Scandal Recap: That's a Helluva Second Act

Scandal Recap Season 2 Episode 3This week on ABC’s Scandal, the Fitz/Olivia romance got winged during a hunting party, Mellie started making plans, Quinn made a name for herself and David’s quest for the truth found him going under covers.

SPY ANXIETY | The Client of the Week was Artie (Lost/Mad Men‘s Patrick Fischler), a data wonk for the NSA who stumbled across a super-double-top-secret program called Thorngate (?), which with a few keystrokes can spy on any American citizen. (Frankly, it was pretty cool, though I will now be sure to be clean-shaven when working in front of my MacBook.) Olivia reaches out to an old beau, Senator Davis (played by Norm Lewis), for intel, but he warns her not to mess with the NSA: “Their ball, their bat, their rules.” Soon enough, Cyrus tells Fitz about the Artie problem — and the all-too-familiar fixer fending for him.

SHOT THROUGH THE HEART | Secret Service gents come calling for Olivia, who is escorted to the site of Fitz’s hunting party with an NRA bigwig. Liv resents being summoned, but Fitz is in no mood for games: “Get out of the car!” He straps proper footwear on her and they get to talking about how she’s committing treason and harboring a fugitive by fronting for Artie. Fitz then lobs in a mention of her senator sweetheart. “Stop walking!” shouts Liv, and Fitz turns, heads to her and they start going at it so, so, so ardently, the Secret Service guys can only look away. (Makes one wonder what Clinton’s detail could dish on!) When Fitz heads for second, Liv tears herself away: “I am not yours! I don’t show up in places because you want me!… This is over.”

LIGHTS, CAMERA, DISTRACTION! | When Artie’s only confidante turns up dead, in a staged OD, Liv preps him to go on primetime TV and tell his tale. When the government files an injunction to squelch the sit-down, Liv calls their bluff by presenting the network boss with “compelling” evidence of Thorngate’s power. But later, alone with Huck, Artie stages a stove fire as a distraction to steal back his copy of the software and sneak out a window. Turns out he was playing Pope & Associates all along, knowing they’d help open up Thorngate. Huck isn’t one to be idly hoodwinked, though, so, after Olivia secures 12 hours to recapture Artie on behalf of the NSA, he tracks down Artie and pops him with a tranq dart.

FURIOUS LADY | Coming off a cozy moment they shared over an antique hand-sewn layette for America’s Baby™, Mellie arranges a quiet dinner for her and Fitz, but he comes back from the hunting hot. The First Lady quizzes Secret Service Agent 1 and Secret Service Agent 2 on what happened by the lake, and gleans all she needs to. “You took her hunting?!” Mel tells Fitz she needs to start making plans for herself, because his foolishness is fating him to have a one-term presidency, while she has a “bright, bright political future… a helluva second act” ahead of her. Mellie’s last warning: Get. Over Her! And for good measure: “If you ever see her again, I’ll blow you away — and I’m an excellent shot, remember.” (Hunting joke callback!)

SAY MY NAME! | While celebrating at the bar Huck’s own “hunting” expedition, Abby refers to Quinn as “Lindsay” for the umpteenth yet final time. “Go screw yourself,” Quinn tells her colleague with an intensity that the TV-friendly “screw” didn’t quite convey. “I go by one name now, and it’s not Lindsay!” Or as Harrison translated for Red: “I’m Quinn, bitch!” Left alone, Abby is approached by David, looking to have a drink… but as the hour closes, we realize they wound up having a whole lot more than that, in bed. (Joshua Malina called it!)

What did you think of Scandal‘s “Hunting Season” episode? Did you see the hook-up coming?

1. TV Gord says:

That was an incredible episode! This show proves that Shonda can do soapy without being sappy. We need more of this from her and less of whiny Meredith 50-Pale-Shades-of-Grey.

2. Leondre says:

It was a good episode

3. Margaret says:

AMAZING episode!! but I was hoping for Norm Lewis!!

• LILI says:

Calm down!. Norm Lewis is should play Olivia’s father . this guy is not sexy at all. give me a break. So many amazing and handsome blacks men. This dude is banal. This is a joke with this guy.

4. LoverofTV says:

This show is the absolute best! So juicy and scandalous!

5. LoverofTV says:

Also…the cast is top-notch when it comes to live tweeting the show, extremely engaging and interactive with fans. The cast is top-notch when it comes to acting too.

6. gem says:

I put this at the tops for me because my jaw literally sprang open when I saw Abby and David in bed. That twist with Artie was awesome and I want to smack myself for not seeing that coming! As for Huck well I’m believing him for now…hmmm. Fitz and Liv awesome as ever but I do realize that these two need a break unti…As for Mellie I have a range of emotions when it comes to her and I believe its bc she’s pregnant. TOTALLY AWESOME TONIGHT!

7. Alichat says:

For the love of god can they get rid of Abby??? PLEASE!!! I can’t STAND that character. It astounds me that they cut Henry Ian Cusick’s character but kept this whiny, arrogant woman!

• Kel says:

Couldn’t agree more!!

