Last Resort and 666 Park Get Additional Script Orders; Mindy Project's Season Extended

Two freshman ABC dramas received votes of confidence on Friday, while one brand-new Fox hit just became a bigger one.

RELATED | Last Resort: Is Marcus a Mad Man? What Went Wrong in D.C.? And More Burning Questions

Both Last Resort, which this Thursday inched up 6 percent after two weeks of slippage, and 666 Park Avenue, which has dipped each week since its debut, have received orders for two additional scripts. While that is well shy of receiving a full-season (or “back 9″) pick-up, it at the very least serves as an indicator that a network has faith enough to see where a new show might be headed.

In fact, Last Resort cocreator Shawn Ryan tweeted earlier this evening that next week’s episode of the military/island drama is his and partner Karl Gajdusek’s “favorite since the pilot.”

RELATED | Mindy Project Preview: Halloween Quandaries, Office Visits and Michael Scott as Role Model

Fox’s The Mindy Project, meanwhile, already received a full-season order earlier this month– but that freshman run is now bigger. Fox has ordered two additional episodes, bringing the good doc’s first cycle to 24 episodes.

1. tht19 says:

Happy about last resort and mindy indifferent towards 666 park avenue, while I liked the pilot. The next 2 episodes have been gathering dust in my tivo.

• Lena120 says:

I’m in the same boat as you. The last to 666’s are still sitting on my DVR. There’s just no rush.

• Tj says:

The body is getting full… haven’t queued up those eps either, but I do LOVE Last Resort.

• Rachel Pierce says:

The first episode of any show is just setting up the characters .. the next two episodes were fun..nobody takes this type of show seriously but we liked them and hope the series gets renewed. Once Upon a Time, well the first show of the season was good…but now we are back to Regina in power so that’s kind of boring..

2. Grace331 says:

Funny I just deleted my series recording of 666 park. But so happy I love Last Resort!

3. Ernie loves Bert says:

Surprising, you would think 666 would get cancelled any day now with those ratings.

4. tvaddict says:

Happy about Mindy but not watching the other 2

• iMember says:

You should be watching Last Resort. It’s the best new drama to premiere this season. I would say Last Resort should air after Revenge on Sundays so it has a better chance at getting larger ratings, but it’s more male skewing than Revenge is – which is another show you should be watching if you’re not already!

• I dont get invested in shows that are going to get canned. And believe me, it will.

• tripoli says:

Agreed. I’ve mostly shied away from anything new. I did watch 666 Park Avenue one night, while bored. I am intrigued but am getting annoyed with the lead female. I was interested in Last Resort but didn’t want to get invested in a potential cancellation. Maybe I should rethink that and start watching. Not all that invested in 666, so I will survive the cancellation that will most likely come.

• Dean says:

Why is it that on every show, if somebody doesn’t like it and one of the leads is a female, they always blame the woman! The lead actress is very good on 666! And yeah, start watching Last Resort.

5. You people are missing out 666 Park Avenue is really getting good. The latest episode was the best yet.

• ChrisGa says:

Yep, the pilot left something to be desired, but it’s improved with each episode and this last one was excellent.

• Wrstlgirl says:

Absolutely agree! The story is developing nicely.

• GKguy says:

Totally agree! Its getting really interesting!

• I like 666, too. And I’m a scaredy cat, so, I close my eyes on all the scary scenes, but I like the characters and the story!

• Rachel Pierce says:

We really like 666 Park Avenue.. tried to like Last Resort but just couldn’t stomach that somebody in our government bombed millions of civilian just to get control of the White House..no way..did not feel happy at the end of both trial episodes..

• bruce says:

It’s a TV show! Just like every rip-roaring thriller or mystery story you ever read; like every ripped-from-the-news spy story, IT’S JUST A TV SHOW! Mind you, I’m uncomfortable with the moments where it’s apparent that our government is behind the chicanery… but then how unreal is that… there’s always more going on than we know. But THIS IS A TV SHOW. I watched the first episide expecting to be bored stiff, watching a parade of pretty caricatures… but found enough to intrigue me. Second episode, better yet. Third, wacky but interesting. This last one, dynamite in spite of all the long preening close-ups. I’m hooked ON THIS TV SHOW!

6. Sara says:

I am very happy about the additional scripts for Last Resort. Fingers crossed for a back 9 pickup!

7. Patricia says:

Happy about last resort favorite new show

8. John From Raleigh says:

I am watching Last Resort and Revolution. Last Resort is a much better show when it comes to tension, suspense and acting. Revolution is ok… It is a fun, little show but it is a comic book to the novel which is Last Resort.

9. Mark says:

Last Resort is kinda meh. Love the Mindy Project. Mindy Kaling can do no wrong in my eyes. 666 Park Avenue is pretty good though. Love Vanessa Williams.

10. Chuck says:

The Last Resort is kinda of a drag for me. The overall plot of right winged politicians & military leaders taking over the US Government is best depicted in a motion picture. Image that the Jason Bourne movies were never produced but started as a tv series. The show would never make it half a year.

11. Ana says:

Mindy is a hit? Ok… I watch both Park Avenue and Last Resort. The first one is interesting but the writing is not great. The weekly arcs are really, really weak. They seem to interrupt the narrative rather than contribute anything to it. But I keep watching because I like the cast. From Terry to Vanessa to Rachael and Robert Buckley. I hope the writing improves. I’m more surprised about LR. I really can’t imagine where this is going. The plot just seems so over the top and lacks credibility. The first epi was exciting but then it just got weak. I’m still watching out of curiosity but the writing has been getting worst. IMO. So, it’s interesting that ABC has ordered additional epis, especially with it being an 8 o’clock showing getting 1’s in the ratings. Park Avenue gets 1’s but it’s on at 10 which is a much weaker spot. Wait, does that mean that Scandal can now get a full season order? Because it does better than both and it’s really good. This season is even better then last.

