team Xtina.

And with that, let me turn things over to you:

Who were your favorites from The Voice‘s sixth Battle Round episode of Season 3? Were there any decisions you found upsetting? Hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. DDB says:

Don’t get the hype for Avery? Are you kidding me??? The way he delivered his first solo “I am titanium” sent chills through my entire body.

• the real wendy says:

Avery FTW!

• Ruby says:

Right there with you on this. This kid has the goods. And I’ll never forget his first high note on “Without You” in the auditions. Absolutely gorgeous.

• Clifford Alverez says:

Yes. TOATS AGREE! Least promising winner – PSH! I still cannot believe he is 16 (I am actually waiting for some sort of story to come out about how he is actually a 26-year-old former child star). And (although she was good), I don’t understand the love for Adriana. I thought Jordan was a shoe-in. Me thinks Xtina has some beef with Disney folks.

2. DS says:

1) Your order is backwards! I’m a little flabbergasted. Come on Slezak! Avery was legit.

2) Any thoughts on how it sounds like the Knockout Round will basically be taking everything they fixed about the formerly crappy Battle Round and bringing it back to the show?

3. HelloBuzz! says:

Only 3 battles were shown tonight, I just don’t get why they couldn’t fit in one of those shortened ones from yesterday.

Tonight was pretty good but honestly by the time we get to the live shows I forgot who half the people are.

• Ruby says:

The Voice wastes a LOT of time. Here, let’s have a 25 minute recap of what just happened before we go to break, and then when we get back, we’ll have another 25 minute recap. Then we’ll spend 25 mins watching the contestants prepare, then we get 2 minutes of singing time, due to shortened songs, then we have to listen to each and every judge recap what they just heard, then we listen to their own coach talk about how proud he is of both of them (even if they sucked) and then we have a “cliffhanger” waiting to see who they’re going to choose as they go to break, then back from break they have another 25 minute recap, then the judge finally chooses. It’s sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long and boring. They could cut this show in half if they weren’t constantly recapping stuff, and I didn’t even include the recaps they do at the beginning and end of each show. Yeesh.

4. kcostell says:

If The Voice was about advancing the best vocalists to the live shows, they wouldn’t have the battle rounds in the first place.

But why focus on the singers when you can focus on the suspense?

5. Eric says:

Kelly deserved to be stolen over Chevonne. She didn’t wow me, but Chevonne was awful, as were both Adriana and Jordan.

Avery and Michaela were the only ones I really liked out of this batch – the latter in particular surprised me.

• Snsetblaze says:

Michaela was a surprise too because we saw about 5 seconds of her audition. I realized today that she reminded me of Pink – a very young Pink. Not the one we see now.

• JH says:

do we actually know that this was the last battle? they could have edited them out of order.

• teatime says:

It seemed like after all the other rounds Carson said the contestant was available to steal. So it seems like it was the lat round. And X-Tina still felt the need to justify why she was moved to use her last steal.

6. VCI says:

I feel like the only reason Christina used her steal is because it was the last battle and she had it left.

Still mad that no one saved Brandon last night, liked him way more than Chevonne.

And Slezak, with your love of DOMO and Melanie Martinez, it’s no wonder you don’t get the hype about Avery or Trevin.

• dan says:

Even Christina seemed unenthused over stealing Chevonne. I felt she only complimented her to save face, because she knew she had to save someone. It would have been better if she had been allowed to keep Jordan Pruitt. They could give them the option of saving both instead of using a steal.

• Snsetblaze says:

Or if someone failed to use a steal, to pick from those that lost.

• FreeHaley says:

Yeah I was going to say, is it actually in the rules that you can’t try to save one of your own? I was hoping and expecting a surprise and that she’d save her but instead she had to save Chevonne….

• Kristina says:

I felt it was editing and that Avery/Chevonne wasn’t really the last battle. At least that’s what I’m telling myself for no one saving Brandon on Monday because I loved his classic soul voice.

• brody says:

I agree….I’m pretty sure these battle rounds were not shown in chronological order and that the last one they showed did not GUARANTEE a “steal” by Christina. I’m pretty sure even from episode to episode, they didn’t take place as shown…ie. one of the battles shown in the first battle round episode, might have been one of the last ones to take place. I think it’s all edited into episodes once they are all done, just like the blind auditions. That’s why the have the judges wear the same outfits through the entire process.

• Clifford Alverez says:

Yeah, I’m pretty sure Adam said last season that everything is shown out of order (when he was talking about why Jamar Rogers only got Cee Lo to turn around, and that guy killed it!). I assume that it is the same for the battle rounds this season.

• Ruby says:

Domo. Ugh. I haven’t seen a contestant that annoying since American Idol’s “bikini girl”.

7. Cassidy Robinson says:

How could you not GET the amazing talent of Avery Wilson?! That VOICE! So good.

8. teatime says:

The Battle Rounds should have ended a week or two sooner than they did. The save made them fun and there were some good performances. But overall it dragged on for too long.

• Snsetblaze says:

Yes, Tuesday nights could have been a 2 hour show (one always feels too short) and then they could have finished last week (and probably showed the 6 or 8 battle rounds we did not see as well).

