Nikita Boss On That Major 'Mikita' Surprise! Plus Scoop On Alex, Sean, Owen, Ryan and Division

Nikita Season 3Warning: Avoid this story at all costs until you’ve watched this Friday’s Nikita. Once you have, read on for some serious scoopage…

The CW’s Nikita on Friday kicked off its third season with everything viewers have come to expect (butt-kicking and badassery) and one thing they’ve only ever dreamed of: a ‘Mikita’ engagement!

Mere minutes into the season opener, it was revealed that Michael had a big surprise in store for his lady love: a proposal. However, his plans were quickly derailed when, in order to save Nikita and the mission at hand, he sacrificed himself and was carted off to jail for a murder he hadn’t committed.

With his stunner of a rock now in the grubby hands of a no-nonsense detective, Michael waited patiently for Nikita and Co. to break him out — which they did, of course. But our leading man just couldn’t leave without the aforementioned bling. In fact, he was so adamant about retrieving what was rightfully his (or rather, his girlfriend’s), he announced right then and there — to an in-the-dark Nikita, no less! – that he wasn’t going anywhere without her engagement ring. (Squee!)

Following a series of very sweet and stunned facial expressions courtesy of Maggie Q, Michael popped the question, and Nikita wisely accepted.

Here, Nikita boss Craig Silverstein shares with TVLine why now was the time for ‘Mikita’ to go there, whether or not we’ll see a wedding this season and, also, what’s in store for everyone else in the new (and improved?) Division.

TVLINE | Why did you decide to have Michael and Nikita become engaged now?
It was a way to underline their relationship moving forward, and underline it for people who haven’t seen Nikita before: “Oh, these two are together! They’ve been through some stuff.” They are together and have been through so much, but getting engaged doesn’t necessarily guarantee you’ll get married — because lots of things can happen, and will. [Laughs] But they were pretty much already engaged, as far as I was concerned. And it occurred to me that it would be a fun way to do it, where he accidentally proposes in the climax of the mission.

TVLINE | Is this season now building toward a wedding?
I’m not building toward a wedding. It’s hard for me right now to imagine Nikita in a big wedding dress. [Laughs] They just got engaged, and some people are engaged for awhile before that. What I would assume is that they are engaged, and an engagement really is a promise. They still have the rest of the Dirty Thirty to round up, so it might be better to do that first and then get married.

RELATED | Hot Shots: Nikita Guns Down Justified Baddie

TVLINE | How will the rest of the gang react to the engagement news?
We didn’t want to draw it out the way that it made sense for a show like Friends to do, where we make a big deal out of everybody learning one after the other. I can tell you that one thing I lost from the cuts, unfortunately, is when Owen learns about it. It’s not in there because of time, but there’s a lot of material with it still down the line, just not that exact moment. We pretty much cover who learns about it in Episode 2. And it’s interesting how and when Amanda learns about it. We don’t specifically say this outloud, but it’s not the kind of thing that Michael and Nikita are going around advertising to everybody inside Division, because it is a symbol of freedom — which they all haven’t 100 percent earned yet. Some of those people are still working toward their severance and redemption, so they don’t want to rub it in their faces.

TVLINE | So, when Owen returns in Episode 4, it seems like he’ll be caught off guard by both the engagement and Division still being in business. Is it at all a happy homecoming for him?
It’s more a fish-out-of-water thing, because Owen has another problem that’s always been with him that we really won’t talk about until the episode where we see him again.

TVLINE | What is Sean and Alex’s status at this point?
There’s a bit more of that in the third episode. It touches on why Sean is still there, and that it has to do with Alex. He certainly is not bound legally to Division in any way. Their relationship quickly comes to a head in the fourth episode, I believe.

TVLINE | How, if at all, will Owen play into that relationship? Or is he still tied more to Nikita and Michael?
He’s a bit both and neither when he first comes in. He’s just trying to find his feet. The interesting thing is that Owen and Sean don’t cross paths until an episode further down the line, and there are reasons for that.

RELATED | Nikita First Look: Is that an Engagement Ring?!

