Community Crisis: Chevy Chase Drops N-Word On Set, Production Halted as He Issues Apology

Get More: Controversy, News

Another controversy is rocking Community.

Multiple sources confirm to TVLine that Chevy Chase dropped the N-word on the set of the NBC comedy Friday afternoon in the presence of his African-American co-stars Yvette Nicole Brown and Donald Glover. According to an insider, the acting vet was struggling with his character’s dialogue and, in a moment of frustration, uttered the racial epithet.

The slur was not directed at Brown and Glover specifically, maintains another source close to the production, who adds that Chase has grown increasingly unhappy with the dark direction of his character, the bigoted Pierce Hawthorne. But it nonetheless caused enough of a stir to briefly interrupt production. Chase eventually summoned the cast and crew together to issue a formal apology.

An NBC spokesperson and reps for Chase declined to comment. Emails to Sony, which produces Community, were not returned.

This is the second Community-related controversy that Chase has found himself at the center of. At the end of last season, he was embroiled in a rather public showdown with series creator Dan Harmon, prompting many to wonder if Chase’s days at Greendale were numbered. Ultimately, it was Harmon who was ousted (but allegedly not due to his feud with Chase).

Coincidentally, the incident took place on the same day NBC originally planned to premiere the show’s fourth season. Earlier this month, the network announced that it was delaying the show’s return for scheduling reasons.

Comments (216)

• Oh just kill off pierce and send Chevy to a retirement home please.

Comment by tht19 – October 20, 2012 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL! Whenever they kill Pierce, it will be October 19th. XD

Comment by Sita – October 20, 2012 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • ^^^I want to vote for this reply on election day.

Comment by Drew – October 20, 2012 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • What’s the emoticon for giving a comment a standing ovation? Because that’s the emoticon I want to use right now. Sita, FTW!

Comment by Mark Kawakami (@skippykawakami) – October 22, 2012 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t know anyone that watches the show because of Chase. Everyone watches it IN SPITE OF Chase.

Comment by filmex2000 – October 20, 2012 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I could see how they thought “We need t o keep Chevy Chase around” in the very beginning but now the whole cast is a bigger deal then him…most fans don’t even like Chevy. I think it’s time they just take him away. The show could survive without him. The Greendale 7 could very well function as the Greendale six…Pierce has always been the odd man out who doesn’t spark with anyone.

Comment by advance – October 20, 2012 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Amen. Never liked him (it has always been easy to see hes what hes rumored to be). And a commenter on here once commented saying “its prolly hard for him being old, he has always been the part that Joel has, leading actor who is hilarious on purpose, now hes the old racist small character”. Kill him off, Pierce has been funny sometimes but his parts so small in episodes i could live without him easy.
          Also i dont get it….your characters direction is your characters direction…the writers and show runners etc, decide that. The whole character since the beginning has been a ignorant semi racist guy that hits on women who say “yuck” when he does. Its the character, they arent going to change the character of all of a sudden and have him be awesome and hot and hooking up with Annie and Britta and cracking awesome jokes. Know your place, you were big in like..the 80′s or something. Most community fans (like me, 24 y/o) dont even know you from any of your old movies/TV/comedy. If you didnt have community i doubt you would be on a TV show or in a movie.

Comment by M3rc Nate – October 21, 2012 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Wow, really, you’ve never seen one of his movies? None of the National Lampoons, Caddyshack, Invisible Man, nothing? I’m 25 and I’ve seen at least half a dozen of his movies. Though actually, I’ve probably seen more 80′s movies than 90′s and 00. What I get for having older siblings with extensive movie libraries I guess.

Comment by I must be an oddball. – October 22, 2012 03:40 AM PDT
          • What is” proly” ?

Comment by jujube – October 22, 2012 08:34 AM PDT
    • I’m sorry, Ausiello, but Nellie over at deadline.com either has a better source, or was able to give a better description of what happened. After reading her version of events, while I don’t agree with him using the word, I can understand his frustration over his characters direction. It does seem that his character should have more growth in his views after all this time, but he hasn’t. Believe me, I’m sick of the guy too – he bashes the show in the media a lot and obviously doesn’t want to be there anymore – but I think this time he might have been trying to give an example of something for impact and used poor judgement.

Comment by big cheddar – October 20, 2012 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh yes big cheddar because when people use a racial slur–it’s always for impact and poor judgement. You are aware it’s 2012 and not 1912 right? The man should be fired…just like ABC firing Isaiah Washington for saying f*aggot.

Comment by Antwon – October 20, 2012 09:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I honestly disagree. The word is definitely unacceptable, but the point he was trying to make is still valid. It sounds like the current writing for Pierce is not fitting with his character growth from the end of season 3, which is fair enough. Yeah, he should never have used the word, but you can’t compare the situation to Isaiah Washington being fired for actually using f…. as a derogatory term against another person.

Comment by RyanC – October 20, 2012 09:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • This agree all you want–that’s your right but it’s a fact that he offended people who witnessed him saying it to prove a point–hence his apology. You don’t take a word that was used to put people in their place and cut them off at the knees to make a point about a fictional character on a flipping TV show. Come on Ryan. There were dozens of other ways he could have expressed himself or used an example that didn’t include using a racial slur!

Comment by Antwon – October 20, 2012 10:24 PM PDT
          • Well. . . it is just a word . . . I use it often to describe ignorance . . . not color . . . and as long as the black people keep using it. . . then it really doesn’t have that bad of a stigma with it . . . now does it?? It is just something black people use to get attention and to pave the way for BS racial discrimination court cases. Ridiculous. . . I believe all Americans should be able to use the “N” word . . or any other word of their liking as they see fit . . . until . . . every black person stops using it to describe themselves. Double standards is the only explanation as to why it is acceptable for blacks to call each other this name . . quite often actually. . I mean everybody has seen it. . . blacks laughing and joking around . . calling each the word over and over. . . screaming it down the mall or the street. . . not taking any offense . . . until the white guy says something. Heck. . . any person of any color besides a black person can’t even say “you people” without blacks getting all stupid. Therefore the word isn’t that bad and should be used until the blacks stop its use. I mean come on people. . . this is just a word. . . there are much bigger issues to be concerned with and waste time on. Black people need to get with the times. . . . hold your head up . . . and move on! Give it up already! Nobody I knew or have known has ever owned slaves or have been discriminatory towards blacks. We do as most of the USA does. . . which is to sit back and watch how ridiculous things like this really are. Bigger problems need our attention, for example. . . . everybody should go out and VOTE next month!! The country is in shambles . . . people are starving. . . out of work . . . the president has portrayed us as a weak nation for the first time in the American history and is attempting to turn this nation into a communist nation. So lets forget about these petty little things like . . offensive words. . . and get our butts in gear and VOTE to save our country!! Or at least have educated discussions about incidents like this one with Chevy Chase. . . I mean how many people actually give a crap about what Chevy says?? Or any other actor or actress for that matter. Really!