• Amanda says:

THIS!!!!!

She is overkill! the whole “Lindsay” thing wasn’t funny, I was over it long ago! But this is what I can’t get….why does she care so much?? They were all troubled people before Olivia got to them, so is she actually shocked that Quinn has a past? Didn’t she kill or chop off something of her ex-husbands? What makes her the Prophet? Bring back Henry!!!!

8. lili says:

Very good episode. but Mellie , sorry I can’t stand her. Poor Fitz,
    manipulative and arrogant woman. I feel sad for her . the true is . Fitz is in love with Olivia.
    I do not feel sorry , when she uses her pregnancy .
    This woman is too manipulative . her end game is to be president . Sorry I am little tired of her.

9. Annika says:

Amazing episode, I usually see all kinds of twists coming but not with this!

10. Tedi says:

I loved the episode!!
    Melly really had me at the top of the episode, I thought she was funny and charming but once again it proved to extremely short-lived. I do feel some pity for her and I understand her hurt,but I still don’t want her marriage to Fitz to last. Next week’s preview makes it seem as if Fitz and Olivia are going to officially be over…not sure I can handle that!:’(

11. SA says:

This show is extremely good this season. Hoping the ratings improve as it is quickly becoming one of my favorites.

• Dawn says:

Did any notice the sound of Fitz’s voice when he said, “is he is all that you ever dreamed?” Fitz was jealous and mad as hell. Who would have thought that he would have remembered to bring her comfortable boots and put them on himself! That was very sexy and he also was checking her out. What a great show! The preview for next thursday have me reeling.

12. pecola says:

Abby’s whiny? Really, Alichat?!

There’s overwhelming evidence that Quinn committed a crime and Olivia’s not divulging why she believes Quinn and why she brought Quinn onto the team. I think her skepticism and cynicism is totally understandable.

• Amanda says:

That would be true if she was clean cut, but she has demons (heck they all have demons) in her back pocket, so who is she to judge? She doesn’t know Huck’s pass and he looks crazy, don’t see her pressing for that….she’s being a bully and now that Quinn told her were to stuff it, I bet she backs off and this whole David thing is forced…

13. HA says:

Ok, Where are the other kids the president and milly have? they are never mentioned but thye have other kids right?

• Amanda says:

They don’t have any kids, that’s why this is “American’s Baby” most other presidents either have children or adult children when they enter the white house. What makes this birth popular is because this is the first born born in the white house….remember on the campaign trail she said she suffered a miscarriage and he believed her, but she was lying and that’s what supposedly started him to dislike her.

• dany says:

they have 2 daughters. remember on season 1, when Olivia went to the WH and they talked about how the girls liked being in the WH? Also, during the campaign when Mellie and Fitz are arguing and Mellie says “I had kids for you…”

• annie russell says:

they have 2 other children remember on episode 6 first season the was argiung with fitz and say she gave him 2 kids even though she didnt want to

14. Keren says:

I did not see that twist coming… Excellent job, writers!!

15. Carrie says:

I LOVE Fitz and Olivia (mainly because Kerry and Tony have crazy chemistry) but I’m glad they are putting some distance between them. Fitz is in no place to give Olivia what she deserves. And of course the tension between the two of them is very compelling television. I can’t stand Mellie. Last season she was pissed with Olivia for leaving Fitz and now she’s pissed that Fitz can’t get over her. In a show of sassy and strong women she’s just plain old annoying.

• bigdede says:

I am also glad they are putting distance between them otherwise Olivia would be lonely for the whole show since Fritz can’t be with her. Olivia and Fritz have the best chemistry. The fact that Fritz can’t have her which makes him jealousy so sexy. What he said to her about the senator was so good. But I want to see Olivia happy with a relationship. I also agree about Mellie. First she was mad Olivia stopped seeing Fritz now she’s mad he is seeing her. That woman is crazy or maybe the writers forgot that tidbit.

16. KB23 says:

LOVE this show! Great episode!

17. Donna says:

Love this show – it makes my heart race every week. Just one observation – Artie didn’t steal his own copy of Thorngate back – he stole the version where Huck broke the encryption code. It would have been worth much less to him on the black market without that.

18. Kia says:

I don’t get the reason for them talking so fast though…too much…I know it’s suppose to be serious and “suspenseful” but enough with the fast talking.

19. mary ann johnson says:

melle should pursue her career as the new love interest with criminal minds star thomas gibson. He is in need of a good personal relationship. She has bonded with his motherless son. Maybe she can die in child birth.
    l

20. cecilia says:

I have a real problem with the scenes being cut off by camera flashes. I can’t stand it, it’s so irritating. Flash, flash, flash, flash, flash, flash. Are they trying to inflict epileptic seizures?

21. Clothil says:

I like Mellie , this powerful, crazy and ambitious woman. I like to hate her. but she is good.
    I really hope Fitz & olivia is not over. because it will be the end of Scandal. this 2 actors are so fantastic, amazing together.

22. JoJo says:

Norm Lewis ex lover of Olivia ? where is Micheal Early, handsome & hot & sexy.
    what a weird choice ?