TVLINE | Talk a little about the dynamic between Owen and Alex when they first meet.
She is sort of cold to him and is essentially trying to do her best to interrogate him. His better and more full scenes with her are in the fifth episode. They have their own little storyline together.

TVLINE | Did you like how they played off of each other as much as the fans think they will?
We’ll see. Some of that stuff actually got cut back for time. There’s a scene at the end of the fifth episode, and I’ll be curious to see what people think about that.

TVLINE | Is it a struggle to keep Ryan likeable now that he’s in charge? Because people are going to side with Nikita, no matter what.
The big key to that is the scene near the end of the premiere, where Ryan talks to the President. We see that he’s carrying a burden that nobody else knows about and that he is trying to keep from everybody else, including Nikita, because he doesn’t want to place that on her. That’s the source of his tension, and I believe it balances out any of the initial harshness that he might have. He’s not coming from a place of, “I’m the boss, and I’m going to do this to be the boss,” it’s, “If we screw up, we’re all dead. And I can’t let you know that because it basically means you’re back where you all started.” This is a secret that he’s not able to keep for long, and when it comes out, it’s pretty explosive. But things will get better [between them] once it comes out.

RELATED | Nikita Cast Talks Season 3′s ‘Ultimate Villain,’ the Death that Has to Happen and More ‘Mikita’ Woes

TVLINE | What brings Amanda back into the fold in Episode 4?
They are looking for her since she’s one of the Dirty Thirty — she’s at the top of the list. They’re actively looking for all of them, but she’s the queen bee. Whether they find her or she comes back at them, I’m not going to say. [Laughs]

TVLINE | I kept waiting for that horrible thing you’ve teased to happen to Michael, but it didn’t. Did I somehow miss it?
[Laughs] No, you didn’t miss something! Meg, I said things are going to start good. You’ll get a little bit of good at first.

TVLINE | OK, how long does “the good” last?
You’re going to be happy through the fall. I’m not going to say what episode it actually happens on, but I can say that it is something that Nikita does to him. That’s all I’ll say, because when you see it, you’ll be like, “Oh, I get it.” [Laughs]

TVLINE | Well, now I’m even more confused. I thought he was going to lose an arm or be wheelchair-bound.
Like Ramon? He wheels up next to Ramon? [Laughs]

TVLINE | Whatever happens, is it something that colors the rest of the season?
A little bit, yeah. That’s the story we’re dealing with [in production] now, and hopefully, it’s going to be a doorway into some other areas in the world that I’d like to explore.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Interviews, Scoop, Spoilers

1. michelle says:

Loved the premiere. But I do not want Owen/Alex to happen. Just no. I’m interested in Sean.

• Rachel says:

Man. I mean we all have out opinions but I must disagree completely. Sean bores me to tears and has absolutely no spark or connection to Alex imo (not to mention its always felt like a cheap knockoff of the Michael/Nikita story and Alex deserves better). I’ve only ever like her with Thom… But her and Owen have always been my dream otp. There are so many parallels with them (butterflies, past drug use, etc etc) that just bring SO much potential to the table… And make my words. Their chemistry will speak for itself. I can feel it. Ugh cant WAIT! Been waiting since season 1 actually… Lol

p.s: and the proposal scene was amazing :’) looks like Silverstein is on its way to making up for the clusterf*ck that was the whole kid sl last season.. Still blocking that out.

• Carla says:

Stop being delusional, it’s annoying! You’re seeing chemistry and they haven’t met yet. How romantic the parallels with the drug use lol

• Olivia says:

Sean has no connection to Alex? So you missed all of S2 then, because that’s the only way you could explain this comment. Owen and Alex have never even met, they’re the ones who don’t have a connection.

Alex and Sean are IMO perfectly compatible and have great chemistry, I honestly don’t see the appeal in Alex/Owen tbh.

• Sarah says:

Totally agree with you! I love Sean too.

2. Natalia says:

I want Nikita and Owen to happen!

• Lena120 says:

I’ve wanted that to happen since day one. I don’t have anything against Mikita, they’re just not my cup of tea. It was too predictable. From the show’s beginning you knew they were going to be together. Owen’s the bad boy she has great chemistry with.