Comment by DRSpleen – October 21, 2012 11:45 AM PDT
          • I totally agree with DR Spleen. Ni!!er is just a word that the blacks take advantage of… I believe in equal rights, but I also believe in freedom of speech unless it is slanderous! If I want to say the “N” word, I will say it! Too many N!!ers nowadays have Al Sharpton on speed-dial!

Comment by DR Liver – October 21, 2012 08:41 PM PDT
        • Believe me, as a woman of color, who has had this slur thrown at me more than once in my lifetime, I absolutely understand its impact. But I also understand what it’s like when you’re frustrated about something and, in the attempt to make a point, say something competely wrong. For example, I live in San Francisco and for the last 10 months we’ve been dealing with the case of our newly-elected sheriff being accused of domestic violence. Because of the nature of events surrounding his case, there’s been a lot of converstions about what constitutes DV. As someone who works with survivors, it’s been extremely frustrating time. Anyway, in a heated discussion with some fellow advocates about how frustrating this case was, I said something like, “I wish he’d just punched her in the face so that there would be no question it was DV!!!” The moment I said it, I realized that I had used a strikingly poor example to try to convey my point.

Comment by big cheddar – October 20, 2012 10:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • You’re right, in the heat of the mement we all say things we would normally never say. Everyone needs to get over this & move on!

Comment by Merilee01 – October 21, 2012 11:28 AM PDT
          • I totally disagree with u.the N word is unacceptable to use by any gender, race, or class especially in a professional setting.u guys are missing the context of the situation.if someone uses the n word in a mall even though it is totally wrong, the person would face harsher penalties in professional settings.the n word should not be used anywhere but who to blame.i say learning starts at home.

Comment by shawn – November 21, 2012 06:03 PM PDT
        • with a name like antwon of course you are black.

Comment by jim – October 21, 2012 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • And with a name like “Chevy” of course you are white!

Comment by Ryland – October 21, 2012 04:29 PM PDT
          • Antwon is actually a French name you dumb ass! I am not only Black–but I’m an educated Black man–your worst nightmare duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude.

Comment by Antwon – October 22, 2012 06:41 PM PDT
        • I definitely agree…as a matter of fact..that was my first thought of Isaiah…thanks for the post… He should be fired..but of course..he’s white and too big of an actor…they won’t fire him…are u kidding!!!!

Comment by Rosa – October 22, 2012 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • They won’t fire him because they’d still have to pay him, and that’s exactly what he wants.

Comment by Suzie – October 22, 2012 11:43 AM PDT
      • Chevy has always been frustrated with how they write his character. He doesn’t want to play the villain or the foil, he wants to play Fletch or Clark Griswold and be the star of the show. He is a huge freaking diva who wants the show to revolve around him. He needs to man up and be a professional and just play what is written to the best of his ability with a positive attitude. Cursing and using racial slurs and screaming that the show is not funny is a completely unprofessional way to act. He should just feel lucky he has a job and should try to do it well instead of always complaining about everything.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – October 22, 2012 05:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • it was a common swear word towards blacks when chevy was growiing up and it was just a slang term for about a hundred years before he was born.
      now we are mature enough to not use it and put a * after the first letter. another generation or two, the word will be so out of use that few will even know it. It just takes time.

Also the context of the word is important. It says the word wasn’t used towards a black person. so chase could have simply suggested sarcastically replacing another offensive word in the script with it. it could have gone something like this… “My character wouldn’t say that. he’s just say N***** instead. Oops! Sorry guys.”

he apologized at least twice apparently so give the guy a break.

Comment by c jones – October 21, 2012 12:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Since the word was created by the Europeans (the so-called whites). I don’t see why people of color should react to it. They know more about the “N” word because they are them.

Comment by Dr. JJCW – October 21, 2012 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • This is funny, Dr. JJCW

Comment by J Fuentes – October 23, 2012 03:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Definately a good idea. The guy is a loose cannon and I can’t imagine anyone on this show wants to work w/ him anymore. Talk about burning more bridges.

Comment by Whatevah – October 21, 2012 04:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Has anyone seen the “Saturday Night LIve” skit with Chevy Chase and Richard Pryor? Look at it and then think.

Comment by Axel – October 21, 2012 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeh ..Greendale retirement home.

Comment by Mustafa G. Goldstein Jr – October 21, 2012 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That show is a huge waste of time without Pierce.

Comment by Rich – October 21, 2012 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Chevy Chase is a liberal Democrat; it isn’t like he is some racist Republican.

Comment by Nadja – October 21, 2012 09:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Liberals are the most racist people I know once you get them behind closed doors. Remember Bill Clinton and Ted Kennedy taking about Obama?

Comment by Jen – October 22, 2012 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Racism is not exclusive to any political party.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – October 22, 2012 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously??? How much are they going to put up with from Chevy, he is not a god! NBC sacrificed Dan Harmon to keep him?!?!

Comment by Corinne – October 20, 2012 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I feel sorry for the cast. They all seem to get along EXCEPT for Chevy. After his first blow up fans made it perfectly clear they could do without him. He’s being completely rude and disrespectful to everyone around him and it’s not right!

Comment by Lena120 – October 20, 2012 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I completely agree with everything you said! I also think it is really time for him to go.

