Ratings: Two and a Half Men Hits Season Highs, Y'all! Up All Night Up, Last Resort Spies Bump

Get More: Ratings

Miley Cyrus on Two and a Half Men Thanks to or despite guest star Miley Cyrus, CBS’ Two and a Half Men this Thursday hits season highs in total viewers (with 13.6 million) and in the 18-49 demo (with a 4.0 rating), up 19 and 14 percent week-to-week.

Leading into the Men, The Big Bang Theory (15.4 mil/4.7) was up 9 percent and two tenths.

Rounding out CBS’ night, Person of Interest (13.8 mil/2.8) dipped 5 and 7 percent (but led the 9 o’clock hour in viewership), and Elementary (10.8 mil/2.3) slipped 3 and 8 percent.

RELATED | The New DVR Ratings Surge: Why Your Playback Habits Matter (and Why They Don’t)

Elsewhere on Thursday:

* Up All Night, rising 27 percent week-to-week to a 1.4 rating, was the only NBC comedy to increase. 30 Rock (3.33 mil/1.3) was flat, The Office (4.3 mil/2.0) dipped two tenths and Parks and Recreation (3.43 mil/1.6) was down 16 percent in the demo.

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Recap: An Unsettling Hour

* ABC’s Last Resort, currently at 7.3 million viewers and 1.7, is looking at a possible Week 4 uptick of 6 percent — unless an NFL preemption in San Francisco brings that number down to sea level. Grey’s Anatomy (9.5 mil/3.3) fell 13 percent, while Scandal (6.4 mil/2.0) was rock-steady.

RELATED | Scandal Recap: A Helluva Second Act

* The CW’s Vampire Diaries (2.74 mil/1.2) was down 14 and 25 percent, while Beauty and the Beast dropped 27 and 42 percent from its premiere to 2 mil/0.7.

RELATED | The Vampire Diaries Recap: A Bloody Mess

* Based on preliminary numbers, Fox’s coverage of the NLCS Game 4 averaged about 5.4 million viewers and a 1.4 rating (matching NBC’s demo for the night).

What were you tuned into this Thursday?

Comments (56)

• Hope Last Resort stays at that demo!! Its an awesome show!!
    I watched an episode of Two and a Half Men after 5 years just for Miley (I know, I know). Show is still stupid and unfunny, but she was slightly funny and damn hot!

Comment by the guy – October 19, 2012 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Do you and Miley share the same crack pipe? She was as horrid as her music video ‘Can’t Be Tamed’.

Comment by Jarrod Mitchell – October 19, 2012 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t even like her music. I just find her hot and she was better than everyone else on that god-awful sitcom.

Comment by GKguy – October 19, 2012 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Last Resort is indeed awesome.

Comment by Michael Sacal – October 19, 2012 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If Last Resort stays at that demo, it’s still getting cancelled.

Comment by popculturewithkyle – October 19, 2012 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I meant relatively. I know the ratings need to improve. Just hope the ratings for this episode wouldn’t go down because of NFL preemption.
        Scandal needs go to 666 timeslot so Nashville can take its place (GA and Nashville are soapy and are a better fit). Last Resort needs to move to Nashville’s slot (comedies and action-dramas could share the same audience) while 666 moves to Thursdays at 8 (its the least likely to get renewed) if ABC wants to give Last Resort and Nashville a real shot.

Comment by GKguy – October 19, 2012 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last night VD was awesome.. The last scene with Alaric and Damon was one of the best moments ever on VD!

Comment by Rawr – October 19, 2012 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was the only part of the episode I really enjoyed. The rest was just flat.

Comment by wrstlgirl – October 19, 2012 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. I was a sobbing mess by the end of that scene. TVD is one of the only shows that makes me cry, and quite often too, it seems!

Comment by ktbanks – October 19, 2012 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree!!! Damon’s loneliness is so palpable and raw- it was painful to watch! Best episode so far!

Comment by Susy – October 19, 2012 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loving Last Resort. I love Jonny Lee Miller but I’m finding myself bored with Elementary already. Vampire Diaries is same old, same old. I’m hanging on by a thread there, sadly.

Comment by wrstlgirl – October 19, 2012 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with being bored with Elementary. Maybe the problem is we already have a great modern Sherlock Holmes in Sherlock. Benedict Cumberbatch’s Holmes is just that much better…

Comment by lingy300 – October 19, 2012 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t have access to that show. I think the writing in Elementary is just ho hum. It’s just not that interesting and Watson is blah. I don’t find the character interesting at all.