And side note, what they heck happened between Birkhoff and Sonya?!

3. Kat says:

I have never been turned off a potential couple pushed by the media more than Owen/Alex. I am so past caring. And I hate that this is apparently a potential couple that exists solely because of fans. I *hate* when writers cater to fans that way. Do not want.

• Josh says:

Doesn’t sound like they are….It sounds like they’ll be hints but honestly, I just don’t see Nikita(the character) letting this happen. Alex is her little sister and as much as she likes Owen, she will NOT be okay with him putting any sort of moves on Alex. He is not the type of guy she wants Alex with.

• Patrice says:

and I could count those “Olex” fans lmaooo they are so annoying.

4. Carl says:

I want Sean and Owen to happen! So ner…

5. I was all for Alex and Owen, before Sean was introduced. Now I absolutely adore Alex and Sean together. As for Nikita and Michael, YAY! The scene where he ran back to get her engagement ring was adorable. Nikita’s face was priceless as she watched him fight for it. Great start to the season!

6. I’ll play with the “Mikita” thing as much as anyone… But I for ine am NEVER dreaming about it!

7. Eliza says:

They need to LOSE THE VILLAIN-OF-THE-WEEK storyline. It SUUUUUUUUUUCKED. Too light. They’re gonna lose serialized viewers

• Tiffany says:

I do know what you mean. That’s what lost me. I TRIED to watch season 3 but it’s bored me to tears! At first Alex/ Sean kept me watching but it’s just gone the way of Mikita, soooooo boring. The lines, the lack of chemistry, everything has just lost magic. I tried to watch it but I feel like the scenes drag on and not just that, they jump around. The most recent ep I tried to watch was ep 5, I still think Noah Bean is the best actor on this show and I wish he’d have more scenes <3

8. Mh says:

I loved the episode, the CW definitely saved the BEST for last!!!. Im worried about what Nikita will do to Michael, but i wont worry too much, will enjoy it until it lasts.

9. I feel like the thing that is ‘horrible’ to happen to Michael is that Nikita kills Cassandra (the mother of his son) or she finds out she’s pregnant and doesn’t want it. As obvious as they are, they’re the only things I imagine that would hit pretty close to home for Michael.

10. LOVED the episode. One of my all-time favourite Nikita episodes and definitely my favourite premier. This is a show that knows how to kick off a season. Lets hope that lasts.

11. Ram510 says:

Wow this show has changed in tone since middle of season 1 through middle of season 2. It almost feels like they are doing some things to fit in with the rest of the CW line up

• Olivia says:

Silverstein has actually said from the beginning that he’s had the first three season’s planned out, so any changes you’re seeing have been intentional. Every season has had a planned beginning and end point, so there definitely hasn’t been any major influence from the CW regarding the tonal shifts.

12. luli says:

i just want more Alex and Alex/Nikita… there were not enough scenes of alex in this episode.

• Watcher says:

This! so much! god, there really wasn’t enough of Alex as well as Alex/Nikita… what a shame!
      too much silly romance, not enough Alex.

13. M3rc Nate says:

DVR didnt catch episode and didnt read this article, but all i got to say is Nikita better not sleep with anyone ever and neither should Michael. Im tired of relationships ending on tv (then of course in the last season coming together) because they betrayed the person they love most in the world in the worst way humanly possible (cheating).
    I have liked the things they have used to keep them apart and then when together, to keep them from being 100% in (Michael’s child etc). Dont go to the “we need to spice it up, cant think of anything creative, so lets have one cheat!” please.

14. Shaun says:

I laughed at Nikita jumping around like Spiderman when they guy was escaping.Such a lame stunt.

15. I Heart Chuck Bass (and Damon Salvatore) says:

Why am I suddenly afraid Nikita is going to Herschel Michael?

• sawyerf8 says:

Oh man your comment made me LOL so hard, mother knocked and asked if I was ok…
      But like the interviewer lady said, for some reason even at Comic-Con when they said “something is gonna happen to Michael” I also thought of body parts being lost…
      So now I got no clue, but bring on the new Season!