Comment by Corinne – October 20, 2012 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed. The rest of the cast has had to deal with so much drama this year with the show. This is just insane.
        Glad he apologized, but still, really stupid move, Chevy. For cripes’ sake, can we please get some GOOD news about this show again for once? I’m sick and tired of all the bad news surrounding it.

Comment by Angela – October 20, 2012 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I love Chevy! Spies like US. . . Modern Problems . . . Fletch!! National lampoons Vacation!! Priceless!! He is an actor . . . whoever gets offended by an actors words . . . needs to get a life!!

Comment by DRSpleen – October 21, 2012 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My thoughts exactly!!

Comment by Christy – October 20, 2012 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Regardless of reports that Chevy is hard to work with, Harmon was fired, according to himself, for being difficult to work with. Apparently NBC felt the same way, and if Chevy was as bad as people say, I doubt they’d have had second thoughts about firing him too.

Comment by Kristina – October 20, 2012 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Chevy Chase is a megastar with the capacity to bring in viewers on name alone, Dan Harmon was not. Chevy would be allowed much worse behavior before being dropped, plus plot-wise it would require a story to explain his absence- not so for Dan.

Comment by katherine – October 20, 2012 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Maybe in the beginning, but the show isn’t improving in the ratings despite his continued presence, so I hardly think that’s the case. And, since Pierce doesn’t have the biggest fan base, even from people who like Chevy, I don’t think they’d have to try all tht hard. They keep him because he’s part of the cast, not because of his name. Dan Harmon, however, the creator of the show and the voice and tone that so many vocal fans find compelling, was let go. All I’m saying is some of the drama and rumors surrounding Chevy Chase might be blown out of proportion or taken out of context.

Comment by Kristina – October 20, 2012 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • You should read the Saturday Night Live book. It is called Live from New York : an uncensored history of Saturday Night Live and I highly recommend it. Just read it and then decide what you think about Chevy from there. You may feel differently when you hear the way he treated some of the women who worked on the show. And he’s still doing it now, he hasn’t gotten any wiser with old age. He has said some horrible things to the female writers on Community.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – October 22, 2012 05:52 PM PDT
        • Chase might be (or has been..) a megastar in the USA. But that’s about it. There’s a reason most Chevy Chase movies go straight to DVD in other countries. No-one goes to them. I’d never heard of him until Community started.

Comment by Scott – October 20, 2012 06:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • is this 1983 Chevy was a Mega star

Comment by joe – October 21, 2012 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • UH, its been 3 years and the ratings are still dismal. I think it’s pretty safe to say that Chase will not be bringing in any viewers at this point.

Comment by Barb – October 21, 2012 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I dont know about anybody else, but I didnt start watching for Chevy Chase, I watched for Joel… I actually thought having Chevy one was a plus, but now (not including this incident, I dont care about it at all) it seems he’s more trouble than he’s worth. NBC sides with him all the time, ousting the shows creator for him… I think it’s time to let him go, bring back Dan Harmon, and remove Community from NBC and send it somewhere it can be appreciated. I think it would do well on a network like CBS or FOX… anything but NBC!

Comment by Nicole – October 22, 2012 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shooooooocking

Comment by mawhi – October 20, 2012 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He’s clearly trying to get fired from a tv show he no longer wants to be part of, get rid of him already. Ugh.

Comment by Ellie – October 20, 2012 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why don’t they kick him off already!! He’s my least favorite character!

Comment by POIfanatic – October 20, 2012 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who uses that word even in frustration? Bigots, that’s who. Chevy uses it regularly or it wouldn’t have slipped out. Used to like him. Now he should be fired.

Comment by annmac4223 – October 20, 2012 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know. That doesn’t make any sense!! Did he call the script the N-word? What is he doing over there? This is ridiculous. He needs to go!

Comment by Lena120 – October 20, 2012 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know right! it’s not part of my family’s vocabulary. The only time it’s been in the news lately is when racist famous people say it. Rap isn’t even featuring as much as they used to. I’ve been listening to the top 40 radio and it’s mostly pop music not rap with that language. Just get rid of Chevy he has disgraced himself enough. At one point in time he was part of great comedy influx but now he is just a washed up old man who has a lot of hate inside of him. What this showcases is that he doesn’t know the script. How can an actor not know the script? isn’t that part of his job? If I didn’t know the most basic fundamental part of my job, I would be fired. This also showcases how when business make bad decisions (aka fire Harmon) it’s always going to bite them back in the ass, Sony can take this negative publicity and use it as a lesson to really understand conflicts at shows and understand the core problem. Was Harmon the core problem of Community? no, he created brilliant original material. Chase on the other hand can’t remember his lines, makes the cast uncomfortable, and is a bigot. He doesn’t bring in major ratings and yet costs the most money. As a student studying to be an actuary I would look at the numbers as well. How much do they have to pay Chase? Does that cost equate to the amount of viewers he brings? If not cut your losses. Getting rid of Harmon was also a dysfunctional business move.. they still had to pay him to go way but now they don’t get 15 hr work days from him and had to hire 2 people to do his job.

Comment by Megan – October 20, 2012 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh BS. It is on prime time TV at frequently, and way more than that on cable and premium shows. Stop trying to pretend it’s not.

Comment by Chuck Finley (AJ) – October 20, 2012 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • what are you talking about? After this I’ve been really paying attention not one of the shows I watch mentioned it.

Comment by Megan – October 22, 2012 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Oh Megan, don’t try and engage Chuck, he has terrible opinions about things. Just last week after the debate, he was on this site accusing individual women of being freeloading tramps that sleep around just because they mentioned they happened to be getting free birth control. You can’t win against people like that. They think their opinion is endorsed by God himself, and they think they are better than everyone else in the world because they are just so dang smart.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – October 22, 2012 06:00 PM PDT
    • Black people use it pretty consistently. Kinda hard to justify their outrage when it is part of their everyday vernacular. Also, this article doesn’t bother to tell you in what context the word was used. Seeing as how he is tired of his character being dark and bigoted, I suspect the word was used in a way not to offend anyone, but probably describe what he thinks of his character and now has to be belittled by others simply because he is white and has “no right to use the word” even though others use it all the time.

