Ratings: Horror Story Returns to Crazy Numbers

The Wednesday night premiere of American Horror Story: Asylum, the second chapter in Ryan Murphy’s spookfest, delivered insanely good numbers for FX — a total audience of 3.85 million viewers, with 2.8 mil landing in the 18-49 demo (based on fast nationals).

RELATED | American Horror Story Lures Dylan McDermott Back For Asylum-Set Season 2

Those tallies best any episode of the original American Horror Story miniseries, and mark gains of 20 and 40 percent from AHS‘ year-ago launch.

Asylum currently stands as the 10 o’clock hour’s No. 2 program in 18-49, behind CBS’ CSI and ahead of ABC’s Nashville and NBC’s Chicago Fire, and trounced all time slot rivals in the Adults 18-34 and Women 18-34 demos.

1. the guy says:

Wow 2.8 in the demo! That’s awesome! But what did others think of the new setting and story? I thought it was not as compelling as season 1.

2. Carrie says:

I thought the set up is way more compelling than last season, the Harmon’s just weren’t a sympathetic family.

• ryanandhobbes says:

The questions is, do we want characters on AHS with whom we sympathize? The show is depressing enough without truly liking the characters that you know will eventually meet their demise. (and I mean the show is depressing in an entirely positive, entertaining way)

3. Joe says:

I liked last years first episode but as the season wore on It just went all over story wise , last nights episode got off to a promising start ( did not really care about the horny honeymooners though) I watch a couple more and than make a decision

4. Jake says:

I felt there was more to cling to last season. While you dot have to necessarily like the characters, you have to care and be invested in them. It seems like that might be hard this season, especially with how many there are.

• the guy says:

Exactly.

• Leo says:

The first few episodes of Season 1 are completely terrifying, literally speaking. But the writing only got up from there and the season ended with a high note.
        This season, I felt like we got off on a very high note. With aliens in tow, Bloody Face and ‘monster’. One episode and we’ve been introduced to these three villains.
        Consider I’m hooked!

• I agree with you here. BUT… it wasn’t until episode 4 of last season that I was completely hooked! I had such a high expectation for this episode though. I waited a year for this lol I was hoping they would hook me in a little more than it did.

5. kate says:

I really liked the episode but at the same time I felt they were trying so hard to be creepy/weird that they lost a little of the story telling aspect of it – it came in short bursts and the rest was just with creepy weirdness. I hope that changes a bit. I really like the show, so I always hope it keeps telling a good story.

• A says:

I agree. I thought the beginnings of a good storyline were there, and I hope it gets better. I was underwhelmed to say the least. Every minute felt forced for shock value. I expect better from AHS.

6. Mina says:

I think I could enjoy the season if they resolved the pacing; it felt a little too erratic. Maybe if they wanted to leave the audience feeling out of breath then certain scenes seemed to work, but I guess I prefer a slower burn. And there just might be too much stuff going on. The creature living in the asylum, the other creatures in the woods, the aliens (?), secondhand crazies from Girl, Interrupted…
    I’m sure there will be more nonessential characters added along the way a la S1. Big fan of the lead actors though.

7. rachelle says:

it was awesome!! i have nothing negative to say about it. i though Adam Levine was great for this being his first real acting gig. i’m intrigued, compelled, terrified, everything! i can’t wait for the story to unfold. i felt really sad over what happened to Alma, though. her and Bloody Face were so cute, so their story definitely makes me a little sad. Jessica Lange is a fantastic actress, i have too much to say, so i’ll just reiterate: i loved it! been a fan since day 1!

8. Emily says:

It was amazing.
    I feel like it has such a detailed storyline that it takes a few episodes to really get into it.

I agree with Joe, the honeymooner storyline sucked, unless they find a creative way to tie it back in to the 60’s….time traveling Adam Levine, possibly? ;)

9. nate p says:

Great pilot episode, glad it did so well. Hope it stays up and they decide to give us another season after this. There isn’t a lot of great tv shows on nowadays so more ahs will be great.

10. Coco says:

I think the season opener had to set up the various webs so they could be woven all season long so for a few minutes it was all over the place at first but then it became more cohesive. As for being attached to the characters, I don’t expect that to happen after just one episode. Honestly, who was in love with the entire cast right after the pilot episode of season 1? I loved the first season but I was not truly hooked on the cast until about the fourth episode or so. Give it time. I think once it hits it’s groove, we are in for an awesome ride.

11. Marc says:

Not the best effort for a 2ns season… I hope it gets better because I loved season 1 and the cast is talented.

12. Mitch says:

Since i couldn’t watch it on tv when it premiered, i settled with on my computer… what a good decision that was! no commercials, dark room, headphones in, volume up… it was 40minutes of pure awesomeness!

From the shocking dismemberment, to alien abductions, to wacky doctors, to bloodyface, to forrest creatures, to sister jude’s sexual desires, to alien spiders, to lana being trapped, to nymphomaniacs, to fece throwing patients, and lastly to the insanely creepy insane asylum. They set the tone and I can’t wait for more!

13. Nero theTVFiddler says:

I just watched via DVR – good episode. What caught my eye in the numbers/ratings results is the 18-34 demo in women; I wonder what network show (CSI/Nashville/CFire) those viewers may have watched if not for AHS? My guess is ABC’s Nashville may have gained those viewers. Being a 10pm show is no longer such a great location on the schedule for a broadcast network show – lots of really good cable competition.