Exclusive

Mockingbird Lane Exclusive First Look: New Munsters Family Portrait Hints at Major Spoiler

Our latest Mockingbird Lane sneak peek comes with a challenge: There’s something not quite right about the following never-before-seen cast shot from NBC’s upcoming Munsters update… but what is it?

Give up? Okay, take a close look at Eddie Izzard’s Grandpa. Doesn’t it appear as if he shaved about three decades off his life compared to all of the previously-released artwork for the project? (Hint: Yes, yes it does.)

VIDEO | Mockingbird Lane — Watch the Trailer!

What’s his beauty secret? A Mockingbird source tells TVLine that there’s a twist at the end of the hourlong special (airing next Friday at 8/7c) that triggers Gramps’ youthful transformation.

Think you know what it is? Hit the comments with your theories!

1. He’s a vampire, right? So…he sucks somebody’s (Cheyenne Jackson’s) blood?

2. Gerald says:

Really looking forward to this. I know it’s a long shot, but I’m kind of hoping it does really well and gets picked up to series.

3. Why does Marylin have to dress in such an outdated fashion? Is it to pander to nostalgia for the original series? why can’t she be a modern, normal human woman?

• Kate says:

Her dress reminds me of a dress from Pushing Daisies, Bryan Fuller’s last (amazing) show. Chuck wore retro 50s or 60s styles for most of the series, but she was a “modern, normal human woman,” not some kind of downtrodden housewife or anything. She just had great (imo) style. I would guess that’s what they’re going for here with Marilyn, too. It seems like more of a visual thing fitting with Fuller’s style than anything. (And btw, I think that dress is amazing. I’d wear it!)

4. Andrew says:

i cant wait, nbc is SO dumb for not ordering a full series

5. Isn’t he a vampire? That would be my guess as to how he looks more youthful; ie drinking the blood of the innocent

6. CarolH says:

I am so upset that this is not going into a series…c’mon NBC!!!

7. Robert says:

I am so glad to see that I am not alone in the hope that NBC get their act together and just take this to series. You would not believe the ignorant comments on other forums before they even shot the pilot!

8. Jared says:

I can’t wait for Mockingbird Lane..but does it really matter that grandpa looks younger? Its not like there’s gonna be a second episode..although I wouldn’t mind a series order if the pilot is good.

9. Eric says:

If this pilot was ordered to series, it might even renew my faith in NBC. Well, if they stop hating on Community… It feels as though I’ve been waiting for this series forever, and to know that I will now most likely only see a single episode is unfortunate. The sneak peeks appear amazing.

10. rachelle says:

very excited! this looks intrigued. I wish this was a series because I LOVE Bryan Fuller’s style and visuals. he killed with Pushing Daisies, an AMAZING show that I still cry for.

11. Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

Where are Cousin It and Thing?

12. I LOVE Eddie Izzard! And I’m excited about this reboot – I REALLY hope NBC takes it to series.

13. Angel says:

Needs to be a full series because everone love the Munster

14. dennisrayburn says:

It’s simply a desperation move to stir up interesting in the pilot.

15. Rachel says:

Watching this for Eddie Izzard alone, don’t care about anything else. Eddie will kill it.

16. Eve says:

how many episodes are in the can for this show??? Love the cast, love the premise! Why is it that whimsical well written shows never get a chance these days???

17. Dan says:

Where’s Lurch!?

18. Wow. Reading all the previous comments, I am convinced of the degredation of the American viewing audience. You are looking forward to this? I admit it will serve the purpose of draining all thought and energy of those watching with the half a bag of cheetos on their lap, but beyond that…

19. sharon says:

Can’t wait to see the show. Always loved the munsters. Although I wish the people playing lilly and herman looked more in like they did back then. Because herman was a frankenstien and lilly was dressed more ghoulesh

20. Carol says:

not interested in this reboot at all. trailers look so stupid. jerry o’connell was annoying on Ellen yesterday. won’t be watching.