Comment by Chuck Finley (AJ) – October 20, 2012 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It really bothers me that that’s the argument you use to defend his behavior. It’s wrong period. It doesn’t matter who uses it. Two wrongs don’t make a right. And not all black people use it as part of their vocabulary. You really shouldn’t make such sweeping statements. I’m African American and it’s just as offensive to me coming from someone of my race than it is anyone else. So that’s a sad and pathetic form of defense. I’m disturbed by the obsession others have with saying a word with such a dark and ugly history. It was completely unnecessary. Point. Blank. Period. There is no excuse.

Comment by Lena120 – October 20, 2012 09:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Then tell other people like yourself to stop glorifying it in music, TV, and movies. You can pretend that it is not the case all you want but you are wrong. Besides, this site is worse than TMZ when it comes to these crap stories. I looked it up over there and he said “What are you going to make me do next, use the word n***er?” Not appropriate, but far from the racial outburst you want it to be. They say it wasn’t directed at anyone and production was never halted. I think you are just mad a white person said it, and that is racist in itself.

Comment by Chuck Finley (AJ) – October 20, 2012 09:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Since you have such a firm grasp on Black people’s everyday use of the word–can you explain something else too: Of the millions of sperm…how were YOU the fastest?

Comment by Antwon – October 20, 2012 10:20 PM PDT
          • I stand by what I have said and I have the millions of times the word has been used on television, in music, and movies to back me up. If you find the word racist then you should start with yourselves if you want to remove it from society. Not go nuts when a white person says it and it gets taken completely out of context. It is just sad and pathetic to see black people resort to this argument while you support the rap industry and its prolific use of the word, along with a lot of other words that are degrading to women as well. Either put up or shut up.

Comment by Chuck Finley (AJ) – October 20, 2012 10:26 PM PDT
          • the more you comment about the collective opinions, thoughts and sentiments of “black people” the less you make anything you say worth taking even remotely seriously.

Comment by murley – October 20, 2012 10:31 PM PDT
          • “It is just sad and pathetic to see black people resort to this argument while you support the rap industry and its prolific use of the word, along with a lot of other words that are degrading to women as well. ”

This statement proves how uninformed you are. You do realize the majority of rap sales come from white suburban youth? That’s a fact. I’m not a huge fan of it myself but thanks for stereotyping. You’re perpetuating a stereotype that you THINK is true. Like I said I don’t agree with the word being used in ANY context from any person. You’re clinging to a “if they do it, so can I” excuse and it doesn’t make sense. Two wrongs don’t make a right. Trying to justify it an ANY case is in fact racist. I don’t care if you’re white, black, or blue. It will never be OK. It sounds like you have a thing for the word, which makes me question your motives behind defending its use. Either way, I’m not particularly interested.

Comment by Lena120 – October 20, 2012 10:40 PM PDT
          • “Chuck Finley (AJ)” need not to be indulged. a known troll.

Comment by cjeffery7 – October 21, 2012 02:01 AM PDT
        • You’re African American? So you have some sort of dual-citizenship thing going on?

Comment by Shane – October 21, 2012 04:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Wow that was bad. I mean a really bad troll move. But nice try. I’m sure someone thought it was clever. You could have kept that one.

Comment by Lena120 – October 21, 2012 10:19 AM PDT
          • Lena120, you are my hero right now.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – October 22, 2012 06:04 PM PDT
  • His character adds nothing to the show anyway. This is ridiculous. Stop putting up with the spoiled brat and get rid of him already.

Comment by Rrrrrr – October 20, 2012 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know he has a reputation for being difficult, but this actually surprises me.

Comment by Aleksa – October 20, 2012 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stay classy Chevy.

Comment by Happy Go Lucky – October 20, 2012 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He wants to get fired. I can’t believe I wasn’t more on Dan Harmon’s side.

Comment by raftrap – October 20, 2012 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He obviously wants to be fired because if fired he still gets the money from his contract, if he quits he forfeits it!

Comment by Pauly – October 20, 2012 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t even…Of all the things that would come out of my mouth even in a blind rage, that word wouldn’t even occur to me. Just cringeworthy.

Comment by Meri – October 20, 2012 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You would think he’d be a little more grateful…his career was in the proverbial toilet when he got a chance to be a regular on what turned out to be a critically-acclaimed primetime sitcom. But he’s just proved himself to be a pompous jerk that most people always knew he was…

Comment by Dr. Bombay – October 20, 2012 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Umm, odd reference there, given that Chase’s family (grandfather, maybe?) had one of the biggest toilet manufacturing companies; Crane. Given he comes from money, and has made tons of money, who can blame him for not wanting to portray a character that has become so offensive? It wasn’t what he signed up for and he doesn’t have to do it.

Comment by Uncle Arthur – October 20, 2012 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Then he should quit instead of throwing temper tantrums every time he doesn’t agree with something. I love Chevy but it’s just getting ridiculous and embarrassing at this point.

Comment by Autopilot – October 20, 2012 11:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That word shouldn’t even be in his vocabulary. What a worthless POS.

Comment by daviduter – October 20, 2012 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not really defending Chase here (don’t care for the guy), but Deadline.com has a report on the context of his remark:

“People close to the situation say that Chase had been increasingly frustrated and uncomfortable with the direction of his character, Pierce, who is a bigot. After getting fed more lines he found offensive during a scene yesterday, I hear he snapped and launched the tirade, airing his frustration and suggesting that the way things with Pierce are going, he may next be asked to call Troy (Glover) or Shirley (Brown) the N-Word.”

Throwing that word around isn’t advisable, but context is important.

Comment by Marta – October 20, 2012 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thanks for posting this. If this is really how it happened someone should defend him. Seriously. He’s an actor playing a part and he doesn’t seem to like how his character is being written. I don’t know him, but I don’t necessarily blame him in this context.

Comment by jan – October 20, 2012 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • What bothers me is that people are not reading what actually happened and are acting like Chase used the word as an epithet, when in fact it appears he was basically saying, “I don’t want these writers to force me to call their characters a n—–.”