Comment by wrstlgirl – October 19, 2012 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • They have the first two seasons on Netflix plus if I remember correctly PBS has ran it as well. The seasons are short only 3 episodes in each but they are all 90 minutes long. Its fantastic great writing great characters and its what causes A LOT of my issues with Elementary. I’m waiting for things to happen like they do in that show and it never happens…I agree on Watson…totally uninteresting… I will keep soldiering on hoping that it will eventually get better.

Comment by lingy300 – October 19, 2012 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • You can order it from your local library and keep it for a week.

Comment by Templar – October 19, 2012 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah I think that’s part of my problem…I watched Sherlock first, and this one just fell flat for me. And I’m just not seeing the chemistry (platonic, not romantic) between him and Watson. The guys from the British version are great together…these two, not so much.

Comment by Kristina – October 19, 2012 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The problem I have with Miller’s Sherlock is that he’s so sloppy and erratic whereas Cumberbatch’s is delightfully precise and focused. Also Elementary’s Watson is practically robotic. Freeman, however, is so human he makes me feel what he’s feeling.

Comment by Templar – October 19, 2012 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I happened into Last Resort accidentally and think it is great, if only because it encourages independent thinking. It is not the type of show I generally like, but it is very good.

Comment by Yo' – October 19, 2012 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I feel like any show that’s on NBC or ABC would get better ratings if it was on CBS. Don’t ask me why, though.

Comment by TigerNightmare – October 19, 2012 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The CBS factor is “real”. Take any show on X network and move it to CBS, ratings go up 5/10 and a couple of million viewers.

Don’t you know that Les Moonves has the magic virus the affects all Nielsen boxes.

Comment by eridapo – October 19, 2012 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Parks and Rec?

Comment by Hilla – October 19, 2012 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sorry, Just saw it now..

Comment by Hilla – October 19, 2012 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ouch for the CW. I was expecting a drop for B&B but 42% to a .7? That’s huge. Surprisingly, Arrow is the #1 show for this week, followed by TVD and the ever reliable Supernatural. Genre shows really are the way to go for the CW. I just think there was a bit of a misfire with the writing and casting for B&B.

Comment by Moe – October 19, 2012 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • .7 is indeed some sorry ratings for B&TB. If it stays there, it has a chance at a season two but I see it dropping a bit more. Between the fact that it was the only scripted option last week and the people who watched didn’t seem to enjoy it, I figured last week’s ratings were pretty padded.

Comment by popculturewithkyle – October 19, 2012 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m not surprised that BATB dropped so much this week. Last week’s ratings were much higher because it was on the only broadcast network that had regular programming against the VP debate. I think Arrow is doing better because it has a built-in fanbase from the Comics and maybe even Smallville. Of course, there was an 80s TV version of BATB, but any of those viewers would be too old to be watching anything on The CW. I think Arrow definitely gets a full season order now from The CW, but I’m not too optimistic on Emily Owens and BATB.

Comment by Traci G – October 19, 2012 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hope Scandal gets to at least a 2.5 towards the end of the season! Our mission is to get a season 3 :D preferably for the midseason,that’d be awesome

Comment by Tedi – October 19, 2012 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m on that mission with you. This show HAS to get to season 3!

Comment by bigdede – October 21, 2012 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ouch BATB!! Maybe CW should kick up their promotion

Comment by Sara – October 19, 2012 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • These ratings are sad… Since premiere week shows are dropping every week. I know this is a common occurrence. If this downward trend continues, we are heading to Cable like numbers where anything above a 1 is celebrated as a success.

Comment by eridapo – October 19, 2012 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m actually enjoying Beauty and the Beast. I’ve never watched a CW show before, but after seeing Kristin Kreuk on Chuck, I was interested in seeing her in something else. Although it could be written more smartly, I’m actually surprised at the quality of the show. I always thought the CW hired pretty people who couldn’t act. BatB still has the pretty, but the acting is fine and there’s a nice racially mixed cast.,

Comment by K.C – October 19, 2012 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m actually enjoying it as well.

Comment by Renee – October 19, 2012 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m enjoying it too.Kristin and Jay are good/decent actors and Jay is handsome.