• Lola says:

I sort of think it’s a comparison thing going on. The last two shows in the Thursday 8 pm slot on ABC bombed badly, whereas Last Resort is actually holding it’s audience and slightly improved this week. Between TBBT and XFactor, nothing is getting traction in that slot.

12. Nina says:

I can’t stand Mindy project ugh.. maybe I’m not sluttty enough for that show. I kinds like the Last resort. 666 seems interesting but too slow for me.

• Thilia says:

You seem exceptionally slutty to me. I was like, what is that whore thinking?

• Mitholas says:

Nice. How is The Mindy Project slutty, exactly? I don’t recall her sleeping with a bunch of people. She’s looking for love. The show introduced itself as being about a woman who’s a little too into romantic comedies, so dating as a subject makes sense. That doesn’t make it slutty.

• StupidPeopleShutUp says:

Omfglmao

• Joey says:

I’m not a fan of the Mindy Project, but god damn, that is one of the dumbest comments I have ever read.

13. jake says:

Enjoying both Last Resort and 666 Park Ave. Good news!

14. Mohanad says:

well, that’s good. Last Resort deserve to be renewed. The Mindy Project deserve a chance. and let’s hope that FOX will give Ben&Kate a chance, too. Because the show has some potential.

15. DSS says:

Isn’t it possible that the network isn’t demonstrating faith or interested in seeing where the shows go, but is simply giving both shows the opportunity to have final episodes before they are officially canceled? Remember Pan Am? Pan Am was given one more episode, and it was a series finale.

• TMW says:

That’s exactly what I think, DSS. Both shows will have the opportunity to wrap up their storylines so that they can be marketed as miniseries overseas.

• Matt Webb Mitovich, Editor-at-Large TVLine.com says:

No, that’s not how it works. “Additional script orders” happen every fall, and it never results in a “doomed series getting to write a proper finale.” (Does anyone feel PAN AM aired a proper ending? A GIFTED MAN? They had additional script orders.) It’s just what I said above: It’s for the network decision-makers, who may be on the fence because of ratings, to see if the show is heading in a good direction.

• TMW says:

Matt, these are new times we’re living in, TV production-wise. Thank God some of the networks are catching on to the British (and cable) mode of limiting episodes. The 22 episode season is not necessarily set in stone anymore. Smash only did 15 episodes their first season and I think are doing the same thing this season. The Following on Fox will only have 10 episodes. Zero Hour on ABC will have 12. The rules are finally changing and it’s about time.

• TMW says:

Forgot to add that the scuttlebutt on all the NY sets this week was that 666 had been cancelled. I don’t know about Last Resort but I wouldn’t be too optimistic by this miniscule script order. It smells like a “let’s wrap this thing up” to me. There’s no way the ratings can improve unless they get T

16. luckylou1111 says:

Hey people, ABC has a history of not backing the fledgling dramas such as “Invasion”, “The Gates”, and “Defying Gravity.” Well written dramas such as these and many other will not survive on this network of little faith. Don’t get your hopes up. Sorry…

17. GKguy says:

With the kind of ratings it gets, I’ll take what I can get! Revolution and Last Resort are the only new dramas which I really love! 666 is getting exciting as well.

18. Brenda says:

Loving 666 Park Ave, Elementary & Revolution & hope they all stick around. Haven’t seen Last Resort.
    Amyone else watch Haven or Alphas on Syfy? Love those two as well.
    Revenge is a big favorite. The Voice is the only reality I’m watching…no XFactor, Survivor, Amazing Race or even DWTS this year. Too much reality tv these days!

• Rachel Pierce says:

Loving Haven.. Alphas is OK but no time to watch it.. Loving Revenge..agree with you on the Reality Shows.. except for Bravo ;) Waiting for Being Human to start it’s winter season. So over Dr Who..think it’s jumped the shark..

19. sawyerf8 says:

I love 666 Park Avenue more than I thought I would. And what da eff else are ABC gonna put on that time-slot anyway? I hope they stick with my new favorite devilish-show till the end
    Glad to see Last Resort up there too. It’s a shame that a show of this quality is getting such low ratings

20. Ashlyn says:

Happy about Mindy and hoping for the same with Ben&Kate. Throw in Raising Hope and New Girl, and Tuesday on FOX has become my “must-see TV” night!

21. Emanda says:

So happy about the additional orders for 666 and TLR. Last week’s epsode of 666 was much better than the previous eps.

22. StupidPeopleShutUp says:

Let’s talk more about sluttiness.

23. Andrey says:

Please watch this show. We need to get the rating up. To have more seasons.

24. angelstorm says:

Last Resort now cancelled – that sucks ! First cancellation I’ve been upset about in a while :(

25. company site says:

Hi to all, the contents present at this website are
    actually awesome for people knowledge, well, keep
    up the good work fellows.

26. You can generally serve beer and wine for this theme, and you can decorate with wreathes, garland,
    candles and anything else in the Roman fashion.

The benefits generated by these events are numerous.
    i – Mob Online has a pattern of giving odd numbers of free Respect
    Points away with its updates, and the twenty seven free Respect Points in this
    situation are just as strange.