In other words… Chase hates his character being racist, so he’s racist here? That does not compute. Like I said, I don’t care for the guy, but he’s being pilloried unfairly here.

However, that word should never be used lightly, even in that context. Chase was right to apologize, and I have to question the motives of people who are twisting this into a “Chevy Chase is a racist” story. That is so obviously not what was going on here.

Comment by Marta – October 20, 2012 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I misread than. I thought the article stated he said it because he was frustrated about not knowing his script? That makes it not as bad if he was trying to express his dislike of his character. He could have just said though the N word in stead of actually saying the word though. I still don’t like Chevy, still pissed at him for getting Harmon fired from his baby when he doesn’t even like the show.

Comment by Megan – October 20, 2012 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Chase didn’t get Harmon fired, though Harmon got himself fired. and Chevy is from an old generation, I douubt he or anyone his age could censor themselves in the heat of the moment and use n-word in place of the actual word.

Comment by Michael Sacal – October 20, 2012 02:01 PM PDT
          • “I doubt he or anyone ‘his age’ could censor themselves in the heat…” says Michael Sacal. Well Michael…think again. We’re the generation that changed it and believe me…it wasn’t easy. And BTW Michael…that’s a prejudiced statement from you. Ironic, huh?

Comment by Jay Poynte – October 21, 2012 02:59 PM PDT
        • Pierce has always been a bigot, Chase knew that when he took the part. And I highly doubt the writers or the network would ever let it get near that level. Whatever the context, he shouldn’t have said and he was just throwing another fit.

Comment by Stephanie – October 20, 2012 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • To a degree, yes, but they have increased the level of bigotry with each season. In the beginning it wasn’t so blatant and awful, it was merely part of the package. Now, he’s just the bigot, racist, annoying, old character that has nothing to do but throw out uncomfortable dialogue here and there. The character is just a joke now and it’s clear no one is happy. Can’t really comment on this incident without really knowing the context or what not, although, nothing excuses the usage of that word. Disappointed, regardless. Always wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt with past stories, but this pushes it for me.

Comment by tripoli – October 20, 2012 04:25 PM PDT
        • If he would have just used n-word to complain about the fact that his character used it, why would he feel the need to formaly apologise?? This stinks and nobody likes his character anyway. Just kill him of already, I doubt anyone would miss him. I wouldn’t anyway. Don’t get me wrong, I do laugh at some of his jokes (mainly because they are at his expense), but I laugh at every Community joke. I will still laugh if he isn’t there.

Anyway, Community forever.

Comment by ddutchie88 – October 20, 2012 05:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If it’s true and.in this context only I excuse him. If it was something to shock the writers and then understand that they already flirting with the line and if they continue the only way to make hiq character even more offensive is to call Glover’s Character the N-Word then he wasn’t that wrong.
      If what you report is true I imagine something ” Seriously you want me to say That ?? What’s next ? Being oppenly racist and call them N ?”. Just to show them they’re going too far, going too far himself as an example.
      Again it’s the only way I can excuse the use of that word

Comment by mco – October 20, 2012 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Completely agree. He used the word to show his hatred of it. (If that story is correct, of course) If I used the word in a non-epithet context, asking somebody a question and everyone went insane because I’d uttered the word, I would be both horrified and livid.

And I almost hate defending him because both the character and the man seem mediocre to me.

Comment by Stacy – October 20, 2012 11:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • context colors the situation. if this is true, then he was using the word in an acceptable context.

Comment by Michael Sacal – October 20, 2012 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • There is -never- an acceptable context for a non-black person to use the n-word.

Comment by H – October 22, 2012 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If context is everything, why did they need to stop production until Chevy apologized, to everyone? It would seem that Yvette Brown and Don Glover didn’t care for the “important” context.

Comment by Lauren – October 20, 2012 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • According to TMZ production was never stopped, nor was he forced to apologize.

Comment by Chuck Finley (AJ) – October 20, 2012 10:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thanks for posting the clarification.

Comment by Kristina – October 20, 2012 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you for giving this some context. I’m still not condoning the use of the epithet, but it makes somewhat more understandable.

Comment by Aleksa – October 20, 2012 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You are right. Read your comment and went over to Deadline. Their description shows that he really wasn’t being racist, he was actually tired that his character was still being written as incredibly racist and lost his cool. We all know how strong the n- word can be and I think Chase would be the first to admit that he was over the line, but I think journalists have the obligation to be accurate in their reports. And, if Deadline is correct, TVline failed.

Comment by Raineri – October 21, 2012 12:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It has been well reported for years that Chevy Chase is difficult to work with, which explains his absence from the big and small screen for so many years until this show came along. He deserves the same treatment from Hollywood that Michael Richards from Seinfeld received when he utter the same inappropriate word. He needs to be fired and should be blocked from any future projects in tinsel town.

Comment by Scottyb – October 20, 2012 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He’s the one thing I haven’t missed on community. Please just get rid of him.

Comment by Stephanie – October 20, 2012 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Umm…no one should excuse him. I don’t care what the “context” is. That word should have NEVER passed his lips. Who or why would you use THAT SPECIFIC word “in frustration”? Out of ALL the words in the English language he could have used, he chose that one?! Very disappointed.

Comment by Mim – October 20, 2012 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I in no way want to excuse the usage of the word, but people of the older generations grew up using a lot of language that is now considered completely offensive and unacceptable to say in any context. I am quite often shocked and uncomfortable with some of the language my grandmother uses in regular conversation, but have to remind myself that she grew up in another time and doesn’t mean any offense. Old habits are hard to break. I could possibly understand if it slipped out in a tirade of frustration, knowing that perhaps in his earlier life that word was acceptable and common place and he’s had to work at changing his vocabulary. People still use retarded and gay in regards to things they find stupid or annoying. Many consider that offensive and inappropriate to say, but it’s still quite common. Takes time and effort to change what was once common. Some are better at it than others. Perhaps Chase isn’t well equipped to handle is anger. Agree with the disappointment.