16. Patrice says:

I want more Sean and Alex, they kissed last season and now what? they are so freaking cute and sexy at the same time.

17. Demi says:

I want some Salex action for real.

18. Snake@yahoo.com says:

They build such great structure and so the arcs become the best catalyst. Top 5 show alongside Justified, SOA,BB,TWD.

19. Shey says:

I want Alex/Owen to happen so bad!!! Can’t wait to see their scenes!

20. A says:

Forget Alex/Owen, they should do Owen/Sean!!!

21. Dominique says:

Such a good first episode, writers know what they’re doing!!
    I’m really happy Owen will be back, and yes; I DO want him with Alex.
    Please stop calling us delusional. Half of every fanbase excists out of AU shippers. We’re allowed to. We just might happen to get our ship.

22. Patricia says:

Loved the episode, last season was a mess but I haven’t lost faith yet. I can’t see Owen and Alex together at all where is that even coming from? They haven’t even met yet. I like Sean he needs more stuff to do but they are good together.

23. gary says:

Anyone else think Ryan is a boring character?

24. Lea says:

I’ve been waiting so long for owen/alex to happen!!! Finally!!! Olex FTW!!

25. Shannon says:

Owen seems like such a good match for Alex… It doesn’t matter if they haven’t met, they have so many similarities that you can just tell that they are going to be great when they finally do meet. Really excited to see Owen and Alex

26. JC says:

I love this show so much and the premiere was awesome but people are not watching it. It went below the 1 million mark and only got a 0.3 demo rating. We need to watch Nikita live people we can’t lose one of the best shows in not only the CW but in the whole broadcast networks :) #SaveNikita

27. Sonny says:

Owen and Alex? are you kidding me? this dude is way too old for her.

28. Anthony says:

Not enough Alex/Sean in the season premiere BUMMER

29. Dani says:

Sean is so boring! I wish they got rid of him! I’m all for Alex and Owen!

30. Alexa says:

Sean is not boring, I would love for some development of his character though. If they want a good story, they should develop all the characters in the show. They focus too much in Nikita and Michael (Mikita) and they lost their spark in season 1.

31. Alice says:

Owen is more mature to date Nikita than Alex. I love Owen but he’s not a good match for Alex. Sean and Alex have great chemistry.

32. Katherine says:

Would love to see Alex and Owen! I believe their character dynamics would go very well together so I’m really hoping there’s a chance for a romantic relationship to develop after they meet

33. Katherine says:

I personally love Alex/Owen! There are so many parallels with their characters! Can’t wait to see them

34. Denise says:

Salex all the way

35. Dianna says:

Olex!!! I’ve been waiting so long for them to meet!! ;)

36. Patrice says:

I don’t get the appeal of Olex. Sean and Alex are a perfect match.

37. quinn says:

Owen/Alex FTW!

38. Hale says:

I’ll take Owen and Alex please! Sean and Alex have NO chemistry whatsoever!!!

39. Hedvig says:

The Alex/Owen dynamic will be interesting, I’m totally excited about that one!

40. Taylor says:

So so excited for Owen/Alex

41. kelsey says:

can’t believe we are finally getting olex..been waiting since forever for them

42. Katie says:

The Mikita engagement scene was so cute! So stoked for Olex!

43. Gleek says:

just saw a still for episode 3.04 with alex and owen..they look so good next to each other

44. Cindy says:

Devon could play Lyndsy’s older brother, I don’t like that pairing!

45. Sophie says:

I’m sorry but Olex fans are delusional

46. Anna says:

Salex is the real deal. I’m just in love with this pairing. I hope the writers don’t ruin their relationship for pleasing some fans.

47. Dianne says:

Mikita and Salex <3

48. heather says:

so excited for olex!

49. Danielle says:

I really love Sean and Alex. Seriously making the show for me and they need to kiss before episode 4 or ima freak out!!

50. Danielle says:

Sean and Alex need to kiss before episode 4 or ima freak out!!