Comment by Brandy – October 19, 2012 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I liked the second episode more, but its still not worth it. Just hanging in there for Kristin. The only one who can’t act is the lead actor.

Comment by GKguy – October 19, 2012 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like it pretty well too. She was also on Smallville for several seasons (although I’ll warn you, her character may make you want to hate the actress after a while; it did my husband. Funnily enough I liked her. But anyway…); you should check that one out, it’s worth watching.

Comment by Kristina – October 19, 2012 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Miley Cyrus made 2.5 Men last night. Her character was hilarious. Hopefully after seeing those ratings CBS will bring her back later in the season.

Comment by Jared – October 19, 2012 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree Miley was so funny. Make her character move and let her become a recurring character!. This coming from someone who isn’t even a fan of hers.

Comment by sammy – October 19, 2012 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • scandal is such a flop. can’t wait to see it canceled

Comment by Toms1€ – October 19, 2012 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t understand why you want a show to be cancelled. What about the people who enjoy it? Why not just watch something else?

Comment by tp72 – October 19, 2012 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Because it leaves an open time slot for something that one does enjoy. Wouldn’t we all like a TV schedule full of only things we want to watch?

Comment by tripoli – October 19, 2012 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • So you would rather wish a show cancelled because only you want something else in that time slot? You know what….nevermind.

Comment by tp – October 19, 2012 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I personally don’t see the appeal for Scandal. It can stay on the airwaves forever, makes no difference to me.

Comment by wrstlgirl – October 19, 2012 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Scandal is really compelling. I would say its like The Good Wife, but the writing is not as great as that one.

Comment by GKguy – October 19, 2012 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoyed all of my shows last night. Last Resort, BBT, Person of Interest, Grey’s, Scandal and Elementary. Scandal was excellent! Favorite line: I’m Quinn B*itch! The ratings could be better for Last Resort though. I don’t want it to get cancelled.

Matt, do you know if the Charlie Brown halloween special is going to air?

Comment by tp72 – October 19, 2012 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last resort is awesome and hope it gets picked up for full,season and season 2. As for Person of interest it is always awesome. I think it’s the best show of its genre right now.

Comment by Ann – October 19, 2012 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad to see Last Resort have an uptick in the ratings this week.

Comment by G – October 19, 2012 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as B&TB can keep up a 1.7 I think it’ll be safe for the season. I guess it’ll depend on how the 3rd episode does. The CW really does not have any backups for their fall shows. Cult and Carrie Diaries are already planned for midseason [with their campaigns happening then, too].

Anyone know how the shows on the CW compare to each other so far? Which ones seem the most likely to be cancelled? I know Arrow is obviously safe.

Comment by Michael – October 19, 2012 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Arrow,SPn,VD are locks for renewal, Beauty’s in the middle of the CW shows for now but it cant fall any more or itll only have its intial episode order but Emily Owens MD debuted low so right now it’s likley to only finish its inital episode order and be cancelled.HoD could go either way.90210 is not doing well but could either get a final short sixth season or wrap up this season & end.Nikita will probably stay close to the bottom of the pack along with GG & 90210.Emily Owens seems most prone to cancellation right now.

Comment by Brandy – October 19, 2012 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last resort was Awsome I hope it survives

Comment by Patricia – October 19, 2012 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So Arrow was the most watched CW show this week!! Wow!

Comment by AlbTrex – October 19, 2012 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I fell asleep during Last Resort. Tells you everything you need to know.

Comment by Daniel – October 19, 2012 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • To much wine?

Comment by wrstlgirl – October 19, 2012 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This made me laugh.

Comment by Renee – October 19, 2012 06:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As if Charlie Sheen, Ashton Kutcher and horrible writing weren’t enough to keep me away from that show, then they go and throw that horrible hillbilly into the mix.

Comment by bob – October 19, 2012 09:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TVD was adjusted up to a 1.3 demo and 2.91 million viewers. This awesome episode got screwed over because the premiere was horrid and many were turned off by it. The way Elena was portrayed as a vampire here should have been the the first episode.

Comment by Dean – October 20, 2012 04:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • she did a great job.. 2 1/2 men is doing much better.. they are bringing Jake and the mom back a bit more which makes the show much better. leave the Brit out.. don’t care for her character.

Comment by j – November 15, 2012 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post