Comment by tripoli – October 20, 2012 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • “She doesn’t mean any offense”.IMO that’s what is important in the issues, any issues. The words aren’t important themselves. It’s the meaning that the person using it give to it that is important.
        In the case of Chase, according.to reports he didn’t mean any offense, quite the contrary.
        And reading some of the comments I am.afraid that some don’t see that words are just word and mean nothing without context.
        Reading some of other comments it seems that saying “All negros are good and kind people” is the worst thing you can do but saying “All african-american are bad and mean people” is okay since there no use of a Big Bag Word.
        If that’s true for some.people, if someone can’t how screwed up it is, then I am really worried
        (I am aware my comment can be deleted. Just trying to make a point here”l)

Comment by mco – October 20, 2012 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. Things like that do not slip out unless they have been entertained. I have never liked Chevy Chase. I think he is overrated, arrogant and self-indulgent. Amazing considering that he takes pride in how liberal and tolerant he is. He should be dismissed. Period. NBC is hurting their brand by condoning this type of behavior. By not firing him, that is exactly the message they are sending.

Comment by Ana – October 20, 2012 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He’s a mess.

Comment by diane – October 20, 2012 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When I get super frustrated with something and need to swear, I don’t typically look to racial slurs for help. I feel sorry for everyone who had to witness that.

Comment by Gilda – October 20, 2012 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One word: sensationalism.

Comment by Cal – October 20, 2012 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For everybody here complaining about the use of the word . I hope you all take into account the Republicans trying to suppress the vote of minorities in this country when you cast your vote on election day !

I don’t know how much more the network or the studio will want to put up with this . On a day that was supposed to be joyous ( with the 2 minute Oct 19 video ) to this ? When will this guy learn :(

Comment by Jessica – October 20, 2012 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wow. Chase is a known liberal Dem, having insulted the first President Bush to the point that most other Dems thought he went too far, yet, somehow, you are able to turn Chase’s comments into a warning against voting for Reps? Really? The Dem supporter said something horrid so we should vote for Dems?

Not that I’m advocating for either party, but are people so unable to rationally discuss anything, like an actor saying something offensive, without trying to turn it into the Reps being bad? Get help. Learn how to be less emotional about your politics. Learn that it isn’t “us versus them” but should be “how can we all find common understanding.” Lunacy like trying to tie Chase’s comments to anything to do with national politics needs to stop and smart, rational, thoughtful people need to take back politics.

Sorry for the rant, but I’m so tired of uneducated, irrational nut jobs thinking it is acceptable to inject their clueless, hack partisanship into any and every conversation. It helps nothing. It accomplished nothing, but for making the poster look foolish.

End of rant.

Comment by Uncle Arthur – October 20, 2012 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • To play devils advocate there is a small minority of people voting republican because of race. This is because Romney is the anti-obama or protest vote. Cite birthers, Obama is hitler, Obama wants communism. I have been in fox new territory because I like to know both sides and there is this undercurrent of hate. I also worked on republican candidates campaign in Iowa and NH during the primaries and I can tell you it’s very much there. To say racism is dead in America is imo irresponsible. What people need to really understand for this election is economics. When you have a system in place that doesn’t reinvest into it’s people and doesn’t create opportunities you have a disparity of wealth. This is what has happened because of George Bush policies he enacted No child left behind which hurt our education system and lowered tax rates so much so that people now expect low tax rates even on the state level creating less opportunities to crawl out of the cast system you were born into. Capitalism is amazing but we also need government programs to help people improve and build themselves a better future for their kids. Don’t even get me started on the koch brothers and the tea party.

Comment by Megan – October 20, 2012 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Who are these people voting for Romney because of race? I’m tired of that being accepted as the truth when it isn’t. Unless you can name names, please stop trying to pass innuendo off as truth. Libs love to make things up. Libs love to be condescending. Both are on display in your untruthful, obnoxious, fictitious statement.

I beg to say more African Americans are voting for Obama because of his race than are voting for Romney because of race, and I live in a majority African American neighborhood and can name specific names to back that up.

Comment by Uncle Arthur – October 20, 2012 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • you just made a rational comment about no more ‘us vs them’ mentality and then followed it up with “libs love to make things up. libs love to be condescending”. seems a little hypocritical to me. are only other people supposed to change their divisive mentality?

Comment by murley – October 20, 2012 09:41 PM PDT
        • What about the Koch brothers? These are men who have invested in businesses, created jobs and been successful. They have chosen to use their money to promote what they believe in. How does that make them bad?

And the tea party? Again, people expressing views that you don’t like, so you have to portray them as evil? Why can’t you just provide a list of Dem achievements and plans? If those ideas are good, then people will want to vote for Dems. Is the Dem argument so weak that demonizing the Reps is necessary? What, in the name of all that is good, has the Tea Party done that you find so offensive? Not the made up condescending Dem idea of what the TP would do if given the chance, but the facts, please. What has the TP done?

Comment by Uncle Arthur – October 20, 2012 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Nice response and couldn’t agree more Uncle Arthur,

Comment by lexi – October 22, 2012 05:58 AM PDT
        • I agree that there is a percentage of people who are voting for Romney because he’s white. And there’s also a percentage of people who are voting for Obama because he is black.

Comment by Miffy – October 20, 2012 11:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • ya 99.9 lol

Comment by robert cunningham – October 21, 2012 02:23 PM PDT
      • Thank you, Uncle Arthur.

Comment by Nichole – October 20, 2012 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sorry, but requiring voters to have an ID is not “suppressing the vote of minorities”, it is an attempt to make sure everyone is voting LEGALLY–as in, if you aren’t a citizen, you don’t get a vote. Get your facts straight before making asinine comments like this.

Comment by Kristina – October 20, 2012 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you read the Deadline article it doesn’t sound like Chase was being racist; he in fact doesn’t like his character being a racist/bigot. So, I’ll cut him some slack. I hate the word, but I think Chase is being vilified here for the wrong reasons.

Comment by jonie – October 20, 2012 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Frustration over the direction of his character I can understand but venting it by using a racist word is illogical and disgusting. I don’t get why this guy thinks he’s so special.