9. JoJo says:

Well, I’m with several other commenters Michael – CeeLo said it and I truly agree, Avery is a prodigy. Incredible range, depth, richness, performance ability, likability, and personal style. 16 y/o. IN-credible!

• JoJo says:

Oh…and P.S. – the hype I could not understand were for the two “pop superstars” that started off the night from team Christina. Also, Adriana winning? She was almost all screech to my ears.

I wonder if it’s just me or my television speakers, but it seems each time I hear rich, smooth tones from one (even when they are pushing the big notes), and hear screechy from another, the screechy one seems to get picked every time. Not just with The Voice either – X Factor and Idol too.

10. Samantha says:

Chevonne was AWFUL! She wasn’t even good in her audition but this was a wreck. If she makes it to the live rounds she won’t last long.

• FreeHaley says:

Yeah I think she and the guy who quit grad school were the weakest of all the saves and some definitely better ones got sent home, a bit frustrating. Even the woman who got stuck with the fast tempo Estefan song was not as impressive as some who went packing, even as fair as it maybe seemed to rescue her from that at the time.

11. Andrea says:

I know that Cee-lo would never sacrifice either Avery or Trevin, but I sort of wish I could have seen a battle with those two.

Christina makes some of the most bizarre talent choices for her team. Chevonne was awful. Wish she would have used her steal for Brandon the other night.

• Snsetblaze says:

He was the wrong sex. Most of her team is women. Most of her team was women last season and the season before if I recall correctly.

• Andrea says:

I know that at one point she said that she was cultivating a specific team. I’m all for girl power and wanting artists that are more within your wheelhouse (in Christina’s case, girls with big voices), but if Blake can catch a win with Jermaine, Christina shouldn’t be afraid of putting her money on a voice like Brandon’s.

• Owen says:

Yes, but she ultimately went with a guy. Who sang opera….

• FreeHaley says:

And came in a distant fourth in the finale. Thus I think she wanted to stick with what she knows, as she said.

• FreeHaley says:

It was pretty bad though to see her lose someone on her own team who was a lot better than the one she had to use the save on though….

12. Pat says:

AVERY IS AWESOME, SLEZAK!

Seriously though, he’s the first legitimate strong male pop voice ever on this show.

• Snsetblaze says:

I too liked him a lot and I don’t usually go for his type of singers. Sure, he might need to rein it in a bit at times but that comes with seasoning. My brother, who does not watch the show, was with me and was impressed by him.

• FreeHaley says:

Yeah he is pretty good. I’m not always a crazy fan of that sort of thing, but the kid has a LOT of talent.

13. Jack says:

Anyone else think we’re headed to another cookie-cutter R&B male power vocalist winner? Anybody? Anybody?

14. Steve says:

Looking forward to the knock out round, I think it is a great addition to the show. I like that the artists will be in control of song choice and arrangement.

I agree Jack, looks to be another male R&B winner.

15. FreeHaley says:

“The early bird gets the worm, but on The Voice, he also uses up his Battle Round steals so early, he’s left going “D’oh!” when a talented vocalist gets rejected without a lifeline late in the game. The not-so-early bird, however, who’s not opposed to wearing terrifying Bret Michaels drag to rehearsals, takes the last wriggling straggler left in the competition — in this case a former backup singer for Lady Gaga whose melody choices were occasionally as scary as a week-old “meat dress.” And thus, while The Steal provided a huge upgrade to The Voice‘s third season, I can’t help but wonder if for Season 4, all Battle Round rejects should be placed in a holding pen backstage, only to get brought out for the coaches’ selection after the final duet showdown.”

+1000
    Still can’t believe Blake wasted the first steal on that totally whatever guy who quit grad school and then didn’t have a steal for some of these late comers! And yeah I think Christina got a touch stuck with that last save there.

The save certainly helped the battle rounds not become a total annoying disaster, but they sort of need like an extra bonus 2 or 3 saves left for the very end to sop up a couple who got dumped who are better than many who stayed.

16. Aria says:

As usual, I would have picked all of the losers. Oh well.

17. regina says:

It’s naive to think that Chevonne’s Gaga connection had nothing to do with this steal. The Voice producers would want nothing more in this world than a coveted tweet from Gaga herself talking up the show to her vast fan base. At least the other judges were honest in saying that Avery ran away with this battle, and even Christina has enough self-respect to limit her forced praise to stage-presence, which is pretty patronizing for this show, rather than say anything about the vocal performance. Chevonne seems like a nice enough person, and she could use Christina’s coaching. But it’s hard to imagine that she’ll last long among that stable of divas. So it could get interesting in a cyncial way if there are questionable calls at the Knockout stage. I’m guessing that some of the iffy choices (Sylvia Jacoub) during the battles were to have more fodder handy to make sure the judges’ favorites and also someone like Chevonne make it to the live shows.

18. Slatty Whorinova says:

I felt bad for Kelly Crapa. Firstly because of her name and secondly because she deserved to be stolen over Chevonne.