21. michele says:

My family looooved it!! They will be disappointed when I tell them it isn’t a series.

22. Kevin says:

Charity Wakefield’s turn as a delightfully psychotic Marilyn, is the ONLY tollerable thing this show had to offer me. WHERE was the Munster’s car?!?

23. vj says:

The show can go pretty far. I would like to see more, much more. both thumbs up!

24. Lisa says:

What is wrong with NBC?! I really like this show…would love to see more! Although, Jerry O’Connell as Herman may be my least favorite part of the show.

25. Tammy says:

This show rocks! To all the nay sayers out there give it a rest. Its time to bring back t.v. To pure entertainment. The cast of this show is perfect. An excellent get away from the dumb reality shows. Lets face it we all know about reality lets bring on the fantasy. To the producers keep up the great work to the network keep thinking outside the box.

26. After hearing all the rumors about this reincarnation of “The Munster’s” I was not looking forward to it. A friend of mine called and said “Well, at least we will get to see how bad it is because, NBC has decided to air the pilot as a Halloween special.” I set my DVR and actually sat down to watch it live. As the opening shot of the forest appeared to a haunting version of the original Munster’s theme, I was ready for anything. And much to my surprise They had me hooked within the first minute as a troupe of scouts were attached by a “Baby Bear” aka Eddie Munster (Mason Cook) transformed into a werewolf. I laughed so hard as one of the fleeing scouts who was stuck in his sleeping bag is slammed into a tree and literally gets the stuffing knocked out of him.

Then it’s off to Mockingbird Lane where Marilyn Munster, (Charity Wakefield)
    the plain one or is she a psycho-path? is purchasing the Munster Manor. AKA The Hobo Murder House. Next up a silhouette of what appears to be a Frankenstein monster with the classic flat head and bolts in his neck turns out to be Herman (Jerry O’Connell) with a stitched scar across his neck. And finally the delivery of two boxes (Coffins?) from which an army of rats appears and transforms into Grandpa Munster, Call him “D” (Eddie Izzard). And a cloud of smoke that transforms into Lilly Munster (Portia DeRossi).

With the Munsters all assembled the plot of the pilot begins. It was filled with very funny and subdued comic lines. And they were delivered with impeccable timing by Eddie Izzard as Grandpa Munster. Eddie Izzard has done for the Munsters what Raul Julia Did as Gomez for “The Addams Family” reboot. This show was highly original and visually stunning. The sets added to the character of the show,

I am a die hard Munster Fan. I recently had a “Munster Go Home” Movie night at my home with over 60 guests in attendance. I did not look at this new series as a remake but, clearly as a new twist on classic characters. It is not the classic slap stick comedy that the Munster’s was. It is a way to introduce the family to a new generation of fans. And as a die hard fan I will say I have even enjoyed the colorized copy of The Munster’s Episode “Family Portrait”. My kids were more interested in watching it as kids today don’t really go for the Black and White prints. So giving them a new look in “Mockingbird Lane” is fine with me. I am sure it will peek interest in the original as well. And this reboot is a million times better then the two previous ones. “Here Com the Munster’s” and “The Munster’s Very Scary Christmas.” Both of which were an example of actors doing a bad impression of the original cast.

With 5.4 million viewers NBC would be foolish not to jump on “Mockingbird Lane” as a mid season replacement. I cant believe they would green light a piece of trash like “Animal Practice” (now cancelled) yet would not have the vision or forsight to see what a gem they have in “Mockingbird Lane.” The need to move forward with this extremely funny and entertaining pilot. I give high marks to the stars of Mockingbird lane for breathing new life into these beloved classic TV characters. And even higher marks to Bryan Fuller and Bryan Singer for taking the helm of this project and steering it to what was a brilliant reboot and a ratings winner for not only the pilot but for boosting “Grimm’s” ratings and giving NBC the Win of the night.

I hope to see more of “Mockingbird Lane”, much more………