Comment by Em – October 20, 2012 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • man, you americans are way too sensible

Comment by Mafalda Neto – October 20, 2012 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Very True…. Context is key in these types of situations. If a word wasn’t used to offend, it isn’t offensive. end of story

Comment by Charles – October 20, 2012 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You’re probably white aren’t you?

Comment by lol – October 20, 2012 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Not that its any of your business, I’m jewish from Morroccan descent and I’ve dealt with an incredible array of insultments and slurs thrown my way. I’ve taught myself to ignore the ignorant and realized quite quickly that words are just words and only once they are put into context, they become insulting. Just saying a word, is what it always has been: saying a word. And allowing yourself to be harmed, scrutinized or put under pressure by something so trivial and as simple as a 6 letter word is sad and is a complete waste of time. Its understandable and justified completely if the intent, from the get go, was to offendmm but since that wasn’t chase’s intent, why bother sensationalizing this? Don’t make a big deal out of this and it won’t be

Comment by Charles – October 20, 2012 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Words, however, have meaning, and some meanings are offensive. When “words are just words” in your case, they no longer have meaning. There are plenty of words that I can be called, whether in an insulting context or not, and they won’t affect me. Just because I have thick skin doesn’t mean the words are not offensive.

Comment by Nicole – October 20, 2012 09:26 PM PDT
      • exactly, and we live in a different time now, that word doesn’t mean the same thing it did in the past.

Comment by Mafalda Neto – October 21, 2012 05:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You got that right! Everybody here has to be politically correct now or they are ostracized.

Comment by Renee – October 21, 2012 07:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too bad. I like Pierce and Chase though.

Comment by Teag – October 20, 2012 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Libra men do not age well. They get fractious and curmudgeonly.

Comment by Sara – October 20, 2012 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • People are making such a big deal over nothing. Just a word. He apologized. It’s one thing if he was calling someone the n word, it’s quite another to just say it.

Comment by Mark – October 20, 2012 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s just a word?! Have you been living under a rock?

Comment by wow – October 20, 2012 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • hmm like how i feel everytime i open a package of soda crackers and think of what blacks call me , im so devestated

Comment by robert cunningham – October 21, 2012 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You must not be a person of color to disregard this ridiculous comment by Chevy Chase. There is no reason for him to have said this, nor will there ever be. If you read another blog, different topic, Jennifer Esposito was asked to reduce her hours on the show until she recovers from her GI issues at the urging of her doctor. CBS removed her temporarily which is causing backlash for CBS. This guy gets away with a simple apology but is allowed to remain on the show??? Yet the suspend another actress for an illness??? Really, this is okay?????

Comment by Marilyn Moores – October 21, 2012 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh… Why do they continue to put up with Chevy, one things for sure today is not October 19.

Comment by Sue – October 20, 2012 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Chase has grown increasingly unhappy with the dark direction of his character, the bigoted Pierce Hawthorne.”

So Chevy Chase decides to become like the character he hates. Honestly they really need to just fire him already.

Comment by Midori004 – October 20, 2012 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • troy would totally have tweeted it on the @oldwhitemansays profile :D

Comment by Polly – October 20, 2012 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hoooow was he not fired yet??? He doesnt like the show, he doesnt like the people working on the show and he characters is incredibly annoying and not relevant at all to the storyline. Fire him already!

Comment by Raineri – October 20, 2012 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Apparently, the context was Chevy complaining how bigoted his character has been becoming, and he said something along the lines of, “What’s next, am I going to say the word ____?” Just FYI.

And to be honest, I really don’t know how I feel about Chevy in the show. I had no problems with him before, was unaware of his past jobs where he apparently was “hard to work with” or whatever, but I thought he had been fine up until recently. Everyone seems to say the show could survive without him, and it probably could, but I can’t just help but feel that I can kind of see where Chevy is coming from in his so-called “rants”. Over the seasons, his character hasn’t gotten nicer by any means, and they always portray him as an antagonist whose views are obviously more bigoted in nature. I can see why he’s mad about how his character has developed. He’s grown to be a character that fans seem to love to hate because of his character’s douchebaggery, and I feel like that does seem a little unfair for him.

I don’t know, just things to consider, especially the context of what happened in this situation. TV Line should have been more specific about it. Articles like this can obviously mislead people about what and how things actually went down.

Comment by Mike – October 20, 2012 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He’s clearly trying to get fired from a TV show he no longer wants to be part of, get rid of him already and replace him with a “That 70′s Show” actor (a la Charlie Sheen-Ashton Kutcher) or Harold Ramis (is he still alive??)

Comment by Steve Mindyknowski – October 20, 2012 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t get it…. if you don’t like your job, leave!!

Comment by Javiera Herrera (@Javi4Real) – October 20, 2012 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Someone on set who was there obviously found this inappropriate in order to leak the details. If it offended them, and he had to apologize, clearly he was in the wrong. I don’t see how people can defend use of the word in any context? You can’t talk about not wanting to say the word and then say it. Doesn’t work that way.

Comment by Brett Staffen (@staffen) – October 20, 2012 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It can work that way. Come on.
      “I don’t want to say offensive thing. What it will be next the N-word?”
      Here I am calm and pretty happy. Chase was frustrated, angry…he didn’t censored himself like ge didn’t have to for most of his life. He has to apoligyze for the lack of censor. However he didn’t call anybody by that name nor use it to express a racist opinion. And for me it makes a very big difference.

Comment by mco – October 20, 2012 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Not a big enough difference where I excuse his behavior and want to continue to support the guy. Being old isn’t an excuse to use that word. In his generation that word was used to separate and dehumanise an entire race of people. That word in that time frame was something that no person should have included in their vocabulary. For that word to stay in his vocabulary all these years says something about his character. When people are mad and upset is when they expose their unfiltered beliefs and right here it was shown that Chevy Chase is familiar with that word and is comfortable saying it.

Comment by Megan – October 20, 2012 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually think the show would lose a little magic if any of the original cast left, that said you can only let a cast member slip up so many times.

Comment by Damien Roberts (@dam744) – October 20, 2012 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Here is a funny point Donald glover says to use that word. That way it just becomes a word. So really don’t think he was hurt by that use of the word.

Comment by Jo – October 20, 2012 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think thats entirely possible. There are certain words, especially derogatory ones, that you can’t take the meaning away from them.

Comment by Damien Roberts (@dam744) – October 20, 2012 05:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly what I was going to say, he has a stand up joke all about people using it, so I doubt he was actually offended. Shouldn’t have happened but it did, people can get over it hopefully and continue shooting and hopefully October 19th comes soon enough.

Comment by Tyler – October 20, 2012 05:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s what I thought of when I read it lol. And he did mention “A few of you will probably be killed, but it’ll be worth it”.

Comment by Alyssa – October 21, 2012 05:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think context is key here, and I do wonder what did Pierce have to say for Chevy to complain to such extent, considering Pierce has said pretty terrible things before. It isn’t the best way to stand up against bigotry to use a word that actual bigots use, but if what other sites are reporting is true, I think he was just trying to put an example of how extreme Pierce was getting, if maybe in the wrong way. I don’t know Chevy so I can’t know what really happened, but really no one does unless the people who were on set. “Sources” will paint the situation in whatever light they want to pain it and so will media.

Comment by Taylah – October 20, 2012 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • you beat me to it LOL

Comment by asdfgh – October 20, 2012 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • People shouldn’t jump to conclusions. It’s always all about context and that we don’t know. he could have used it because he’s racist or he could have even used it in a way that was actually against racism.

He’s supposedly upset that his character is going too far so possibly there was a racial line he thought went too far and he said something like: for the love of god what is wrong with this script you might as well be asking me to call people N****** on national television.

Comment by asdfgh – October 20, 2012 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t actually watch “Community” but the story caught my eye and have to comment that it is interested that Chevy Chase once played a character on an episode of “Law & Order” who went on a Mel Gibson-esque tirade.

Comment by Emgee – October 20, 2012 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was going to say, really ironic given the Gibson-esque L&O episode.

Comment by Seth – October 20, 2012 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOOK AT ALL THESE COMMENTS! IT GOT US TALKING ABOUT COMMUNITY. SHAME IT HAD TO BE ABOUT THIS.

Comment by CATE – October 20, 2012 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When black people stop using the word, and when writers stop writing it into shows (and yes it has been in prime time, Law & Order specifically) then I will care. This mock outrage over a word is silly. It wasn’t directed at anyone and you obviously live with your head in the sand if you don’t believe it is said on TV shows frequently to add “authenticity” to shows.

Comment by Chuck Finley (AJ) – October 20, 2012 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now all I’m thinking of is the word association sketch with Chevy and Richard Pryor

Comment by Erras – October 20, 2012 08:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When they kill off Chase’s character, which is imminent at this point, he should leave all his money to Troy. FTW!

Comment by KT – October 20, 2012 10:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Defining the ‘N-Word’ -
    Noun: old fashion farm equipment.
    Verb: one used to pick cotton, and dig ditches.
    Seems what Chevy said was appropriate depending on the shooting location.

Comment by Jarrod Mitchell – October 20, 2012 11:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HOW DO PEOPLE DEFEND THIS GUY STILL??!! someone PLEASE take a note from Tina Fey and have the balls the to condemn his behavior even if they are friends with him. Dude needs a reality check, though he doesn’t exactly strike me as sane enough to really respond to such a sincere intervention… UGH. i’m done woth chevy.

Comment by cjeffery7 – October 21, 2012 02:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • im sorry am i the only one who wants chevy to stay?

Comment by Mark Pempengco (@MarkPempengco) – October 21, 2012 04:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No you are not the only one! And of course this is only a stunt because when is Community premiering again?

Comment by luke – October 21, 2012 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No you’re not. I want Chevy to stay too. He didn’t mean to offend anyone and he apologized. End of story.
      He even said in an interview “I think the reason I have stuck around is because I love these kids, the cast – they are very good. “

Comment by anik (@11starthestral) – October 21, 2012 07:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I want him to stay…what is the big difference between Pierce saying it or Chevy? I can imagine that Chevy’s tirade occurred as he was using his Pierce voice…”what the hell am I going to say that is more shocking next…n-word, n-word”. Chevy is a smart man who believes that a character such as Pierce that has immersed himself in a diverse group as his study group for the last 4 years should have shown some growth and tolerance by now and to see none is completely frustrating…when you are angry beyond belief words and actions will come out to make the most impact if he has tried to make reasonable suggestions that have fallen on deaf ears at a certain point people will explode. Everybody has exploded at one point in their life…i want to see pierce come back and be his crudmugeon self with less bigotry….i.hope chevy got his point across. I also wonder why the others don’t back him up on this…bigotry can only be so funny until it is not.

Comment by Rose – October 21, 2012 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amazing, he should be FIRED and why are there no tweets to have him fired??? A liberal (communist) does that and all is forgiven BUT a Republican does that and all hell breaks lose. Talk about double standards.

Comment by bill – October 21, 2012 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Chevy Chase shouldn’t have apologized ! Why ? I am “white” and I have heard blacks, many times use the terms, “honky”, “white trash”, “white bitch”, etc., openly, even on TV, without the issuing of any type of apology. I guess, blacks have some sort immunity, just because their black. To hell with the blacks !

Comment by Maurice Rhoden – October 21, 2012 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, if a conservative actor like Jon Voight or Scott Baio said that, he would have been axed from the show immediately with producers quick to say “we don’t condone this behavior”. He would subsequently be banned for years along the likes of Michael Richards in Hollywood. Chase instead gets a slap to the wrist and a delayed show or two while he issues his “apology” but is allowed to continue working. On the other note, I can’t believe Chase isn’t a little more grateful and gracious in his manners on the set. His career was frankly in the toilet before Community came along, rescuing him from D-movie hell and foreign soda commercials, yet he still acts like an bitter, angry man and a diva when he doesn’t get his way. The problem is this isn’t 1985 and he isn’t an A-list star anymore, so eventually the producers aren’t going to put up with that behavior forever, liberal or not. If I were him, I would just be thankful to be on a hit show again and try to enjoy it while it lasted; oh well, some people never learn apparently.

Comment by Kenneth – October 22, 2012 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post